The Duke of Cambridge and Conservation Efforts 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Presidents of USA & China have made a joint commitment to combat wildlife trafficking incl. bans on ivory sales
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/09/25/fact-sheet-president-xi-jinpings-state-visit-united-states

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
The Duke raised the issue of the fight against the Illegal Wildlife Trade with Xi and @POTUS in the past year
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/648821551769518080

The Duke of Cambridge will give a speech on the Illegal Wildlife Trade on Chinese television next month – stay tuned!

It is really heartening to see the small seeds planted globally on this issue really starting to take root and grow as a global effort working together.

I'm willing to bet my last cashew that William's message to China coincides with the state visit from China to the UK in October. :flowers:

William has written another article (this time for the Financial Times) about poaching:

The illegal wildlife trade is the elephant in the room - FT.com

Very well written!

What a wonderful article that clearly shows William's passion for this cause. I've been recently taken to task in another thread stating that I give far too much credit to William for getting President Obama and President Xi Jinping on board working for this global effort and this article has just made me stand firm behind my conviction even more.

Well done William! :flowers:

Excellent William! Well written and hopefully impactful

Prince William: How Would I Explain to My Kids if Rhinos and Elephants Went Extinct?

With the world facing myriad challenges, Prince William has explained why he is so passionate about helping wildlife.

The royal wrote an op-ed published Sunday in the U.K.'s Financial Times in which he asks how leaders can convince the public there are solutions to complex global threats, such as terrorism or climate change, if they can't begin by saving some of our planet's endangered animals. The piece comes alongside an investigation made by the paper highlighting the trade in animal parts in Africa.

As head of the United for Wildlife coalition, William, 33, has met with President Obama and President Xi Jinping of China in the last 12 months. Now, those leaders have agreed to act together in the fight.

"I cannot imagine what it would feel like if the last elephant or rhinoceros in the wild died – and I then had to explain to my children how we let it happen," writes the father of Prince George, 2, and Princess Charlotte, 5 months.
Read more: Prince William: How Would I Explain to My Kids if Elephants Went Extinct? : People.com

Video: VIDEO: Prince William Pens Heartfelt Op-Ed to End Illegal Wildlife Trade : Video : People.com

Well done, William!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah
The Duke of Cambridge will give a speech on Chinese tv CCTV1 on October 19 on the urgent work needed to combat the illegal wildlife trade

Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah
The Duke of Cambridge will give a speech on Chinese tv CCTV1 on October 19 on the urgent work needed to combat the illegal wildlife trade
That's the day before the state visit right? Clever.

Prince William will pull off a major coup on Monday when he records a TV programme to be seen by 100 million Chinese people.

The Duke of Cambridge will speak to his biggest ever audience in a programme for Chinese state television highlighting the threat to endangered species posed by the trade in illegal wildlife products.

His stock has risen so much in China since his successful official visit there in March that he was given free rein to choose his own topic for discussion, and his own guests, for an edition of Let’s Talk, a one-hour current affairs show on CCTV1, China’s equivalent of BBC1.

In stark contrast to his father, who has repeatedly snubbed the Chinese to make a point about human rights abuses in Tibet, the Duke has decided that engagement with the Communist country is the best way to bring about change.
Read more: Popular prince to speak out against wildlife trade to an audience of 100m - Telegraph

^^^ I'm not sure. I think its for just a part of the program. One of William's guests is Bear Grylls. KP will be providing updates.

The Duke's speech will be filmed at the Maughan Library @KingsCollegeLon. Follow us @KensingtonRoyal for live updates from 4pm UK time!

No matter how long the time slot is, I do really think William being allowed air time on Chinese TV is really a huge compliment to Wills and his work for United for Wildlife. Strong, diplomatic relationships have to start somewhere and China joining in United for Wildlife's efforts is a pretty good start in my book.

No matter how long the time slot is, I do really think William being allowed air time on Chinese TV is really a huge compliment to Wills and his work for United for Wildlife. Strong, diplomatic relationships have to start somewhere and China joining in United for Wildlife's efforts is a pretty good start in my book.
Oh I agree! I totally agree!! I think this is a huge thing! A great seal of approval in diplomatic standards I would say. I mean... he's gonna talk about animal rights, on government funded state tv in CHINA! That's BIG!

I was mostly wondering out of curiousity :p

Yao Ming, Sir David Attenborough and Bear Grylls will be William's guests on CCTV1 Let's Talk programme

Last edited:
Oh god. That speech was so good! Moving, touching, poignant and not condecending! What a great balance they managed to get in the speech! And a powerful delivery from Prince William. I am REALLY proud!

Sky News ‏@SkyNews 26m26 minutes ago
Prince William: "My ancestors were among those who had little concern about acquiring ivory" but times have changed
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/656135144818896896

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 12m12 minutes ago
The Duke's rejection of ivory "not a judgement of past generations" but "an acceptance of ...the world I want my children to inherit."

Sky News ‏@SkyNews 26m26 minutes ago
Prince William: "My ancestors were among those who had little concern about acquiring ivory" but times have changed
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/656135144818896896

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 12m12 minutes ago
The Duke's rejection of ivory "not a judgement of past generations" but "an acceptance of ...the world I want my children to inherit."
I like how he made that connection, showing that he wasn't standing there trying to lecture anyone. Very clever

IMO it was wise of him to speak directly to the families that would be watching this speech tonight and to address the ivory trade of today and not the past. He acknowledges his own family's participation in the collection of ivory.

IMO it was wise of him to speak directly to the families that would be watching this speech tonight and to address the ivory trade of today and not the past. He acknowledges his own family's participation in the collection of ivory.
I agree. The whole speech was very well balanced!

Video:
The Duke of Cambridge has given a speech on the illegal ivory trade, broadcast on state TV in China, ahead of the arrival of the country's president in the UK on Monday evening for a state visit-

Home - ITNSource News

The Duke of Cambridge and Conservation Efforts

I love that William's speech was geared towards families, whether the ones who are hurt by the illegal poaching, or the ones who may have benefitted from it in the past. He was very passionate, and I think his point came across quite well.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Addressing the problem with families and consumers was a great move, as was highlighting the daily poaching and killing of rangers. Also, bringing up the tourism angle was good--what will happen to the people living in regions with endangered animals--this will be a world-wide issue one day very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom