Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to India - April 10-16, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You had the same sort of comparison when they took baby George to NZ & Aus. They even went to Uluru like Charles and Diana. The Cambridges have never been to India.

Going to the Taj Mahal is one of those iconic places, like the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Pyramids in Egypt, Opera House in Sidney etc. Almost every where they go and previous Royal has been there before.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
On one hand, a stop at the Taj Mahal is undoubtedly a tourist's delight and a visit from the Cambridges will help tourism in the area.
But William's parents' marital baggage will be trotted out by the press - and I'm dreading that.
And while the romantic tale seems wonderful, the site also is symbolic of the Hindu slavery of the time. Not that slavery was uncommon in the 1600s. Just that no romance tale on that scale is entirely dreamy. There is always an ugly underbelly.
It will be interesting to see how they balance this stop with others on the day and overall in their visit as there are many important stops one could make in India.. And where they pose for photos will be fascinating. And I am sure it's already been discussed/decided.

You had the same sort of comparison when they took baby George to NZ & Aus. They even went to Uluru like Charles and Diana. The Cambridges have never been to India.

Going to the Taj Mahal is one of those iconic places, like the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Pyramids in Egypt, Opera House in Sidney etc. Almost every where they go and previous Royal has been there before.

Right, it's just inevitable that the Cambridge's would visit India and go to the Taj Mahal.

The visit is on behalf of HM's government, so there is that interest, the royals' interest and also the Indian government's own interests.

It was the same when the Cambridges came to Canada in 2011. The Canadian government wanted them to do certain things and visit certain places.

A visit to India without a stop at the Taj seems almost impossible to me

I'm think that if they do pose in front of the Taj Mahal, the references will be made to Will's parent's unhappy marriage. If they choose not to pose in front of the Taj Mahal, the references to Will's parent's unhappy marriage will be trotted out anyways notating that they "chose" to avoid this photo op for whatever silly reason the folks at places like the Fail care to dream up.

W&K should do whatever is comfortable for them and ignore anything that comes out of it.

:previous: That headline cracks me up. Sums it up nicely too. :D

Why is it a problem? We'll see a happy couple instead of a lonely woman. I guess Will & Kate will visit a lot of places where Charles & Di went, probably South Korea too.
We will see how the photo gets represented. The problem is that any photo we get of them gets sliced, diced and otherwise analyzed for secret meaning. One or the other of them will be accused of being bored, indifferent, secretly angry, guilty, obsessed, negative, fake, or whatever. Evidence - the reaction to most official couple and family photos that they have released.
The problem is that it takes the focus off the good stuff they do. JMO.
I'm also really over the poor, pitiful Diana story. It adds almost nothing to any discussion and is such a rehash. I've moved on.

What's one more comparison they will never stop. As for taking the kids why disrupt their routine. They will be well taken care of at home in surroundings they know. And with skype Kate and William will be able to see and talk to them where ever they are.

Interesting that The Mirror keeps calling her Kate Middleton. I never see Danish newspapers media to Mary Donaldson, Belgian media to Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz or Luxembourgian media to Stéphanie de Lannoy. I wonder if this is meant as a snub towards Catherine?

I wouldn't read too much into it. I think its more to do with the everyday reader being able to do a search. Middleton is what she was known as for years before her marriage and people tend to remember that moreso than Duchess of Cambridge. Shorter to type too. This is also somewhat common with Camilla. She's called Parker-Bowles still in many places.

I wouldn't read too much into it. I think its more to do with the everyday reader being able to do a search. Middleton is what she was known as for years before her marriage and people tend to remember that moreso than Duchess of Cambridge. Shorter to type too. This is also somewhat common with Camilla. She's called Parker-Bowles still in many places.
Yeah, I agree. While it annoys me, it's all about site clicks, searchability and stuff like that.

It sounds like an absolutely fabulous itinerary. What an experience it will be!

The itinerary soulds excellent, with variegate things to see.

Odd that less than two weeks before they are leaving their itinerary is still not settled.

April 10
A cricket game
Banganga Water Tank
British Asian Trust

April 11
A bar and restaurant
Lay a wreath
Visit Ghandi's
Birthday party for the Queen

April 12
Not firm
Visit to national park

April 13
Visit a national park

April 14
tour of Bhutan
Watching sport
Dinner with King & Queen

April 15
Monastery

April 16
Taj Mahal

This will be the most :whistling:ambitious tour:ermm: Their Royal Highnesses have undertaken outside a Realm nation and promises to be the most colourful tour to date.

Odd that less than two weeks before they are leaving their itinerary is still not settled.

April 10
A cricket game
Banganga Water Tank
British Asian Trust

April 11
A bar and restaurant
Lay a wreath
Visit Ghandi's
Birthday party for the Queen

April 12
Not firm
Visit to national park

April 13
Visit a national park

April 14
tour of Bhutan
Watching sport
Dinner with King & Queen

April 15
Monastery

April 16
Taj Mahal
I would bet my left hand that all the dates are set. The only things they said would be told at a later date were visits in vulnable areas and a meeting with an official. Sounds more like security reasons than them not knowing. Also, that is a WAY simplified scheduel you put up there.

^^^I agree that the dates have likely been established long ago but for security reasons the details have been announced at a later date.

^^^I agree that the dates have likely been established long ago but for security reasons the details have been announced at a later date.

I'm agreeing with the opinion that full details aren't being released due to security reasons. Especially after what we've seen happening over and over in the world today, I don't think they can be too careful. Its nice that they're giving us a general overall itinerary yet keeping these high profile people's security as a first priority.

The unsimplified schedule looks more like this (I think I've got everything:

April 10
  • Lay wreath and meet staff at Taj Palace Hotel
  • A cricket game + meet with charities
  • Banganga Water Tank (SMILE charity)
  • British Asian Trust/British High Commission gala fundraiser in support of 3 charities

April 11
  • GREAT campaign/Startup India event for young entrepreneurs at The Social (A bar/restaurant/collaborative workspace)
  • Lay a wreath at India Gate
  • Visit Ghandi Smriti museum
  • Birthday party for the Queen w speech by William

April 12
  • To be announced engagement
  • Private meeting with NGOs
  • Bohag Bihu festival evening bonfire at national park

April 13
  • Tour national park
  • Meet with rangers of Kaziranga, w speech by William
  • Meet with local villagers
  • Center for Wildlife Rehabilitation and Conservation, including meeting with members of Green Hub
  • Kaziranga Discovery Centre (built by Elephant Family, Mark Shand's charity)

April 14
  • Thimphu Dzong, with Chipdrel (welcoming procession) and audience and blessing with King and Queen
  • Watching national sport of Bhutan, including meeting local young people
  • Dinner with King & Queen

April 15
  • Six hour hike to Monastery
  • Reception for British nationals and Bhutanese with strong British ties

April 16
  • Taj Mahal (though it's unclear if they'll be doing anything else in Agra, since the paragraph in the release is way more about being respectful of Diana than it is what they'll actually do)

Thank you hel. This looks much more like the itinerary's we're accustomed to seeing from the BRF. Nice to see them visiting the Discovery Center sponsored by the late Mark Shand's charity.

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to India - April 10-16, 2016

Six hour hike at altitude= Payback for press corps. ?

The unsimplified schedule looks more like this (I think I've got everything:

April 10
  • Lay wreath and meet staff at Taj Palace Hotel
  • A cricket game + meet with charities
  • Banganga Water Tank (SMILE charity)
  • British Asian Trust/British High Commission gala fundraiser in support of 3 charities

April 11
  • GREAT campaign/Startup India event for young entrepreneurs at The Social (A bar/restaurant/collaborative workspace)
  • Lay a wreath at India Gate
  • Visit Ghandi Smriti museum
  • Birthday party for the Queen w speech by William

April 12
  • Private meeting with NGOs
  • Bohag Bihu festival evening bonfire at national park

April 13
  • Tour national park
  • Meet with rangers of Kaziranga, w speech by William
  • Meet with local villagers
  • Center for Wildlife Rehabilitation and Conservation, including meeting with members of Green Hub
  • Kaziranga Discovery Centre (built by Elephant Family, Mark Shand's charity)

April 14
  • Thimphu Dzong, with Chipdrel (welcoming procession) and audience and blessing with King and Queen
  • Watching national sport of Bhutan, including meeting local young people
  • Dinner with King & Queen

April 15
  • Six hour hike to Monastery
  • Reception for British nationals and Bhutanese with strong British ties

April 16
  • Taj Mahal (though it's unclear if they'll be doing anything else in Agra, since the paragraph in the release is way more about being respectful of Diana than it is what they'll actually do)
Thank you :)

Reactions: hel
I tried the map thing again. Stops are noted on the map and you should be able to select them and also look at street or earth views.
Day 1 (without location for evening reception) Mumbai https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chh...d702f2689f6!2m2!1d72.8051643!2d18.9560652!3e0

Day 2
There are several Socials in Mumbai -and no location for the Startup India event. So this is the map for the plane to Delhi: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chh...bc8589e6367b8!2m2!1d77.086816!2d28.557024!3e0

Still Day 2 in Delhi: https://goo.gl/maps/pL95uJQVMUp

Day 3, Two UN-detialed stops in Delhi then on to the National Park https://goo.gl/maps/2YVFoDqGZrJ2
Day 4 stops at the National Park: https://goo.gl/maps/naNnPxvy2AM2

April 14, heaven knows where they will fly from but they are flying to Bhutan and have stops all day: The National park to Paro Airport: https://goo.gl/maps/UzGNmeXzrVx Paro to the Capital: Changlimithang Stadium, Chang Lam, Thimphu, Bhutan
And around Thimphu that day: https://goo.gl/maps/muHwjFyn1K42

The Hike Day: https://goo.gl/maps/4rPWi1zMHEE2
The next day, flight to Agra https://goo.gl/maps/4rPWi1zMHEE2
And the rest pf the day: https://goo.gl/maps/E7FCqt8umTP2

Finally - here is the big view of the flights: https://goo.gl/maps/Nps8ovUQfMk

Reactions: eya
Assume this belongs here:

6th April - Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will host a reception at KP for meet young people from India and Bhutan studying or working in Britain. Among the guests will be India’s High Commissioner to the UK Navtej Sarna

^^^Interesting idea to have an opportunity to meet students/workers from the nation that they'll be visiting soon in addition to the usual pre-tour briefings/meetings. Has anyone heard of this happening prior to a visit from a member of the BRF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom