Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to India - April 10-16, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I make it that they are due to arrive at 6:30 a.m. but I'm not sure if I've got the time conversion right

Last edited:
I can't wait for this tour to start.

Kate dazzles in beaded blue gown as she and William arrive for a glittering Bollywood gala with a feast of Indian entertainment including singers, dancers and even a nod to fashion* | Daily Mail Online

'The Duke said he hadn't watched any Bollywood movies but he represents the British film industry was and interested in collaboration'

I am speechless - William has never seen a Bollywood movie?? And he even admits to that when meeting his hosts?? How rude and unprepared can you be, it's not that there wasn't time to watch eg a SRK movie, if only because of interest in the industry or the people you are about to meet.

Kate dazzles in beaded blue gown as she and William arrive for a glittering Bollywood gala with a feast of Indian entertainment including singers, dancers and even a nod to fashion* | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all the pictures I've seen so far. There seems to be something quite magical about the Indian light that gives the photographs a great quality and atmosphere.

Kate looks lovely. She looked especially good swinging that cricket bat, as did William actually.

Love seeing all the Bollywood stars too. Hope lots of money is raised.

It seems to me it was a very good start of this tour! Let's see how it all will proceed!

I hope they get a good night's sleep. Jet lag can be so wearing!

Actually, William is probably like a lot of people that just haven't been exposed to Bollywood yet. Its a cultural thing perhaps. I've heard of it but to be honest, I've never seen any either. I would much rather have someone that can be open and honest about his exposure to something than watch one or two movies just so he can comment on it. Its one thing about William I do admire, he's honest.

Also, I was under the impression that William doesn't represent the British film industry but rather the charitable aspects of BAFTA.

In this case I do believe that honesty is the best policy. IMHO it would be worse to claim that he had seen one and then to be later found out in a lie.

wow - amazing start for the cambridges!

kate so far isn't disappointing. what marvelous choices of clothes she has chosen! she looked obviously tired, but that didn't stop her being her energetic, cheery self. william seems to be more used to travelling and jetlag and looked like despite their long flight he was well rested!

i liked the tweet from the gentlemen who got to share flight with them - what an amazing experience it must have been for him. apparently he was flying business - i must admit i was surprised they were flying business and not first class? if so, all the more credit for them handling a busy schedule after a long flight!

are there any pictures of the arrival? i assume they were welcomed by officials at the airport?

Actually, William is probably like a lot of people that just haven't been exposed to Bollywood yet. Its a cultural thing perhaps. I've heard of it but to be honest, I've never seen any either. I would much rather have someone that can be open and honest about his exposure to something than watch one or two movies just so he can comment on it. Its one thing about William I do admire, he's honest.

Also, I was under the impression that William doesn't represent the British film industry but rather the charitable aspects of BAFTA.

I haven't watched any Bollywood either. But then again I wasn't attending an event put on by Bollywood. There is all this talk about the preparation and study that went into this trip. Watching one Bollywood movie wouldn't have hurt, just to get the feel of it at the very least. He and Kate could have made a date night or two out of it. Curled up with a movie and popcorn when the kids were in bed.

And while his involvement is with the charity side for the major part, Will is patron BAFTA as a whole. That includes the industry side. We have seen him on HP tour and at other film related events. The film industry is a major industry for the UK and is a patronage he could put some more effort into.

I've never watched s Bollywood movie in my life. What's wrong with being honest?

They're not children. They realise that outside of India, Bollywood is pretty much a niche market. I'd be more surprised if William did see one.

Imagine the condescension if he had said he watched a Bollywood film just because he was coming to India

Royal tour: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge play cricket in Mumbai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLynwLa5LIw

Britain's Duke and Duchess of Cambridge play football with underprivileged children of slums in Mumbai. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR2WaOcxkNI

Duchess of Cambridge dazzles in Jenny Packham gown on Bollywood red carpet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KecMjQc7-Qk

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not children. They realise that outside of India, Bollywood is pretty much a niche market. I'd be more surprised if William did see one.

Imagine the condescension if he had said he watched a Bollywood film just because he was coming to India

Actually I think he would have got more support. How often are we fed 'they are busy doing research and work behind the scenes for their tour'. If part of your tour is attending a Bollywood event, then know something about it. I don't think anyone would be insulted there if he had said, yeah I watched my first one, and then maybe had a question about it. Bollywood is definitely a growing market, no longer a 'small niche'. I'd be surprised with the large Indian population in the UK, if it was not growing in popularity there.

Something as simple as watching a movie at home with his wife before bed was simple enough prep IMHO.

Schedule for Monday 11th Mumbai & New Delhi, India

Host Investiture at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel

Launch the 2016-2017 Technology Rocketships Awards at the Social
Meet aspiring young entrepreneurs

Learn about the Prime Minister's Startup India campaign

(Fly to New Delhi)

Visit India Gate memorial. Lay Wreath

Visit Ghandi Smriti (Ghanidi Memory), a museum for Mahatma Ghandi
Tour the museum

Pay their respects at the memorial. Watch Youth choir performance

Attend Birthday Party for Queen Elizabeth at British High Commissioner home

Meet Vip guests - William will give speech

Gert's Royals: Royal Tour India + Bhutan: April 10th - 16th

If William and Catherine haven't seen a Bollywood movie before coming to India, it's not the biggest of deals. I'm sure if it would have been perceived as 'important', then their advisors would have made sure that the couple saw one. William was honest and didn't try to cover up his lack of exposure to this particular genre. It's not something that needs to be headline news.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I have never seen Kate look as good as she does in the blue dress. Her hair, the earrings, the beautiful shade of blue - absolutely stunning. She looks great in all of the India inspired clothing. She should stick with it!

Actually I think he would have got more support. How often are we fed 'they are busy doing research and work behind the scenes for their tour'. If part of your tour is attending a Bollywood event, then know something about it. I don't think anyone would be insulted there if he had said, yeah I watched my first one, and then maybe had a question about it. Bollywood is definitely a growing market, no longer a 'small niche'. I'd be surprised with the large Indian population in the UK, if it was not growing in popularity there.

Something as simple as watching a movie at home with his wife before bed was simple enough prep IMHO.

Unless we're trying to manufacture outrage, the moment is gone. No one there was hurt by William admitting he hasn't seen a Bollywood film.

There weren't just actors there, there were athletes and business leaders as well. I guess William made up for it by talking cricket then. The money raised is going toward children charities. It was a great evening

I haven't watched any Bollywood either. But then again I wasn't attending an event put on by Bollywood. There is all this talk about the preparation and study that went into this trip. Watching one Bollywood movie wouldn't have hurt, just to get the feel of it at the very least. He and Kate could have made a date night or two out of it. Curled up with a movie and popcorn when the kids were in bed.

And while his involvement is with the charity side for the major part, Will is patron BAFTA as a whole. That includes the industry side. We have seen him on HP tour and at other film related events. The film industry is a major industry for the UK and is a patronage he could put some more effort into.

This event wasn't put on by Bollywood. It was the British Asian Trust, which Prince Charles established and is President. the press may have focused on the Bolly wood aspect but diplomatic, business, charities, sport and Bollywood were represented.

So Bollywood were guests, not hosts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom