The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am surprised suggested quotes of what Kate said, as reported by a tabloid, are being considered gospel here. The press are trying to create a story, I would not give it much credence.
Especially from Emily Andrews who has the credibility of a wet sock. Context of the conversation is needed. And if the press had so little access, where did she get the quotes from?

Old 04-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Because the Queen says little of substance that's admirable? Anyway the Queen was given a barely adequate education really, even by the standards of the 1920's and 30's. The Cambridges are both university graduates. That doesn't mean they know the right thing to say instinctively, but you would expect something more substantive from a tertiary educated person in their thirties, who presumably follows world affairs and current issues.
William and Catherine said a lot of things when meeting people on this tour. Not everything was caught by the media. The media is only picking and choosing some comments.

The media is upset, because they didn't have access to the official meetings and KP didn't release much info about them. According to the media that is...

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, the tweets and the summaries from the press corp that I read immediately after the trip were quite positive. Grousing that the one casual evening with the press was all off the record stuff - but generally pleased for pretty pictures, fair treatment, a focus on youth and animals and lots of lovely eyes looking at their publications.
So how to keep all that going? Wait a day or two and paint an ugly picture of the tour, so that at least some of the eyes keep looking. Really, they don't want sales to slump, so they use whatever at hand to drum up interest.
It's predictable.
Morning news now just ecstatically proclaiming the Obamas will breakfast with the Queen and have dinner with William, Kate and Harry. The channel I watch dotes on the Cambridges!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Well, the tweets and the summaries from the press corp that I read immediately after the trip were quite positive. Grousing that the one casual evening with the press was all off the record stuff - but generally pleased for pretty pictures, fair treatment, a focus on youth and animals and lots of lovely eyes looking at their publications.
So how to keep all that going? Wait a day or two and paint an ugly picture of the tour, so that at least some of the eyes keep looking. Really, they don't want sales to slump, so they use whatever at hand to drum up interest.
It's predictable.
Morning news now just ecstatically proclaiming the Obamas will breakfast with the Queen and have dinner with William, Kate and Harry. The channel I watch dotes on the Cambridges!
The stuff I read right after tour was very satisfying and positive too.

I still think the Indian heat got to some of members of the media. Also, I think there was a testy moment between the media and KP as well. I don't know what that was about though.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The stuff I read right after tour was very satisfying and positive too.

I still think the Indian heat got to some of members of the media. Also, I think there was a testy moment between the media and KP as well. I don't know what that was about though.
KP wouldn't let the BBC film crew go further than half way on the Bhutan hike. The BBC threw a fit and KP compromised by allowing one guy to go further and the after hike interview.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:49 AM
Heir Apparent

There is almost always a press/meet & greet drinks reception on Royal tours with a press pack. In Canada, they did it at PEI, for Australia/NZ they did it beforehand at KP and brought George. They are always off record. That's not new.

The press aren't whining about the Modi lunch being private because it's boring.

Come tomorrow the Queen's birthday will wipe the stupid stories like if Will was crying at the Taj of the pages/website.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-19-2016, 09:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyT View Post
KP wouldn't let the BBC film crew go further than half way on the Bhutan hike. The BBC threw a fit and KP compromised by allowing one guy to go further and the after hike interview.
Oh okay. I guess that was settled quickly then.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-19-2016, 10:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am surprised suggested quotes of what Kate said, as reported by a tabloid, are being considered gospel here. The press are trying to create a story, I would not give it much credence.

Thank you! We have no idea of the sum total of what was said. I have trouble believing that a woman who has made a priority of helping bereaved children and families would be vapid when presented with virtually the same issue overseas.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Thank you! We have no idea of the sum total of what was said. I have trouble believing that a woman who has made a priority of helping bereaved children and families would be vapid when presented with virtually the same issue overseas.
I agree. The surreal comment I thinnk is 100% ok. I mean, it must have been surreal, and that comment is probably not the only one she said. And we don't know what was said in the other occation. It could be something like "*sad things*" "oh, so horrible, I can't even imagine.." "My saving thing was a dog, he would use to sleep with me and actually is the reason I found this place" "Gosh, how interesting."
Old 04-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I have to agree that it was more of a private holiday than a royal tour.

During a public engagement the only 'private time' is a bathroom break.

William expecting private moments at Gandhi’s house, the safari in Kaziranga National Park, the visit to the Bhutan’s monastery and the Taj Mahal reeks of a private vacation.
i agree that they seemed to have a lot more private moments than other royals at royal tours. plus, it is rare that when other royals do tours things such as a safari or a trek are incorporated in the tour.

however, i still think they did their share of supporting local organizations and receiving british nationals abroad, so i would classify this as a semi-private tour.

but it is interesting to hear that they expected private time at the taj mahal - that seems like the most unprivate place where they could have some time alone! (unless they completely closed the facility for the tour, of course, and asked the press out after some pictures).
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

There is no press following Anne, the Wessexes, Andrew on tour. Charles and Camilla had very little on their Balkans tour, Harry had a bit more in Nepal. The press didn't stay and cover the school building afterwards. So that was a week of private time for Harry.

There are only a few places where you can go on Safari. Harry and the Wessexes both did in South Africa. If you are going to Germany, you aren't going on safari.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
There is no press following Anne, the Wessexes, Andrew on tour. Charles and Camilla had very little on their Balkans tour, Harry had a bit more in Nepal. The press didn't stay and cover the school building afterwards. So that was a week of private time for Harry.

There are only a few places where you can go on Safari. Harry and the Wessexes both did in South Africa. If you are going to Germany, you aren't going on safari.

How very true. Letting "all the press" go to all the places means very different things for the Wessexes or the Cambridges. For the Wessexes, it wouldn't be any problem to let all their travelling press follow them to the top at the monestry. But I read that at most this week the cambridges travelled with a media consisting of 57 people (correct me if I'm wrong) and that is a whole other thing to bring up to a temple where other "tourists" are also present.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

57 may have been too many, but they could have selected a chunk of them. And could have informed them ahead of time. What angered the press was they made the climb up the mountain, and then were informed that they would not be allowed to go any further. If I climbed half way up a mountain with all my equipment for a story and then got turned away, I'd be pissed too. It was handled horribly. It's no surprise the BBC was the one allowed to send a reporter, the last thing they need to do is piss of BBC news more. They should have established how many if any reporters could go with them, BEFORE the hike, so that the other agencies didn't make the trek.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
57 may have been too many, but they could have selected a chunk of them. And could have informed them ahead of time. What angered the press was they made the climb up the mountain, and then were informed that they would not be allowed to go any further. If I climbed half way up a mountain with all my equipment for a story and then got turned away, I'd be pissed too. It was handled horribly. It's no surprise the BBC was the one allowed to send a reporter, the last thing they need to do is piss of BBC news more. They should have established how many if any reporters could go with them, BEFORE the hike, so that the other agencies didn't make the trek.
And how do you know all of this? Some frustrated tabloid journalist ranting??
Old 04-19-2016, 12:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I agree with your take that if the quantity of reporters following the Cambridges would have caused a disruption then that should have been dealt with beforehand. I have rolled my eyes plenty of times at what I've thought was entitled behavior by the media but it seems like this issue is rooted in a mistake by royal staffers. I wonder if privacy is the knee-jerk, go to excuse these days. If so, William and his staff need to re-think that because that giving that excuse is increasingly leaving William and Kate open for push back.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

There has to be some kind of communication between the Palace and the press to establish exactly what is going to happen and when. The monastery is a very special and sacred place, so I have no problem if they wanted to visit inside it privately for quiet contemplation or whatever.
It's a two-way thing as far as I'm concerned - trek half way up a mountain without having a clue what's going to happen and take the risk or insist upon some agreement in advance to save everyone a lot of time and energy.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Serene Highness

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ukinin...n/photostream/
Old 04-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyT View Post
There should have never been a compromise because this is a public tour
Old 04-19-2016, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
There has to be some kind of communication between the Palace and the press to establish exactly what is going to happen and when. The monastery is a very special and sacred place, so I have no problem if they wanted to visit inside it privately for quiet contemplation or whatever.
It's a two-way thing as far as I'm concerned - trek half way up a mountain without having a clue what's going to happen and take the risk or insist upon some agreement in advance to save everyone a lot of time and energy.
I agreee. I mean, I always assumed the media got a scheduel of "here and here this will happen, here are some basic facts and these are the times and places you should be at such and such location".
Old 04-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Frankly, in that interview, the press were practically begging William and Catherine to make an emotional confession of being shattered by visiting the Taj, and both flatly refused to do so. I think the truth is that the Taj visit means a lot more to the press and to the people carrying a torch for Diana's memory than it does to William or to Kate.

Very true!
The press never misses an opportunity to insert Diana into every story, no matter what.

As for the tour serving more as a private vacation, do they really think William and Kate would choose those locations to vacation?

They always go to a beach in the Seychelles, or a ski lodge in the Alps, or someplace like that.