The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

The baby animals were orphans that why they needed feeding. Most of the time in Mumbai and the morning in New Dehli was with unprivileged kids. There was even meeting charity kids at the archery in Bhutan.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 04-18-2016, 11:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
You can't sell papers or get page clicks by continuing to write positive stories after the tour has ended.

So while, during the tour, you can talk about how open and willing to pose they were, that has to turn into being excessively stage managed.

During the tour, you can talk about how Kate lit up while feeding the baby rhino. After the tour, that has to turn into criticism that she wasn't feeding sick people in Calcutta.

During the tour, you can publish pictures and talk about how loving the two seemed on the safari (during which they had a jeep full of photographers ahead of them for all those photos, so I've no idea how it was "private"). After the tour, you can't sell that anymore, so it turns into "lightweight vacation".

At the end of the day, the press cannot continually sell the same story. They have to, and do, spin the narrative so that it's new and fresh. The difference between the royals and the press is that the royals are honest about the fact that they have press officers and a head spin doctor. The press pretends to be neutral while spinning like crazy in the service of economics; I find them painfully disingenuous.
I agree hel that the media has now changed its tune since the tour has ended. The pressure to compete with social media and to meet the demands of your stockholders is unrelenting on the press who are in an unenviable position. Their industry is changing and their place in the world is shrinking.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

The press desperately wanted Kate to be another Diana, and she's not and she never will be. She's going to raise her kids and spend time with her family and do her duty- which will always be done appropriately and well- and that isn't exciting, but it's also much more stable.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If Kate did respond to a victim of a terrorist attack with "That must have been a surreal day" and on hearing accounts of child mutilations in India with "That is so interesting" then that speaks of a lack of empathy and of gravitas and of skill in drawing people out of their shells, IMO.
You're being kind. Those two quotes highlight sheer stupidity because anything but is just unforgivable.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:03 AM
Commoner

I have had more than one tragic day which I would describe as surreal. I think saying someone is stupid, not empathetic and unforgivable for a pretty innocuous comment is extreme.

I would imagine a lot of decisions about press presence and accessibility to the public are made for security and safety reasons, as they are for every world figure. Sounds like the press just wants to make it William's fault. Seems to me he is very open to meeting people and being seen. I think all the criticism is a tempest in a teapot. It was very successful tour in highlighting causes they care about.

The criticism about visiting the monastery is insensitive. It's a sacred place, just like visiting the Pope or a mosque--it's private.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

I often wonder how some of the folks who jump on every little comment and analyze it to death would fare if followed by global media constantly.

My guess is "not well".
Old 04-19-2016, 12:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps not. I agree it would be horrendous. However, if I knew I was going to visit the Taj Mahal I would study the history of the building, if I was going to be speaking to workers on child mutilation I would read up on the subject so (if only for my own interest) I would increase my knowledge and be able to ask some pertinent questions, and so on. I know this because I have studied up beforehand on various trips that I have undertaken overseas.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Prince William and Kate Middleton retrace Diana's steps at the Taj Mahal | Daily Mail Online

Press is speculating about William possibly crying at the taj mahal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Pretty mild compared to others but there is certainly a hint of criticism. Making it, like the rest of the article, sound more like a holiday than a serious visit. 'Feeding baby animals while Diana was feeding the sick.'

It also bothers me the comment of them sneaking out of the hotel back door when there were people waiting to see them out front. Surely their security is well versed in handling a small crowd. They are meant to be there representing the UK, not sneaking away.
So true, neither it is to create memories of their own. To me it felt totally like a holiday, not much gravitas to it. But then, they are not Monarch or heir to the throne, so maybe its intentional to go after the sugary coverage and pull the Diana card, nobody forced them to pose on the bench. So be prepared that the press is only after silly stories and Kate's fashion and that not everybody likes the royal celebrities on holiday.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimene View Post
You're being kind. Those two quotes highlight sheer stupidity because anything but is just unforgivable.
Is that all she said? Literally, the sum total of her conversation with those people? Please point out the evidence which shows that to be the case?

As someone who has been in the vicinity of a terrorist bomb going off which killed people, and a terrorist gun attack which killed people, I can say with certainty that it absolutely was surreal. Does that make me stupid too?

The Queen has made a career out of saying "how interesting". She says as little as she can possibly get away with.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think some members of the media are ticked off that they didn't have access to some of the meetings, talks and even investiture that took place. Also, I think the heat got to some of them. Now, they're back home and venting their frustrations.

The tour wasn't a vacation folks, let's get real. Nobody in their right mind would call official royal tours a vacation. The media pretty much have their own agenda they want to push. A lot of the criticism really don't make much sense, IMO.

I happen to think the tour went very well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-19-2016, 03:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Because the Queen says little of substance that's admirable? Anyway the Queen was given a barely adequate education really, even by the standards of the 1920's and 30's. The Cambridges are both university graduates. That doesn't mean they know the right thing to say instinctively, but you would expect something more substantive from a tertiary educated person in their thirties, who presumably follows world affairs and current issues.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Because the Queen says little of substance that's admirable? Anyway the Queen was given a barely adequate education really, even by the standards of the 1920's and 30's. The Cambridges are both university graduates. That doesn't mean they know the right thing to say instinctively, but you would expect something more substantive from a tertiary educated person in their thirties, who presumably follows world affairs and current issues.
And who has known about this trip for months if not a year, and has presumably been spending their time 'preparing' for the trip when they have been out of the public eye.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:58 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Sometimes I feel like the press and the media don't even bother to see W&K as actual, real, air breathing human beings but more like puppets on a string that should dance to whatever tune best serves their purposes and will guarantee them headlines. These puppets should be available 24/7 and as they are public puppets on a string, they should be in the public eye at all times and anything and everything about these puppets are fair game for critique and speculation. Nothing is sacred except for that next photo shot or wardrobe malfunction for all and sundry to yammer about over their after work drinks and heaven forbid if a gesture is made that can be read as having an emotional breakdown or words said that can be picked apart syllable by syllable to make these puppets look even more inane and brainless with each published article.

Yet we wonder why these royal personages treasure their privacy so guardedly and passionately.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-19-2016, 04:08 AM
Heir Apparent

They may be royal personages but when they travel overseas they are also representatives of their country and of the British Crown. They're also immensely privileged human beings. When responding to a terrible situation or person who's been through a crisis, no one expects a dissertation. However a few heartwarming remarks that show that a Royal shows an interest, understands, has studied the problems a bit, wouldn't go astray.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Actually I think the disparity between the home-schooled Queen and the William and Catherine with a University Degree apiece is living proof that you don't need a piece of paper to certify that you are intelligent and it certainly doesn't prove you are "Educated". HM's education has stood her in good stead from the time she was 18 or so. I am of the opinion that when Queen Elizabeth was in her early 30's she was both politically astute and well 'schooled' in the international politics of the Cold War.

You don't shove a couple of royals in a room with the good and the great, International Heads of State and VIP's when they are ignorant, uneducated and unaware of what is going on in the world and where their own country stands on just about everything. International diplomacy is too much to risk in such a way.

I believe HM saves her "How interesting" comment for Garden Parties and such where she is meeting with the general public. Somehow I believe that had she been introduced to a survivor of the Mumbai terror attack she would have responded with a little more heart and head.

As to William and Catherine sneaking out the back . . . well, is anyone honestly surprised? William has always had a hard time separating the public and private aspects of royal life and seems to believe that he metaphorically clocks on and off for engagements and believes all other time is his own.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The insistence of 'private moments' on tours like this will cause a lot of trouble in the future if the Cambridges will continue to try and patronize the press the way they now do. You can maybe do it in their position, 3rd in line, but this will stop or escalate when William becomes PoW. Once you are on a tour you are representing the country and need to deal with the press in a best possible way for both sides. Bear it and grin if needed. The Cambridges have a lot of privacy at home, no need to drag this request into public events.

Of course it doesnt help that the tour basically consists of things that very priviledged people do on holidays, celebrity events, sports, safaris etc etc, its has nothing to do with official visits that focus on business or political issues (fair enough the Cambridges are not high enough in the ranking to do such visits).

Therefore, on such a fluffy tour like this, its hard to please anyone if you don't want to have the focus on fashion or sports acitivities.

In terms of lightweight conversations, I didn't expect anything more. To me, Wills & Kate went on a public holiday with press tagging along (could not be avoided because the taxpayer is footing the bill), not even preparing themselves for the simplest of things (eg watching a bollywood movie to not look completely stupid with your hosts - superstars of the genre -, saying something more intelligent than quoted, dress blowing up for the xth time, bringing your make up artist along on a hike to look good at the end ('Kate didn't even break a sweat', what BS, sorry). And yet people are wondering why there is nothing of substance to Kate apart from what she's wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
William has always had a hard time separating the public and private aspects of royal life and seems to believe that he metaphorically clocks on and off for engagements and believes all other time is his own.
And that's the problem and I am sure it will escalate along the way to becoming King.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I can understand the "surreal day" comment, or at least am prepared to give Kate the benefit of the doubt about it, because I agree that the experience of the terrorist attack would have been surreal and perhaps, in her own peculiar way, Kate's thoughts were on a reasonable track.

I cannot, however, countenance any circumstances in what the response , "Gosh, so interesting!", would be a reasonable response when speaking to charity workers helping India’s street kids who are mutilated to make money begging. "Gosh, how very sad", or "Gosh, how horrible", would be more what I'd expect. Perhaps there was a language problem and she didn't understand what they were saying.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:31 AM
Majesty

I am surprised suggested quotes of what Kate said, as reported by a tabloid, are being considered gospel here. The press are trying to create a story, I would not give it much credence.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd like to see some sort of evidence (other than a tabloid) as well....also the whole context of the conversation.

LaRae
Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
I agree. There's been a lot of effort to wring more column inches out of the tour in the past two days.

Frankly, in that interview, the press were practically begging William and Catherine to make an emotional confession of being shattered by visiting the Taj, and both flatly refused to do so. I think the truth is that the Taj visit means a lot more to the press and to the people carrying a torch for Diana's memory than it does to William or to Kate.
True. I'm sure William has far more important and personal ways of remembering his mother. But the media need to sell some sort of emotional drama. I think many reporters try to act as if they really knew what William's relationship was like with his mother, but in reality there were and are clueless as to what his real emotions are except for the superficial and obvious one that he misses her. So they resort to things like this to tug at people's heartstrings.

For someone under the spotlight so much, I actually advocate him and Kate to do as the Queen does and retain their true emotions to themselves. They might not get as much privacy as they may like, but at least that part of themselves can remain private.

As for the comments, the first one about it being surreal sounds on the money to me. Surreal is exactly the way I'd describe somehow like that. The second sounds rather odd and if that's all she said then that requires addressing. However, I don't believe that's all she said, it would be awkward if the conversation ended there.