The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2016, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
In post it here because it is about costs.

And here we go again. I don't even bother to read it.

The real cost of the Duchess's outfits during her seven-day royal tour | Daily Mail Online
I think it's not fair for the article to state it like that because there were a few things that were recycled/old. They make it seem that the whole wardrobe is new and costs that much when actually it is less. Also, who knows what was brought on sale (if anything was).

Old 04-18-2016, 02:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Honestly I don't know why they didn't use the real total. The new outfits (minus most accessories for I am not sure which ones are new or old) are just short of 22,000 pounds/31,000 US dollars sounds pretty big as well. No need to fluff up the amount by adding old pieces to the total (though if you do read they do mention some are old but still include in total). If they wanted to go with shock value, the real total likely would have done the same.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:07 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Why JAN MOIR fears Kate Middleton will always be in Diana's shadow | Daily Mail Online
Old 04-18-2016, 06:34 AM
Majesty

What utter rubbish this article is!
Old 04-18-2016, 07:03 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think I'd need to go out and buy me a bird and a bird cage for this article to have any useful value.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-18-2016, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William and Kate Middleton retrace Diana's steps at the Taj Mahal | Daily Mail Online
Old 04-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Stick a fork in this - they are going to wring every last possible silly interpretation out of the visit.
Nevermind it was really hot in Agra.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Aristocracy

I agree. There's been a lot of effort to wring more column inches out of the tour in the past two days.

Frankly, in that interview, the press were practically begging William and Catherine to make an emotional confession of being shattered by visiting the Taj, and both flatly refused to do so. I think the truth is that the Taj visit means a lot more to the press and to the people carrying a torch for Diana's memory than it does to William or to Kate.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Surprise surprise.....NOT I knew the second they decided to take that photo these stories would appear. I am surprised only that it is 'in her shadow' and not a 'copy kate' storyline. I know and totally respect they wanted to create their own memories, but by recreating an iconic photo, you had to see these ridiculous story titles coming a mile away.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Emily pretty called this tour 'pure garbage', IMO! Some members of the media underwear are in a twist and bunched up over this tour from the Cambridge's.

Wills and Kate’s royal tour of India and Bhutan more like £270k private hol... and you footed the bill

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-18-2016, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

It's never enough with the media. You can't make them happy.

LaRae
Old 04-18-2016, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

How ridiculous so much to ignore
Old 04-18-2016, 10:24 PM
Royal Highness

I have to agree that it was more of a private holiday than a royal tour.

During a public engagement the only 'private time' is a bathroom break.

William expecting private moments at Gandhi’s house, the safari in Kaziranga National Park, the visit to the Bhutan’s monastery and the Taj Mahal reeks of a private vacation.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I have to agree that it was more of a private holiday than a royal tour.

During a public engagement the only 'private time' is a bathroom break.

William expecting private moments at Gandhi’s house, the safari in Kaziranga National Park, the visit to the Bhutan’s monastery and the Taj Mahal reeks of a private vacation.
I'm not surprised that you take that viewpoint.

I am surprised that anyone takes UK press at face value. Gandhis home is considered almost sacred so do you realistically think that the curators wanted 50-60 reporters/photographers traipsing after them? No - they allowed in a few.

All the UK reporters had access at the National Park - no one said they didn't have access.

Bhutans monastery is sacred and 30 odd press following them is also unrealistic. But they posed and spoke with the press afterwards. (great pictures and quotes)

Taj - interesting. I understand that they would have liked a chance to see this on their own - without the herd following them. But to make up for it - they posed and sat on the bench.

So it seems balanced to me - unlike the UK press and those who believe everything they write.

So what really is the problem?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-18-2016, 10:44 PM
Courtier

I understand fans defending their favorites, but the two quotes below are embarrassing beyond belief.

Indeed, some of Kate’s comments were banal at best and clumsy at worst. Meeting a chef who had been badly injured in the Mumbai 2008 terror atrocities, she murmured: “It must have been a surreal day.”

And when speaking to charity workers helping India’s street kids, who are mutilated to make money begging, she managed to utter: “Gosh, so interesting.”
Old 04-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Emily pretty called this tour 'pure garbage', IMO! Some members of the media underwear are in a twist and bunched up over this tour from the Cambridge's.

Wills and Kate’s royal tour of India and Bhutan more like £270k private hol... and you footed the bill
While not unduly harsh, I find it interesting that Arthur Edwards voiced criticism of William and Kate's tour.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:51 PM
Heir Apparent

doesn't seem to coincide with what Arthur said to the BBC.

But then again on the BBC piece he actively disagreed with the Sun, his employer.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-18-2016, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent

If Kate did respond to a victim of a terrorist attack with "That must have been a surreal day" and on hearing accounts of child mutilations in India with "That is so interesting" then that speaks of a lack of empathy and of gravitas and of skill in drawing people out of their shells, IMO. I can imagine Diana or Charles in that situation and love them or hate them, their responses would have been very different.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:59 PM
Aristocracy

You can't sell papers or get page clicks by continuing to write positive stories after the tour has ended.

So while, during the tour, you can talk about how open and willing to pose they were, that has to turn into being excessively stage managed.

During the tour, you can talk about how Kate lit up while feeding the baby rhino. After the tour, that has to turn into criticism that she wasn't feeding sick people in Calcutta.

During the tour, you can publish pictures and talk about how loving the two seemed on the safari (during which they had a jeep full of photographers ahead of them for all those photos, so I've no idea how it was "private"). After the tour, you can't sell that anymore, so it turns into "lightweight vacation".

At the end of the day, the press cannot continually sell the same story. They have to, and do, spin the narrative so that it's new and fresh. The difference between the royals and the press is that the royals are honest about the fact that they have press officers and a head spin doctor. The press pretends to be neutral while spinning like crazy in the service of economics; I find them painfully disingenuous.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Veteran Sun photographer Arthur Edwards said: “Kate and William rather skipped through India. Diana spent ten days here and she wasn’t feeding baby rhino, she was feeding sick people. She handed out sweets to the dying at Mother Teresa’s hospice in Calcutta.

“All the bottom of her dress was covered with dirt as she’d sat down next to them. It was incredible. Diana broke the mould.

“Kate and William have a long way to go to catch up. They do about two or three things a day. Charles and Diana would do so much more.”
Pretty mild compared to others but there is certainly a hint of criticism. Making it, like the rest of the article, sound more like a holiday than a serious visit. 'Feeding baby animals while Diana was feeding the sick.'

It also bothers me the comment of them sneaking out of the hotel back door when there were people waiting to see them out front. Surely their security is well versed in handling a small crowd. They are meant to be there representing the UK, not sneaking away.