Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to India - April 10-16, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was also no rest days on this tour. The amount of engagements done in 7 days was around what they did in 3 weeks in Aus/NZ. That's a lot of time under the microscope in a short span of time

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

There was also no rest days on this tour. The amount of engagements done in 7 days was around what they did in 3 weeks in Aus/NZ. That's a lot of time under the microscope in a short span of time

They worked hard. Multiple days with morning events, hours of travel and then afternoon and evening events. Granted they had people helping them unpack, press the next outfit and carry the luggage, but that's standard for an in line heir.
What we never see is the last minute briefings for changes at any event, the memorization in advance of names, the debriefings after any event and at the end of the day.
And never once was William "distant" that we could see. Kate was completely unflappable and always welcoming, sanguine and relaxed. Even in the heat, they rose above.
I actually give a lot of credit to the planning of the tour events - lots of visibility broken by moments of alone time where they could regather, regroup and re-energize for the next big public moment. They lingered less then on previous tours and appeared better for that change!
This is not the fashion thread, but I do think Kate's hairdresser did a magnificent job with the quick changes and fresh looks in the AM. Wills hairdresser too!

I wonder if some of the press pack was rather relieved at not having to climb a steep path all the way up a mountain. It looked like a very rigorous hike, and some of those press guys are old and (dare I say) perhaps out of shape. Don't want anyone getting sick or left behind or slowing everyone else down just for another photo.

There should have never been a compromise because this is a public tour
At the end of the day . . . The bottom line is . . . Say what you will . . . Every cliche you can possibly think of will never change that statement, this is a public tour and as such should have been free from the overt machinations, protestations and interventions of KP.

It seems that KP wants everything micro-managed and since they were on and official tour for HM and her Government I see this as a contradiction, overt petty demands that become public. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that there are discussions, etc. prior to any Royal Tour but they sort them before they get there and things run smoothly.

It seems that BP would be well advised to take over the organisation and running of tours for the younger royals and ensure that just like other royals they get what they need on tour without it becoming an "issue" and are not perceived to be "special" or "demanding". Sneaking out the back is not an option because if you arrive somewhere you have to leave same. Again, this is a public tour not private.

As to publicity about Catherine's conversation, trained aides would have ensured that such things didn't happen and could be easily dismissed by the truth. However, because KP want to do things "their way", they leave themselves wide open to bad PR. A little more of the "they way things were" would help prevent "the way they are now".

I have had more than one tragic day which I would describe as surreal. I think saying someone is stupid, not empathetic and unforgivable for a pretty innocuous comment is extreme.

I would imagine a lot of decisions about press presence and accessibility to the public are made for security and safety reasons, as they are for every world figure. Sounds like the press just wants to make it William's fault. Seems to me he is very open to meeting people and being seen. I think all the criticism is a tempest in a teapot. It was very successful tour in highlighting causes they care about.

The criticism about visiting the monastery is insensitive. It's a sacred place, just like visiting the Pope or a mosque--it's private.

Exactly!! What else was she supposed to say about such a tragic day to someone who lived through it? I've gone through a few shocking moments, a car accident, being the only one a good friend could contact while his boat was sinking out in Lake Huron and our Garage catching fire (not at the same time thankfully) and thinking back on them, let me tell you something...Surreal is exactly how I would describe both it happening and the hours afterwards.

As for the other comment, when will the trick of the Media taking a comment out of context and twisting it to suit their agenda ever get through to People? Especially by this time when it's obvious due to the Reporter who wrote the story.

I often wonder how some of the folks who jump on every little comment and analyze it to death would fare if followed by global media constantly.

My guess is "not well".

My guess is curled up in the Fetal position by Noon the first day.

Is that all she said? Literally, the sum total of her conversation with those people? Please point out the evidence which shows that to be the case?

As someone who has been in the vicinity of a terrorist bomb going off which killed people, and a terrorist gun attack which killed people, I can say with certainty that it absolutely was surreal. Does that make me stupid too?

The Queen has made a career out of saying "how interesting". She says as little as she can possibly get away with.

Thank you for that and I am so sorry you had to experience that.

I think some members of the media are ticked off that they didn't have access to some of the meetings, talks and even investiture that took place. Also, I think the heat got to some of them. Now, they're back home and venting their frustrations.

The tour wasn't a vacation folks, let's get real. Nobody in their right mind would call official royal tours a vacation. The media pretty much have their own agenda they want to push. A lot of the criticism really don't make much sense, IMO.

I happen to think the tour went very well.

Bingo!! They didn't get every second access, so now time to throw a Temper Tantrum. The fact they're scraping the bottom of the barrel in order to advance their agenda should be a huge clue of just how well the Tour did.

There has to be some kind of communication between the Palace and the press to establish exactly what is going to happen and when. The monastery is a very special and sacred place, so I have no problem if they wanted to visit inside it privately for quiet contemplation or whatever.
It's a two-way thing as far as I'm concerned - trek half way up a mountain without having a clue what's going to happen and take the risk or insist upon some agreement in advance to save everyone a lot of time and energy.

Which I am certain did happen, but why didn't the Press do their own homework on the Region? Buddhist Temples are sacred spaces that are deeply respected places in India and Bhutan and no way was a horde of Reporters going to be allowed to invade that space. If such a thing had been allowed to happen, it not only would have been bad PR, but a gigantic insult to their Hosts and a Diplomatic Incident to boot.

What a pity for such an important tour they didn't do more to prepare in order to know about the Culture and Traditions of their Hosts after all.

I was trying to figure that out the other day. Thanks!! :)

They worked hard. Multiple days with morning events, hours of travel and then afternoon and evening events. Granted they had people helping them unpack, press the next outfit and carry the luggage, but that's standard for an in line heir.
What we never see is the last minute briefings for changes at any event, the memorization in advance of names, the debriefings after any event and at the end of the day.
And never once was William "distant" that we could see. Kate was completely unflappable and always welcoming, sanguine and relaxed. Even in the heat, they rose above.
I actually give a lot of credit to the planning of the tour events - lots of visibility broken by moments of alone time where they could regather, regroup and re-energize for the next big public moment. They lingered less then on previous tours and appeared better for that change!
This is not the fashion thread, but I do think Kate's hairdresser did a magnificent job with the quick changes and fresh looks in the AM. Wills hairdresser too!

Best summary of what actually happened on this Tour I've seen yet!! One addition if I may? Not only were they dealing w/the heat, but w/altitude as well. Just the one would have been brutal to handle, but both? I would have dropped halfway through the 1st day, as I can't handle heat at all anymore. They did very well indeed.

I wonder if some of the press pack was rather relieved at not having to climb a steep path all the way up a mountain. It looked like a very rigorous hike, and some of those press guys are old and (dare I say) perhaps out of shape. Don't want anyone getting sick or left behind or slowing everyone else down just for another photo.

There's that too and I'm sure there were a few who were more than happy to stay behind. :)

That anyone honestly thinks this was a Holiday...*shakes head in disbelief*

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Although things were pretty vague, scanning through the posts made during the morning of the trek up to Tiger's Nest, it was related there that the media would not be allowed to enter the temple. Whether or not that included the space around the sacred temple was not given. So there was some kind of notice that there would be restrictions ahead of time. Given the fact that there were spinning prayer wheels alongside the path leading up to the temple, that is a pretty good indicator that the path also had its own sacred meanings to those that make the trek.

That's just my take on it.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to India - April 10-16, 2016

Looking at the usual bunch of Royal reporters tweets , they knew that they where going to be at the bottom and at the halfway landing area. Most were in place 1/2 way before W&K even got there. The BBC tv people were the only ones that thought they were going to shoot inside the monastery. This disagreement was then later reported in post tour bashing articles. However, the express was the only place that I saw the story how when the Indian security guards tried to move the photographers out of the bench area of Taj Mahal, it was Jason Knauf who stopped the guards by telling them that it was okay and the Duke and Duchess wanted the photos to be taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom