The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that is very clever of her i hope some day they are released

I think Diana was an innocent young woman who didnt know right from left. She had to grow up fast at which time she came into her own. People loved her and I think felt sorry for her and gave her the attention she so craved. Catherine on the other hand has lived and has experienced things in life that Diana never did. Catherine knew what she was getting into and didnt require anyone to hold her hand. She had the time to adjust. She was already her own woman and didnt or doesnt need the attention from people in order to feel loved. Catherine is popular because she is who she is and Diana became popular I think because she was the innocent girl who was vulnerable. I think Catherine will be more popular and admired than Diana was. I love Diana but I think Catherine will be a huge influence in the years to come. Just my opinion. :)

Diana said she received no guidance from the palace. This is corroborated by the Emanuels re: the wedding dress...that there was zero input from BRF.Also, Diana had in fact only been on 5 'dates' with Charles before he proposed, as opposed to having been together for a decade.

Rubbish! Diana actually got quite a lot of help and guidance from the palace. (the Diana victim version is she didn't, that's not the truth) She might not have had guidance over a wedding dress but then Kate's was entirely her choice as well!

Lady Susan Hussay was assigned to Diana to help her with palace protocol. The Buckingham Palace press secretary Michael O'Shea later wrote about how Diana was coached by the press office, even to the extent that she anonymously manned the phones and answered queries. She
was given press briefings and they practised her early speeches with her.

Diana was given an adviser ( name escapes me) whose help she ignored, famously tossing aside a book on previous princesses of wales, she was given.

The Palace organized for her to meet with stylists from Vogue to help with selecting her wardrobe.

Diana had a dresser Evelyn who even went on her honeymoon cruise, she was given a lot of help.
Kate has more less navigated her own way through, she doesn't have a stylist or a dresser, her
advisors are William's and Harry's team and she wasn't given a ladyinwaiting to help with
protocol.

By Diana's own calculations she had 13 not 5 dates with Charles. ( Streeton tapes) not a lot but she was given time to think over Charles's proposal. He proposed early February, she went to Australia with her mother for 3 weeks, she returned after 2 weeks and said yes. The engagement was announced Feb 24th. For her own reasons Diana was determined to marry Charles, she could have said no, she was given time to consider it (probably had her mother counsel against it since she married young to a man a lot older than her) and still said yes.
To answer the question will she become more popular? Different era, different women, Kate is better at 'disappearing' between engagements. The press don't like that, Diana arrived at the time that Rupert Murdock bought into the UK papers and he needed a media 'star' and he was able to do that with Diana. Kate era is one of the 24hour news cycle, and she ( and William in particular) seem to be determined to claw back some of those hours as private ones. This doesn't sit well with journalists covering the royals ( what will they write about!?) so they aren't going to champion her the way they did Diana. (plus Diana was a goldmine for them as she fed them stories, so even more favorable press coverage)

Last edited:
The courtship of Princess Diana and Prince Charles was a very short one. Kate and Prince William had a very long courtship which was 8 years. By the time Kate and Prince William were married, they pretty much knew what they were getting into or for the most part knew each other's likes, dislikes, their quirks, etc. I really wonder how much Prince Charles and Princess Diana knew about each other. I doubt they knew as much about these things as Kate and Prince William did.

Another thing that was different is that Prince William met Kate, fell in love and got married. Kate wasn't picked out for him. They chose each other. This is a big difference than a small group of women are suitable, pick one of them out which is what Prince Charles faced. Love was not even part of the deal.

If you were dating or involved with someone for 8 years, it would be difficult for someone to hide things about themselves. By that time you are comfortable enough to let you're hair down to speak with this other person.

Diana said she received no guidance from the palace. This is corroborated by the Emanuels re: the wedding dress...that there was zero input from BRF.Also, Diana had in fact only been on 5 'dates' with Charles before he proposed, as opposed to having been together for a decade.

I recall when she was engaged, some courtier gave her a book on Queen Mary to read, thinking to be helpful, and then when the courtier left, Diana threw the book away saying to her friend, 'I'm not reading that'. If that's true, then it seems to me that helping Diana may not have been easy.

I don't think we'll see Kate achieve the popularity of Diana. For all her faults, Diana had charisma and I don't believe Kate has that to that degree, though i think she's a lovely girl. The media are certainly working hard to try to get Kate to achieve Diana's popularity, but of course they're in it for themselves. It's a different day and a different age and there's less respect for the Royal family.

From the moment the press discovered Charles' interest in Diana, she was pushed into the middle of a very large circle with all focus centered directly on her and for the most part, on her alone. To an extent, Charles and the BRF were the backdrop of the panorama that became Diana mania. I've often read that Diana followed her press coverage diligently and it was in reading this that it hit home how much she needed the attention and approval of others and to me it seemed that it was this kind of attention and approval that she wished she had from her husband and his family. In normal relationships its working and growing together as a team that makes it successful and that's hard to do when one aims to live on a pedestal.

Kate also had been the focus of the media as William's girlfriend once they both left university. Those years together at St. Andrew's in relative privacy gave them the chance to form first a healthy friendship which developed into a deeper relationship. Once they were fair game for the press, it was the both of them in the circle. Will and Kate go skiing, Kate attends Wills' passing out. Will and Kate split up. Will and Kate back together again etc. At the time of their marriage in 2011 they were perhaps the most iconic couple in the world and since then have pretty much remained so.

The difference between the two women is that one was in the center of the circle on her own where everything circled around her and her life where as the other is gradually meshing into the circle that is the BRF.

I think it's also important to define what 'popular' means. I think, more than saying Diana was hugely popular, it's more accurate to say that she tended to evoke strong emotions in people both positive and negative. People read newspaper stories about her and watched the interviews she gave, mostly because the whole scenario was so interesting. There was so much drama and scandal and he said/she said going on that it was like a real life soap opera being played out for the masses.

I hope the royals never get into that sort of situation again.

I think it's also important to define what 'popular' means. I think, more than saying Diana was hugely popular, it's more accurate to say that she tended to evoke strong emotions in people both positive and negative. People read newspaper stories about her and watched the interviews she gave, mostly because the whole scenario was so interesting. There was so much drama and scandal and he said/she said going on that it was like a real life soap opera being played out for the masses.

I hope the royals never get into that sort of situation again.

Totally agree. You've said it well. People were amazed - and for myself, cringing - as the story unfolded. It was excruciating watching all that personal stuff tumble out. The tabloids were voracious - thrilling to the ker-ching of the cash registers. Money flowed as the headlines blared. What a time.

Just struck me how much the 1990's were a decade of that kind of scandal and soap opera. I am thinking of all the stuff that swirled around Bill Clinton and the Monica Lewinsky affair. That, too, had personal details being made public that should never have been. Nasty.

I wonder what was going on astrologically.

Excellent posts both of you. That was an ugly time in both nations and the media did their best to fuel the fire leaving a nasty trail of destruction. Those closest to these couples were the casualties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's stay on topic...the purpose of this thread isn't to rehash the Charles and Diana marriage but whether or not Catherine will be more popular that Diana.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

I don't think Kate will ever be as "popular" as Diana. She is simply not what the press and Diana herself made Diana out to be; larger than life. A lot of people want that larger than life, celebrity to read about. They are not interested in celebrating someone "ordinary."

Nor do I think Kate has any interest in being larger than life like Diana. Being larger than life is not good for a martial relationship, relationships with others and for the person themselves. It is really shocking to think that Kate is already almost the same age as Diana when she died - Kate's 30 to Diana's 36.

So while Kate will never be as "popular," i.e., able to sell as many magazines as Diana, I don't see such popularity as a virtue. I think there is more virtue in being an ordinary person who does not do things in her private life that would interest the media much.

Besides, William lived through the primary woman in his life being the most photographed and written about woman in the world. I'll go out on a limb and say that he does not care to repeat those days with the new primary woman in his life.

I doubt there will ever be another person who will command the level of public attention Diana did. I don't think that level of intense fame and attention is possible given today's media climate. Diana lived in the pre - internet age, and she also lived in a time in which there were fewer traditional media outlets. Compare the 1980s to today - we have a huge number of television stations and entertainment programs, newspapers, magazines, in addition to thousands of internet entertainment sites, blogs, chat groups, etc. IMO, no single person, (including Diana), could ever saturate all those media outlets on a long term basis.

I don't think Kate will ever be as "popular" as Diana. She is simply not what the press and Diana herself made Diana out to be; larger than life. A lot of people want that larger than life, celebrity to read about. They are not interested in celebrating someone "ordinary."

Nor do I think Kate has any interest in being larger than life like Diana. Being larger than life is not good for a martial relationship, relationships with others and for the person themselves. It is really shocking to think that Kate is already almost the same age as Diana when she died - Kate's 30 to Diana's 36.

So while Kate will never be as "popular," i.e., able to sell as many magazines as Diana, I don't see such popularity as a virtue. I think there is more virtue in being an ordinary person who does not do things in her private life that would interest the media much.

Besides, William lived through the primary woman in his life being the most photographed and written about woman in the world. I'll go out on a limb and say that he does not care to repeat those days with the new primary woman in his life.

:previous: I agree 100%

Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

I feel she will be as famous because she has already become the lady of many people's hearts. She's such a darling!!! <3

Excellent post, Princess Peach. I totally agree with what you said.

For me, Kate has already become far more popular than Diana. Of the two women, I like and admire her much more than Diana. As for the superficial qualities, she is equally photogenic and in my opinion she is far more beautiful. Will she attract the same attention from the press and public that Diana did? No, and that's a good thing.

I don't know if Kate will become more popular than Diana but the world loves them both they are/ were such down to earth ladies, Kate is followed for her fashion. Just as much as di was during her days but maybe Kate is just following in diana's footsteps but I guess with her own touch. I love and admire them both.
:: flowers ::

Diana was also a much harder worker than Catherine seems to be, much as I like her too. Diana, despite being immediately pregnant was a work horse on engagements her entire marriage. I hope that we see more of W and K now that the D of E is having health issues.

I don't know if Kate will become more popular than Diana but the world loves them both they are/ were such down to earth ladies, Kate is followed for her fashion. Just as much as di was during her days but maybe Kate is just following in diana's footsteps but I guess with her own touch. I love and admire them both.

LOL, I am admitting to my age today by this response. I truly don't think anyone who did not live through it can really grasp how much Diana impacted fashion during her early Royal "career", which IMHO, was also the height of her popularity pre-War of the Waleses. From a decade plus of meringue wedding dresses, to puffy sleeves, pearl chokers (in all price ranges), to low kitten heeled shoes and of course, the famous haircut and pie-crust "Laura Ashley" type necklines - we wore them all, ages twelve and up! To me, however, it was the return of formal hats as fashionable for the young that really spoke of the extent of her popularity. I don't remember the rules of posting pics here, but every Dianaphile will remember this suit; she wore it often. It was burgundy velvet, high street by Jaegar, and was originally worn on the third day of the October 81 Welsh tour. 99% of the "Diana Look" is there: velvet, frilled collar, pearl choker and earrings, puffed sleeves, romantic detailing on the jacket, a slightly full, longish skirt, a clutch bag (another style Diana brought back), elegant Charles Jourdan court shoes - all topped off by the most gorgeous small, veiled hat (very similar to her "going away" cantaloupe hat), complete with sweeping ostrich feather. Her influence spread as far as Japan, as was duly noted by Robert Lacey in the television production filmed to accompany his "Princess" book. (Who else could have brought seamed stockings back for daytime?)

An entire generation of women looked up to the Princess for inspiration and many copied her every move, within their own price range, of course!

Fashion-wise, Kate's wedding gown, while infinitely pretty (and not wrinkled!) has not become iconographic in the least. The copies did not move, although copies of Pippa's did.

I do think Kate has an important following in fashion, and I am glad to see her conservative dressing become more popular. I particularly like to see her patronize British designers and give the British fashion industry some lift in these hard economic times. (I don't know why everyone seems to think everything Diana wore was couture, when she also frequently wore ready-to-wear. The Jaegar suit, for example.)

So, for those of us ladies who lived through the years of Diana's initial impact on our daily wardrobes, I don't think there's even a question as to which lady had more popularity, fashion-wise. I also agree with Scooter that Diana's work ethic at age twenty and while pregnant makes a difference in the overall popularity stakes. But they are not in the same position, at all; Diana was never the wife of a full-time serving Officer while Kate has not yet been the wife of a full-time working Royal. Until William does become a full time working Royal with Kate doing the same, I don't think we'll see the true potential of how popular Kate could be. As her self-confidence improves and her charity work grows, evolves and we get to know what issues are really close to her heart - all these factors and more will determine the extent of her popularity.

But at the bottom line, I believe a lady with Diana's star-power and charisma only come around a few times a century. So my guess is that Diana will forever hold an edge in the popularity stakes. JMHO, of course - plus I don't think Kate or William would want her to attain Diana-mania type popularity. William knows all too well the price his Mum paid for it. So perhaps it's a moot point?

(Apologies for my poor English - I know this was a long post and hope it came out "clearly"!) :flowers:

Last edited:
My wish is that Diana is remembered by those that admire her and that Catherine is allowed to live her own life with William without people bringing Diana back to haunt them both.

My wish is that Diana is remembered by those that admire her and that Catherine is allowed to live her own life with William without people bringing Diana back to haunt them both.

Agreed. They're two different women, and Catherine should be allowed to make her own mark upon the world without any comparisons to anyone, not just the late Princess Diana.

The world loves Kate? For what reason?
Diana was very popular around the world, I agree, for various reasons. She was probably the most popular/famous woman in the world. But she was not only the wife of PC, she became an icon and a figure on her own. And she WORKED! Diana made engagements from the first moment she became a princess, and in her later years she became involved in several causes to which she drew attention, like the minefields, AIDS. I don´t see kate involved seriously in any cause other than her shopping and hair. It will take her years of hard work to be fairly compared to PD, and still she will lose because she lacks charisma.

Just because your not a fan of Catherine doesn't mean other ppl are not allowed to love her.

She would be doing the same amount of work as Diana if William was 2nd in line and his Father was King. But Charles isn't and Prince William atm is not a full-time working royal himself. So lets cut the comparisons with Diana shall we. She didn't marry a grandson of the monarchy did she?

Lets also note that because of Diana's less than perfect marriage to Prince Charles Buckingham Palace seems to be taking a much different approach to her schedule.

rosana said:
The world loves Kate? For what reason?
Diana was very popular around the world, I agree, for various reasons. She was probably the most popular/famous woman in the world. But she was not only the wife of PC, she became an icon and a figure on her own. And she WORKED! Diana made engagements from the first moment she became a princess, and in her later years she became involved in several causes to which she drew attention, like the minefields, AIDS. I don´t see kate involved seriously in any cause other than her shopping and hair. It will take her years of hard work to be fairly compared to PD, and still she will lose because she lacks charisma.

I can't speak for the world, but I can certainly speak for my own sentiments regarding Catherine. She's liked for her ease around people, especially children. Have you ever noticed how happy and comfortable they are in her company and she in theirs? She's hands-on when she's interacting with them, and the certainly feel that she's genuine (if she wasn't, they'd avoid her, since kids are the best judges of character). Catherine may be a royal, but she keeps herself as down-to-earth as she can, hence why we see her shopping, etc. As I have said previously, just because we don't see her running around like a chicken with her head cut off from one event to the next on daily basis, doesn't mean she doesn't do work behind the scenes. As for the lack of charisma, that couldn't be farther from the truth. All those that meet her are charmed. That cannot be faked. And if you're still in doubt, again, take a good look at how she is with kids. To me, that says it all. As for the popularity, I feel that she won't be as sensational, if you will as the late Princess was, and that's great. She'll do what needs to be done, and support her husband and the Royal Family. You can tell she's no attention seeker.

Calenei said:
Just because your not a fan of Catherine doesn't mean other ppl are not allowed to love her.

She would be doing the same amount of work as Diana if William was 2nd in line and his Father was King. But Charles isn't and Prince William atm is not a full-time working royal himself. So lets cut the comparisons with Diana shall we. She didn't marry a grandson of the monarchy did she?

Lets also note that because of Diana's less than perfect marriage to Prince Charles Buckingham Palace seems to be taking a much different approach to her schedule.

Indeed!

Rubbish! Diana actually got quite a lot of help and guidance from the palace. (the Diana victim version is she didn't, that's not the truth) She might not have had guidance over a wedding dress but then Kate's was entirely her choice as well!

Lady Susan Hussay was assigned to Diana to help her with palace protocol. The Buckingham Palace press secretary Michael O'Shea later wrote about how Diana was coached by the press office, even to the extent that she anonymously manned the phones and answered queries. She
was given press briefings and they practised her early speeches with her.

Diana was given an adviser ( name escapes me) whose help she ignored, famously tossing aside a book on previous princesses of wales, she was given.

The Palace organized for her to meet with stylists from Vogue to help with selecting her wardrobe.

Diana had a dresser Evelyn who even went on her honeymoon cruise, she was given a lot of help.
Kate has more less navigated her own way through, she doesn't have a stylist or a dresser, her
advisors are William's and Harry's team and she wasn't given a ladyinwaiting to help with
protocol.

By Diana's own calculations she had 13 not 5 dates with Charles. ( Streeton tapes) not a lot but she was given time to think over Charles's proposal. He proposed early February, she went to Australia with her mother for 3 weeks, she returned after 2 weeks and said yes. The engagement was announced Feb 24th. For her own reasons Diana was determined to marry Charles, she could have said no, she was given time to consider it (probably had her mother counsel against it since she married young to a man a lot older than her) and still said yes.
To answer the question will she become more popular? Different era, different women, Kate is better at 'disappearing' between engagements. The press don't like that, Diana arrived at the time that Rupert Murdock bought into the UK papers and he needed a media 'star' and he was able to do that with Diana. Kate era is one of the 24hour news cycle, and she ( and William in particular) seem to be determined to claw back some of those hours as private ones. This doesn't sit well with journalists covering the royals ( what will they write about!?) so they aren't going to champion her the way they did Diana. (plus Diana was a goldmine for them as she fed them stories, so even more favorable press coverage)

I wonder how many of US, at 19, and believing ourselves to be in love with the person of our dreams, would heed the words of those older and wiser. Other than both being female, any possible comparison berween Diana and Kate ends there.
We may all dream of being swept off our feet by a whirlwind, and with a mere 13 meetings, that's what she may have imagined it was, romance, but if the time spent together during those meetings is condensed into days, she probably had less than 6 full days to make a decision that would effect the rest of her life. A decision she wasn't emotionally equipped to make. Decidedly unacademic, she'd lived in that tight cocoon typical of other young women of her class, dabbling at odd, low paid jobs or becoming involved in worthy causes until such time as they are chosen by Lord Right. Kate had the benefit of being grounded in a different world, was educated, was academic, courted William from the same environment as their fellow students, was nearly 10 years older, chronologically, than Diana and emotionally had never been in the same place as Diana.

My last thoughts on this are that whilst Kate came from a loving, stable home and had seen a happy marriage demonstrated throughout her childhood, therefore having no need of a parent substitute, Diana had never known what that was and was looking for a partner who would make everything perfect. She never learned that such a person doesn't exist.

I can't speak for the world, but I can certainly speak for my own sentiments regarding Catherine. She's liked for her ease around people, especially children. Have you ever noticed how happy and comfortable they are in her company and she in theirs? She's hands-on when she's interacting with them, and the certainly feel that she's genuine (if she wasn't, they'd avoid her, since kids are the best judges of character). Catherine may be a royal, but she keeps herself as down-to-earth as she can, hence why we see her shopping, etc. As I have said previously, just because we don't see her running around like a chicken with her head cut off from one event to the next on daily basis, doesn't mean she doesn't do work behind the scenes. As for the lack of charisma, that couldn't be farther from the truth. All those that meet her are charmed. That cannot be faked. And if you're still in doubt, again, take a good look at how she is with kids. To me, that says it all. As for the popularity, I feel that she won't be as sensational, if you will as the late Princess was, and that's great. She'll do what needs to be done, and support her husband and the Royal Family. You can tell she's no attention seeker.

I don´t agree in any of your points. It is amazing how we can deduce the opposite only by seeing pictures of her isn´t it?:)
To me she has a label in her forehead that reads "where is the camera".

Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Attends A Reception At The

:previous:

The photographer is standing right in front of Kate in the direction she's walking. Where do you expect her to be looking? When photographers are taking pictures from all angles, the odd one is going to catch Kate looking straight at them.

Your point is utterly incorrect, though, because more than one royal correspondent has stated that the photographers at the events Kate attends have become frustrated with her refusal to pose for them. They struggle to get the shots they want much of the time.

Richard Palmer, Daily Express royal correspondent, in February this year:

I don't suppose it will worry her yet but royal photographers are getting fed up with Kate's refusal to even turn her head for the cameras.

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/status/167522781813157888

rosana said:
I don´t agree in any of your points. It is amazing how we can deduce the opposite only by seeing pictures of her isn´t it?:)
To me she has a label in her forehead that reads "where is the camera".

Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Attends A Reception At The

There's no need for agreement. I'm just stating my perceptions, as you are yours. However, I also think you're being a bit harsh, but that's neither here nor there.

EIIR said:

The photographer is standing right in front of Kate in the direction she's walking. Where do you expect her to be looking? When photographers are taking pictures from all angles, the odd one is going to catch Kate looking straight at them.

Your point is utterly incorrect, though, because more than one royal correspondent has stated that the photographers at the events Kate attends have become frustrated with her refusal to pose for them. They struggle to get the shots they want much of the time.

Diana had a tendency to seek the press out, and then get upset over being intruded upon, and Catherine is the complete opposite, in the sense that she doesn't go out of her way to have her pictures in the press. Yes, in the picture that was provided, the photographer is right in front of her, so she kinda needs to look at him. I like Mr. Palmer's assessment; it must be frustrating for the photographers that they can't grasp the attention of their prized subject, if you will. You'd think

I like Catherine more than I liked Diana, but I don't think she will be as popular as Diana was. I was about Diana's age when she was introduced to the world and she knew how to draw people in. She seemed so shy that most people wanted to take care of her. Diana learned to court the media at a time when the celebrity culture was just taking off. People magazine launched in 1979, just two years before the big wedding. They needed stars and Diana was obviously a star.

But the media was promoting an image. Diana make a lot of appearances for charity, but her work is overstated. Princess Anne made far more appearances for charity and the monarchy. Prince Charles made appearances, but also worked behind the scenes for less popular causes, like people overcoming addictions or who had been in trouble with the law.

Diana cut back on her appearances in the years before her tragic death. But, I will say, that when she did appear, she made an impact--which is what she wanted. She certainly cared about her charities, but she also used them to get into headlines. there is nothing "wrong" with that, it was a win-win.

Catherine on the other hand does not seem to have aspired to marry into the royal family. Her marriage is based on friendship and common interests, unlike Diana's. I don't think Catherine will ever be the cover girl that Diana was, but it doesn't matter. She is a very lovely woman and obviously makes William happy. Diana would have wanted that.

My points will always be incorrect for you, which is a little pretentious from you. At least we are seeing the same histerical grinning and looking at the cameras in every event, aren´t we. For me, that is to be paying to much attention to being photographed. The body language and the way she dresses up for every event (even the ones where one is supposed to be more relaxed like the Olympics), with tones of make-up, and the heavy ring, the curls, for me it cries "I´m Here, take nice pictures!!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom