The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's nothing wrong with Diana's memory remaining a big part of William and Harry's private lives - she was their mother, after all.

Talking about her during interviews when it's relevant is natural, too, I think. Again, she was their mother, not some lady they met a couple of times when they were younger. There are a lot of questions the princes are asked where Diana could come up, even if the question wasn't specifically about her. But I think it's worth remembering that there are many, many times when William and Harry talk about Diana because they HAVE been asked a question specifically about her. They're not randomly injecting her into the conversation.

One thing I notice too when this happens is that they'll often also mention their father. Parents are normally a huge part of anyone's life. The main thing I think is when William and Kate or Harry mention Diana, its always positive.
Its the press and the public that will keep harping on anything negative. To me, the positive statements are sweet remembrances of their mum.

I think there's nothing wrong with Diana's memory remaining a big part of William and Harry's private lives - she was their mother, after all.

Talking about her during interviews when it's relevant is natural, too, I think. Again, she was their mother, not some lady they met a couple of times when they were younger. There are a lot of questions the princes are asked where Diana could come up, even if the question wasn't specifically about her. But I think it's worth remembering that there are many, many times when William and Harry talk about Diana because they HAVE been asked a question specifically about her. They're not randomly injecting her into the conversation.
Perhaps they bring their mother up often because they feel that Diana has been whitewashed out of history by certain parties.

Perhaps they bring their mother up often because they feel that Diana has been whitewashed out of history by certain parties.

I think they want their cake and eat it too - it is all right for them to talk about their mother but if anyone else does they complain that she isn't being left to rest in peace.

She isn't being whitewashed by anyone I know but there is only so much that can be said about a dead woman - she wore nice clothes, she worked for charity, she was a mother, she cheated on her husband with multiple lovers, she died, but that is really all.

If the princes don't want a constant stream of stories about their mother than they need to start saying things like 'I/We are going to talk about the present and future not the past'

I agree completely with you

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ask me it's the press that brings up Diana all the time, they are the ones who ask the questions of William & Harry which elicits the responses of how much they miss her, how they think of her etc, so whenever they talk about her in interviews it's usually because someone asked. I also think there is somewhat almost an expectation on them to bring her up at vaguely appropriate moments, like when William did his speech for the Childhood Bereavement foundation thing. Obviously bringing up his own experiences is an effective tool with connecting with those people that run that charity & use it's services but at the same time had he not brought Diana up I suspect the press would have been "oh wasn't that strange, not even a passing mention to his own beloved mother & own childhood bereavement, he obviously doesn't care" blah blah blah.

In my opinion they can't win, ever. If they truly let her rest in peace & never bring her up in public ever, they'll be accused of forgetting about her, not caring about her, or that the rest of the RF has somehow forced them to blank out her memory so they can all forget about her or some silly thing like that. Or if they bring her up at all they'll be accused of living off her memory, using it to gain sympathy or guilt trip people into things or just for PR purposes. Or that they're somehow obsessed with their mother & can't let her rest.

That is just my opinion of the impression I get anyway, I think all things considered they both deal, publically anyway, very well with their mother's memory, bring her up at appropriate moments or when asked about her so she's honoured & respected but not bring her up all the time even at completely absurd moments. The press do that enough on their own anyway!

But anyway back on topic, I actually hope Catherine doesn't become anything like as popular as Diana, that was just insane & I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Hope, & think she will be steadily popular but not have a crazed following like Diana had hopefully.

Last edited:
'I/We are going to talk about the present and future not the past'

Their mother is very much a part of their present and future and they have every right to mention her whenever they wish. They are her living legacy and all the ugly rumours they have had to endure concerning her cannot change that.

Might Catherine become more popular than Diana, eventually? It's not impossible because as Mario Testino said:

In my modest opinion, Prince William could not have found someone more suitable than Catherine, not just because of the energy they share with each other, and the clear sense that you get when you are with them that they are going to work as a united team, but because while she has already developed a perfect sense of royal responsibility, she brings life, a delightful sense of humor, and joy into the room when she walks in.

An apt description of Diana employed many times over the years.:)

Okay...let's try to get back on topic.

This isn't a Diana Memorial thread but rather if Catherine will become more popular than Diana.

Perhaps Catherine could within the next twenty years or so due to the maturity of the generation that was too young, I mean toddlers and infants to comprehend at their ages who Diana was or those who have yet to even been born...not just in the UK...therefore among this growing class of individuals that will I can see the potential for Catherine's popularity to begin to overshadow Diana's.

Might Catherine become more popular than Diana, eventually? It's not impossible because as Mario Testino said: In my modest opinion, Prince William could not have found someone more suitable than Catherine, not just because of the energy they share with each other, and the clear sense that you get when you are with them that they are going to work as a united team, but because while she has already developed a perfect sense of royal responsibility, she brings life, a delightful sense of humor, and joy into the room when she walks in.

An apt description of Diana employed many times over the years.:)

I have a feeling that Prince William is marrying a woman like his mother. Mr. Testino got it right about her personality. SHE WILL BE A CHARISMATIC PRINCESS. I know people sometimes marry a person like their parent. I have a lot of my mother-in-law's ways.

Ms. Middleton is older, mature, loved by Prince William so she will get her appreciation and love from her prince and not the public. I think Catherine will be popular on her own, but never like Diana, Princess of Wales because she is discreet and won't let the public in. Princess Diana let the public in on her life that you felt she was a person that was helpless, sick and felt sorry for. A person asking for love. That to me made her so popular. Ms. Middleton won't let you in, thus not that popular.:flowers:

I am getting sick of the press comparing Ms. Middleton to the late Princess. This last on on weight to have a heir got me mad. I think until Prince William is needed as a full time royal they will live up north with the prince has a search and rescue pilot away from the press.:flowers:

Last edited:
I think that times have changed so much. I'm a bit younger then Diana and at least for me she was some sort of role model in the way that I thought how nice and happy a life could be in the way that my famly has taught me liife should be for a girl. There she was, young and innocent, but radiating and sparkling, about to become the next queen of the Britons. There was her groom, a grown-up man who seemed to have fallen for her beauty and innocense and propelling her to a life at the top...

Back then, t was a fairy tale. But that was before women did not only talk about women's lib, but actually battled for their access to the top positions and not only as the wife of the CEO but as the CEO herself. Before books became bestsellers with titles like "Good girls get to heaven - bad girls get anywhere!" Of course, some woman already had gone their own way to the top but it wasn't as it is today: totally normal to try to climb to the top. Totally normal to pay the high price for that.

And the media's view on women changed as well. I doubt young Lady Diana would be such a star as she once was when there have been such energetic, modern women like Mary, Maxima, Mette-Marit, Victoria... Compared to those spouses Diana was a spoiled brat.

Catherine OTOH is not. We'll see if she can be used to sell fairy tales to the readers. She is no Diana. But maybe that's what William attracts....

I have a feeling that Prince William is marrying a woman like his mother. Mr. Testino got it right about her personality. SHE WILL BE A CHARISMATIC PRINCESS. I know people sometimes marry a person like their parent. I have a lot of my mother-in-law's ways.

Ms. Middleton is older, mature, loved by Prince William so she will get her appreciation and love from her prince and not the public. I think Catherine will be popular on her own, but never like Diana, Princess of Wales because she is discreet and won't let the public in. Princess Diana let the public in on her life that you felt she was a person that was helpless, sick and felt sorry for. A person asking for love. That to me made her so popular. Ms. Middleton won't let you in, thus not that popular.:flowers:

I am getting sick of the press comparing Ms. Middleton to the late Princess. This last on on weight to have a heir got me mad. I think until Prince William is needed as a full time royal they will live up north with the prince has a search and rescue pilot away from the press.:flowers:

I think charisma is very subjective. I think that Kate has little to no charisma while you think she has loads.

The time that Diana was popular was also a very different time for the BRF. They were viewed in a much more positive way. Decades later with the scandals, divorces, and way more media attention focused on them; I think that it has tarnished their image. I don't feel that it was caused solely by Diana but rather the media feeling like they no longer were required to print only flattering stories about the family. While this decision help to humanize the family it also helped to create the image that if they are just like us why do we need them? I also think that historically the 80s was a decade tailor-made for fairytales. With everything going on in the world today, especially with the globalized media, I think the idea of a extremely popular princess is fairly remote. People just don't view royals the way they used to.

I don't think she will be a charismatic princess. Diana Spencer started gaining charisma among all the possible candidates for the position quite awhile before their engagement, and zoomed in popularity after the engagement. At the time, I do not think there were quite so many competing popular entities; we didn't yet have quite so much gossip television (there are now 4 slick tabloids and at least 4 rough ones in the U.S., at each grocery store - I don't think we had Oprah or US magazine or InStyle back then).

Kate Middleton's position, globally, is just not the same as Diana's. There was only one Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, and William is not Prince of Wales. While he may someday become PoW, the fact that he isn't, yet, makes a difference.

Further, I don't think the young women of today (I was something like 23 the year Diana married Charles) are as into British royals (globally) as we were back then. There are so many other celebrities. Diana's haircut was way before The Rachel! And there's nothing particularly unusual, btw, about Kate's hair (but there certainly was, about Diana's, the cut and color were definitely able to set a trend). Long brunette hair - well, so many already have that.

Kate has an uphill battle of public relations to become another Diana Spencer (the number of photos shot of Diana at her preschool alone...that made it into regular newspapers...outweighs everything pre-engagement for Kate).

I could be wrong, but those are my thoughts.

I think charisma is very subjective. I think that Kate has little to no charisma while you think she has loads.

The time that Diana was popular was also a very different time for the BRF. They were viewed in a much more positive way. Decades later with the scandals, divorces, and way more media attention focused on them; I think that it has tarnished their image. I don't feel that it was caused solely by Diana but rather the media feeling like they no longer were required to print only flattering stories about the family. While this decision help to humanize the family it also helped to create the image that if they are just like us why do we need them? I also think that historically the 80s was a decade tailor-made for fairytales. With everything going on in the world today, especially with the globalized media, I think the idea of a extremely popular princess is fairly remote. People just don't view royals the way they used to.

Very well put. It's not necessary to compare the individual persons and their charisma per se (although I agree with you, that my subjective view is that Kate has little to none and I know many young women with more charisma - totally subjective viewpoint, however).

Very well put. It's not necessary to compare the individual persons and their charisma per se (although I agree with you, that my subjective view is that Kate has little to none and I know many young women with more charisma - totally subjective viewpoint, however).

Charisma (meaning "gift," "of/from/favored by God/the divine") is a trait found in individuals whose personalities are characterized by a powerful charm and magnetism (attractiveness). and markedly superior capabilities of interpersonal communication and persuasion. One who is charismatic is said to be capable of using their personal being, rather than just speech or logic alone, to influence others in a personal and direct manner, and effectively communicate an argument or concept to them. It is thus a subjective rather than an objective judgment about such persons and falls into the domain of the irrational rather than rational responses.

The definition of charisma above to me very much described Diana, Princess of Wales. Also the definition says the trait is subjective. Ms Catherine Middleton has charisma now through her personal being communicating to the public. Her dresses fly off the rack because some woman want to copy her. See bold description above.

Catherine is in love with a royal who does not want his personal life in the spotlight, so she stays in the background. There is no comparing the woman yet. When Catherine becomes a princess she is public property. I hope going to St. Andrew's the press gives some news on Prince William.

My opinion is that nobody will ever be as "popular" as Diana. But that was a different time and place. It has been stressed that the Palace has learned a lot from all the "Dianamania". If Catherine sticks to Prince William, as he has said, she will do just fine. Diana and Catherine are/were 2 different people, living at vastly different times, and IMHO vastly different lives. My opinion is that in her own way Catherine will just as "popular" in the press. But maybe just a "different kind" of popular.

Diana came into the British Royal Family at a time when there had been no young, glamourous princess since Margaret and Alexandra's days in the 50s and 60s. (I am extremely respectful of Anne, whose work ethic and responsibility I admire hugely, but she most certainly did not have - and didn't court - press attention as a 'fairytale' princess.) I am some years older than Diana, and I can perhaps look on her 'reign' with mature eyes. When she became engaged to Charles, she was not charismatic. She was a shy, somewhat gangly teenager, always walking along with her head down and with not particular dress sense. It looked from outside as if she and Charles were very ill matched as he was much older and more sophisticated. One just hoped that it would work out. As we know, unfortunately, it did not. They did not love each other, and ended up tearing each other (and the RF) apart.

Catherine is much older and more intelligent. She and William appear to love and understand each other enough to get through the public 'ordeal' that will be their lives. If she seems without character or charisma, this may be entirely because for the past 8 years she has been keeping very discreetly in the background and not providing any material for the tabloid press. Once she becomes HRH Pss William of Wales (or the Duchess of .....), she will be able to let her own personality come through. And, hopefully, she will be popular because of herself and not because she is married to Diana's son.

When it comes to the royal family and this phrase "popular"...should they be popular for doing their duties or is it their duties to do what is popular? I think the answer to this question holds the answer to weather Catherine will be more popular than Diana.

Do I Think she will be more popular no will she do a better job yes

I don't think she will be a charismatic princess. Diana Spencer started gaining charisma among all the possible candidates for the position quite awhile before their engagement, and zoomed in popularity after the engagement. At the time, I do not think there were quite so many competing popular entities; we didn't yet have quite so much gossip television (there are now 4 slick tabloids and at least 4 rough ones in the U.S., at each grocery store - I don't think we had Oprah or US magazine or InStyle back then).

Kate Middleton's position, globally, is just not the same as Diana's. There was only one Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, and William is not Prince of Wales. While he may someday become PoW, the fact that he isn't, yet, makes a difference.

Further, I don't think the young women of today (I was something like 23 the year Diana married Charles) are as into British royals (globally) as we were back then. There are so many other celebrities. Diana's haircut was way before The Rachel! And there's nothing particularly unusual, btw, about Kate's hair (but there certainly was, about Diana's, the cut and color were definitely able to set a trend). Long brunette hair - well, so many already have that.

Kate has an uphill battle of public relations to become another Diana Spencer (the number of photos shot of Diana at her preschool alone...that made it into regular newspapers...outweighs everything pre-engagement for Kate).

I could be wrong, but those are my thoughts.

I agree with your sentiments exactly. Diana was so unique...and especially since here in the U.S. we were not used to seeing a 'shy' blueblood, rather most aristocrats that filtered through our media were usually portrayed as haughty and cold but then came Diana full of warmth and seemingly 'normal' with a regular job caring for small children and she often appeard to be looking downwards most of the time. She really was such a great mystery that drew us in and she also had that indefinable "it" factor from the start whereas Catherine not so much.

Catherine is a cute girl and has great style but I currently don't see anything even remotely near the hysteria in the U.S. that occurred when it was apparent that Prince Charles had designs on Diana. The magazines and web sites here do not even have the wedding itself as a major story but once every other week or so when a detail like the wedding invitation style leaks out. Other than that, we don't see daily pictures of Catherine like we did with Diana leading up to the wedding. No, it's definitely not the same frenzy that occurred with Princess Diana and I doubt she will ever become as popular as Diana became worldwide. :rose:

ortiz said:
I agree with your sentiments exactly. Diana was so unique...and especially since here in the U.S. we were not used to seeing a 'shy' blueblood, rather most aristocrats that filtered through our media were usually portrayed as haughty and cold but then came Diana full of warmth and seemingly 'normal' with a regular job caring for small children and she often appeard to be looking downwards most of the time. She really was such a great mystery that drew us in and she also had that indefinable "it" factor from the start whereas Catherine not so much.

Catherine is a cute girl and has great style but I currently don't see anything even remotely near the hysteria in the U.S. that occurred when it was apparent that Prince Charles had designs on Diana. The magazines and web sites here do not even have the wedding itself as a major story but once every other week or so when a detail like the wedding invitation style leaks out. Other than that, we don't see daily pictures of Catherine like we did with Diana leading up to the wedding. No, it's definitely not the same frenzy that occurred with Princess Diana and I doubt she will ever become as popular as Diana became worldwide. :rose:

I think we would be seeing pictures of Catherine every day if they were being taken- I think she's avoiding the press like crazy. People criticize Catherine's decision to work for her family, but that's largely what's allowed her to not live under a paparazzi microscope. They have no access to her daily because she can choose to avoid being in public most of the time. I think she would actually be causing a similar media frenzy right now if she wanted to, but it appears lessons really have been learned.

Kate coverage is picking up a bit. It's just 2 months to the wedding and all the major US networks who have entertainment shows are beginning to at least have a sentence or two in their nightly broadcasts. They're (the networks) all running the wedding, as far as I am aware, so mentioning Kate and PW constitutes free advertising for the coming extravaganza.

princess diana was so special. i think we shouldn't compare kate to her as kate is from a different background and royalty is viewed differently now than it was 30 years ago. they've become celebrities really...

princess diana was so special. i think we shouldn't compare kate to her as kate is from a different background and royalty is viewed differently now than it was 30 years ago. they've become celebrities really...

Prior to Diana the royals were a class apart from celebrities - there were celebrities and then there were royals - but her popularity reduced them to celebrity status only.

Prior to Diana the royals were a class apart from celebrities - there were celebrities and then there were royals - but her popularity reduced them to celebrity status only.

Iluvbertie, I agree Diana, Princess of Wales was more a celebrity than a royal. But I do not think royals today are now degraded to that status of celebrity because of Princess Diana. Today royals can choose how they want the public to know about them and after Princess Diana death how to treat the press.

Last edited:
I think that Kate and William have both shown that they can handle the press. They don't cater to the press/public's demand for information about their private lives, which I think is a good thing.

Today royals can choose how they want the public to know about them and after Princess Diana death how to treat the press.

Iluvbertie, I agree Diana, Princess of Wales was more a celebrity than a royal. But I do not think royals today are now degraded to that status of celebrity because of Princess Diana. Today royals can choose how they want the public to know about them and after Princess Diana death how to treat the press.

The press, when it doesn't get stories, goes after the royals though now in ways that they simply wouldn't have done pre-Diana, Sarah and the 80s when they were fed stories by royals. Now, if the royals don't play ball they will simply write damaging articles about them.

The press, when it doesn't get stories, goes after the royals though now in ways that they simply wouldn't have done pre-Diana, Sarah and the 80s when they were fed stories by royals. Now, if the royals don't play ball they will simply write damaging articles about them.

Well last Fall Anchorman Brian Williams from NBC interviewed Prince Charles and the prince told Mr. Williams that he does not read the newspaper because of that. I don't know of too many royals making comments against the damaging articles. I think after I saw a movie by a British woman photographer (that made a living for 17 years) taking pictures of Diana, Princess of Wales. The photographer was respectful of the princess. She was helping Princess Diana put together a lawsuit against the press when she died in 1997. I will always wonder if that was the reason for Princess Diana's statement to the press. Something like "Just what till you see what I am going to do next." Princess Caroline of Monaco won a law suit against the German press.

Well last Fall Anchorman Brian Williams from NBC interviewed Prince Charles and the prince told Mr. Williams that he does not read the newspaper because of that. I don't know of too many royals making comments against the damaging articles. I think after I saw a movie by a British woman photographer (that made a living for 17 years) taking pictures of Diana, Princess of Wales. The photographer was respectful of the princess. She was helping Princess Diana put together a lawsuit against the press when she died in 1997. I will always wonder if that was the reason for Princess Diana's statement to the press. Something like "Just what till you see what I am going to do next." Princess Caroline of Monaco won a law suit against the German press.

The royals don't comment on the damaging articles but that doesn't mean they don't read them or know about them. Commenting would just add to the damage that is being done.

Caroline's lawsuit was about intrusive photos - not damaging articles based on a flimsy premise - just look at the articles about Andrew due to his being photographed with an unsavoury character.

Kate has every chance of surpassing Diana's popularity. Kate is here, now, cute, educated, and if we're lucky, Kate and the PW will be lucky in love and be happily married for 50 or 60 years. That's a lot of time for goodwill over about 3 generations to come.

Kate has every chance of surpassing Diana's popularity.

Its possible though it has yet to be seen. Kate isn't generating the same buzz Diana did which is good imo. That level of popularity is too much. I just hope she has a happy married life and performs her duties well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom