The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Yes, that's also what I think. Diana did get this huge popularity cause it didn't take too much time between the start of their relationship and the wedding. All went very fast (too fast maybe). But I guess Kate would prefer being happy with her husband than being as famous as Diana and being lonely.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 05-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraib View Post
NO.:)
No, I don't think Kate will be EVER more popular than Diana, even if it's in the matter of newspaper sales rather than on public opinion. Kate just doesn't have that charisma or "charm" Diana had when she got married to Prince Charles. I read in a pervious thread that many people dub Kate as a "middle class women." I don't know anyone whose bank account has more than $5 million dollars and lives in a $2 million dollar house and calls themselves a member of a middle class. Diana, on the other hand truly was a middle class girl, which made people relate to her even more. I, personally don't find my self relating to Kate. She seems one of those rich girls who had it all and were given more. Diana on the other hand was someone who you wanted to succeed because she was also coming from nothing. I don't know, I just don't see Kate being MORE or even AS famous as Diana.:)
Diana wasn´t middle class she was a noblewoman from a very very wealthy landowning family and a descendant of Charles II more than once over, there was nothing middle class about Lady Diana Spencer.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraib
I don't know anyone whose bank account has more than $5 million dollars
I'd like to know how anyone can claim knowledge of Kate Middleton's bank balance.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:02 PM

^Yeah, if anyone knows about what Kate has in her bank account, it's probably from the trash-fishing tabloids (literally rummaging in her curbside trash), and in that case, Kate needs to get herself a shredder. Short of that, however....

On the subject of Diana being compared to past royalty, there have been some comparisons, but like TheTruth said, I think they were posthumously proposed, and I can't think of any that existed at the time of her engagement. But Pimlott made a comparison to Princess Charlotte Augusta, and there have been other comparisons to Queen Alexandra, though most likely only because of the commonly-held title, and also the late Queen Mother.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Aristocracy

If I understand correctly everyone in the UK who doesn't hold a noble title is considered "middle class" irrespective of his/her wealth. Even multi billionaire Richard Branson is middle class.

I don't think Kate will cause the same sort of hype Diana did. She doesn't have the same appeal: First because her and William's story isn't a "fairy tale" but a relationship that developed naturally at college and second because Kate doesn't have the same sort of tragic life story (at least I very much hope she won't). A lot of people sympathised with Diana because she was cheated on and unhappy, yet very warm and caring. While Kate will undoubtedly take on a lot of engagments if she joins the Royal Family, people won't feel with her like they did with Diana since (I very much hope) she won't suffer the same way. Still she'll probably become a very popular and well liked member of the Royal Family.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Who was Diana compared with at the time of her dating/engagement with Charles?
Excellent question! I remember Diana being compared to Charles's other girlfriends at the time of their engagement, and she came off looking rather well in comparison because she was so young and fresh. The others were so much more sophisticated than she was, and she seemed like the kind of girl I'd like to have as a friend.

Diana's sudden rise to fame, her marriage, her first child, and taking on a high-profile role, all within two or three years, was the worst possible thing that could have happened to her IMO. For someone who needed stability and security as much as Diana did, the sudden attention and adoration must have been damaging in some way.

Kate's had a lot more time to get used to media attention and establish her relationship with William and his family. If she's The One, this will establish her well.

She had Queen Alexandra's large eyes as well, and some of her charities were involved with hospitals, which I believe was of interest to Queen Alexandra as well.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Don´t forget that Diana´s sister was one of the girls that he was supposed to be marrying and that Diana had been close to the British royal family all her life. She didn´t have to learn how to get on with the family, she already knew them well. Her grandmother was the Queen mother´s lady-in-waiting and a very close friend.
Kate Middleton would never have mixed with royalty, she just happened to meet Prince William when they were lodged in the same house at University.
Most papers say that her parents are millionaires, and that her father has a business supplying, or perhaps manufacturing, party goods, no royal or noble background there.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Aristocracy

i dont think so

she will always be compared to diana...whos popularity she will infact increase
Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKLS2007 View Post
Of course she would but could she do a worldwide impact like Diana did??? I personally don't know and my gut tells me no. I wouldn't want her to be forced into charity work just because it was her job. I sincerely believe Diana truly cared for the causes and people she championed.
..and to add to that, people really felt that about her, that there was a genuineness there about Diana. Not to mention that Diana worked hard at her job as a nanny, no one could have accused her of just lounging about prior to the engagement, like Kate seems to be doing.
To sum it up, we've had enough time to observe that Kate, A) doesn't care too much about volunteering and charities and the like, and B) that she is content to spend her life focused on shopping clubbing, and taking the occasional photograph. Hardly a person the British people would take a huge shine to, let alone the world. At best she becomes a sort of Mary of Denmark, a not too interesting, not too controversial, mediocre personality that doesn't cause any waves. Boring. Too bad Harry isn't the first born.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Nobility

When you think about it, that's just what the BRF needs, a "not too interesting, not too controversial" [princess olga] princess! After the last few decades it would be a blessing to have the royal family pretty much off the front page of the Sun and Mail. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen since the journalists (and I use the term loosely) at these papers are prone to "creating" news when there is nothing to reports (Charles and Camilla are a good example of their "creativity").

I think it possible the populace of Great Britain will be more than happy to see their royal family return to what it once was. I'm sure I'll be corrected if my assumption missed the mark, but I think the mystique the BRF once had needs to reappear.

As I said earlier, I sincerely hope Kate does not come anywhere close to Diana in popularity and media coverage. Once in a lifetime was plenty!

Cat
Old 05-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

There's a real difference between popularity and fame. A famous person isn't necessarily popular, and vice-versa. If Kate comes across as being basically a nice person, keeps up her appearance, and is involved with the people of the UK, I think that she will be very well-liked although not necessarily idolized or adored....which is a good thing.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
At best she becomes a sort of Mary of Denmark, a not too interesting, not too controversial, mediocre personality that doesn't cause any waves. Boring
Interestingly enough I recently saw one of those many documentaries that they keep doing on Diana, where the many royal experts that had on it said that if Kate were to marry William someone she should look to for an example is CP Mary and not Diana. They based this on the fact the Mary is hugely popular but without controversy.

Quote:
she will always be compared to diana...whos popularity she will infact increase
How can Diana's popularity increase. Diana will always be remembered for the things she did by those who were around at the time but there is a whole new generation to whom Diana is nothing more than another dead member of the Royal Family
Old 05-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Courtier

She will never be as popular as Diana was. Princess Diana even after her death remain being soo popular, SO ANY OTHER princess will catch the atention that Princess Diana had. No matter what this new crown princesses do, there is just one and that was Diana, nobody is going to reach her popularity, almost each person in this world knew who she was, so it is unavoidable.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Ah yes, but there's the Diana Legend...and she will live on in that way. Her life story is melodramatic in a way that few other Royals is/was. She lived the dark part of the Fairy Tale. If someone made it up and published it in a novel, it would be considered completely over-the-top; but Diana actually lived it. True, much of the drama was of her own making; but her life was really dramatic. Long after the person who was Diana is forgotten, there'll still be a legend about her IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
t there is a whole new generation to whom Diana is nothing more than another dead member of the Royal Family
Old 05-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Ah yes, but there's the Diana Legend...and she will live on in that way.
In life an icon. In death a Saint. Well one should never talk ill of the dead but it would be well to remember that she was well on her way to eclipsing the worst of Harry's "Party Prince" reputation immediately before her death. Now she is perfect! Go figure.

Kate has upped her game. She is not controversial, she is older, more mature, and let's not forget . . . . this is a new centuary where the events are instataneously beamed around the world. The Net is forever. Kate is a child of the technological age and has access to more than enough history and cautionary tales.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Courtier

I am not sure anyone can be more popular than Diana
Old 05-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Heir Apparent

No I doubt that Kate will have the popularity of Diana which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think she will be popular in the mode of Princess Mary, fashionable, pretty etc. Fortunately...hopefully the personal side of their relationship will be more successful which is far more important IMO. Diana struck the public consciousness instantly. I remember be excited by her and about her right off the bate. Kate is lovely but I dont have much interest in her; same with William. The "it" factor is just different with Kate.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Royal Highness

I think Kate Middleton will be in the news more than she wants. The press is waiting for their next cash maker.

Has anyone noticed how much Prince William is in the news more recently doing his engagements? Just think about what his wife will have to put up with.

But again, Diana, Princess of Wales told the public about her private life that I don't think Kate would ever think of doing if she became William's princess.
She will be loved and satified with Prince William.

I think William and Kate will keep their private lives private like they are doing right now.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

If Kate & William marry, I hope that she is not more popular than Diana. Indeed I hope she is not as popular as Diana. I think Diana's level of popularity was unhealthy. I think the RF needs stability at the moment and someone who can quietly get on with the buisiness of being William's wife and consort, not a new celebrity.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Ah yes, but there's the Diana Legend...and she will live on in that way. Her life story is melodramatic in a way that few other Royals is/was. She lived the dark part of the Fairy Tale. If someone made it up and published it in a novel, it would be considered completely over-the-top; but Diana actually lived it. True, much of the drama was of her own making; but her life was really dramatic. Long after the person who was Diana is forgotten, there'll still be a legend about her IMO.
Diana is a legend to those who were interested in her at the time but to the new generation who weren't born or were too young at the time to remember when she was almost always on the cover of daily newspapers, she is just the same as the Queen Mother or Princess Margaret, a deceased princess.

Quote:
I think William and Kate will keep their private lives private like they are doing right now.
I honestly believe that this is the best thing they could do, there needs to be an air of mystery around the Royal Family, if we know too much about them, if they seem to be just like us - then what is the point of them! Overexposure for anyone on in the spotlight is a really bad thing.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana