The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Nobility

I really hope she doesn't! It's bad enough living in a fishbowl, especially with the love/hate rollercoaster relationship the press always seems to foster. It seems the papers and tabloids were always building Diana (and even Sarah) up, only to bring her down again. One week it was all smiles and sunshine and she could do no wrong, the next she couldn't put a foot right.

It is my hope Kate can avoid that. So far she has done nothing to encourage the attention she receives and I hope she continues to act as she does now after she and William are married (supposing of course they do eventually marry).

Cat

Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I don't think popularity will come into it, I think what everyone is really talking about is, will Kate be a celebrity like Di, and the answer to that is no, because she wouldn't want to be.
I really feel the same way. I don't think the Royal Family want or need another celebrity princess. Kate, to me at least, does not seem seek the spotlight and I can't imagine that this will change if they do marry. I believe that you can be a popular and appreciated princess without being the constant focus of the worlds media.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

I think yes! If she married william and if she start to act like Diana, to support social causes, have important Patronages and more important if she really start to do something, to act, to be proactiv, she will get the same popularity. Also she needs to smile, to be kind and to be in the people's grace, yes she has the potential no doubt of it, but she needs to work for that!!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think Kate would ever be as popular or well-liked as Diana.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

A lot of my British friends think Kate is too "common" So far however,she proved that she can keep her mouth shut and toe the line (like dropping out of the race in the English Channel last year) I am sure the Palace will rein her in or at least they will try.
The difference with Diana was that she burst on the scene, became engaged, married and bore William in a 2 year span. Kate has been front and center for so long there is nothing more to anticipate..........
Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I do not think that Kate will be popular as much as Diana.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Gentry

I don't think that Kate will be as popular as Diana. I think the time when royals are idolized as much as Diana was has passed. I also feel that Kate lacks the star power and charisma that Diana had naturally. This might ultimately led to a happier life for Kate if she marries William. Less popularity/hype means less press coverage which means a better chance at a happy and private home life. Kate isn't my first choice for my future queen, but if she is William's then I hope they have a happy home life together; I don't wish them any ill will.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

If Kate and William get married, keep their marriage together, and have a stable family life, then I think that Kate might be more popular than Diana in the long run. Diana had huge popularity but also a huge fall from public grace once the scandals came out. I hope that Kate is one day able to win over her detractors; I think that she must be a very special lady to keep William's interest for so long.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate will be popular as long as they will be together.
If they break up probably she would try (probably hard) to stay on spotlight (be popular) as long as it will be possible.
If they stay together and married some day I hope that she wouldn't treat her new role princess as a game/ party. She would get to hard work and show that she is worth be a prince wife specially PoW, calling her princess (no matter of her background) and queen. If she do that she has a c hance to be more popular as late Diana was.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I agree totally. Should they get engaged, I'm looking forward to hearing her speak for herself rather than learning about her through news reports alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
She would get to hard work and show that she is worth be a prince wife specially PoW, calling her princess (no matter of her background) and queen. If she do that she has a c hance to be more popular as late Diana was.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I don't think she'll be more popular than Diana. Every newspaper compare the 2 women but in the first months of Charles and Diana relationship there was a real mania surrounding her. What attracted the attention on Diana was that Charles was in a constant search of a bride. The media were just following him everywhere to see who was the new catch of the day. Kate is popular but it's been 5 years that they are together and it's starting to get long for the public and the press. To me it's getting "boring" and I believe people will get sick of waiting if nothing happens in a year.
Their stories are just too different to be compared. She'll probably be very famous and maybe as famous as Diana but it will never be for the same reason.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 05-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It depends.
Her ealtionship with william has been very public, it wasn't hidden away or kept a secret like Prince Charles and Diana's was and they've been dating for what 4 years now?
Prince Charles and Diana dated for around about the same time, but their affairs were less public.
The people do seem to love Kate, maybe not as much as Diana but if she does Marry prince William then maybe they will love her as much. This country needs another person to idolise/adore as much as they did for Diana. She seems a nice enough girl who seems truely in love with Prince William. But maybe the question is If she does become as popular as Diana, will she be able to cope with it?
x
Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Aristocracy

yes the people need someone to idolise but is not kate how can people idolise someone that does not work and leave off their parent cares and put her life on hold for her william, yes she will be popular ad diana but will she be respect as diana no after everything of nothing for 5years she is going to need less popular and more hard work to show the people different side of her than what we have seen for 5 years which is not impressive so far.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Commoner

Of course she would but could she do a worldwide impact like Diana did??? I personally don't know and my gut tells me no. I wouldn't want her to be forced into charity work just because it was her job. I sincerely believe Diana truly cared for the causes and people she championed.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

it is hard to compare the two woman as they are different generations
whilst Diana is one of the most popular woman in history she lived a short life and in this new age of advanced technology ie the web, mobile phones with cameras and videos Kate if she married William could potentially be more recognisable and more photographed than Diana. Had Diana lived in this 21st century she undoubtable would dominate yet everyone has there peak period, when they are in the prime, Kate could be eclipsed by her children and their wives

Old 05-10-2008, 10:48 AM

It is impossible to say.......... because Kate Middleton is an unwritten persona as yet. We only know such trivial details and facial expressions as give us an idea of how she dresses and such like that. We know that it is a given she will be popular, but the how much and what kind of representations will be hers are for the future to reveal in its own good time. You never know. She could be a royal b**** and thus be as earth-shattering to the monarchy as Diana was, and hence as popular. But she could also turn out to be as dull as she promises to be now, and as dull as her boyfriend, which, given the horrible 80s and 90s (for the monarchy) wouldn't be such a bad thing at all, I guess.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I don't think she'll be more popular than Diana. Every newspaper compare the 2 women but in the first months of Charles and Diana relationship there was a real mania surrounding her. What attracted the attention on Diana was that Charles was in a constant search of a bride. The media were just following him everywhere to see who was the new catch of the day. Kate is popular but it's been 5 years that they are together and it's starting to get long for the public and the press. To me it's getting "boring" and I believe people will get sick of waiting if nothing happens in a year.
Their stories are just too different to be compared. She'll probably be very famous and maybe as famous as Diana but it will never be for the same reason.

I'm at a point, I try to ignore the relationship and not read too much on royal forums and stuff like that. You can't ask them to break up and not be friends or to get married ASAP just because the average joes and janes of the world are sick of hearing about it

When you take away the media sensationess, and even the royal titles, it's really just two young adult people in a relationship just like anywhere else. I have an uncle that dated a woman for like 20 or so years before he married at an old age, in fact, everyone was shocked when they got married because we thought it would never happen. So a relationship that's been on and off for 5-6 years is nothing.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:52 AM

I have a question that is kind of on topic, but kind of off topic, so I'm not sure if it's a good one for the thread. But I'll try it on you anyway. Here goes.

You ask, "Will Kate be as popular as Diana?" Since so many press writings have compared Kate to Diana, what about Diana? Who was Diana compared with at the time of her dating/engagement with Charles? Was she compared to anyone in the past? Just curious....! I never thought of it before. What do you think?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKLS2007 View Post
I'm at a point, I try to ignore the relationship and not read too much on royal forums and stuff like that. You can't ask them to break up and not be friends or to get married ASAP just because the average joes and janes of the world are sick of hearing about it
No, all I'm saying is that people and the press will get bored and won't give Kate enough popularity to surpass Diana's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I have a question that is kind of on topic, but kind of off topic, so I'm not sure if it's a good one for the thread. But I'll try it on you anyway. Here goes.

You ask, "Will Kate be as popular as Diana?" Since so many press writings have compared Kate to Diana, what about Diana? Who was Diana compared with at the time of her dating/engagement with Charles? Was she compared to anyone in the past? Just curious....! I never thought of it before. What do you think?
I don't think Diana was compared to anyone before she died in fact. I remember that many saw a kind of Marilyn Monroe in Diana since they died at the same age. However, the comparison stops here. I believe she wasn't associated to someone simply because the UK hadn't experience such an interest for the PoW's wife-to-be before.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 05-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
No, all I'm saying is that people and the press will get bored and won't give Kate enough popularity to surpass Diana's.
I think that the press and people are already a little bored with Kate and William and this whole will they or won't they thing that has been going on for years now but I do believe that if/when they do get engaged there will be a whole new fresh interest in Kate.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana