The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
I remember the separation years well, I grew up when they were separated...you really must stop insiting otherwise "sd" as you truely have no idea, but are merely assuming to know what I remember and what I don't.
I would just question the memories of a 9 year old child. I seem to have truly upset you over this but, you were only 10 or 11 when she died, so most of what you remember has to have been from books.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Aristocracy

^ Sorry Margrethe II. I seriously know better than that. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I would just question the memories of a 9 year old child. I seem to have truly upset you over this but, you were only 10 or 11 when she died, so most of what you remember has to have been from books.
No way not at all "sd", far from being upset...

You are just going to have to accept that I actually do remember many things from as early as the Wales's seperation. If you choose not to believe this, I shall loose no sleep over it, I assure you.lol.

Now, I suggest we get back on topic before we are reprimanded by the moderating or administrating authorities...let us keep our dignity

"MII"
Old 03-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Now, I suggest we get back on topic before we are reprimanded by the moderating or administrating authorities...let us keep our dignity
Yes lets.

If you lose a child, it is not replaced by another, the replacement is not more or less popular than the child that has gone.

There will be people who are fans of Diana and there will be fans of Kate, some will be fans of both.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I hope she doesn't bring too much excitement to the royals, if indeed they do get married. Lets hope everyone has moved on from those days. We have Mary, Maxima, Letizia and all the other young royals now.:)
these other young royals that you talk about are virtually unknown in other parts of the world. they're not even reported on here so i for one hope that kate brings that spark of excitement back to the royals.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraib
Thank-you. Diana was and still is a legend. She just isn't a memory, she is a smell that still lingers on. Diana was a picture that didn't need a frame to be beautiful, Kate on the other hand can't be compared to any of it.:)
a smell???
Old 03-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
None of them are 'legends'.
Legendary means a famous person who exists only in legend.
Legend is a traditional story or myth.
i think you know what point is trying to be made.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
these other young royals that you talk about are virtually unknown in other parts of the world. they're not even reported on here so i for one hope that kate brings that spark of excitement back to the royals.
Yes, that's true. We hardly hear about the British royals here in Canada, let alone the royals from other countries. I would venture to guess that most Canadians have never heard of Mary, Maxima, Mathilde, etc. Do you even think many Canadians have heard of Kate?

I agree, Duchess, that it would be nice to have a bit of excitement back again. I think that the last years of the Queen's reign will be pretty calm & quiet. I also imagine the same for all of Charle's reign. So it would be nice if William and whomever he chooses to marry, could bring a fresh perspective on things. We just don't want too much excitement!!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shynes
I highly doubt a women set to become a royal soon would buy their clothes at some regular shop right off the rack. Instead, I think, they'd probably privately consult with a designer to custom make a few pieces for them.
the suit diana wore to announce her engagement was right off the rack!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
What you remember can only be from the history books, you must have been around 5 when she married, 10 when they separated, 11 when she died. I would disagree that anyone of your age could clearly remember her, how many times did you meet for instance?
Most 25's and under, only 'remember' her as Williams mother, or from what they have been told or read, that's what happens. I too know a lot of 25's and under and that and the scandals she was involved in, is all they know about her.
Kate is the here and now, at the moment and nobody can compete with that.
why would say that they can't possibly remember her clearly? of course they could remember her clearly? and why would you ask if they've met?
Old 03-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
Yes, that's true. We hardly hear about the British royals here in Canada, let alone the royals from other countries. I would venture to guess that most Canadians have never heard of Mary, Maxima, Mathilde, etc. Do you even think many Canadians have heard of Kate?

I agree, Duchess, that it would be nice to have a bit of excitement back again. I think that the last years of the Queen's reign will be pretty calm & quiet. I also imagine the same for all of Charle's reign. So it would be nice if William and whomever he chooses to marry, could bring a fresh perspective on things. We just don't want too much excitement!!
what i meant was that other royal families are virtually unknown here but the british royals are reported on although much less since diana's death.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I think any of us are going to get our major impression of Diana, Kate, or any other royal primarily from the media and our impressions of them will vary depending on when we started watching.

I remember Charles' dating period in the seventies so Diana was already the 4th or 5th girl he was linked to.

One thing I do NOT wish for is some more excitement back in the BRF. They finally seem happy after a lot of years of hard times. Charles and Camilla are happy and doing well, Sophie and Edward were finally able to get married and have a child and Sophie just glows. The Queen and Prince Philip are finally able to enjoy their golden years without worrying about their children. Now if only Andrew could find someone nice to settle down with it would be perfect.

The excitement was great for the fans but hell for the family itself. I think they deserve a break.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
One thing I do NOT wish for is some more excitement back in the BRF ...
The excitement was great for the fans but hell for the family itself. I think they deserve a break.
Yes, that is true Ysbel. Your point is well taken.

However, I think we need the royal family to be a bit exciting for people, otherwise the risk is that people will become apathetic about the institution of monarchy. It's a very fine line though. We certainly don't wish to see what happened in the 80s & 90s be repeated.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
why would say that they can't possibly remember her clearly? of course they could remember her clearly? and why would you ask if they've met?
"You wern't even born when she married, you were 4 when they separated", is what you took the reply from. As I said in a later reply, I and a lot of people would question the 'memory' of such a young child and therefore the memories would probably not be first hand.
I asked if they had met because if not, it is all hearsay or from biased (either way) books, not from memory at all.
Quote:
these other young royals that you talk about are virtually unknown in other parts of the world. they're not even reported on here.
Just because they are not reported in your part of the world, CP Mary is very popular in Australia for instance.
As for the other old post, none of them are legends, they are just dead celebrities.
As MII has already said, it is better to stay on topic, rather than refer back to posts of 22/02
Old 03-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
One thing I do NOT wish for is some more excitement back in the BRF. They finally seem happy after a lot of years of hard times. Charles and Camilla are happy and doing well, Sophie and Edward were finally able to get married and have a child and Sophie just glows. The Queen and Prince Philip are finally able to enjoy their golden years without worrying about their children. Now if only Andrew could find someone nice to settle down with it would be perfect.

Very well said, ysbel, that is what a lot of people forget, the family that had to live through such traumatic times. Diana is out of it but, her sons and the rest of the people who were around at the time are still being made to suffer and it is, in my opinion a terrible thing to do to anyone, start comparing them to a dead person.

Kate is Kate and if she marries William, the best of luck to her and lets hope that she isn't hounded.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
Yes, that is true Ysbel. Your point is well taken.

However, I think we need the royal family to be a bit exciting for people, otherwise the risk is that people will become apathetic about the institution of monarchy. It's a very fine line though. We certainly don't wish to see what happened in the 80s & 90s be repeated.
Good point, Squidgy, though I think excitement in general is a little problematic for the BRF. With other royal families, its not that much of a problem.

The Danes have a tradition of marrying outside of Denmark which is an easy way to keep the excitement and interest high without damaging the DRF. It's always fun to see how a foreign princess will adapt to the language and customs of her new country. I think the tradition of marrying foreigners has made the DRF more lenient and forgiving towards their in-laws; they knew right away the women would face challenges and had to make allowances for it. I was saddened to learn of the divorce of Joachim and Alexandra but they managed that with the minimum of pain for their children and their families.

But the British don't have the recent tradition of marrying outside of Britain. George V married Mary of Teck who spent a lot of time in England, George VI married Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, already a Brit, Elizabeth II married Prince Philip who had assumed a British passport and fought for Britain during the war, and Charles married Lady Diana, an English aristocrat. They tend to want to marry women who they think will fit the mold as much as possible before they marry and its possible that in doing so they underestimate the challenges that the women would have once they're in the royal family.

The last truly foreign Princess of Wales was Alexandra of Denmark and she definitely added some excitement and appeal to the family. I'm always charmed to read of the little family traditions that the BRF practice to this day which Alexandra brought to England.

Finally, to answer the question of this thread, I don't think any woman William marries is going to be as popular as Diana because William is already uncomfortable with press attention. He would naturally shy away from any woman who would attract the attention and excitement that Diana did. So I don't expect him to choose an exciting partner.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
He would naturally shy away from any woman who would attract the attention and excitement that Diana did. So I don't expect him to choose an exciting partner.
I don't think popularity will come into it, I think what everyone is really talking about is, will Kate be a celebrity like Di, and the answer to that is no, because she wouldn't want to be.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I don't think popularity will come into it, I think what everyone is really talking about is, will Kate be a celebrity like Di, and the answer to that is no, because she wouldn't want to be.
Point taken, skydragon. Someone could be as well liked as Diana but not attract the type of attention. I was talking about the celebrity and not the popularity per se.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Will Kate Middleton be as popular as Princess Diana? First she has to nab the prince....

Menarue
Old 05-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

i think diana was such a powerful symbol. her patronages were strong, her noble backgound, her beauty and elegance, her charme and approachableness... were features that enhanced her public image and made it quite understandable that she obtained such a huge popularity. i don't know whether kate would be able to get the same attention and it's very much up to her and how she behaves, but i truly believe she has potential to match up diana's popularity.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana