The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Well popularity if a pretty fleeting thing which can be artificially manufactured by the press, much better to be respected and admired than to be merely popular for the long run.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I like a clothes horse as much as the next girl. Victoria Beckham is an inspiration to me, I love me some Anna Wintour. But not everyone is a clothes horse and Kate falls into that family. She recycles she borrows her mom and sisters clothes and she doesn't live off of $1000 shoes. She has never come off like that, not in 2003 not in 2007 and not in 2012. But not being a fashionista doesn't mean you can't set trends.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If one is talking about following Kate's lead, one thing that leaps to my mind is when she wore a bracelet for a charity (the name escapes me at the moment). It wasn't expensive, I think it may have been plastic and it certainly wasn't designer. It sold out at the charity's website within hours.

This is what impresses me.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi
If one is talking about following Kate's lead, one thing that leaps to my mind is when she wore a bracelet for a charity (the name escapes me at the moment). It wasn't expensive, I think it may have been plastic and it certainly wasn't designer. It sold out at the charity's website within hours.

This is what impresses me.
You're thinking of EACH; East Anglia Children's Hospice. I wonder if the bracelets are still selling out. If so, then well done, Catherine!

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Nobility

i think you cannot compare the two; however, they are both very special in their own ways. Their similarities are: they have a great appeal amongst the people, both very attractive, and very dedicated to doing a good job. I don't think it will be fair to compare the either of them. Let's just say they will be equally popular for being the genuine people that they are.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDianafan View Post
i think you cannot compare the two; however, they are both very special in their own ways. Their similarities are: they have a great appeal amongst the people, both very attractive, and very dedicated to doing a good job. I don't think it will be fair to compare the either of them. Let's just say they will be equally popular for being the genuine people that they are.

I agree with you, everyone is individual.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Serene Highness

I agree everyone is an individual and such comparisons are odious. I will say many of the 'Diana fans' that I meet are not monarchists. They like Diana for 'thumbing her nose' at the Royal Family and taking the opportunity to slander the name of the Prince of Wales and other members of the BRF in the media.
On the other hand, monarchists I know love the Duchess and her understated style and desire not to overshadow the Duke.
Popularity is very subjective and it is almost impossible to compare one individual to another.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Majesty

I truly admired the late Princess of Wales and appreciated all the great things she did while was here. but I think she would want everyone to allow her daughter-in-law to be herself and carve out her own role as the future Princess of Wales and Queen.

I don't think Catherine's focus is on becoming poplular and more poplular than her late mother-in-law. I think Catherine is more focused on doing the best she can in her role as William's wife, putting her best foot forward as a senior member of the royal family, working hard on behalf of her charities and carving out her role as future Princess of Wales/Queen.

Most of the Royal Women of Windsor go through their very popular moments but in their own different way. Just like the late Queen Mother, the late Princess of Wales, The Queen, the late Princess Margaret, The Princess Royal, The Countess of Wessex and now The Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Courtier

I really don't think you can compare the two as they are both very different women. I guess only time will tell if Catherine will become as popular (or respected) as Diana. First she would have to learn how to behave as well as Diana did and express empathy like she did and what's most important, she would have to actually work as hard as Diana did. Before she does, she will only be seen as a slightly immature 30-year-old trying to pass as a princess. But that's my opinion.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I really don't think you can compare the two as they are both very different women. I guess only time will tell if Catherine will become as popular (or respected) as Diana. First she would have to learn how to behave as well as Diana did and express empathy like she did and what's most important, she would have to actually work as hard as Diana did. Before she does, she will only be seen as a slightly immature 30-year-old trying to pass as a princess. But that's my opinion.
As we've seen over the past couple of weeks, Kate has been faced with some of the not so nice pitfalls that comes with being a member of the BRF and to all of us watching her, she carried on and let negativity roll off her back like rain on a duck in a pond. Neither she nor William had any quotes about this matter that the press could attribute to them. I'm pretty sure that Kate is well aware of how Diana handled various incidents and as she may well very much admire and respect her mother in law, she also gains from Diana's experiences how NOT to act. (In this respect, how its better not to feed into the media and keep one's own counsel)

One other point is that looking back at Diana's popularity, it is really kind of a short blitz that ended tragically at a young age. Its the kind of stuff iconic legends are made of and a life snuffed out so young sometimes seems to add a aura of "sainthood" to the personage. Hopefully this is something that will be totally different with Kate. A lot of the short popularity that was Diana's was also because of not only her charisma and empathy in her dealings with people, but also because she allowed and courted the general public to glimpse inside of her personal life, her woes and insecurities and her inner battles.

Kate already has 10+ years in a relationship with a senior member of the BRF and to most of us, what we are witnessing now is the growth process of Kate learning and defining how she meshes into William's family's life. I think the real difference that we'll notice about Kate's popularity in the future is that it will be defined by her royal roles and by the monarchy rather than as a single personage in her own right.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Aristocracy

Diana's popularity is impossible, like most popularities - but hers in particular, to quantify and use as any sort of benchmark. She died tragically. She lived a tragic life. She is a tragic historical figure - a little like Mary Queen of Scots who has been endlessly romanticised to the point of absurdity and certainly to the point of distortion.

It's sort of a weird discourse, when you sit down to speak to it. A little like arguing with your sibling over who Mom loves better. How do you measure that?

Let's try an empirical approach:

caveat: based on all things remaining on the current trajectory.

1. Will Catherine be on more magazine and newspaper covers in her lifetime?

YES, likely. She will be in the BRF longer, one presumes. She will be a Duchess married to a VERY popular Duke. She will be a Princess married to a VERY popular Prince. She will be a Queen married to a VERY popular King. No contest.

2. Will Catherine do more charity work?

YES, likely - see above.

3. Will Catherine influence fashion more?

YES, likely - see above.

4. Will more people love Catherine for standing by her Prince than loved Diana for sticking it to hers?

YES, I believe so.

5. Will less people dislike or even hate her because she does something like the Panorama interview or admits to affairs?

YES, I believe so.

6. Will people find her as dreamy and romantic, as tragic and sad, and therefore lovable? Subtext: Will Catherine have as many fans?

NO, Diana wins this one.

7. Will Catherine revolutionize the Monarchy the way Diana, albeit in a tragic way, did?

YES, she's a commoner. She has already won. But further I believe both William and Catherine will the point at which Historians later say "this was the point at which the Monarchy had its most profound change and found a way to stay relevent." My opinion, of course - not much empirical here.

Edited to add

8. Will Catherine win the hearts of people everywhere when she becomes a mother and be as beloved as Diana for her indisputable love for her children?

YES. I am calling this one a tie. A slight edge to Catherine because I think they will be the first real royal family we will be familiar with and love as a unit.

Okay, I'm ready to vote: I say Catherine will be more popular than Diana.

YMMV
Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Serene Highness

Great comment and 'break down' of the facts regarding HRH and Diana

I wish I could post comments like that lol
Old 09-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Commoner

Probably not. From media coverage perspective, there is always a better story when there are problems in a relationship as opposed to when everything seems fine.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Majesty

Members of the royal family often take a little inspiration from the older royals and previous royals but they are all encouraged to follow their own path and carve out their own roles as they see fit. Princess Anne, Prince Edward, Charles and Andrew have mentioned these things in interviews they've done of the years.

The Duchess of Cambridge remarked in her engagement interview that the late Princess of Wales was an inspiration person to look up to and she said that she will take everything in her stride, work hard and try to make a difference in any way she can. I think that's just what she's doing. Her charitable patronages will grow, she will get more involved in different organizations and her royal role within the "Firm" will increase. It takes time, energy and hard work.

The Duchess of Cambridge is already a popular senior member of the royal family. When it's announced she will be visiting a certain part of the country or charity, the people and children come out in great numbers to just get a glimps of her. The media's coverage is a pretty big deal. We saw this when she embarked on her first solo engagements earlier this year.

Her popularity will grow as she grow but I don't think she's competing for the same popularity of her late mother-in-law. While Diana was here, she did what she had to do but now I'm just looking forward to seeing Catherine grow in her royal role as wife, future mother, future Princess of Wales and future Queen.

I think the trick is for the media and even royal watchers allow Catherine to grow and not try to compare her to the late Princess.

I think Diana would want the media and all her fans to let Catherine show you who she is and let her shine in her own right. Not expect the Duchess to be a mirror of who Diana was and what she did.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Majesty

Kate Middleton Diana: Arthur Edwards on why Duchess of Cambridge is the new Queen of Hearts | The Sun |Woman

I think this was a very nice article by Arthur Edwards. Nice tribute to HRH.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:44 AM
Serene Highness

How ridiculous, even the choice of pintures is so evidently trying hard to make them look the same. Diana was only one. The only one that gets close in people´s heart is her son Harry.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
How ridiculous, even the choice of pintures is so evidently trying hard to make them look the same. Diana was only one. The only one that gets close in people´s heart is her son Harry.
I personally (but as part of the aforementioned "people") prefer an Search & Rescue officer and his children cuddling wife any moment over a soldier in a deadly war. Plus I prefer a loving, supporting wife to a spiteful adulteress. I only wonder why I don't find it in me to state that my opinon is everybody's opinion....
Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I personally (but as part of the aforementioned "people") prefer an Search & Rescue officer and his children cuddling wife any moment over a soldier in a deadly war. Plus I prefer a loving, supporting wife to a spiteful adulteress. I only wonder why I don't find it in me to state that my opinon is everybody's opinion....
I really thought that article by Edwards was a good one and he was dead on about the similarities between Kate and the late Diana.

Regardless of the past, William and Harry both seem to have inherited the best qualities of both their parents. It also doesn't surprise me that Kate would exhibit similar qualities to Diana as those would be the qualities that William admired in his mother and wants to emulate and of course would look for those in a woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

The main point is we ended up with a win/win situation with William, Harry and Kate.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana
Then you clearly have no idea of the British or Commonwealth public, because they adore William and Catherine along with it.
Stating opinion as fact is dangerous, and you keep doing it.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Majesty

Like Arthur, I think everyone who are big fans of the royals missed having a young and beautiful princess around and embracing the people. The British haven't really seen and felt that since Diana was around. Now Catherine is on the scene and she's giving out those same qualities. Obviously she's her own woman and not the second Diana. I must agree with Arthur, Catherine really is doing a good job but she have a long road ahead of her and some challenges will be thrown her way. I think as long as she have the loving support of William, her family, royal family and the people, she will be okay.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana