The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I've often suspected that perhaps Diana is Catherine's template for what not to do.

Catherine mostly dresses very cautiously, to the point where people complain about her not wearing enough new clothes. (Yet when her expense list was published, they complained about the cost anyway).

Also, I feel she defers to William in a way that Diana never did to Charles. In short, I believe Catherine is focused on what the RF thinks, not on what the press or the public thinks.
I don't think she will become more popular than Diana, but I do think she will keep her marriage intact.
I think that's another big difference between the two women; Diana wanted to please everyone, while Catherine wants to do what's right for her as well as the establishment, which may very well involve deferring to her husband for certain things. Also, keeping one's marriage intact is a heck of a lot more important than pleasing every Tom, Dick and Harry in the press, as well as in general public. So many forget that once she's done with the public, she has to go home to her husband, and if it's not a happy home/marriage, things will be ugly in all other aspects of her life and work. Diana was overwhelmed by everything, and too eager to please everyone, not realizing that such is not possible by a long shot. She saw her life as a popularity contest of sorts (and based on her experience, I can understand why), however, Catherine appears to not really give a rat's @$$ if she's necessarily popular, and concentrates on the opinions of those that matter.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
[QUOTE=Mirabel;1457163]I've often suspected that perhaps Diana is Catherine's template for what not to do.

I think you've made a very good point here. Sadly it took one woman's PR mistakes to open eyes and realize just what was going wrong. Diana (with the help of the media) took the world by storm. Kate's popularity will be a gradual thing over time I think. She's gradually beginning to fit into the Royal Family scheme of things. She dresses conservatively, she's definitely not a publicity seeker, seems to have a warm relationship with all of her in-laws and she's just plain happy in her own skin being married to the love of her life.

Quote:
Also, I feel she defers to William in a way that Diana never did to Charles. In short, I believe Catherine is focused on what the RF thinks, not on what the press or the public thinks.
I don't think she will become more popular than Diana, but I do think she will keep her marriage intact.
Here is the big difference between Diana and Kate. I think at the beginning of Diana's marriage, she expected way more out of Charles than he could give. I can only blame that on the fact that Diana and Charles really didn't know each other when they decided to marry. With Kate being with William for so long first as a close friend then in a more serious relationship, she had time to observe and learn exactly what being married to him would entail. Wills and Kate both went into marriage with their eyes wide open and with no doubt of what would be expected of them and of each other. One of the key qualifications for a happy, long lasting marriage is having a best friend in your spouse. Wills and Kate have that where Diana and Charles did not.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 AM
Courtier

Kate will be more popular than Diana.

Diana will be forgotten, just a footnote in history.

Kate will be Queen.

Diana was a media sensation because she married into the BRF, not because of who she was or what she did. She became the focus because Charles had waited until he was 32 to get married. (32 might seem young but in the 70's they married around 25.)

There was a new person in the BRF so the attention shifted from the most popular royal (81 year old Queen Mum) to the newest.

She used the media, the media used her to sell magazine, etc.

The media played the good girl vs bad girl (Diana vs Sarah). When Sarah separated from Andrew they need a new bad girl (Camilla).

Diana's name will be lost in history. It is only those who were around when she was around who think she'll live on forever.

Kate actually receives more media coverage than Diana.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:32 AM
Serene Highness

Many people around the world do not know who KM is. Shes´anot doing anything to deserve the little attention she has, she does not sell magazines. She lacks charisma and empathy. She´s superficial. People don´t like that.

Diana was more popular than the entire RF, you like her or not. The RF had the less popularity rate when she died.

Diana was "used" by her husband.

I doubt KM will be queen. I even doubt Camilla will be queen. HM has a long way to go, if her health is good, she´ll be around for a decade more.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
The world loves Kate? For what reason?
Diana was very popular around the world, I agree, for various reasons. She was probably the most popular/famous woman in the world. But she was not only the wife of PC, she became an icon and a figure on her own. And she WORKED! Diana made engagements from the first moment she became a princess, and in her later years she became involved in several causes to which she drew attention, like the minefields, AIDS. I don´t see kate involved seriously in any cause other than her shopping and hair. It will take her years of hard work to be fairly compared to PD, and still she will lose because she lacks charisma.
Diana was on a yacht (Britannia), then at a castle (Balmoral). Exactly what work did she do while on her honeymoon that lasted several months.

Charles was a full time working royal. His wife accompanied him. William is a full time search and rescue officer, his wife accompanies him when he performs royal duties.

Charles duties while in the Navy was sweeping for landmines. Lets not forget that.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post

Many people around the world do not know who KM is.
What? I mean, I disagree with your other arguments on their merit, but this one is just factually dishonest.

That wedding was viewed throughout the world by many, many people. I think most people know who Kate is.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla

Diana will be forgotten, just a footnote in history.

Kate actually receives more media coverage than Diana.
Diana, one day will be a footnote in a history book along with Catherine, Camilla, The Queen and every other royal. But it'll be a big footnote. Depending on what Catherine does with the rest of her royal life her popularity might increase but since her marriage she shows no sign of changing her character. Catherine is the perfect girl for the RF, which after the disasters of the 90's that's what they need. Catherine probably does receive more coverage simply because there is more around than in Diana's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana

Diana was more popular than the entire RF, you like her or not. The RF had the less popularity rate when she died.

Diana was "used" by her husband.

I doubt KM will be queen. I even doubt Camilla will be queen. HM has a long way to go, if her health is good, she´ll be around for a decade more.
I don't see how you can honestly believe that Camilla and Catherine won't be Queen's when that's the progression of royalty. HM passes, Camilla becomes Queen, Charles passes, Catherine becomes Queen. There is no mood in the country to suggest anything but that happening.

Diana was a showgirl who wanted attention and never cared how she got it. She used people, not the other way around. The best thing Charles did was divorce her before she caused more damage.

The opinion of 'Queen Camilla' is typical, it obvious for someone with a username like that. Diana seemed to be a wonderful person, who wanted a fairy tale and never got one. So she made the best of her life, sometimes in the wrong way, and started to shine. When she fell from grace she forgot a lot of people from what I've read. She was never one to understand the family she married into whereas Catherine does. Comparing these two is like comparing an apple with a tv, you just can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione

What? I mean, I disagree with your other arguments on their merit, but this one is just factually dishonest.

That wedding was viewed throughout the world by many, many people. I think most people know who Kate is.
There are 7 billion people in the world, not all have TV or Internet or even care about the BRF. There will be people in the world who do not know who Catherine is.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

The day after the royal wedding, 87% of the world's newspapers had William and Kate on their front page. I think it's fair to say that most people, certainly in the developed world, know who Kate is. Of course there will be some who don't. My parents don't know who Lady Gaga is, but that doesn't mean that she's not enormously well known.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Did 87% of the worlds population read those newspapers? Somehow I doubt it. You can't be known everywhere. Not that she's done anything to be known for.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR

The day after the royal wedding, 87% of the world's newspapers had William and Kate on their front page. I think it's fair to say that most people, certainly in the developed world, know who Kate is. Of course there will be some who don't. My parents don't know who Lady Gaga is, but that doesn't mean that she's not enormously well known.
My thoughts exactly. Arguing otherwise seems a bit silly to me.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
My thoughts exactly. Arguing otherwise seems a bit silly to me.
Plus, Kate's actually been mentioned in lots of popular culture. She's been name checked in Glee, Family Guy, Gossip Girl among many others.

The Canadian tour was covered by almost 1,400 accredited journalists, with only about 100 of those from the UK. Reporters came from, among others, India, China and Japan, who together make up almost 40% of the world's population.

Most people probably aren't interested in Kate, or the BRF more generally, but it would be disingenuous to suggest that they don't know who they are.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate is more accessible than Diana, though she is the fairytale, a commoner marrying a prince, there is no mystery and no one really cares other than we all wish her well.
She will hopefully chose to live a private personal family life and there will be no drama nor great popularity.
Diana as I understand from something India Hicks said in an interview was very preoccupied with how she looked in the media and if Kate is too, it is not working. I think India Hicks said that when she was a bridesmaid Diana was glued to the tv looking at reports about her and did not want to be bothered by anyone.
I do not think that Kate will be more loved than Diana but then nobody wishes Kate to have such a dramatic life.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Courtier

Hopefully the Duchess of Cambridge will live a long and productive life, without any undue drama. Popular, we won"t know for a long time. We shall see.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I've often suspected that perhaps Diana is Catherine's template for what not to do.

Catherine mostly dresses very cautiously, to the point where people complain about her not wearing enough new clothes. (Yet when her expense list was published, they complained about the cost anyway).

I believe Catherine has the best advisor at her side when it comes to omit Diana's faults and do the things which made Diana dear to the people. Nobody knows better than William, I guess and the fact that he proposed to and married her tells me she is good at that.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

Popularity is a fleeting thing. Princess Margaret was popular in the 50s, Fergie was popular right after her marriage. Lady gaga is popular now but in 20 years -probably not. Down the line, Kate doesn't need to be popular (which she is now) but respected.

Kate and Diana are totally opposite people. Kate is the product of a happy family life, a university graduate, who is the same age and has many of the same interest as her husband.

Diana is the product of a broken home, not highly educated, married at a very young age to an older man that she has nothing in common with.

Kate job is to support her husband like the Queen Mum or Prince Phillip does with the Queen.

I do think that she and William will try to bring up their children as normal as possible when the children are royals.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Aristocracy

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq...2sh9o1_500.jpg
from a year ago
but i wonder how henry viii tops kate
Old 09-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Serene Highness

If we're speaking of published and academic history, it is likely that Henry VIII and Elizabeth I will be more written about than certain other royals.

But when I walk into a classroom of 18-20 year olds and show them pictures of people from the last century, nearly all can identify Diana. About half can identify Kate (or Will). Less than 20% can identify Camilla. All can identify Elvis, John Lennon and Paul McCartney. All can identify Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez (this is in California).

It's unlikely they'll forget either Elvis or Princess Diana. If they ever learn who Kate is, perhaps they will remember her...
Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unless you are a serious royal watcher or Brittish, the chances are you know Catherine because she is married to Diana's son. Diana hold a unique place in royal history due to circumstances unique to her. The royal world had waited for quite some time for the heir to the Brittish throne to marry. He finally found a young, shy and pretty bride and had a wedding like no other royal wedding. Their marital problems may have been the responsibility of both of them but let's not forget the role Camilla played. Diana also put a face to AIDS. Her sitting by the bed of an AIDS patient and holding his hand during the time when people thought the illness could be transmitted just by touching made a huge difference. Let's not forget that some hospital staff suited up in similar to haz mat gear to be around AIDS patients. The very tragic death of Diana and her funeral, especially with her two young sons walking behind the casket are unforgettable. The by then public relationship between Charles and Camilla was to many very troubling and unforgivable at the time.

Let's pray that Cathering will be spared the marital problems and an untimely death. She will be popular in the way celebraties are until she has accomplished something meaningful. Until then she will be another princess with lots of fabulous clothes and a tiara or two to wear.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Serene Highness

I think that's very true, Grevinnan.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Unless you are a serious royal watcher or Brittish, the chances are you know Catherine because she is married to Diana's son. Diana hold a unique place in royal history due to circumstances uniq
I tend to agree. My mother has no interest in any aspect of royalty at all. However, recently she asked me about the girl who married Diana's son (direct translation here). She actually knew her name too - Kate Middleton (although Duchess of Cambridge told her nothing).

Most people here (in Armenia or Russia) who are older than me and thus contemporaries of Diana do remember her very well, but have pretty vague idea about any other royal with the exception of the Queen. Charles, Camilla and Harry are fairly well-known too - but again, not least because of Diana.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana