The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
My wish is that Diana is remembered by those that admire her and that Catherine is allowed to live her own life with William without people bringing Diana back to haunt them both.
Agreed. They're two different women, and Catherine should be allowed to make her own mark upon the world without any comparisons to anyone, not just the late Princess Diana.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
I don't know if Kate will become more popular than Diana but the world loves them both they are/ were such down to earth ladies, Kate is followed for her fashion. Just as much as di was during her days but maybe Kate is just following in diana's footsteps but I guess with her own touch. I love and admire them both.
:: flowers ::

The world loves Kate? For what reason?
Diana was very popular around the world, I agree, for various reasons. She was probably the most popular/famous woman in the world. But she was not only the wife of PC, she became an icon and a figure on her own. And she WORKED! Diana made engagements from the first moment she became a princess, and in her later years she became involved in several causes to which she drew attention, like the minefields, AIDS. I donīt see kate involved seriously in any cause other than her shopping and hair. It will take her years of hard work to be fairly compared to PD, and still she will lose because she lacks charisma.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:55 AM
Aristocracy

Just because your not a fan of Catherine doesn't mean other ppl are not allowed to love her.

She would be doing the same amount of work as Diana if William was 2nd in line and his Father was King. But Charles isn't and Prince William atm is not a full-time working royal himself. So lets cut the comparisons with Diana shall we. She didn't marry a grandson of the monarchy did she?

Lets also note that because of Diana's less than perfect marriage to Prince Charles Buckingham Palace seems to be taking a much different approach to her schedule.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana

The world loves Kate? For what reason?
Diana was very popular around the world, I agree, for various reasons. She was probably the most popular/famous woman in the world. But she was not only the wife of PC, she became an icon and a figure on her own. And she WORKED! Diana made engagements from the first moment she became a princess, and in her later years she became involved in several causes to which she drew attention, like the minefields, AIDS. I donīt see kate involved seriously in any cause other than her shopping and hair. It will take her years of hard work to be fairly compared to PD, and still she will lose because she lacks charisma.
I can't speak for the world, but I can certainly speak for my own sentiments regarding Catherine. She's liked for her ease around people, especially children. Have you ever noticed how happy and comfortable they are in her company and she in theirs? She's hands-on when she's interacting with them, and the certainly feel that she's genuine (if she wasn't, they'd avoid her, since kids are the best judges of character). Catherine may be a royal, but she keeps herself as down-to-earth as she can, hence why we see her shopping, etc. As I have said previously, just because we don't see her running around like a chicken with her head cut off from one event to the next on daily basis, doesn't mean she doesn't do work behind the scenes. As for the lack of charisma, that couldn't be farther from the truth. All those that meet her are charmed. That cannot be faked. And if you're still in doubt, again, take a good look at how she is with kids. To me, that says it all. As for the popularity, I feel that she won't be as sensational, if you will as the late Princess was, and that's great. She'll do what needs to be done, and support her husband and the Royal Family. You can tell she's no attention seeker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenei
Just because your not a fan of Catherine doesn't mean other ppl are not allowed to love her.

She would be doing the same amount of work as Diana if William was 2nd in line and his Father was King. But Charles isn't and Prince William atm is not a full-time working royal himself. So lets cut the comparisons with Diana shall we. She didn't marry a grandson of the monarchy did she?

Lets also note that because of Diana's less than perfect marriage to Prince Charles Buckingham Palace seems to be taking a much different approach to her schedule.
Indeed!

Old 08-31-2012, 02:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Rubbish! Diana actually got quite a lot of help and guidance from the palace. (the Diana victim version is she didn't, that's not the truth) She might not have had guidance over a wedding dress but then Kate's was entirely her choice as well!

Lady Susan Hussay was assigned to Diana to help her with palace protocol. The Buckingham Palace press secretary Michael O'Shea later wrote about how Diana was coached by the press office, even to the extent that she anonymously manned the phones and answered queries. She
was given press briefings and they practised her early speeches with her.

Diana was given an adviser ( name escapes me) whose help she ignored, famously tossing aside a book on previous princesses of wales, she was given.

The Palace organized for her to meet with stylists from Vogue to help with selecting her wardrobe.

Diana had a dresser Evelyn who even went on her honeymoon cruise, she was given a lot of help.
Kate has more less navigated her own way through, she doesn't have a stylist or a dresser, her
advisors are William's and Harry's team and she wasn't given a ladyinwaiting to help with
protocol.

By Diana's own calculations she had 13 not 5 dates with Charles. ( Streeton tapes) not a lot but she was given time to think over Charles's proposal. He proposed early February, she went to Australia with her mother for 3 weeks, she returned after 2 weeks and said yes. The engagement was announced Feb 24th. For her own reasons Diana was determined to marry Charles, she could have said no, she was given time to consider it (probably had her mother counsel against it since she married young to a man a lot older than her) and still said yes.
To answer the question will she become more popular? Different era, different women, Kate is better at 'disappearing' between engagements. The press don't like that, Diana arrived at the time that Rupert Murdock bought into the UK papers and he needed a media 'star' and he was able to do that with Diana. Kate era is one of the 24hour news cycle, and she ( and William in particular) seem to be determined to claw back some of those hours as private ones. This doesn't sit well with journalists covering the royals ( what will they write about!?) so they aren't going to champion her the way they did Diana. (plus Diana was a goldmine for them as she fed them stories, so even more favorable press coverage)

I wonder how many of US, at 19, and believing ourselves to be in love with the person of our dreams, would heed the words of those older and wiser. Other than both being female, any possible comparison berween Diana and Kate ends there.
We may all dream of being swept off our feet by a whirlwind, and with a mere 13 meetings, that's what she may have imagined it was, romance, but if the time spent together during those meetings is condensed into days, she probably had less than 6 full days to make a decision that would effect the rest of her life. A decision she wasn't emotionally equipped to make. Decidedly unacademic, she'd lived in that tight cocoon typical of other young women of her class, dabbling at odd, low paid jobs or becoming involved in worthy causes until such time as they are chosen by Lord Right. Kate had the benefit of being grounded in a different world, was educated, was academic, courted William from the same environment as their fellow students, was nearly 10 years older, chronologically, than Diana and emotionally had never been in the same place as Diana.

My last thoughts on this are that whilst Kate came from a loving, stable home and had seen a happy marriage demonstrated throughout her childhood, therefore having no need of a parent substitute, Diana had never known what that was and was looking for a partner who would make everything perfect. She never learned that such a person doesn't exist.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I can't speak for the world, but I can certainly speak for my own sentiments regarding Catherine. She's liked for her ease around people, especially children. Have you ever noticed how happy and comfortable they are in her company and she in theirs? She's hands-on when she's interacting with them, and the certainly feel that she's genuine (if she wasn't, they'd avoid her, since kids are the best judges of character). Catherine may be a royal, but she keeps herself as down-to-earth as she can, hence why we see her shopping, etc. As I have said previously, just because we don't see her running around like a chicken with her head cut off from one event to the next on daily basis, doesn't mean she doesn't do work behind the scenes. As for the lack of charisma, that couldn't be farther from the truth. All those that meet her are charmed. That cannot be faked. And if you're still in doubt, again, take a good look at how she is with kids. To me, that says it all. As for the popularity, I feel that she won't be as sensational, if you will as the late Princess was, and that's great. She'll do what needs to be done, and support her husband and the Royal Family. You can tell she's no attention seeker.

I donīt agree in any of your points. It is amazing how we can deduce the opposite only by seeing pictures of her isnīt it?
To me she has a label in her forehead that reads "where is the camera".

Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Attends A Reception At The
Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

The photographer is standing right in front of Kate in the direction she's walking. Where do you expect her to be looking? When photographers are taking pictures from all angles, the odd one is going to catch Kate looking straight at them.

Your point is utterly incorrect, though, because more than one royal correspondent has stated that the photographers at the events Kate attends have become frustrated with her refusal to pose for them. They struggle to get the shots they want much of the time.

Richard Palmer, Daily Express royal correspondent, in February this year:

Quote:
I don't suppose it will worry her yet but royal photographers are getting fed up with Kate's refusal to even turn her head for the cameras.
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...22781813157888
Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:

I donīt agree in any of your points. It is amazing how we can deduce the opposite only by seeing pictures of her isnīt it?
To me she has a label in her forehead that reads "where is the camera".

Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Attends A Reception At The
There's no need for agreement. I'm just stating my perceptions, as you are yours. However, I also think you're being a bit harsh, but that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR

The photographer is standing right in front of Kate in the direction she's walking. Where do you expect her to be looking? When photographers are taking pictures from all angles, the odd one is going to catch Kate looking straight at them.

Your point is utterly incorrect, though, because more than one royal correspondent has stated that the photographers at the events Kate attends have become frustrated with her refusal to pose for them. They struggle to get the shots they want much of the time.

Diana had a tendency to seek the press out, and then get upset over being intruded upon, and Catherine is the complete opposite, in the sense that she doesn't go out of her way to have her pictures in the press. Yes, in the picture that was provided, the photographer is right in front of her, so she kinda needs to look at him. I like Mr. Palmer's assessment; it must be frustrating for the photographers that they can't grasp the attention of their prized subject, if you will. You'd think

Old 08-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Courtier

I like Catherine more than I liked Diana, but I don't think she will be as popular as Diana was. I was about Diana's age when she was introduced to the world and she knew how to draw people in. She seemed so shy that most people wanted to take care of her. Diana learned to court the media at a time when the celebrity culture was just taking off. People magazine launched in 1979, just two years before the big wedding. They needed stars and Diana was obviously a star.

But the media was promoting an image. Diana make a lot of appearances for charity, but her work is overstated. Princess Anne made far more appearances for charity and the monarchy. Prince Charles made appearances, but also worked behind the scenes for less popular causes, like people overcoming addictions or who had been in trouble with the law.

Diana cut back on her appearances in the years before her tragic death. But, I will say, that when she did appear, she made an impact--which is what she wanted. She certainly cared about her charities, but she also used them to get into headlines. there is nothing "wrong" with that, it was a win-win.

Catherine on the other hand does not seem to have aspired to marry into the royal family. Her marriage is based on friendship and common interests, unlike Diana's. I don't think Catherine will ever be the cover girl that Diana was, but it doesn't matter. She is a very lovely woman and obviously makes William happy. Diana would have wanted that.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post

My points will always be incorrect for you, which is a little pretentious from you. At least we are seeing the same histerical grinning and looking at the cameras in every event, arenīt we. For me, that is to be paying to much attention to being photographed. The body language and the way she dresses up for every event (even the ones where one is supposed to be more relaxed like the Olympics), with tones of make-up, and the heavy ring, the curls, for me it cries "Iīm Here, take nice pictures!!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post

Catherine on the other hand does not seem to have aspired to marry into the royal family.
Iīm speechless.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:

My points will always be incorrect for you, which is a little pretentious from you. At least we are seeing the same histerical grinning and looking at the cameras in every event, arenīt we. For me, that is to be paying to much attention to being photographed. The body language and the way she dresses up for every event (even the ones where one is supposed to be more relaxed like the Olympics), with tones of make-up, and the heavy ring, the curls, for me it cries "Iīm Here, take nice pictures!!
Just...wow. Poor soul can't win, but maybe that will help her deal with the media frenzy.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
Iīm speechless.
As am I, but probably not for the reasons you want. You've already made up your mind about Kate and have decided not to see anything good about her. Got it.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Cut the girl some slack. She knows she will be photographed heavily and every piece of her outfit and looks will be judged. (in which I gladly participate, no shame) You would be dressed to a tee aswell. I know I would.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
If the photographers are unhappy because Kate won't give them what they want (i.e. for her to pose for them), I don't see how you can possibly say that Kate goes out of her way to be photographed.

At the Olympics we've mainly seen Kate in the Team GB kit, exactly the same as what every other woman in the British team, and lots of the British public, have worn. She wears jeans, polo shirt and trainers. How much more casual do you want her to be? Would you prefer it if she turned up in her pyjamas?

Why should Kate not wear her engagement ring? My mum's worn hers every day of her life, why shouldn't Kate? She hasn't done anything special with her hair, apart from wearing it in a ponytail on several occasions. How could she be more casual for you? Would you prefer she went a few days without washing her hair just to please you? Or maybe she could just not brush it before she comes out?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
As am I, but probably not for the reasons you want. You've already made up your mind about Kate and have decided not to see anything good about her. Got it.
That puts Catherine in company with a certain Princess in Monaco who has also earned the ire of the same individual since she first appeared on the scene.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Would you prefer it if she turned up in her pyjamas?
Or she could do a Harry.

Back to the topic of this thread, no, I don't think Kate will ever be as popular as Diana.

When Diana came into the picture, there were few true superstars, so she filled the void. She was also a 19-year-old girl who looked to vulnerable and shy you instinctively wanted to protect, take care of her. Diana's unfortunate personal life, her very public struggles, courting with the press - all that contributed to a creation of an icon that, whether we like it or not, is still strong despite Diana being dead for 15 years now.

Kate is a mature 30-year-old and had a very different path to Diana. In a way, she is as different from Diana as possible. Character-wise, she's more like Camilla - not just a wife but also a confidant, a friend and an ally for William.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow this is starting to feel like Diana vs. Kate, who do you like more or who is prettier? It's like comparing apples to oranges. Two very different fruits, different taste, color, and texture. These women are two different people.
I will always adore and respect Diana. As for Kate she seems like a nice person and is pretty but I'm not really interested in her and it's way too early to say if I like her more than someone else... Time will only tell.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Aristocracy

that is a very good comment sirhon11234
they are very different but i still like them both
Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've often suspected that perhaps Diana is Catherine's template for what not to do.

Catherine mostly dresses very cautiously, to the point where people complain about her not wearing enough new clothes. (Yet when her expense list was published, they complained about the cost anyway).

Also, I feel she defers to William in a way that Diana never did to Charles. In short, I believe Catherine is focused on what the RF thinks, not on what the press or the public thinks.
I don't think she will become more popular than Diana, but I do think she will keep her marriage intact.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana