The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Aristocracy

that is very clever of her i hope some day they are released

Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness

I think Diana was an innocent young woman who didnt know right from left. She had to grow up fast at which time she came into her own. People loved her and I think felt sorry for her and gave her the attention she so craved. Catherine on the other hand has lived and has experienced things in life that Diana never did. Catherine knew what she was getting into and didnt require anyone to hold her hand. She had the time to adjust. She was already her own woman and didnt or doesnt need the attention from people in order to feel loved. Catherine is popular because she is who she is and Diana became popular I think because she was the innocent girl who was vulnerable. I think Catherine will be more popular and admired than Diana was. I love Diana but I think Catherine will be a huge influence in the years to come. Just my opinion. :)

Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Diana said she received no guidance from the palace. This is corroborated by the Emanuels re: the wedding dress...that there was zero input from BRF.Also, Diana had in fact only been on 5 'dates' with Charles before he proposed, as opposed to having been together for a decade.
Rubbish! Diana actually got quite a lot of help and guidance from the palace. (the Diana victim version is she didn't, that's not the truth) She might not have had guidance over a wedding dress but then Kate's was entirely her choice as well!

Lady Susan Hussay was assigned to Diana to help her with palace protocol. The Buckingham Palace press secretary Michael O'Shea later wrote about how Diana was coached by the press office, even to the extent that she anonymously manned the phones and answered queries. She
was given press briefings and they practised her early speeches with her.

Diana was given an adviser ( name escapes me) whose help she ignored, famously tossing aside a book on previous princesses of wales, she was given.

The Palace organized for her to meet with stylists from Vogue to help with selecting her wardrobe.

Diana had a dresser Evelyn who even went on her honeymoon cruise, she was given a lot of help.
Kate has more less navigated her own way through, she doesn't have a stylist or a dresser, her
advisors are William's and Harry's team and she wasn't given a ladyinwaiting to help with
protocol.

By Diana's own calculations she had 13 not 5 dates with Charles. ( Streeton tapes) not a lot but she was given time to think over Charles's proposal. He proposed early February, she went to Australia with her mother for 3 weeks, she returned after 2 weeks and said yes. The engagement was announced Feb 24th. For her own reasons Diana was determined to marry Charles, she could have said no, she was given time to consider it (probably had her mother counsel against it since she married young to a man a lot older than her) and still said yes.
To answer the question will she become more popular? Different era, different women, Kate is better at 'disappearing' between engagements. The press don't like that, Diana arrived at the time that Rupert Murdock bought into the UK papers and he needed a media 'star' and he was able to do that with Diana. Kate era is one of the 24hour news cycle, and she ( and William in particular) seem to be determined to claw back some of those hours as private ones. This doesn't sit well with journalists covering the royals ( what will they write about!?) so they aren't going to champion her the way they did Diana. (plus Diana was a goldmine for them as she fed them stories, so even more favorable press coverage)
Old 07-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Serene Highness

The courtship of Princess Diana and Prince Charles was a very short one. Kate and Prince William had a very long courtship which was 8 years. By the time Kate and Prince William were married, they pretty much knew what they were getting into or for the most part knew each other's likes, dislikes, their quirks, etc. I really wonder how much Prince Charles and Princess Diana knew about each other. I doubt they knew as much about these things as Kate and Prince William did.

Another thing that was different is that Prince William met Kate, fell in love and got married. Kate wasn't picked out for him. They chose each other. This is a big difference than a small group of women are suitable, pick one of them out which is what Prince Charles faced. Love was not even part of the deal.

If you were dating or involved with someone for 8 years, it would be difficult for someone to hide things about themselves. By that time you are comfortable enough to let you're hair down to speak with this other person.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Diana said she received no guidance from the palace. This is corroborated by the Emanuels re: the wedding dress...that there was zero input from BRF.Also, Diana had in fact only been on 5 'dates' with Charles before he proposed, as opposed to having been together for a decade.
I recall when she was engaged, some courtier gave her a book on Queen Mary to read, thinking to be helpful, and then when the courtier left, Diana threw the book away saying to her friend, 'I'm not reading that'. If that's true, then it seems to me that helping Diana may not have been easy.

I don't think we'll see Kate achieve the popularity of Diana. For all her faults, Diana had charisma and I don't believe Kate has that to that degree, though i think she's a lovely girl. The media are certainly working hard to try to get Kate to achieve Diana's popularity, but of course they're in it for themselves. It's a different day and a different age and there's less respect for the Royal family.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
From the moment the press discovered Charles' interest in Diana, she was pushed into the middle of a very large circle with all focus centered directly on her and for the most part, on her alone. To an extent, Charles and the BRF were the backdrop of the panorama that became Diana mania. I've often read that Diana followed her press coverage diligently and it was in reading this that it hit home how much she needed the attention and approval of others and to me it seemed that it was this kind of attention and approval that she wished she had from her husband and his family. In normal relationships its working and growing together as a team that makes it successful and that's hard to do when one aims to live on a pedestal.

Kate also had been the focus of the media as William's girlfriend once they both left university. Those years together at St. Andrew's in relative privacy gave them the chance to form first a healthy friendship which developed into a deeper relationship. Once they were fair game for the press, it was the both of them in the circle. Will and Kate go skiing, Kate attends Wills' passing out. Will and Kate split up. Will and Kate back together again etc. At the time of their marriage in 2011 they were perhaps the most iconic couple in the world and since then have pretty much remained so.

The difference between the two women is that one was in the center of the circle on her own where everything circled around her and her life where as the other is gradually meshing into the circle that is the BRF.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it's also important to define what 'popular' means. I think, more than saying Diana was hugely popular, it's more accurate to say that she tended to evoke strong emotions in people both positive and negative. People read newspaper stories about her and watched the interviews she gave, mostly because the whole scenario was so interesting. There was so much drama and scandal and he said/she said going on that it was like a real life soap opera being played out for the masses.

I hope the royals never get into that sort of situation again.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I think it's also important to define what 'popular' means. I think, more than saying Diana was hugely popular, it's more accurate to say that she tended to evoke strong emotions in people both positive and negative. People read newspaper stories about her and watched the interviews she gave, mostly because the whole scenario was so interesting. There was so much drama and scandal and he said/she said going on that it was like a real life soap opera being played out for the masses.

I hope the royals never get into that sort of situation again.
Totally agree. You've said it well. People were amazed - and for myself, cringing - as the story unfolded. It was excruciating watching all that personal stuff tumble out. The tabloids were voracious - thrilling to the ker-ching of the cash registers. Money flowed as the headlines blared. What a time.

Just struck me how much the 1990's were a decade of that kind of scandal and soap opera. I am thinking of all the stuff that swirled around Bill Clinton and the Monica Lewinsky affair. That, too, had personal details being made public that should never have been. Nasty.

I wonder what was going on astrologically.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Royal Highness

Excellent posts both of you. That was an ugly time in both nations and the media did their best to fuel the fire leaving a nasty trail of destruction. Those closest to these couples were the casualties.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Let's stay on topic...the purpose of this thread isn't to rehash the Charles and Diana marriage but whether or not Catherine will be more popular that Diana.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think Kate will ever be as "popular" as Diana. She is simply not what the press and Diana herself made Diana out to be; larger than life. A lot of people want that larger than life, celebrity to read about. They are not interested in celebrating someone "ordinary."

Nor do I think Kate has any interest in being larger than life like Diana. Being larger than life is not good for a martial relationship, relationships with others and for the person themselves. It is really shocking to think that Kate is already almost the same age as Diana when she died - Kate's 30 to Diana's 36.

So while Kate will never be as "popular," i.e., able to sell as many magazines as Diana, I don't see such popularity as a virtue. I think there is more virtue in being an ordinary person who does not do things in her private life that would interest the media much.

Besides, William lived through the primary woman in his life being the most photographed and written about woman in the world. I'll go out on a limb and say that he does not care to repeat those days with the new primary woman in his life.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Courtier

I doubt there will ever be another person who will command the level of public attention Diana did. I don't think that level of intense fame and attention is possible given today's media climate. Diana lived in the pre - internet age, and she also lived in a time in which there were fewer traditional media outlets. Compare the 1980s to today - we have a huge number of television stations and entertainment programs, newspapers, magazines, in addition to thousands of internet entertainment sites, blogs, chat groups, etc. IMO, no single person, (including Diana), could ever saturate all those media outlets on a long term basis.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
I don't think Kate will ever be as "popular" as Diana. She is simply not what the press and Diana herself made Diana out to be; larger than life. A lot of people want that larger than life, celebrity to read about. They are not interested in celebrating someone "ordinary."

Nor do I think Kate has any interest in being larger than life like Diana. Being larger than life is not good for a martial relationship, relationships with others and for the person themselves. It is really shocking to think that Kate is already almost the same age as Diana when she died - Kate's 30 to Diana's 36.

So while Kate will never be as "popular," i.e., able to sell as many magazines as Diana, I don't see such popularity as a virtue. I think there is more virtue in being an ordinary person who does not do things in her private life that would interest the media much.

Besides, William lived through the primary woman in his life being the most photographed and written about woman in the world. I'll go out on a limb and say that he does not care to repeat those days with the new primary woman in his life.
I agree 100%
Thou many-headed monster-thing, O who would wish to be thy king?--
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post

Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Commoner

I feel she will be as famous because she has already become the lady of many people's hearts. She's such a darling!!! <3
Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Excellent post, Princess Peach. I totally agree with what you said.

For me, Kate has already become far more popular than Diana. Of the two women, I like and admire her much more than Diana. As for the superficial qualities, she is equally photogenic and in my opinion she is far more beautiful. Will she attract the same attention from the press and public that Diana did? No, and that's a good thing.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Serene Highness

I don't know if Kate will become more popular than Diana but the world loves them both they are/ were such down to earth ladies, Kate is followed for her fashion. Just as much as di was during her days but maybe Kate is just following in diana's footsteps but I guess with her own touch. I love and admire them both.
:: flowers ::
Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana was also a much harder worker than Catherine seems to be, much as I like her too. Diana, despite being immediately pregnant was a work horse on engagements her entire marriage. I hope that we see more of W and K now that the D of E is having health issues.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
I don't know if Kate will become more popular than Diana but the world loves them both they are/ were such down to earth ladies, Kate is followed for her fashion. Just as much as di was during her days but maybe Kate is just following in diana's footsteps but I guess with her own touch. I love and admire them both.
:: flowers ::
LOL, I am admitting to my age today by this response. I truly don't think anyone who did not live through it can really grasp how much Diana impacted fashion during her early Royal "career", which IMHO, was also the height of her popularity pre-War of the Waleses. From a decade plus of meringue wedding dresses, to puffy sleeves, pearl chokers (in all price ranges), to low kitten heeled shoes and of course, the famous haircut and pie-crust "Laura Ashley" type necklines - we wore them all, ages twelve and up! To me, however, it was the return of formal hats as fashionable for the young that really spoke of the extent of her popularity. I don't remember the rules of posting pics here, but every Dianaphile will remember this suit; she wore it often. It was burgundy velvet, high street by Jaegar, and was originally worn on the third day of the October 81 Welsh tour. 99% of the "Diana Look" is there: velvet, frilled collar, pearl choker and earrings, puffed sleeves, romantic detailing on the jacket, a slightly full, longish skirt, a clutch bag (another style Diana brought back), elegant Charles Jourdan court shoes - all topped off by the most gorgeous small, veiled hat (very similar to her "going away" cantaloupe hat), complete with sweeping ostrich feather. Her influence spread as far as Japan, as was duly noted by Robert Lacey in the television production filmed to accompany his "Princess" book. (Who else could have brought seamed stockings back for daytime?)

An entire generation of women looked up to the Princess for inspiration and many copied her every move, within their own price range, of course!

Fashion-wise, Kate's wedding gown, while infinitely pretty (and not wrinkled!) has not become iconographic in the least. The copies did not move, although copies of Pippa's did.

I do think Kate has an important following in fashion, and I am glad to see her conservative dressing become more popular. I particularly like to see her patronize British designers and give the British fashion industry some lift in these hard economic times. (I don't know why everyone seems to think everything Diana wore was couture, when she also frequently wore ready-to-wear. The Jaegar suit, for example.)

So, for those of us ladies who lived through the years of Diana's initial impact on our daily wardrobes, I don't think there's even a question as to which lady had more popularity, fashion-wise. I also agree with Scooter that Diana's work ethic at age twenty and while pregnant makes a difference in the overall popularity stakes. But they are not in the same position, at all; Diana was never the wife of a full-time serving Officer while Kate has not yet been the wife of a full-time working Royal. Until William does become a full time working Royal with Kate doing the same, I don't think we'll see the true potential of how popular Kate could be. As her self-confidence improves and her charity work grows, evolves and we get to know what issues are really close to her heart - all these factors and more will determine the extent of her popularity.

But at the bottom line, I believe a lady with Diana's star-power and charisma only come around a few times a century. So my guess is that Diana will forever hold an edge in the popularity stakes. JMHO, of course - plus I don't think Kate or William would want her to attain Diana-mania type popularity. William knows all too well the price his Mum paid for it. So perhaps it's a moot point?

(Apologies for my poor English - I know this was a long post and hope it came out "clearly"!)
Old 08-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

My wish is that Diana is remembered by those that admire her and that Catherine is allowed to live her own life with William without people bringing Diana back to haunt them both.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana