The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn't call it an insult, but I think it's a pointless comparison.

What work did Diana do, other than babysitting? Of course, she was very young when she married, but still, if you're talking work history, Diana really didn't do much before she was married.

I think Kate will be popular enough to suit her...and the RF.
Diana's level of popularity really didn't do her a lot of good.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=EIIR;1373251]I hope she doesn't become another Diana - one was quite enough thank you very much.

QUOTE]

Could not agree more. Not sure the monachy could survive Diana Part II.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

So let me get this straight, Diana's one job a a teacher to former toddlers is a good enough job, but Kate's job at a department store isn't good enough and instead she I just viewed as a woman who instead has never had a job? Wow, I guess I have to scratch my department store work off my resume.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't think that whatever these two women did before marriage has any real bearing on how well they comport themselves as consorts to their royal husbands.

They both were/will be extensively in the media limelight where every little minute detail will be hashed out, picked apart and exaggerated to the nth degree in order to sell stories. One difference I do hope for though is that with William and Kate, their private lives and ups and downs will remain out of the public glare.

There is a lot about Diana that would serve Kate well to use as a role model but she's a confident enough of a woman to know that she needs to be only one thing.. herself. As Diana has been dead since 1997 and who she was is basically forever etched in stone, I would think that Kate's best example for her future role is the Queen Also, the Diana effect lasted just a short time compared to the years ahead for Kate. Where as Diana was a sudden media blitz, we'll be able to watch Kate and William grow into their roles over a much longer period of time.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Nobility

You know, I finally got to watch the wedding of Charles and Diana in full for the first time only a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed how much they talk about her, show her on camera etc. When they were walking back up the aisle, the camera focused ONLY on Diana for nearly that whole time! William and Kates wedding was very much about the two of them. I don't think she will be as popular as Diana, because she simply doesn't have the charisma and charm.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm new to this thread and I was drawn to the original question posed because how would the popularity be measured?

They are very different women; the courtship was different; their roles when entering the royal family is completely different, ie full-time vs part-time. Would we judge them because of decisions made by others, ie Diana becoming a full-time royal immediately because everyone agreed that's "what one did" and Catherine being part time because William wants that? Do we wait until Catherine is full-time and compare them then? Diana lived in a glamour age and didn't have to count the cost, and Catherine definitely doesn't. What other measures are there?

And, sadly, Diana is held in a moment of time by her death at such a young age.

Or do we just say different times, different people, and stop the comparisons?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
So let me get this straight, Diana's one job a a teacher to former toddlers is a good enough job, but Kate's job at a department store isn't good enough and instead she I just viewed as a woman who instead has never had a job? Wow, I guess I have to scratch my department store work off my resume.
Calling Diana a 'teacher' is exaggerating what her job was. She was essentially a nursery assistant. Someone earlier called it babysitting, and that's essentially what the job entails. I'm sure it can be tough, but it certainly was not teaching. Diana could never have even come close to a teaching career. She didn't get a single O-Level, despite taking them twice and having received a top-class private education. O-Levels were the equivalent of a GCSE today and you have to pass them to stay at school to study A-Levels at the age of 17 to 18, which you then have to pass to go on to university. It would be the American equivalent of not graduating from high school.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Courtier

I think it's pretty clear that the family did not want another 'Diana frenzy' with the media surrounding Kate. Prince William would surely be very sensitive to that.

That said...you can't even really compare the two situations. Very different era/time. Marrying the heir as opposed to marrying the son of the heir. Long courtship with plenty of time for the media to get a look at her/them. Downplayed wedding and Prince William goes back to work and both keep a fairly low public profile except for royal engagements. Recycling of clothes.

Just a different attitude altogether. Plus Kate has had alot of support and direction, I think that is something William has insisted on.

LaRae
Old 07-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Plus Kate has had alot of support and direction, I think that is something William has insisted on.

LaRae
More importantly Catherine has been willing to accept the support and direction she has been given.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've often thought that Kate's had it much tougher than Diana did in lots of ways. Diana's family was not only aristocratic (and really top-drawer aristocratic), but they were intimately connected with the royal family over many decades. Diana will have been totally familiar with much of the protocol and the habits of the Windsors.

Kate's a totally different kettle of fish. She has no aristocratic background, no finishing school education, no prior interaction with the royals or their social circle whatsoever. I know there have been stories of some of Prince William's more well-connected friends looking down on Kate a bit, and that wouldn't surprise me. Kate's having to move into this world in the middle of the 24-hour media, internet, camera phone generation which was only really getting going when Diana died.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Courtier

Hmmm well but Kate and William dated for 8 years. I find it hard to believe she had no familiarity with how things work...and I am sure she mixed (privately) with the royal family during this time at least at some point.

LaRae
Old 07-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess View Post
You know, I finally got to watch the wedding of Charles and Diana in full for the first time only a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed how much they talk about her, show her on camera etc. When they were walking back up the aisle, the camera focused ONLY on Diana for nearly that whole time! William and Kates wedding was very much about the two of them. I don't think she will be as popular as Diana, because she simply doesn't have the charisma and charm.
The fascination was not because Diana was imbued with any particular personal charisma at that point. How quickly these things can morph into a quasi-reality.

The fascination was that here was a young virginal girl being married to the Prince - it was very much the 'fairytale' that was the fascination.

The focus on her was not because she was particularly pretty that day, that her hair was particularly inspired or that she was particularly well-dressed. Sadly, the unblinking eye of the camera (that you describe) was predatory and was zeroing in on her as our surrogate - as the one who had won the lottery and so who was this woman, how was she handling it all - and being virgin - hmm, well, you know.

Charles? He had chosen - he was old news - she was the question mark - and people were fascinated. I'd go so far as to say that - given the times - any woman who had married Charles back then would have been elevated through the press to the level Diana was - it just happened to be Diana - it could have been Davina. We forget how much the 'event' of Diana was a function of the press.

But that Diana was loved at that point? That she was charismatic at that point? Not sure I'd go so far as that. I think that is conflating intense curiosity with personal charisma which I do not think she had. Had Charles not been standing beside her then - imbuing her with his status - we would have 'walked on by'.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Courtier

I agree, she was certainly not charismatic at that point...she was an overwhelmed 19 or 20 yr old.

Kate is a whole different kettle of fish.

LaRae
Old 07-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana said she received no guidance from the palace. This is corroborated by the Emanuels re: the wedding dress...that there was zero input from BRF.Also, Diana had in fact only been on 5 'dates' with Charles before he proposed, as opposed to having been together for a decade.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

If that's the case, why on earth did she say yes?! I mean, at 19 I think most women are sufficiently aware to be able to say, I don't know this person; he's the Prince of Wales, but this is way too soon to be getting married. Diana was already living in her own flat in one of the posh bits of central London. It's not as if she was a yokel from the country, or a child living under her parents' wings. Which suggests to me that it was the fact it was the Prince of Wales who was proposing that led Diana to accept. It wasn't about marrying Charles; it was about marrying the heir to the throne.

With Kate, we know she didn't meet the Queen until Peter Phillips's wedding in 2008, and had no involvement with the official part of William's life until that stage. Diana, because of her aristocratic background, didn't need to learn about the etiquette of taking tea with the Queen, about the country sports, or the workings of court. Diana was a part of 'the Establishment' through her family. That kind of life came naturally to Diana. Kate is still learning these things.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

With Kate, we know she didn't meet the Queen until Peter Phillips's wedding in 2008, and had no involvement with the official part of William's life until that stage. Diana, because of her aristocratic background, didn't need to learn about the etiquette of taking tea with the Queen, about the country sports, or the workings of court. Diana was a part of 'the Establishment' through her family. That kind of life came naturally to Diana. Kate is still learning these things.[/QUOTE]

This is interesting. My initial thought was OMG this is so true and then to a certain extent it might be. I think it is true of Catherine - she is learning the ropes, doesn't have insider knowledge and relies a lot on William and now on PoW, Camilla and Harry to help her. She knows that she's got a lot to learn and so does everyone else.

Diana was thought to understand it but I think that she didn't. She knew protocols etc but how the BRF family worked amongst itself - I think it was a closed book. Far to young and (have to say) not intelligent enough to work out the detail and then too nervous to ask for help. Lots of blame heaped on the Palace but as EIIR points out - she would have been expected to understand.

Catherine is 30 and aware of the need to learn; Diana was 19/20 and expected to know already. No one took account of Diana's disfunctional family life and lack of supportive parents.

Catherine's upbringing has produced a seemingly well-balanced individual with a positive outlook and a willingness to learn for which the palace should be thankful. And so should the British public.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it's true that anyone Charles married would have instantly become the focus of media attention on a global scale.
The press had been following him and his various girlfriends for years.
Finally, the choice was made, and the future queen was young and blonde and beautiful!
Diana was an image; her charisma or charm was more or less assumed because she looked right.

Naturally a whole lot of people bought into the fairytale and didn't want to hear that the prince and princess had practically nothing in common.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Aristocracy

i don't think if he married camilla first she would have been as famous but kate is really becoming the modern woman and i know what she wears everyday since got engaged
Old 07-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Serene Highness

Diana and Kate had very different life experiences.. Different backgrounds, different era, expectations of them were very different as well. When Diana married she was 19 years old and hadn't really experienced life. When you are 18-20 years old, you are just starting your adult life. I think this was the lesson from the 1950's and early 1960's when women in general married young 18-21 was the norm at the time.

While they may have legally been adults, some of them would have been better off it they had married later. Because of immaturity and other issues, a lot of these individuals later ended up getting divorced. I don't think most 18-20 years old are ready for marriage even if they think so.

On the other hand Kate was 29 years old when she got married and had experienced life to a much wider degree than Diana. Kate graduated from college. Diana never went to college and probably wouldn't have as academics was not really her cup of tea. If Kate hadn't met or married Prince Williams, she probably would be in some type of career IMO.

I think Kate will be popular but I'm not sure if she will be more popular than Diana, perhaps she will later.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Aristocracy

Not sure I want to go through another Diana/media craziness, and certainly the Palace doesn't.

I'm not a big Catherine fan, but one thing I did read, if true, that impressed me, was that she takes notes. I think that is a smart thing to do.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana