The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Majesty

This is for all those of us who are tired of Catherine/Diana comparisons, as well as seeing Catherine referred to as 'Kate Middleton'.

Enough With The Kate-Diana Comparisons | Lez Get Real

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Aristocracy

I don't really mind all the "Princess Catherine" comments anymore. Yea she's not OFFICIALLY HRH Princess Catherine, but damn it, she holds the rank of Princess and she certainly acts the part every day. For me going forward it will be Princess Catherine or The Duchess of Cambridge :) Oh yea, and to keep this post relevant, I can't wait to see how she does in the coming months with her charity work :)

Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Sorry, if she is a Princess, she is Princess William or, more correctly, her full title and style is Her Royal Highness Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus. And, until such time as HM Queen Elizabeth casts off this mortal coil, she will remain Princess William or Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

It serves no one, and irritates many when, as in this case, you are aware of her correct title and choose to "elevate" her. Those entitled to be called Princess in their own right are either born to it or, on very rare occasions, given that right, as in the case of Princess Alice.

To me it is just as rude as those who persist in calling both Catherine and Camilla by the name the held before their marriage.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 AM
Aristocracy

I don't really want to get into an argument as I'm aware of all of your points and agree with them, but in my mind I see her as a princess whose name is Catherine, as opposed to The Princess Catherine, or Princess Catherine. Basically she's a princess in my heart, and I secretly don't mind it when the media refer to her as such. Now the 'Duchess Kate' and 'Kate Middleton' crap has got to stop--it just sounds awful, and is a bit disrespectful.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Enough of this nonsense comparison.
And enough of this style fighting for the Duchess. She married a royal, she is now a royal and she desserves the respect due to her rank. As exactly for any other commoner married to a royal
Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Enough of this nonsense comparison.
And enough of this style fighting for the Duchess. She married a royal, she is now a royal and she desserves the respect due to her rank. As exactly for any other commoner married to a royal

thank you, this is straight and to the point, exactly what i wanted to say.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
This is for all those of us who are tired of Catherine/Diana comparisons, as well as seeing Catherine referred to as 'Kate Middleton'.

Enough With The Kate-Diana Comparisons | Lez Get Real
I am tired of the comparisons. But I still call her Kate Middleton at times. It doesn't have anything to do with disrespecting her title, it's just what we've been calling her all these years. Old habit.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Nobility

Can we please just move on our lovely Diana is now in another place, Catherine has married into the BRF - she is not Diana but her own person, so let her be and lets enjoy her being a Princess
Old 01-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Who Kate is now does not alter her origins. Nothing miraculous has happened; she got married.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Serene Highness

You know, lets stop making comparisons. Catherine is her person with her own thoughts and feelings. She has similarities when it comes to that Diana had a mind of her own as well. Catherines sense of style was already in place before she married William and has now been able to enhance it since she has to look yhe part now. Diana was no fashionista until she married and then had to learn how to look royal. She actually dressed rather frumpy looking. I think Diana and Catherine are two separate people that maybe have some of the same concerns about people and problems in the world. We are just lucky that William married someone that is similar to his mom.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Serene Highness

And yes, I think she will be as popular if not more popular as Diana was.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Serene Highness

imo i think kate is just a popular as princess di and im sure in the future kate will be more popular than princess di
Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare View Post
imo i think kate is just a popular as princess di and im sure in the future kate will be more popular than princess di
I don't believe she is and I don't really believe she ever will be- Diana had a type of iconic charisma that very few people have, and I think a lot of it was linked to her personal failings and private sadness- the juxtaposition of that with her beauty and charm made her very alluring and very easy to mythologize.

I don't think Kate will have the same effect because I think Kate will mostly have a pretty happy life, a successful marriage, and go about her duties in the best way she can. She reminds me of the Queen Mother more than she reminds me of Diana.

I think both women are fascinating, but in totally different ways.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Serene Highness

I understand what you are saying but I guess we will have to wait and see. This is a new era for the monarchy and Catherine is a breath of fresh air. I think because she is more comfortable with her role and is more confident in herself than Diana was makes her better able to relate to people and circumstances. I think she will modernize the monarchy in the future and be a fantastic queen. Just my opinion.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Royal Highness

Popularity of Diana and Kate's are different. Diana was star on her own, Kate for me is more popular because she married William (who's Diana's son). Diana had 'something' what made her a 'star' among royalty, Kate doesn't has that charisma. She will be popular when she'll prove that she's good wife, mother (in the future) and hardworking member of BRF.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle
I understand what you are saying but I guess we will have to wait and see. This is a new era for the monarchy and Catherine is a breath of fresh air. I think because she is more comfortable with her role and is more confident in herself than Diana was makes her better able to relate to people and circumstances. I think she will modernize the monarchy in the future and be a fantastic queen. Just my opinion.
Oh I agree completely that she'll be a fantastic queen. I just don't think she'll have the same type of popularity Diana had.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Nobility

I don't think Catherine will be as popular as Diana. I don't think she wants to either. Part of Diana's popularity was all of the scandal surrounding her. Catherine and William seem to be pretty boring (in a good way) and the Duchess seems pretty well balanced emotionally (nothing against Diana). A lot of the press and interviews Diana did gave her a lot of exposure. They don't seem like things that Catherine would do.

I also do not think Catherine will be as popular because there seems to be some backlash again Catherine online with those "Waity Katie" and "Duchess Dolittle" and random taken out of context videos. I wasn't really old enough to notice, but was their backlash against Diana? I'm assuming the backlash against Catherine are people jealous about her marry William.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I think she is and will be increasingly popular. The ladies occupy different positions within the BRF. I just think Catherines popularity will not be the "fashionsista" "Dynasty Di" mania we saw in the 1980s and hopefully there will never be the divorce drama/I am a victim/I want to be Queen of Hearts soap opera of the 1990s.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well as long as William and Kate make each other happy we won't be seeing that.

Anyway, my imo stays the same "no". Catherine doesn't have that same iconic appeal a Diana, an Audrey, or a Grace had. She is already known around most parts of the world and that is good enough. Diana sadly had much too much fame. Kate does not need that. Today royalty is out-shown by intriguing or trashy celebrities. Most women I know loved the wedding but find Catherine to be bland and ambition less. We're in an age where women are now professionals and corporate leaders, not dreaming about marrying a prince.

Also these constant comparisons to Diana such as will she be more popular or her dress is just like Diana's who looks better; its getting ridiculously repetitive and tiresome.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Commoner

I didn't read all 52 pages of this, but let me say there will never be another Diana. (Some might say that's a good thing.) Every woman who married into the BRF since 1981 has been compared to Diana. Fergie, Sophie, Camilla, and now Kate. It is terribly unfair. Can you imagine being compared to your deceased mother-in-law whom you've never met? I will say that William & Kate do not "grab" me the way Charles & Diana did. I hadn't been following Wills' love life for a while, but I knew he had a girlfriend named Kate back in college. To be honest, I was surprised he was still with her; I just assumed William would have a string of girlfriends like Charles did. Kate is so unbelievably boring, I had a difficult time getting excited about the wedding. Part of Diana's mystique is that she came seemingly from nowhere. It was like "Who is this beautiful girl Prince Charles captured?" and there was something mysterious about her for a long time. Kate has been around so long, it's not the same thing. About Diana's dress sense, someone called her 'frumpy'. She wore a lot of ruffles and frills in the early days, but she was young enough to get away with it and at least she had a style.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana