The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Aristocracy

The Duchess of Cambridge Razzle Dazzled in Her Simple Attire At The Races

The Duchess of Cambridge Razzle Dazzled at the Races today. She is making her debut in simple attire that is not overwhelming the other Royals.
She looks like an elegant lady of the Roaring Twenties. I had hoped that she would style her hair differently which she did today. William and all England should be proud of her.

Princes William and Harry are very tall men so their top hats could be an inch and half shorter.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Majesty

I think William's pride in his wife is very obvious. He is constantly smiling when in her presence, and that is very touching to observe (the small touches are very sweet as well). I think Catherine's popularity will be more subdued, because she seems to be the type that doesn't mind hanging back (though from observing her and William together, she appears to be more outgoing when talking to the public). I guess time will tell.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Commoner

I do not understand why a comparison between either the Duchess of Cambridge and Diana, Princess of Wales is even necessary? Diana was an incredible human being, a loving human being, a generous human being, a caring human being, a BEAUTIFUL person, both inside and out and so is Katherine.

No one can replace Diana and no one can replace Katherine, they are both spectacular individuals, in their own right.

I am very much PRO Camilla, but that should not be interpreted that I am in anyway, shape or form ANTI Diana, I am not.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundtrock View Post
I do not understand why a comparison between either the Duchess of Cambridge and Diana, Princess of Wales is even necessary? Diana was an incredible human being, a loving human being, a generous human being, a caring human being, a BEAUTIFUL person, both inside and out and so is Katherine.

No one can replace Diana and no one can replace Katherine, they are both spectacular individuals, in their own right.

I am very much PRO Camilla, but that should not be interpreted that I am in anyway, shape or form ANTI Diana, I am not.
Well said its quite refreshing to read opinions of those who like both Diana & Camilla.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Kate is a refreshing breeze! Diana was not famous - she was infamous and an embarrassment in the end. I do not think Kate is of the temperament to unravel in the way Diana did - and that is a relief. She is a pleasant image and conducts herself discreetly and is clearly strong - she will far surpass Diana in reputation and admiration, I do believe, over time.
I'm quoting myself! To slightly disagree - Ha!

I know her manner thus far is what is making her so popular - and hats off to her handling such a difficult passage, but it crosses my mind: what if that 'strength' and control and meticulousness will one day be turned against her in a negative way - and lord knows the press is very canny about these things.

In the end, Kate has only just started this journey. Marriage is tough - babies arrive - its not a simple dance even in the best of circumstances. I really, really hope this young lady navigates the shoals coming her way. (Diana certainly didn't and we saw the result).
Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I'm quoting myself! To slightly disagree - Ha!

I know her manner thus far is what is making her so popular - and hats off to her handling such a difficult passage, but it crosses my mind: what if that 'strength' and control and meticulousness will one day be turned against her in a negative way - and lord knows the press is very canny about these things.

In the end, Kate has only just started this journey. Marriage is tough - babies arrive - its not a simple dance even in the best of circumstances. I really, really hope this young lady navigates the shoals coming her way. (Diana certainly didn't and we saw the result).
Isnt that the truth marriage is tuff? The positive outweighs the negatives..
They are both young..She is a strong lady..She will do just fine~
Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Aristocracy

Duchess Catherine seems to obseve inside and outside of the ARENA and acts accordingly (likle an old Englishman) which would be very difficult to do all the time.

At the end of the day it is the Media that builds up and breaks down the people on the World's Stage.

We will watch how she progress. No one is perfect so far she has done well.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

No Ofcorse , but she will not have popularty like princess diana , but people wil love her almost same thing , i realy love her but not more tahn diana , maybe becase i dnot know her too much
Old 06-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Im sure all the hype of her "Is she going to be more popular"thing is going to make her even more popular!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

I dont think Kate will become more popular than Diana, times have changed and, sorry to be a bit morbid, Diana's popularity climaxed with her premature and tragic death.

Kate will be popular no so much in people's hearts but in terms of coverage. No other CP or future Queen will be able to touch her in that respect. Because of her place within the British monarchy, Kate will become one of the most photographed and recognizable women of her time, while all the Marys, Letizias, Maximas etc can only look on with open jaws.

Its a fact that the Brits are the only monarchy that known in almost every corner of the world, and Kate will be their flagship.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I dont think Kate will become more popular than Diana, times have changed and, sorry to be a bit morbid, Diana's popularity climaxed with her premature and tragic death.

Kate will be popular no so much in people's hearts but in terms of coverage. No other CP or future Queen will be able to touch her in that respect. Because of her place within the British monarchy, Kate will become one of the most photographed and recognizable women of her time, while all the Marys, Letizias, Maximas etc can only look on with open jaws.

Its a fact that the Brits are the only monarchy that known in almost every corner of the world, and Kate will be their flagship.
I absolutely agree.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Aristocracy

I don't think Kate will be the icon Diana became. And I hope, for Kate's sake, that I am right. Her icon status ended up killing Diana in the end, as there would have been no car chase, etc, if not for the media.

My hope is that Kate will attain a steady popularity with the world but will maintain enough of a distance so that she does not have to contend with the monster of media intrusion that Diana had to deal with (and to be honest - Diana helped create the monster, at least initially).

I think the Duchess being almost a decade older than Diana when they each married will help Kate keep centred and she certainly appears to me to be very sure of herself and of who she is. (Please don't get me wrong, I adored Diana and miss her presence on the world "stage" to this day. But I don't put on rose-coloured glasses when discussing her, either.)

I am very confident that the new Duchess of Cambridge will "go the distance' and we will watch her being crowned Queen Consort next to King William IV. I think they put a lot of thought behind their decision and took the time to make sure she could handle the position and indeed, if she even wanted the position. I see her as accepting the position because she loves Prince William and he has an inescapable destiny but I think she'd have preferred him not to be the future King, but that just my opinion and I have no way of knowing if I am correct or not.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
I don't think Kate will be the icon Diana became. And I hope, for Kate's sake, that I am right. Her icon status ended up killing Diana in the end, as there would have been no car chase, etc, if not for the media.

I would argue that there would have been no car chase etc if not for her fans. Her fans killed Diana and no one else.

As a result I hope that Kate doesn't have that sort of fan base that prompts paparrazzi or others to chase her and kill her for a photo op.

I do hope that her popularity is more sane and normal and that will be the case unless she buys into the hype and thinks that she is more important than the institution into which she married.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I would argue that there would have been no car chase etc if not for her fans. Her fans killed Diana and no one else.

As a result I hope that Kate doesn't have that sort of fan base that prompts paparrazzi or others to chase her and kill her for a photo op.

I do hope that her popularity is more sane and normal and that will be the case unless she buys into the hype and thinks that she is more important than the institution into which she married.
While I do understand where your point of view is coming from, I would counterpoint that I split the blame 50/50 - on her fans and the media. Because her fans weren't the ones literally chasing her down that tunnel.

Ontopic I think it depends on how 'popularity' is measured. I don't think Catherine will (have to) endure the same thing, not in the least because she seems to be more subdued -but with more inner poise, a winner imo- and supportive of William.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Not ALL of Diana's fans ran out and bought copies of tabloid trash; I certainly never did. Some of her fans, and I have no idea how anyone could calculate percentages here, were responsible for feeding the media beast as well.

Nevertheless, I agree with the point you make, and also hope that Kate will not have that type of fan base with which Diana had to cope. I think they're starting the right way with the understated tone of the wedding, etc.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Nobility

Well, I am getting a bit tired of the whole issue of Diana being accused of allways outstaging the other royals deliberatly. She merely dressed according to her age and as was expected of her. Fair or not, she was just much more beautiful, than any other lady of the family and could have worn a potato sack and being accused of eclipsing the Queen or Charles

The same can be said for Catherine. Her outfits are being discussed to death in these threads, and I have still to find ONE comment on Williams attire. Young, beautiful women, will always take the limelight over men in suits/tuxedos. The difference is here though, is that Catherines husband, don't seem to mind. Instead of being jealous of her, he seems very proud.

In my opinion, she will be as popular as her mother-in-law, but she will have more help navigating the media and have a supportive husband.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:03 AM
Courtier

I agree with that. I think William learnt alot from watching what his mother went through and is very protective of Kate. I also don't think Kate wants to be another Diana! Her clothes etc will always be looked at. I do see in time the press turning on her as they had pre wedding with the whole waity Katie stuff. We will have to wait and see how she copes with this new life. Unlike Diana she has a husband who is far more protective and seems happy not to throw her in the deep end of things. I think the whole RF learnt some lessons with the Diana and Sarah years. Kate is older and has a very supportive family too which will help. We will of course get spikes in mass coverage like when she has a baby etc but I think she will be left alone to get along with things unlike Diana.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 AM
Aristocracy

Not fastening her seat belt killed Diana, but I agree that if there hadn't been such an exaggerated interest in Diana the paps would not have been chasing her and Dodi would not have done this back entrance escape to avoid them.
It would be ideal if people would leave the Duchess of Cambridge a bit of space.
Today the DM is publishing her grammatical and spelling errors in a thank you letter she wrote. Perhaps this will mean that in the future she will give any letters she needs to write to a secretary to check.
No one expects a royal to write impeccably (the Duke of Windsor certainly didn't) but the Duchess went to a very good school and then to St Andrew's and it is expected that she should spell correctly. It is one word used wrongly, and the other mistake was adding an apostrophe which caused the following word to be wrongly spelt.
I think the Duchess will find that being royal and in the spotlight is not so attractive as it may have seemed before the marriage. With help she should survive and iit woulld be helpful if she can develop a thick skin to cope with what is surely to come.

Although this is a petty thing to make almost headlines in the DM it is a sample of what she will come up against in the future so it will be to her advantage to be strong and not fazed by criticism, she is certainly going to get it.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Courtier

Agreed. As there are many people who admire and are happy for her, there are probably almost as many who are jealous and just waiting to sling arrows. I saw the letter referenced and it is quite easy when writing hurriedly, to use the wrong word or incorrect punctuation and it has nothing to do with what university one attended. Believe me, having worked most of my life at a major university I can attest to the fact that some faculty are among the most atrocious spellers. As for the DM making much of it, I think that if one were to go through their pages that it would be very easy to pick up far worse errors. The fact that she wrote a thank you letter was something that many people would not have taken the time to do. I think she will become very popular and as to those complaints about Diana upstaging, I recall when she was on the public stage in the very beginning and the stories of Charles getting miffed because people were more interested in seeing her than him, and all she appeared to be doing was smiling, accepting flowers and talking to children. There are many admireres of Charles and I take noting away from that, BUT he had been around for a long time and was not new and refreshing. Diana was young and beautiful and all she had to do was stand there and people wanted to see her. Fortunately, William not only obviously loves his wife and is very protective of her, he also appears to have a lot of self confidence and doesn't seem to be the kind of person who takes offense because his wife is of interest to others. He is also younger and attractive as well and also has his fans. Though I didn't run out and buy tabloids I did follow with interest the Princess of Wales and I think it is sad that so many people in taking sides, have resorted to unkindnesses. That being said, I am sure that Catherine will come in for her share of criticism, as on occasion it seems to be just below the surface ready to bubble up at any moment.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Administrator

At lot of readers did comment on the spelling or rather the misspelling that occurs in many DM articles. My spelling is awful as well..thank goodness for spell check.

But you are right...there are a number of people railing on her for spelling mistake or grammatical error..whatever...you would have thought she kicked a cat.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana