The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Nobility

My answer is NO. I don´t think she will be more popular than Diana. Well, Catherine will be popular because media and many people will see her like new Diana, but she´s diffrent. She likes privacy and enjoys a normal life with William.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Courtier

Diana died at the height of her beauty and popularity so we didn't have the opportunity to see if it would stand the test of time. Her popularity could have eventually faltered if she had married Dodi Fayed and made other missteps in her choices. Public sympathy only takes you so far, and eventually she may have tired of the attention and chosen a more private life.

I don't see that Catherine has the insecurities or limitless needs that Diana had. nor do I see her manipulating the press as Diana did. She seems very grounded and mature, and I don't see her airing dirty laundry in public or doing anything to embarrass the RF. I see her as a team with William and growing in her role where she will have the opportunity to make her own mark.

I think she WILL be more popular because I see her there for the long haul. By the time William becomes King and she becomes Queen, she will be well established and I see her and William being well loved and affective in their roles.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Aristocracy

I agree with texankitcat. I think over the long haul she has a very good chance but I'm thinking maybe more in a support role similar to the Queen Mother who passed away in March 2002. I think someone else has already mentioned that here.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Courtier

We must remember that Diana's role was changed when Charles left her after Harry was born and she had to find a way to make her life meaningful. I think she did an excellent job of making her life important, even without a loving marriage.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Aristocracy

I don't know about "popularity", but I really like Catherine better than Diana, in that I have great respect for Catherine and what she has done so far. So while she might not become as "popular" as Diana was, I think she'll gain more respect and perhaps even become one of the more respected member of the Family, along with William and the Queen and few others.

JMHO...
Old 05-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
I don't know about "popularity", but I really like Catherine better than Diana, in that I have great respect for Catherine and what she has done so far. So while she might not become as "popular" as Diana was, I think she'll gain more respect and perhaps even become one of the more respected member of the Family, along with William and the Queen and few others.

JMHO...
I think this is the key difference between Diana and Kate while we all like Diana and appreciate her work we respect Kate, Many reasons but for me because she seems solely interested in her marriage to William not the spotlight or designer clothes which Diana loved.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Serene Highness

I really find this thread distasteful!
Catherine is herself and this is not the competition with her Mother-in-Law that it would have been if Diana was alive.
She is obviously mature and well adjusted enough to recognise that her primary role is to support her husband, not upstage him!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Serene Highness

i think she will be just as popular...which is sad in a sense
Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Diana was popular in her time & Kate will be popular in her time, I don't like comparing people because nobody is the same. I think the reason became popular was of what she went through & her work for charity. Kate seems to be growing popularity faster than I thought, I see her being as popular & as photographed but in a different way than Diana as times are changing.
Well said I agree. The constant comparisons between Diana and Kate are starting to become annoying.
I think Kate should be praised for her own merits than being compared to Diana or putting Diana down in order to praise Kate.
I do like her very much, despite that she hasn't done much yet in her new role; hopefully her transition into TBRF will be an easy one.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Nobility

Diana is a myth. Myths usually have tragical lives and/or deaths. I wish Catherine a better life. Probably she will be very popular, not quite as much as Diana, although she will be much happier.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
Diana is a myth. Myths usually have tragical lives and/or deaths. I wish Catherine a better life. Probably she will be very popular, not quite as much as Diana, although she will be much happier.
Very good observation on human nature.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:11 AM
Aristocracy

The Duchess can hope to be popular. She really seems to be more like Sophie and Camilla than Diana and Sarah. She knows what she's doing, and can handle the media. It's for this same reason, though, that I don't think she will be as iconic as Diana (and they're very different things. Princess Grace was iconic, Princess Anne is popular) She's just too grounded to have much glamour. This is a very good thing, though. Royals shouldn't just be celebrities, and besides, Diana's fame destroyed her. It enhanced the emotional problems her childhood gave her (the bad childhood isn't an issue for Kate*, but all the attention would still make her life difficult) and it was partly responsible for her death. I wish The Duchess of Cambridge a much longer and happier life in The Royal Family

*This is another reason she won't be as iconic as Diana. There's just nothing glamorous about happily growing up with Mum, Dad, and two Siblings. Icons are more often than not, figures who bore the scars of a bad childhood. None of this is meant in a disturbing "nurnny nurnny nur nur" way. My own upbringing was virtually identical to Kate's, and as I mentioned before, the sort of life that makes someone iconic, is not enviable.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Nobility

The fact that she has a husband that loves her, is a huge difference compared to Diana. But I´m afraid that whatever she does, she will be measured against her MIL. I hope for her, that she can take inspiration from CP Maxima and use her education in her role as princess/Queen
Old 05-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Times have changed and to compare the two women is futile. Diana was the last of the mythical royal brides. She was young, beautiful and of proper lineage.She was uneducated and innocent. She developed into a woman that the world could not get enough of. She was extraordinarily photogenic and the stories about Camilla and Charles just made her more loved. Diana also broke ground with AIDS at a time when the world was very confused and poorly informed about the illness and its consequenses.

During her life there were not internet so any photo of her was eagerly waited for. No instantaneous news around the clock and over exposure.

Catherine is a modern woman. She is educated and much older when she got married. William took his time in getting to know his bride. Catherine will no doubt become very popular and well respected if she learns the ropes and the balance of being reachable for the people and distant enough to be royal.

Diana will always be a very special person. The myth will live on and she died young and still beautiful. Catherine will most likely be well liked and popular but I certainly hope there will not be any sordid details of her husband seeing someone behind her back the way Charles did.

And hopefully we will see Catherine live a long life. To die young will always put you and a pedestal.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:37 AM
Heir Apparent

In seven years' time, Kate will be the same as as Diana was when she died. I think that she'll inevitably be compared to Diana when she has her family and raises them into their teens, but then the comparisons will lessen. I think that by the time the Duchess is in her mid-and-late-40s and early 50s, her children will likely be older than William and Harry were when Diana died; and then Kate will really come into her own. There will be no comparisons between Kate and Diana as mothers of young adults, mothers of the bride/groom or, later, between Kate and Diana as grandmothers. Also, Kate will be a more mature woman when William becomes Duke of Cornwall and, likely, Prince of Wales--both in terms of physical age and of emotional growth. Because of these factors, I think that Kate could be a very, very popular person by middle-age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs View Post
But I´m afraid that whatever she does, she will be measured against her MIL.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unfortunately there are too many people who want to compare the two. But no I don't think Kate will be as popular nor do I think she wants to be. Half of Diana's popularity was spurned on by her and her need to feel love from somewhere. Kate seems to be more of a secure and mature woman who probably won't feel the need to upstage her husband or his family.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Unfortunately there are too many people who want to compare the two. But no I don't think Kate will be as popular nor do I think she wants to be. Half of Diana's popularity was spurned on by her and her need to feel love from somewhere. Kate seems to be more of a secure and mature woman who probably won't feel the need to upstage her husband or his family.
I pretty much think this hits the nail on the head. Whereas Diana was one of the most popular women in the world, for good or for bad, Kate is going to be more of a team player. Her popularity I think will reflect on the popularity of the Monarchy rather than on herself personally.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSY View Post
I share your vibe. I hope for Williams sake she'll shake the work-shy image and prove those who doubt her (myself included) wrong.
William needs to shake HIS notorious work-shy image. He's stubborn and lazy to a fault.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumper View Post
William needs to shake HIS notorious work-shy image. He's stubborn and lazy to a fault.
How do you know he is stubborn and lazy to a fault? Are you part of his inner circle?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Yes, secure in the sense that everybody has handed her everything her entire life and she's never had to work for anything. Mature? Nothing mature about putting everything and everybody else on hold to desperately run after a Prince.
I say secure and mature women are those who have well-rounded lives and accomplishments. Kate has really accomplished nothing. Oh, snagging a Prince.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana