The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I get what you are saying. I guess I just feel that one of the reasons for Diana's popularity in the beginning was the love that the media thought she shared with Charles.
And how misleading that turn out to be ??

exactly! :)

But going back to the actual topic about popularity the answer its NO. Nor ANY and, I really do believe that, any will be.

Maxima, Mette-Mari, Mary, Marie, Letizia as lovely as they are will never reach that level of popularity. And let's be honest nor should they try to (not that I think they will deliberately want that).

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
And how misleading that turn out to be ??

exactly! :)

But going back to the actual topic about popularity the answer its NO. Nor ANY and, I really do believe that, any will be.

Maxima, Mette-Mari, Mary, Marie, Letizia as lovely as they are will never reach that level of popularity. And let's be honest nor should they try to (not that I think they will deliberately want that).
I agree that was why I mentioned C & D. Chemistry is so subjective.

I agree about your views on the popularity question. Although I don't think that Diana always knew what she was dealing with. One of her misfortunes was her belief that she could control the media so I think those ideas contributed to some of the bad decision she made. Then again how do you deal with the media when you become as famous as she did? My belief is that you don't, it controls you. It is worth mentioning that Diana was not on the scene that long before she married Charles. People didn't know that much about her. As a result of her "blank slate" the media could fill it in however they liked. With Kate she has been around so long that for the most part people already know how they feel about her.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Serene Highness

It's true, Jemagre. By the time Princess Diana became a household name in America, she was already "the chosen one," only people who followed British news more carefully knew of her before then.

Kate is one of several young British women now in the public eye, and there's so much more media coverage. It's rare to have as much focus on one person, these days, as Diana got back then (news magazines on television were in their start-up days; Diana helped make them what they are - and they are now a vehicle for thousands of celebrities).

Kate does seem to have already been our "girl next door" for quite some time. And the on-again/off-again, possibly mildly party-oriented college girlfriend.

I also don't think that Diana Spencer had much control over her very first photog images that became international (of her and the children in the nursery school), but the association between her sweet, demur demeanor, the cute little chidren, her nanny-like clothing, her blondness too - and the fact that she was of aristocratic heritage - all hit the international news at the same time.

Kate sort of gradually rose to the top of a bunch of pictures, replacing Harry as Wills's sidekick, so it seems to me. I think it must be much easier to deal with, that way, and that Prince William is rather aware that his own courtship should be handled different than that of his father.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
It's true, Jemagre. By the time Princess Diana became a household name in America, she was already "the chosen one," only people who followed British news more carefully knew of her before then.

Kate is one of several young British women now in the public eye, and there's so much more media coverage. It's rare to have as much focus on one person, these days, as Diana got back then (news magazines on television were in their start-up days; Diana helped make them what they are - and they are now a vehicle for thousands of celebrities).

Kate does seem to have already been our "girl next door" for quite some time. And the on-again/off-again, possibly mildly party-oriented college girlfriend.

I also don't think that Diana Spencer had much control over her very first photog images that became international (of her and the children in the nursery school), but the association between her sweet, demur demeanor, the cute little chidren, her nanny-like clothing, her blondness too - and the fact that she was of aristocratic heritage - all hit the international news at the same time.

Kate sort of gradually rose to the top of a bunch of pictures, replacing Harry as Wills's sidekick, so it seems to me. I think it must be much easier to deal with, that way, and that Prince William is rather aware that his own courtship should be handled different than that of his father.
You make a lot of good points as well. When you mentioned Diana posing with the children part of it, I believe the press asked her to. Right? If not then they must have loved the pictures because it showed a maternal aspect to Diana and I believe that they really wanted Charles to get married so he could have children. Diana checked all of the boxes the media felt she needed to be a great royal.

I too hope that lessons have been learned by William and the palace in regards to the press attention inflicted on the family. While that help was too late in some ways for Diana hopefully it can be applied for future generations. Then again I worry with the creation of the global media this is a whole new ballgame for the family. Even though the media was strong during Diana's life, information did not reach people as fast as it does now. For example: during Diana's life the media was very much in the hands of the newspapers and respectable networks which are things you can work with to some degree. With the flourishing of the internet and blogs you can no longer exert such great force on the media. So it will be interesting to determine how this plays out. I admit the royal family is trying with their facebook, twitter, and youtube channel. I feel however that only royalists or people slightly interested in them look at those things so they don't have mass appeal like newspapers once did.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I agree that was why I mentioned C & D. Chemistry is so subjective.

I agree about your views on the popularity question. Although I don't think that Diana always knew what she was dealing with. One of her misfortunes was her belief that she could control the media so I think those ideas contributed to some of the bad decision she made. Then again how do you deal with the media when you become as famous as she did? My belief is that you don't, it controls you. It is worth mentioning that Diana was not on the scene that long before she married Charles. People didn't know that much about her. As a result of her "blank slate" the media could fill it in however they liked. With Kate she has been around so long that for the most part people already know how they feel about her.
As said here before , don't remember by who, sorry :). and also by you, one of the most endearing fact about Diana was how unknown she was and how perfect she seemed to be for the role (aristocratic with no past). With Kate, we have someone that has already been into the spotlight for sometime, we already have a notion about who she is so we can look at her and her relationship with William in a less "Fairy-Taly" way. That, IMO, can make their engagement loose a little of the appeal, at least for some.
Even if W&C are 2 very different people, the marriage and eventual divorce between C&D made people much more cautious, like: "I went there 30 ago, really believing they were the real deal, and look how it turned out?" I'm not doing that again!"
anyways, all of these factors, and some other, will impact Kate's popularity. Even if some of them are not directly related to her persona
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Courtier

Kate Middleton Surpasses Lady Di as the Most-Mentioned Royal in the Media

Just because I post a story does not mean I agree or follow the data.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
Kate Middleton Surpasses Lady Di as the Most-Mentioned Royal in the Media Just because I post a story does not mean I agree or follow the data.
I think Catherine is popular now only because of the wedding. If she acts like the past in her future royal role I believe in six months the media will be less on her.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I think Catherine is popular now only because of the wedding. If she acts like the past in her future royal role I believe in six months the media will be lesson her.
Previous to her engagement Kate Middleton was a private Person, and acted like a private Person .. with every right to do so.

Obviously she knows well what is expected of her as a royal - you can see that very clearly since her engagement.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Serene Highness

I think to compare Pss Diana and Catherine M. in any way is like apples and oranges. They are (were) two totally different types of women in relationships with two totally different types of men. The relationships themselves are completely different as well. And the fact that Pss Diana was a very naive woman just out of her teens, while Catherine is what I would call a bit more worldly and closer to 30 makes a huge difference, imo. In terms of more media coverage, people need to remember that in the early years of Pss Diana's move into the BRF, there wasn't the Internet and/or any of the social networks there are now. Information was not so immediately available.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Nobility

It’s too bad Kate is marrying down - The Globe and Mail

It’s too bad Kate is marrying down

Canada's Globe and Mail.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:00 PM

Diana had a charm that we see rarely in many people. While I'm sure Catherine is a lovely girl, only time will tell if she has the same magnetism that Princess Diana had. I hope for her a much happier life than Diana, no matter which way the public tide turns.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Diana was popular in her time & Kate will be popular in her time, I don't like comparing people because nobody is the same. I think the reason became popular was of what she went through & her work for charity. Kate seems to be growing popularity faster than I thought, I see her being as popular & as photographed but in a different way than Diana as times are changing.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981 View Post
i would agree with posts but Kate not yet as Princess but Diana still as legacy Princess and she still popular Princess since her marriages to Prince Charles in 1981
Yes, most certainly is a Princess! The Princess William of Wales IS one of her titles but she and William will officially use their Dukenom titles. I did some reading.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Yes, most certainly is a Princess! The Princess William of Wales IS one of her titles but she and William will officially use their Dukenom titles. I did some reading.

Sara wrote that comment about Kate not being a princess in 2006 - when she was still just the girlfriend.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily62_1 View Post
surely, media will try to make a new Diana of Kate, though I c her as a down to earth woman, a solid, strong woman, while our beloved Di was so frail, even in her appearence, she blushed so easily in the first times, she was shy, at first, when I saw her on the day of her wed, she looked just as a fairytale creature, what have they got in common the 2s? nothing at all! this makes me think.... how come William chose a woman so different from his late mum, it's obvious Kate will do very good in the Establishment..... where Di failed on the whole- maybe, that's why Wills chose her-
And here was me thinking he fell in love and, when he was sure she knew what she was getting into and could cope with it, he married her. Silly me! No love and romance for our William it seems, rather a marriage of convenience. NOT!

Surprisingly Diana was rather more than 5 when she married and, for all her ostensible shyness, frailty and fairytaleness (is that even a word), had the nature of a steel butterfly!

If Catherine does becomes more popular than Diana I believe it will be for totally different reasons. So far, she is everything we could have wanted for William, both a lover and a partner, and a dynamite double act during public engagements. Given time we will see more of her as a wife a mother and a future Queen, getting to know more about her. I think we will approve wholeheartedly.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I am sure she will be as popular as Diana was.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't believe Catherine will endear herself to the public as much as Diana did, and I don't believe Catherine would want too.

Catherine, I feel, will model her role as wife and consort much the same way Camilla has and that could either play in her favour or work against her. Time will tell.

They are just married and need time to settle and adjust and they should be accorded that time, but I firmly believe there will be a public expectation that the Duchess of Cambridge should have a consistent public presence in the not so distant future. I don't think any attempt be seen primarily as a supportive wife with little focus for her own causes will to be met with much enthusiasm myself.

Whether they would like to think it or not (?), William and Catherine have become the 21st century faces of the monarchy and for that reason alone, they will need to be seen to engage themselves with the public on a regular basis.

I think Catherine will experience the almost bipolar like severity of media scrutiny and I think we'll see that happen relatively early on in comparison to Diana.

She'll be loved one day and a topic of exasperation the next.

These are my opinions and mine alone, but I really feel that Catherine will have a harder time with the media than William. And I also believe Catherine will be expected to prove herself in ways that aren't necessarily expected of William being that he was born royal which is kind of pointing out the obvious really.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I don't believe Catherine will endear herself to the public as much as Diana did, and I don't believe Catherine would want too.

Catherine, I feel, will model her role as wife and consort much the same way Camilla has and that could either play in her favour or work against her. Time will tell..
Yes, agreed. And this from someone who actually likes her better then I liked Diana...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
They are just married and need time to settle and adjust and they should be accorded that time, but I firmly believe there will be a public expectation that the Duchess of Cambridge should have a consistent public presence in the not so distant future. I don't think any attempt to be seen primarily as a supportive wife with little focus for her own causes will to be met with much enthusiasm myself.
Agreed- and it's already happening. She is not undertaking any of her own engagements for 2 years but only ones with him, which while maybe great for them, I think it's a bit long and does little to contridict her already out ther image of 'lazy' (for lack of a better word). The public is fickle, they love her now but if she barely surfaces for 2 years aside from solely his public events I do believe she'll get some backlash and overall this will not lend itself to making her as popular as Diana, though I agree she probably isn't concern about that.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Yes, agreed. And this from someone who actually likes her better then I liked Diana...

Agreed- and it's already happening. She is not undertaking any of her own engagements for 2 years but only ones with him, which while maybe great for them, I think it's a bit long and does little to contridict her already out ther image of 'lazy' (for lack of a better word). The public is fickle, they love her now but if she barely surfaces for 2 years aside from solely his public events I do believe she'll get some backlash and overall this will not lend itself to making her as popular as Diana, though I agree she probably isn't concern about that.
Agreed. However, they have already done 4 events prior to the wedding and have a trip to Canada and America (rumors) planned. It seems to me they are moving right along with getting her out and them working together. So far, the PR has been nothing but brilliant in how they are introducing her and the venues they are choosing. I think she and William are really going to make a huge impact on the RF as a very dynamic duo. It's really exciting to watch!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Commoner

I think Kate has the potential to be as popular as Diana, She comes across as modest, polite and understanding the public love her as she clearly adores William. Kate is a private person who clearly enjoys a normal life unlike Diana she is not obliged to perform public duties daily so the media scrutiny should be less intense in the coming months.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana