The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarevitch View Post
I agree with you that the late Diana was so iconic, that it is hardly imagineable that someone would 'replace' her. But don't forget she died in her prime, so to speak. This year she would have celebrated her 50th birthday and maybe she was set to become grandmother. That is a completely different Diana than the beautiful slender youthful blonde aristocratic lady which has been set in our image, of course.
You are right in that the world will only remember the youthful, iconic image of Diana. Had she lived, it would have interesting to see if she would truely have been able to build a life for herself independent of the BRF. It would also have been interesting to see how she would have reacted to her sons growing up and finding partners, and the introduction of those partners to public life. How would Diana have coped with the fame of Princess William, and would she have been a meddlesome mother-in-law... these are all questions we would never have the answers to.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
You are right in that the world will only remember the youthful, iconic image of Diana. Had she lived, it would have interesting to see if she would truely have been able to build a life for herself independent of the BRF. It would also have been interesting to see how she would have reacted to her sons growing up and finding partners, and the introduction of those partners to public life. How would Diana have coped with the fame of Princess William, and would she have been a meddlesome mother-in-law... these are all questions we would never have the answers to.
Indeed. It is intriguing. We will never know if the now 50-years old Lady Diana Al-Fayed would still be so iconic or slowly have faded away in some anonimity, living a quiet life on the countryside somehwere in England, France or Italy.

The iconic image of Diana (and James Dean, and Marilyn Monroe, and Maria Callas) is not for nothing connected with a worldwide appeal plus a premature death.

For the moment I do not really see that Catherine Middleton will 'replace' Diana. Not to the extent of her immense celebrity status. I think Prince William and Catherine will do everything to prevent such a celeb hysteria again around themselves or their children.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Indeed. It is intriguing. We will never know if the now 50-years old Lady Diana Al-Fayed would still be so iconic or slowly have faded away in some anonimity, living a quiet life on the countryside somehwere in England, France or Italy.
Somehow I doubt that she would ever :

a) have become Diana Al Fayed!
b) have been living a quiet life in the countryside!!!

Quote:
I think Prince William and Catherine will do everything to prevent such a celeb hysteria again around themselves or their children.
I sincerely do hope that is the case.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Commoner

Althorp Estate is 'very countryside' so Diana must have experienced the country life. People do change. I can very well imagine that a 50-years old Diana would have changed from a 'city girl' into the Lady of the Manor somewhere on the beautiful English countryside, in Dorset, Hampshire, Kent. Oh yes.

But okay, that is a bit getting off-topic in this thread.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Althorp Estate is 'very countryside' so Diana must have experienced the country life. People do change. I can very well imagine that Diana would have changed from a 'city girl' into the Lady of the Manor somewhere on the beautiful English countryside, in Dorset, Hampshire, Kent. Oh yes.
Diana did not live at Althrop for very long, and in any case, that was in her teenage years.

My point was that to me, she did not appear to be somebody who would be willing to live "quietly" at all - she loved the media attention far too much to shy away from it at all.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I'll restate my position that I believe Kate and PW will do just enough to appear to earn their keep...no more, no less.

I don't believe Kate will feel she needs to "prove" herself, as she will be a member of the BRF, no matter what.

No, I don't dislike her or PW, as I don't know them. Neither seems to be a ball of fire, champing at the bit to get out there and do the job. Sure, they did a bit of flitting around last week and I was glad to see them, but it was probably an "order" from BP.

She will never eclipse Diana, because she is not "needy."

In 5 years time, I'll eat my tiara if necessary.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Serene Highness

I like to think of Kate Middleton stepping into the role so ably played by the Queen Mum. She will be in the Royal Family for a very long time, explore various ways to fulfill her role (and her own life), and by so doing, she will leave a mark on history. I think it will be very favorable, and that crowds will come out to see them in all parts of the Commonwealth - to see both of them.

I know that if they were to make any sort of public appearance in the United States, crowds would come out and media coverage would be intense. Kate will be exceptionally well known, but she needs to pace herself and not inundate us with daily details (she and Will clearly know how to keep a lower profile when they want to, good for them).
Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I like to think of Kate Middleton stepping into the role so ably played by the Queen Mum. She will be in the Royal Family for a very long time, explore various ways to fulfill her role (and her own life), and by so doing, she will leave a mark on history. I think it will be very favorable, and that crowds will come out to see them in all parts of the Commonwealth - to see both of them.

I know that if they were to make any sort of public appearance in the United States, crowds would come out and media coverage would be intense. Kate will be exceptionally well known, but she needs to pace herself and not inundate us with daily details (she and Will clearly know how to keep a lower profile when they want to, good for them).
I fully agree with you.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
In 5 years time, I'll eat my tiara if necessary.

Would you like it dipped in chocolate....lol.... I only hope that I am right and you are wrong. That they will both step up to the plate and do their jobs as a united couple ...Never ment that you did not like them may you keep your own opinion. As I will keep mine.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Is there anyone in the BRF who hops out of car ready to do their engagements or "their job." They all act professional, steady and serious.

I think Kate and William will do what is necessary now before they become full time royals. I believe that the BRF (particuarly the Queen and Prince Charles) are very mindful of the missteps of Diana and Sarah and learning form Sophie and Camilla, are going to do a slow introduction of full time royal life. The Queen certainly remembers her early married life when she had time to enjoy being a wife in Malta.

Within three to five years or so, we should see the Queen, Prince Phillip, the Kents and the Gloucesters slow down in their royal engagements. At that time, I would imagine that Kate and William might have a child or two, and the real work begins.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Commoner

We can not look in the future, but so far the matches Philippe - Mathilde, Haakon - Mette-Marit, Willem-Alexander - Máxima, Frederik - Mary, Felipe - Letizia and Victoria - Daniel looks like happy marriages.

There have been divorces (Joachim - Alexandra, Elena - Jaime) but I also have the feeling that Catherine will remain in the royal family for a looooong time.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
For the moment I do not really see that Catherine Middleton will 'replace' Diana. Not to the extent of her immense celebrity status. I think Prince William and Catherine will do everything to prevent such a celeb hysteria again around themselves or their children.
I think one way too that the popularity that surrounds Kate will be immensely different than Diana's is that Diana's soared as a single iconic figure both in negative and positive ways whereas I think with Kate, we're going to see more of a united team with William and Kate. Just as Cher went on to become somewhat iconic without Sonny, Wills and Kate I think will always be iconic more as a team. I've noticed over the past year how now its a lot more Victoria and Daniel and they make a good team together without being reduced to come and go celebrities.. William and Kate and their family together I think will move them away from celebrity like status and restore the aura of majesty to royalty while still very much keeping in touch with the people. To me that's a very positive thing for the BRF in the future.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
. . . . . . Wills and Kate I think will always be iconic more as a team. I've noticed over the past year how now its a lot more Victoria and Daniel and they make a good team together without being reduced to come and go celebrities.
That is a very perceptive analagy. William and Kate could do a lot worse than to follow their lead. But their lead is a young couple in love and sharing it with those they meet in the course of their lives. Now William and Kate are engaged they can just be themselves and don't have to hide how they feel about each other and just like the Swede's, the staid old British are not immune from falling in love with love.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think one way too that the popularity that surrounds Kate will be immensely different than Diana's is that Diana's soared as a single iconic figure both in negative and positive ways whereas I think with Kate, we're going to see more of a united team with William and Kate. Just as Cher went on to become somewhat iconic without Sonny, Wills and Kate I think will always be iconic more as a team. I've noticed over the past year how now its a lot more Victoria and Daniel and they make a good team together without being reduced to come and go celebrities.. William and Kate and their family together I think will move them away from celebrity like status and restore the aura of majesty to royalty while still very much keeping in touch with the people. To me that's a very positive thing for the BRF in the future.
You make good points about chemistry and majesty. Unfortunately those points are very subjective. While I find Victoria and Daniel to be a couple that appears to be very much in love I don't get the same vibe from William and Kate. There are others that would disagree with me.

I will say that if the monarchy comes down to just two people then the institution itself may be in big trouble. I also have not seen anything to indicate that William and Kate will/are doing anything differently than the way things are currently going. I feel like these same grand ideas of changing the monarchy were also qualities attributed to the Charles/Diana marriage. The media and public thought that they were a couple very much in love. It is too soon to tell if William and Kate can make a go of it. By the way I am not advocating a break-up just trying to point out that for the most part we only know what the media is telling us and they are not unbiased sources.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Serene Highness

There are different kinds of "being in love," surely. Prince William and Kate are in love, you can see it in their constant attention to each other, the way they follow each others' cues, their smiles. It may not be the kind of supreme romantic love that feels as if it's destiny (do Victoria and Daniel give off that vibe? I don't know them very well), but when a couple has been together 8 years, and their relationship dates back to college, there's a good deal of "buddy-ness" that usually sticks in the relationship.

I'd like to think that William writes her love notes and calls her angel, as Bertie did Elizabeth, but I somehow doubt it. I think that Prince William is very perceptive about his role and his wife's future role, and that Kate Middleton is a very astute young woman. They'll figure it out.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
There are different kinds of "being in love," surely. Prince William and Kate are in love, you can see it in their constant attention to each other, the way they follow each others' cues, their smiles. It may not be the kind of supreme romantic love that feels as if it's destiny (do Victoria and Daniel give off that vibe? I don't know them very well), but when a couple has been together 8 years, and their relationship dates back to college, there's a good deal of "buddy-ness" that usually sticks in the relationship.

I'd like to think that William writes her love notes and calls her angel, as Bertie did Elizabeth, but I somehow doubt it. I think that Prince William is very perceptive about his role and his wife's future role, and that Kate Middleton is a very astute young woman. They'll figure it out.
That is part of my point. While you see "loving gestures" I don't. Does not make me wrong or even you wrong. Just a difference of opinion. Her future popularity is determined off people buying her ability to be an asset to the royal family by doing royal duties and genuinely loving her spouse. Whether or not that will happen is still an open book. The media is in the honeymoon stage where the two of them can do no wrong. One day that will all change and when it does the media could turn on them very harshly. They have yet to experience in major criticism in their relationship so I don't know how prepared they will be when the media tides turn.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Aristocracy

Or perhaps they do not publicly discuss such matters as...love notes they wrote to one another
Old 03-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Whether or not William and Catherine show more love than other royals is not the subject of this thread.

Let's get back on topic.

Catherine Middleton: Will she become more popular than Diana?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Whether or not William and Catherine show more love than other royals is not the subject of this thread.

Let's get back on topic.

Catherine Middleton: Will she become more popular than Diana?
I get what you are saying. I guess I just feel that one of the reasons for Diana's popularity in the beginning was the love that the media thought she shared with Charles.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:22 AM
Nobility

I dont think they have to behave like victoria and daniel kissing all the time. If you look at Daniel he doesnt interact with the people very much, he just keep on smiling, and smiling. They are engaged for two years and married for 9 months, we really cant say we are impressed with Daniel. No need to kiss each other again and again to be in love. Sometimes victoria and daniel are a bit annoying. it's too much for my taste ! William and Kate have to show they care for the others, the crowds, the people they meet, victoria and daniel show they care for each other, and for daniel more for victoria than for the other. William and Kate are perfect and in love.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana