The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Kate coverage is picking up a bit. It's just 2 months to the wedding and all the major US networks who have entertainment shows are beginning to at least have a sentence or two in their nightly broadcasts. They're (the networks) all running the wedding, as far as I am aware, so mentioning Kate and PW constitutes free advertising for the coming extravaganza.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Gentry

princess diana was so special. i think we shouldn't compare kate to her as kate is from a different background and royalty is viewed differently now than it was 30 years ago. they've become celebrities really...

Old 02-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by solsol View Post
princess diana was so special. i think we shouldn't compare kate to her as kate is from a different background and royalty is viewed differently now than it was 30 years ago. they've become celebrities really...

Prior to Diana the royals were a class apart from celebrities - there were celebrities and then there were royals - but her popularity reduced them to celebrity status only.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Prior to Diana the royals were a class apart from celebrities - there were celebrities and then there were royals - but her popularity reduced them to celebrity status only.
Iluvbertie, I agree Diana, Princess of Wales was more a celebrity than a royal. But I do not think royals today are now degraded to that status of celebrity because of Princess Diana. Today royals can choose how they want the public to know about them and after Princess Diana death how to treat the press.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that Kate and William have both shown that they can handle the press. They don't cater to the press/public's demand for information about their private lives, which I think is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Today royals can choose how they want the public to know about them and after Princess Diana death how to treat the press.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Iluvbertie, I agree Diana, Princess of Wales was more a celebrity than a royal. But I do not think royals today are now degraded to that status of celebrity because of Princess Diana. Today royals can choose how they want the public to know about them and after Princess Diana death how to treat the press.

The press, when it doesn't get stories, goes after the royals though now in ways that they simply wouldn't have done pre-Diana, Sarah and the 80s when they were fed stories by royals. Now, if the royals don't play ball they will simply write damaging articles about them.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The press, when it doesn't get stories, goes after the royals though now in ways that they simply wouldn't have done pre-Diana, Sarah and the 80s when they were fed stories by royals. Now, if the royals don't play ball they will simply write damaging articles about them.
Well last Fall Anchorman Brian Williams from NBC interviewed Prince Charles and the prince told Mr. Williams that he does not read the newspaper because of that. I don't know of too many royals making comments against the damaging articles. I think after I saw a movie by a British woman photographer (that made a living for 17 years) taking pictures of Diana, Princess of Wales. The photographer was respectful of the princess. She was helping Princess Diana put together a lawsuit against the press when she died in 1997. I will always wonder if that was the reason for Princess Diana's statement to the press. Something like "Just what till you see what I am going to do next." Princess Caroline of Monaco won a law suit against the German press.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Well last Fall Anchorman Brian Williams from NBC interviewed Prince Charles and the prince told Mr. Williams that he does not read the newspaper because of that. I don't know of too many royals making comments against the damaging articles. I think after I saw a movie by a British woman photographer (that made a living for 17 years) taking pictures of Diana, Princess of Wales. The photographer was respectful of the princess. She was helping Princess Diana put together a lawsuit against the press when she died in 1997. I will always wonder if that was the reason for Princess Diana's statement to the press. Something like "Just what till you see what I am going to do next." Princess Caroline of Monaco won a law suit against the German press.

The royals don't comment on the damaging articles but that doesn't mean they don't read them or know about them. Commenting would just add to the damage that is being done.

Caroline's lawsuit was about intrusive photos - not damaging articles based on a flimsy premise - just look at the articles about Andrew due to his being photographed with an unsavoury character.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate has every chance of surpassing Diana's popularity. Kate is here, now, cute, educated, and if we're lucky, Kate and the PW will be lucky in love and be happily married for 50 or 60 years. That's a lot of time for goodwill over about 3 generations to come.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Kate has every chance of surpassing Diana's popularity.
Its possible though it has yet to be seen. Kate isn't generating the same buzz Diana did which is good imo. That level of popularity is too much. I just hope she has a happy married life and performs her duties well.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

That would be Jayne Fincher. Besides being a fine photographer, she's also a true professional. I think that she got out of photographing Diana--perhaps a few months or a year before her death--because it sickened her to see how the Princess was treated by other photographers.

Quote:
I think after I saw a movie by a British woman photographer (that made a living for 17 years) taking pictures of Diana, Princess of Wales. The photographer was respectful of the princess. She was helping Princess Diana put together a lawsuit against the press when she died in 1997.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
That would be Jayne Fincher. Besides being a fine photographer, she's also a true professional. I think that she got out of photographing Diana--perhaps a few months or a year before her death--because it sickened her to see how the Princess was treated by other photographers.
Yes, that is her name. She was the only woman photographer following the princess. She said her hardest day photographing was Diana, Princess of Wales funeral.

But getting back on topic. Ms. Middleton has it all the characters to be as popular as Princess Diana, but she stays in the background. Catherine will stay there if she wants her marriage to work. Diana, Princess of Wales when she let the common person into her private life and her high profile causes became an icon. Catherine living through Princess Diana's tragic life will be smart and stay in the background her whole royal life. So to the topic of this thread Diana, Princess of Wales will stay the more popular princess.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Think Diana became "Popular " I Think Catherine will be "effective"
Old 03-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post

I agree, I think it will be a different world for Catherine...
Old 03-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
What do you mean by effective? Do you mean charity wise or royal family wise? I ask because while I have seen how well she will do on a walk about; which I think will be fine for the royal family. After all we now know she can flip a pancake and the media will get excited about it. I have not yet seen the charity aspects of royal life.

Also as an American I personally feel the media coverage is too much for William and Kate. We don't need daily updates about them. I don't even know if that many people are interested in them. The situation almost reminds me of Victoria and David Beckham's arrival. The press got all excited and the public could have cared less.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well maybe the excitement will die down after the wedding... ?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
Well maybe the excitement will die down after the wedding... ?

30 years ago, this close to the wedding, everyone at my place of work was talking about it and the kids were excited about it - now most of the staff don't care and the kids asked me this morning 'what wedding'. There doesn't seem to be the same excitment - even compared to Mary's wedding that we had 30 years ago this far out. Surprising to me considering that we have far greater TV and other media coverage available - or maybe because there is so much it is possible to avoid the news etc if you want to.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really think she will become more popular than Diana (at Diana's end of life anyway)
Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
30 years ago, this close to the wedding, everyone at my place of work was talking about it and the kids were excited about it - now most of the staff don't care and the kids asked me this morning 'what wedding'. There doesn't seem to be the same excitment - even compared to Mary's wedding that we had 30 years ago this far out. Surprising to me considering that we have far greater TV and other media coverage available - or maybe because there is so much it is possible to avoid the news etc if you want to.
Absolutely agree,unfortunately the people are much more indifferent!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Given what we've seen of Kate so far, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
I really think she will become more popular than Diana (at Diana's end of life anyway)

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana