The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
William and Harry have made statements about letting their mother rest in peace. Its the rest of us (or some of us) that can't move on.
I disagree - if they really wanted to let their mother rest in peace they wouldn't talk about her every time they do an interview. They won't let her rest in peace so it is a double standard to ask her fans to do so.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Not use designers associated with Diana, not associate with charities that Diana is associated with? That's a little bit much don't you think? If she likes a Oldfield or Versace design and wears a dress, I would imagine she would because 1) she likes the dress and 2) it looks good on her not because 3) Oldfield designed a dress for Diana. The same with a particular charity. And for the record, I think the same for Camilla in regards to her jewels, clothes and charities.

Why doesn't she just Denounce Diana in an interview?

Again, the press will try to rehash the Diana Chronicles but I think Kate will steer clear of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I disagree - if they really wanted to let their mother rest in peace they wouldn't talk about her every time they do an interview. They won't let her rest in peace so it is a double standard to ask her fans to do so.
I am bordering on speechless. Frankly, I have always found you to be somewhat objective except when it comes to William and/or Diana. You are certainly entitled to your opinions and continuing this discussion certainly isn't going to change your opinion or mine.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
She doesn't need to make a public, verbal statement but be more subtle than that e.g. use designers not associated with Diana, get involved in charities with no connection to Diana, do things Diana loathed etc. That kind of statement is what I meant.
I don't see that she should do any of the kind. Any association with Diana is purely in the minds of the press and the public who choose to see an association and I don't think that should become Catherine's problem.
Would she do as you suggest, then I think she would be reprimanded for trying too hard to not be like Diana.

Quote:
Every interview?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
...I have always found you to be somewhat objective except when it comes to William and/or Diana. You are certainly entitled to your opinions and continuing this discussion certainly isn't going to change your opinion or mine.
I think I will follow your example, it's becoming quite senseless to me.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I don't see that she should do any of the kind. Any association with Diana is purely in the minds of the press and the public who choose to see an association and I don't think that should become Catherine's problem.
Would she do as you suggest, then I think she would be reprimanded for trying too hard to not be like Diana.

Every interview?
Yes - every interview I have ever heard them do they bring their mother into it. They won't let her rest in peace. Sure think about her every day but they don't have to tell us that they do.

She should try hard not to be too like Diana.

Sure she can use the designers but then she should expect to be compared to Diana. She will be photographed in say a Versace dress and beside her will be the photo of Diana wearing such a design.

However, if she doesn't wear those designs then she can't be compared can she?

The public won't let Diana rest because the princes keep her in the forefront of their lives.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Aristocracy

Catherine will not be as popular as Diana...Catherine's modus operandi as has been revealed these past eight years and unlike Diana she is very discreet. Although I believe her diffidence will thaw out as she settles in her role...

Nevertheless to have your husband's deceased mother treated as an idol that you are relentlessly expected to replicate yourself after can become quite annoying even for the most humble person. Especially if it goes on for the next 30 years...or maybe William and Catherine have already worked out a strategy.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes - every interview I have ever heard them do they bring their mother into it. They won't let her rest in peace. Sure think about her every day but they don't have to tell us that they do.
That doesn't mean they have mentioned her in every interview they have ever given.

Quote:
She should try hard not to be too like Diana.
I don't see how she is too like Diana.

Quote:
Sure she can use the designers but then she should expect to be compared to Diana. She will be photographed in say a Versace dress and beside her will be the photo of Diana wearing such a design.

However, if she doesn't wear those designs then she can't be compared can she?
That will be the doing of the press that wants to recreate and the peopple who want to compare will buy into it. If I would see her in a Versace dress I wouldn't think "oh look, she is trying to copy Diana". I would think "she is wearing a Versace gown" and then look at whether I would find it flattering on her etc..
In my opinion it is really the problem of the people who choose to see it in the comparative way.

Quote:
The public won't let Diana rest because the princes keep her in the forefront of their lives.
And I think that is an exaggeration.

So overall I strongly disagree with your opinion and now I am really done.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've thought no,but actually her popularity will be growing,I do think.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...copyKates.html
Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Aristocracy

You guys kill me! Lol! Often I think you are kidding for how mad you seem to get when someone else has an opposing opinion to yours. Unless they are being vulgar or tossing around f-bombs what's the big deal? Why try to shut down and delete those people?

I think KM is absolutely nothing like Diana and will never be as popular. Yet why even have people thinking she is trying to follow her in any way? Why give a ring that has so much misery and infamy tied to it? (I read the ring was originally kept after her death by Harry? If this is true was it willed to Harry?) Why not steer clear of classic Diana designers at least for a while and find some young, new designers, and set her own style?

Even bringing his uncle into the ceremony is fine with me, but I hope he will be talking about the couple, not Diana, or using it as a platform to get at the royal family when it is not the venue.

You can't really compare the Linley's because they married something like ten years before Princess Margaret passed away. We have no idea what Diana would think of KM. She might have been against the ring going to his future wife. Perhaps it would have been better to pass that to a daughter,etc. to leave more time between it being used as an engagement ring. Either way that is done now, so they should move forward and set their own path as much as they can.

KM certainly doesn't need to denounce Diana in any way, yet she never even knew her. What she said in the interview about wishing she could have met her was just fine, and it's enough that everyone knows Diana was his mother. It could end there for now, no more ties are needed.

I like what Zonk said about thinking of Diana on the wedding day because she died so young and is missing that day. Diana was never a favorite of mine but I think many will be thinking that way whether they liked her, or not. Prince William need not bash anyone over the head with it on his wedding day, it's already a given for most....
Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Aristocracy

Enough with with the ring...you speak about it as if it has some magical powers:

"If one discovers the password of the powerful ring it will grant its possessor any wish thus the awesome sorcery of the great, wonderful, unequaled and most popular Diana, Princess of Wales; however the possessor must be engaged to one of her two sons..."
Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
I think KM is absolutely nothing like Diana and will never be as popular. Yet why even have people thinking she is trying to follow her in any way? Why give a ring that has so much misery and infamy tied to it? (I read the ring was originally kept after her death by Harry? If this is true was it willed to Harry?) Why not steer clear of classic Diana designers at least for a while and find some young, new designers, and set her own style?
Maybe because the ring doesn't bring up memories of misery for him. Maybe because he wants to honor Kate by giving her something that means so much. According to rumors, the ring was willed to Harry, but both men agreed that it would go to the one that married first.

From what I see, Kate hasn't used a designer that has been associated with Diana (at least not yet). Most of the clothes she has worn have been from lesser known designers - Issa seems to be her go to designer.

And honestly, it's a bit unrealistic to expect Kate to rearrange her life just so she won't have to be compared to Diana. If she likes a dress, she shouldn't have to worry about whether Diana used the designer first. Or whether she'll be compared because she ate at a place Diana once did (as was the case with her mom and sister last week). Kate is just trying to live her life, and it's sad that the media and certain members of the public feel the need to constantly compare the two women

Thanks, Mia Mae and Skippy.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
She doesn't need to make a public, verbal statement but be more subtle than that e.g. use designers not associated with Diana, get involved in charities with no connection to Diana, do things Diana loathed etc. That kind of statement is what I meant.
Well, if Kate is going to try to wear English designers, there are only so many at that level.

I dont personally think Kate needs to 'make a statement' verbal or otherwise. Just get on with being the best wife/mother/princess she can be. In the end that's all anyone could ask for, no?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy

I feel no need to compare them. As I wrote above she is nothing like Diana, not in looks, not in charisma, not in style, nothing. Yet people here were discussing the possibility that they are bringing too much Diana to the "show". How discussing that in a Diana/KM thread is out of line, I don't know. Why it brings out such rudeness I am bewildered.

If KM suddenly showed up in a big poofy Diana dress for the wedding what would you guys do? There are other designers, and she doesn't have to stick to just British designers, that Diana never touched. Vivienne Westwood, did she ever dress Diana? Can't see it. She has one very pretty wedding dress I saw that I will post in the wedding musings thread.

Anyone who is stepping into this position would be doing themselves a disservice to try to recreate the past, but the pressure to live up to Diana will still be there. They do not live in a vacuum. Unless PW and KM can sever that delusional expectation by the press, or whoever, I see it as a problem. There is nothing wrong with suggesting KM find her own style. Shouldn't those who like Kate be encouraging that?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

A big part of the problem is the vacuum in the BRF, charisma and hard work wise by the spouses of QEII's family. Andrew is divorced. Sophie seems minimally involved. Camilla all kinds of baggage and not exactly a hard worker. Princess Michael way out at the fringe. The Duchess of G getting on in years. So the press and the public are looking for a young, fresh, glamorous Princess. It is to be expected, IMO. The fact that the last young, fresh, glamorous Princess was Diana is more incidental to the story.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Courtier

Very Well Put, I agree... I hope Kate makes her own way and shows everyone she can do it right and her way..
Old 01-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
Anyone who is stepping into this position would be doing themselves a disservice to try to recreate the past, but the pressure to live up to Diana will still be there. They do not live in a vacuum. Unless PW and KM can sever that delusional expectation by the press, or whoever, I see it as a problem. There is nothing wrong with suggesting KM find her own style. Shouldn't those who like Kate be encouraging that?
Of course she should find her own style (which she seems to be doing), I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise.

I'm sure there may be times when Kate wears something by a designer associated with Diana, and I don't see the problem with that. As others have said, there are only so many British designers and there are bound to be overlaps. The only way I'll worry, is if she starts replacing her entire wardrobe with Diana's favorite designers. And I don't see her ever doing that. She has her own style, and I think she'll keep it (and hopefully learn what does and doesn't work on her figure).

It's the media that's trying to recreate the past, not William or Kate.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Gentry

Please, please let the world's press "get a life" and leave her be! At least for several years. Hopefully she's much more stable than Diana and able to deal with it more sensibly. I hope that she never, ever talks to the press! Do the nice photo shoots and charities and such, but please don't let the press create another "mega star"--leave that to the Beckhams and the rest of the celebrity crowd. Get some dignity back in the royal family.

Personally, I hope Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter and Zara are all given some "space" and allowed some privacy. Obviously Zara has earned some of the attention from her sport, Peter is a private citizen who happens to be grandson, but the still get attention. I hope that having several young married [or coupled] royals and near-royals will take some of the heat off William & Kate.

Sadly, no one is very excited by an 85 year old woman and her 90 year old husband, nor there 60-something son and his second wife. That means the press slobbers over the younger ones.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

If only that were true....

The Press are no respecter of persons, regardless of age, beauty or any other consideration, especially when it comes to Royals.

The "circus" will come to town sooner than we think.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The public won't let Diana rest because the princes keep her in the forefront of their lives
I think there's nothing wrong with Diana's memory remaining a big part of William and Harry's private lives - she was their mother, after all.

Talking about her during interviews when it's relevant is natural, too, I think. Again, she was their mother, not some lady they met a couple of times when they were younger. There are a lot of questions the princes are asked where Diana could come up, even if the question wasn't specifically about her. But I think it's worth remembering that there are many, many times when William and Harry talk about Diana because they HAVE been asked a question specifically about her. They're not randomly injecting her into the conversation.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Aristocracy

Reply: "That's personal" or "I don't want to talk about it."

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana