The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #721  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I don't think anyone should ever try to aspire to be like Diana. Diana was not a person to emulate IMO. Nor was Diana really as wildly 'popular' as people seem to believe. She was a scandal, she gained notoriety - not the same thing as 'popularity' - and it was the scandal that 'sold' the papers.
That is the opinion of a minority. The general opinion is that Diana was a victim of the Windsors, especially her husband, and that all her problems stemmed from the lack of love in her marriage, the coldness of her in-laws and the fact that her hausband cheated her from the day they were married. It is more than a human being can bear. People identified with Diana and took part.

I have the feeling that what Kate inspires is indifference. She will never be as popular as Diana because there are no bonds between her and the middle classes. What on earth can she do to make them like her? Do some charity? It takes more than that. She is an upper class spoiled girl who never had a decent job. She did all wrong from the beginning. Diana was humble and compassionate, and that is something you cannot feign.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #722  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Nice Nofret's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 515
I'm with Tyger;

no, I realy don't think, that a lot of people still think Diana was a victim of the Windsors; I'm sure they know, it takes two to get it all wrong.

I cant see, where you get your idea from, that Diana was "better" than Kate is; we don't know a thing about Kate .. and Diana, well - my opinion of her isn't as high as yours
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #723  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
That is the opinion of a minority. The general opinion is that Diana was a victim of the Windsors, especially her husband, and that all her problems stemmed from the lack of love in her marriage, the coldness of her in-laws and the fact that her hausband cheated her from the day they were married. It is more than a human being can bear. People identified with Diana and took part.

I have the feeling that what Kate inspires is indifference. She will never be as popular as Diana because there are no bonds between her and the middle classes. What on earth can she do to make them like her? Do some charity? It takes more than that. She is an upper class spoiled girl who never had a decent job. She did all wrong from the beginning. Diana was humble and compassionate, and that is something you cannot feign.
There goes the bashing again and you do not have evidence for your claims.
Reply With Quote
  #724  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Diana, IMO, was a spoiled upper class girl who never had a decent job before she married.
Kate has someone to be compared to, Diana never.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #725  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
There goes the bashing again and you do not have evidence for your claims.
It is not bashing! And neither you have evidence of anything you say as an opinion.

Diana worked in a kindergarden. She married at only 21.
And honestly, I don´t believe the story that Kate worked in the family business". Is it allowed here without being attacked?
Reply With Quote
  #726  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Kate went to university and then worked for her family.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #727  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
It is not bashing! And neither you have evidence of anything you say as an opinion.

Diana worked in a kindergarden. She married at only 21.
And honestly, I don´t believe the story that Kate worked in the family business". Is it allowed here without being attacked?
You state your opinion as facts, that is the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #728  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:04 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Diana was not respected.
To you and some others do not state your opinion like its a fact. I do agaree that some of Diana's action should not be emulated but others like her charity work and the way she did them definetly should.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #729  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 29
Not only did Kate go to University,she also worked while she was going. That shows me that kate is made of some strong stuff. Usually children with very rich parents rarely work while going to college. So the ones that keep bashing her because she did not have the career of their choice really needs to get over it. I think Diana was fine for her time and Kate will also be great. I bet those same people who keep bashing Kate endlessly would have done the same to Diana .Because it is more a poor reflection of them that anything else.
Since leaving college she has worked a couple of different places plus her family very sucesessful business .(That was a great choice in my opinion)
Reply With Quote
  #730  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 1,300
Catherine is older, better educated and comes from a much more stable family background. While I do think Diana was treated wrongly by her husband and possibly the Windsors (simple because they did not know what to make of her) she also came from an unstable family and very possibly felt a lack of affection from an early age. I think she learned to cope with her/those problems in her own fashion for survival. Her coping mechanisms were not always the best. I think Katherine has a much more mature and solid foundation from which to build upon. I would not want her to emulate Diana because she was a very unhappy person, though she did much good, and it is unfortunate that her life ended too early. I think she would have contributed many more positive things in her maturity. It is rather sad that much of what is left are the unhappy things in her life because I do think her life was getting better. I think Catherine has much more to fall back upon that Diana ever did. The marriage of Charles and Diana was a sad affair, IMO because both were very emotionally needy people who were not able to provide in any way what the other needed. Diana was also very young and romantic and to put it bluntly had no idea that she was coming into the marriage for primarily breeding purposes. It was no wonder she was bereft and felt alone.
Reply With Quote
  #731  
Old 01-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
That is the opinion of a minority.
I had written, in part: Nor was Diana really as wildly 'popular' as people seem to believe. She was a scandal, she gained notoriety - not the same thing as 'popularity' - and it was the scandal that 'sold' the papers.

I'm not sure that is a minority opinion but, of course, I have no proof.

Quote:
The general opinion is that Diana was a victim of the Windsors, especially her husband, and that all her problems stemmed from the lack of love in her marriage, the coldness of her in-laws and the fact that her hausband cheated her from the day they were married. It is more than a human being can bear. People identified with Diana and took part.
That is the story Diana told and that is the story a lot of people believe because they are not inclined to look into the situation. If one looks into the situation it turns out to be quite another situation than what Diana said it was. I'll say this for Diana, she read her public to a tee and in this she was brilliant!

Quote:
I have the feeling that what Kate inspires is indifference. She will never be as popular as Diana because there are no bonds between her and the middle classes. What on earth can she do to make them like her? Do some charity? It takes more than that. She is an upper class spoiled girl who never had a decent job. She did all wrong from the beginning. Diana was humble and compassionate, and that is something you cannot feign.
Diana was far from humble and she did feign a lot of things, from the get go. Those bonds between Diana and the middle classes - how did Diana forge them? What did Diana do to get the middle class to like her?

Why shouldn't the public like Kate? What has she done not to be liked? She is in fact part of the middle class - Diana was not. This is a contradiction to me. How is that? An aristocrat is liked as having a bond with the middle class - and yet someone from the middle class inspires indifference.
Reply With Quote
  #732  
Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
To you and some others do not state your opinion like its a fact. I do agaree that some of Diana's action should not be emulated but others like her charity work and the way she did them definetly should.
The conversation was about popularity. I indicated that Catherine should aspire to being respected - as Diana was not respected. Had she been respected none of the media reports would have been happening. Diana's 'popularity' was at root sensationalism with salacious aspects. Pretty unsavory.

Diana's charity works and the way she did them is another questionable area. Having someone who is the center of 'notoriety' as one's patron has its drawbacks - as the director of that hospital decided when he removed her as its patron - I do not have the details but I recall it happening.
Reply With Quote
  #733  
Old 01-02-2011, 05:43 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
The conversation was about popularity. I indicated that Catherine should aspire to being respected - as Diana was not respected. Had she been respected none of the media reports would have been happening.
And I repeat that you shouldn't state your opinion like its a fact. The media hardly respects anyone. They report and publish stories that sell.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #734  
Old 01-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,329
Let's try to keep the thread on topic.

There is no need to relive the Diana Chronicles (her marriage, her respectablity, etc.).

Whether one wants to accept it or not, Diana was popular (it can be argued that it was negative vs. positive) but that isn't the subject of this thread.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #735  
Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Lady Ann's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IN THE CITY, United States
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
In that she was spectacularly successful. One wonders what would have become of her had Amanda Knatchbull said yes to Charles' proposal in the spring of 1980. Charles was being pressured to get a wife - Diana was keen on getting a husband - the Perfect Storm!

As for Catherine, its clear she loves William - it appears that they are both marrying their first love. Interesting - and they have had plenty of time to shake down the relationship. I think Catherine's intellect, education and artistic sensibilities (Italy!) will stand her in good stead as princess (or duchess, or lady - whatever they do with that). Catherine is older, has sound family ties and possesses inner resources that would have enabled her to have a professional life outside of being Royal. Catherine had a future whichever way the cookie crumbled.

In the end, I think Catherine will command more respect than Diana. I don't believe Diana's 'popularity' was really that in the larger scheme of things. She was more of a scandal really - that's not popularity. Diana reduced everything to salacious gossip and my view of her was that she had become an embarrassment. I don't think Catherine would ever engage in anything that low-brow - that's my 'read' of her. I may be wrong but I have hopes that she will conduct herself in an upright fashion. She has had good role models in her parents - and William is close with them - so it bodes well. I have a suspicion Catherine will be popular with the Queen. We'll see.
I agree with all you have said here... IMO Cathrerine will fall in line just as she should we will not see outlandish acts splashed all over the papers and TV. I think she has been forwarned of how to act and will be more then happy to do as she is told.
__________________
Lady Ann
Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face…~ George Eliot ~
Reply With Quote
  #736  
Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I agree with all you have said here... IMO Cathrerine will fall in line just as she should we will not see outlandish acts splashed all over the papers and TV. I think she has been forwarned of how to act and will be more then happy to do as she is told.

That is what the RF have done throughout the 20th century but the incomers haven't always obliged once in the fold. No guarantee that she will either, if she doesn't get her own way at times.
Reply With Quote
  #737  
Old 01-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Picmajik's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

The current generation of Crown Princesses are under-educated (i.e., without master's degree, which is very important to me personally). Sadly, Crown Princess Masako has not completed her graduate degree. Ms. Middleton will join a downgraded circle of housewives with titles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I don't think all of them excepting Princess Masako are under-educated:how about Princess Leticia who worked as a journalist before marriage.After all Kate has a university degree
Isn't Princess Masako one of the few with post-graduate work? She graduated magna cum laude from Harvard and started her thesis at Oxford. I believe most of the crown princesses have at least an undergraduate degree but I'm not sure about some of them. Education, maturity, and family support will all play a part in dealing with the media and stress from any issues that may come up. Catherine's stable family life and maturity level will help her here, assets that Diana lacked (I liked her too when all this started but it's obvious now there were issues that should have been addressed). No one could have foreseen the media frenzy surrounding Diana and even if she did bring it on by courting the press it would still be a double edged sword, difficult to control.

I think Catherine has already shown better judgment by not commenting on anything during their relationship even when it appeared to be off. She has not given the press too much information, either good or bad to sway opinion to her side. I hope she will learn from Diana's mistakes.
__________________
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read.--Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #738  
Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 91
I don't know if anyone will ever be popular than Diana but time will tell.

I find Kate comes across as a strong, confident woman with intellect. She's kept herself out of trouble since it was known she was dating Prince William and has managed to hold her own from that time up until now. I think they are the perfect match! They look great together.
Kate also has a strong partner in William. Unlike his father, William seems outgoing and has great interaction with people.

I think Kate would do great! She's great for the monarchy at this time. I think alongside William she could achieve wonderful things. People will love her of course but as much as Diana? It's a tough one. I hope so because I honestly believe she could be the breath of fresh air the monarchy needs right now.
Reply With Quote
  #739  
Old 01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcurious View Post
I don't know if anyone will ever be popular than Diana but time will tell.

I find Kate comes across as a strong, confident woman with intellect. She's kept herself out of trouble since it was known she was dating Prince William and has managed to hold her own from that time up until now. I think they are the perfect match! They look great together.
Kate also has a strong partner in William. Unlike his father, William seems outgoing and has great interaction with people.

I think Kate would do great! She's great for the monarchy at this time. I think alongside William she could achieve wonderful things. People will love her of course but as much as Diana? It's a tough one. I hope so because I honestly believe she could be the breath of fresh air the monarchy needs right now.

At 28 Charles was outgoing and interected brilliantly with the people.

The monarchy had a 'breath of fresh air' with Sarah Ferguson.
Reply With Quote
  #740  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:03 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
At 28 Charles was outgoing and interected brilliantly with the people.

The monarchy had a 'breath of fresh air' with Sarah Ferguson.
No, I do not ever remember dear Charles to be introverted.

The only vibe I get is that Catherine might turn out to be naturally "lazy." When I say lazy, I mean disinclined to activity or exertion; not shiftlessness. If that's the case, no one will be able to "make" her do things royal. She will probably do all she's asked in the beginning, but perhaps she will balk after just a few years -- especially if the becomes a mother. Just a vibe I get.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duchess of Cambridge: Family, Wealth and Background sara1981 The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 2610 Today 12:26 PM
Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings Zonk The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 5605 04-29-2011 07:00 AM
Which name do you prefer for Kate (Catherine) Middleton? ysbel Prince Harry and Prince William 78 06-10-2007 07:23 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll germany grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week poland state visit to norway prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess mary style queen juliana queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania in oslo royal fashion september 2016 spencers state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises