The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I am curious do you think that these changes are for the positive or for the negative?

Osipi, I think that while the "aloofness" works for the Queen it may not work for a more "modern" way of doing things. After all the Queen's "aloofness" centers around the times she grew-up in. The royal family was treated and behaved in a manner that no longer exists for the most part. Do you think otherwise?
I think that having an expectation of 'warmth and caring' from a person in that position is a mistake. Pleasant, polite, well-spoken - add in good grooming, always a plus - that seems as much as a 'public' has a right to. Maintaining boundaries is not 'old fashioned' - every celebrity worth their salt knows that the boundary between public and private is essential. Those who forget that line live exceedingly stressed lives - sometimes losing their sense of self, and being robbed of peace and normalcy in the private realm. I would suggest that what the public experienced with Diana was not normal nor healthy and should be striven to be avoided at all costs.

Regarding Catherine being a sea-change? Not in herself, or because of herself. She may wind up being the very best of royal wives - but because William, in choosing Catherine as his wife, breaks the 'deal' for being Royal. Unlike other commoners who have married into Royalty, she does not bring real-world accomplishments of any significance to the marriage - nor really does William. She does not stand in her own right - like does, say, oh, say Princess Maxima. At least Catherine is university educated - as Diana was not - but there is a de-intellectualizing of the Royal line happening, as well as other things, that leads one to surmise that the line might pass to another 'branch' of the family or simply get dropped altogether.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Majesty

Yes, I think so too. I can't see how a person can possibly stay "grounded" when they're seeing their lives through someone else's lenses. It's sad that we've become such an image-oriented society, but we have. I think that I'd rather be accused of being aloof rather than being known as someone who puts altogether too much emphasis into what kind of public impression I'm making. William and Kate have shown that they can live their lives quite well away from the spotlight. And surely those who genuinely care about the monarchy and care about them as people would want them not to be torn down by the same media that first builds them up; and I think that happens most to people who court the media. K & W should start as they intent to go on IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
it would be a positive step forward to emulate not only the Queen, but also many other senior royals who keep their private lives just that... private. ....Being a bit "aloof" and setting limits could be a very positive thing.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:38 AM
Aristocracy

QUOTE from Tyger: "I would suggest that what the public experienced with Diana was not normal nor healthy and should be striven to be avoided at all costs."

Absolutely agree, I bet if Diana could have went back in time she would have done things differently. Toward the end I recall Diana at some event she was at where she just breaks down in tears with everyone staring and cameras on her and that said everything. She seemed to have everything and nothing all at once. Those extreme highs and lows and so much praise and blame and just no personal space with the press would terrorize anyone.

If Kate/Catherine did manage to "achieve" that level of attention suddenly we all know the press would behave in the same way. So in my mind it is good she does not seem anywhere near as likely, or motivated to do that. As of now anyway.

I have fun reading about the royal/princely families and take most things good or bad with a grain of salt and trust my instincts which are usually right, so I don't even need that so invasive, too sugary sweet, or too harsh reporting as there was with Diana.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Regarding Catherine being a sea-change? Not in herself, or because of herself. She may wind up being the very best of royal wives - but because William, in choosing Catherine as his wife, breaks the 'deal' for being Royal. Unlike other commoners who have married into Royalty, she does not bring real-world accomplishments of any significance to the marriage - nor really does William. She does not stand in her own right - like does, say, oh, say Princess Maxima. At least Catherine is university educated - as Diana was not - but there is a de-intellectualizing of the Royal line happening, as well as other things, that leads one to surmise that the line might pass to another 'branch' of the family or simply get dropped altogether.
I personally feel we haven't yet seen the accomplishments of Catherine. She came to London to work but instead she was hounded and harrassed by the media till she quitted her job and London and "retired" to her parents' home and firm. As I see it, she tried very hard not to attract negative comments for what she did and in doing so she attracted negative comments about her lack of doing something.

It still remains to be seen what kind of personality Catherine has once she can do things that interest her in public. I mean, noone in his right mind goes to Italy and then studies history of art for 4 years if that person is not interested in art.

So I hope for pics of Catherine and William attending vernissages etc. I hope they'll give the media enough opportunities to photograph their love and their life as a young couple but I hope as well that their private life will remain just that: private and theirs alone.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Yes, I think so too. I can't see how a person can possibly stay "grounded" when they're seeing their lives through someone else's lenses. It's sad that we've become such an image-oriented society, but we have. I think that I'd rather be accused of being aloof rather than being known as someone who puts altogether too much emphasis into what kind of public impression I'm making. William and Kate have shown that they can live their lives quite well away from the spotlight.

But will they be allowed to?
I think the engagement may have changed many things in that regard; Kate is no longer just another girl dating William, but a presumably future queen.

I'm not so certain the press will back off just because they will try to stay out of the spotlight.
(Yes, Edward and Sophie manage, but only because nobody much cares, in their case. They never have been able to sell papers, at least in the USA.)

But William? He has been a media darling all his life, and now that he's marrying, I can't see the press bowing out politely to allow him to go about his business.

But I suppose time will tell.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I think William will be very firm about this. He has seen first hand the results of allowing the press to intrude into a person's life, and I suspect he might consider that the ultimate blame for his mother's death lies with the paparazzi photographers who were chasing her car. I think he will set very definite limits for the press and will not tolerate transgressions. We will see what William wants us to see of their lives, and no more. I would not underestimate his determination on this issue.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I think William will be very firm about this. He has seen first hand the results of allowing the press to intrude into a person's life, and I suspect he might consider that the ultimate blame for his mother's death lies with the paparazzi photographers who were chasing her car. I think he will set very definite limits for the press and will not tolerate transgressions. We will see what William wants us to see of their lives, and no more. I would not underestimate his determination on this issue.

What can he actually do to set limits for the press?
They do as they please, no matter what any of the RF say.

Sure, he can ask them to leave him and his wife alone, but if they ignore his request, he's helpless.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
What can he actually do to set limits for the press?
They do as they please, no matter what any of the RF say.

Sure, he can ask them to leave him and his wife alone, but if they ignore his request, he's helpless.
There's a limit to what they can do, but he's not helpless.

He can be aloof, not smile, not stop for photo-ops, set police perimeters way back from them at official events so the press pests can't hound them up close, have their press liaison people not give the press information about what they're doing, times of arrival and departure, etc. Generally not co-operate with the press, just issue press releases and pre-recorded interviews and be availasble only when it suits them. And complain and sue when there's a breach.

Bottom line: train the press; co-operate when they are being good puppies, and punish them when they are not.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think after almost 2 decades of the media sensationalizing the ins and outs of the lives of the BRF and treating them more as celebrities that live their lives in the public eye for the public's entertainment than representatives of a nation, it would be a positive step forward to emulate not only the Queen, but also many other senior royals who keep their private lives just that... private. If William and Catherine are to be the eventual King and Queen Consort of a nation perhaps the earliest they do set the groundwork as to what will and will not be acceptable as far as intrusion into their lives is best done now. Being a bit "aloof" and setting limits could be a very positive thing.
Agreed..I just think that once you open the door you can't close it again. So I have my doubts about whether or not they would be successful.

Tyger, I agree with your analysis of William and Kate. Although I would disagree about your caring comment. The royals should be seen as caring just don't go overboard. If they act indifferent then people would accuse them of being too "royal"
Old 01-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Serene Highness

Indifference is exactly the opposite way they should act.

They will need to show empathy [which seems like something so many can't practise nowdays ] in order to compel people.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Serene Highness

I don´t think she will be popular like Diana.
I have the fear that Kate will be unhappy. William loves her, but he is still a Windsor. And she has to be independent from him!

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 01-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Exclamation

Absolutely NOT!!! I'm sure the media will try to shove her down our throats as the new Diana, as they would anybody William marries, but I highly doubt she'll have the same effect on the world as Lady Di.

KATE HARDLY SELLING ANY MAGAZINES (Editor-In-Chief said this):
"Everyone hoped that Kate would be the new Kim Kardashian. Someone that almost guaranteed great sales,". "However, Kate turned out to be a disaster. She sold so few magazine that you shouldn't expect to see her face on another cover for a long time."

"She's no Diana for sure,". "In fact, she's not even a Kardashian. No one seems to care about her. For all the hype we are seeing on TV about the wedding, when it comes to getting someone to pay $3.99, you need to have a celebrity on the cover that is worth $3.99. I would argue Kate is a 99 cent star at best right now."

I think it's somewhat of a disgrace to compare the two, because Diana had a job before she married Charles, and Kate didn't. She seemed as though she was just waiting on a proposal.

FORMER CO-WORKER SAID THIS after she quit her job:
"Kate is a nice enough girl but she was never what you might call committed to the job. She never worked full-time and appeared to take an inordinate amount of time off to go jetting round the world with her boyfriend. It certainly rubbed a few people here up the wrong way. To be told she would be resting for a while 'looking at other things' didn't exactly come as a surprise. She has always been treated as a special case."
Old 01-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady In Texas View Post
Absolutely NOT!!! I'm sure the media will try to shove her down our throats as the new Diana, as they would anybody William marries, but I highly doubt she'll have the same effect on the world as Lady Di.

KATE HARDLY SELLING ANY MAGAZINES (Editor-In-Chief said this):
"Everyone hoped that Kate would be the new Kim Kardashian. Someone that almost guaranteed great sales,". "However, Kate turned out to be a disaster. She sold so few magazine that you shouldn't expect to see her face on another cover for a long time."

"She's no Diana for sure,". "In fact, she's not even a Kardashian. No one seems to care about her. For all the hype we are seeing on TV about the wedding, when it comes to getting someone to pay $3.99, you need to have a celebrity on the cover that is worth $3.99. I would argue Kate is a 99 cent star at best right now."

I think it's somewhat of a disgrace to compare the two, because Diana had a job before she married Charles, and Kate didn't. She seemed as though she was just waiting on a proposal.

FORMER CO-WORKER SAID THIS after she quit her job:
"Kate is a nice enough girl but she was never what you might call committed to the job. She never worked full-time and appeared to take an inordinate amount of time off to go jetting round the world with her boyfriend. It certainly rubbed a few people here up the wrong way. To be told she would be resting for a while 'looking at other things' didn't exactly come as a surprise. She has always been treated as a special case."
I think the era has changed from then also . We are a little too sophisticated too expect that anyone would become a media sensation by power of association and marriage. Diana was a special and extenuating case in point..
Old 01-01-2011, 01:34 PM

Oh, yeah, I agree with you about that. In this era, today's Royalty are Hollywood and A-List Celebrities.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Sorry you make me laught ; what job did Diana have prior to her wedding she was looking after some kiddies of family-friends .. for some hours a week - please, what job is that? it's Baby-sitting, I did that as a girl with 14years old

Kate was also waiting around to get married - but honestly it would have asked a lot of determination to get a carrier, in the position she was .. as girlfriend of wiliam - she hadn't much choices left.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
Sorry you make me laught ; what job did Diana have prior to her wedding she was looking after some kiddies of family-friends .. for some hours a week - please, what job is that? it's Baby-sitting, I did that as a girl with 14years old

Kate was also waiting around to get married - but honestly it would have asked a lot of determination to get a carrier, in the position she was .. as girlfriend of wiliam - she hadn't much choices left.
I tuly agree with this one......... but they just want to be considered for the normal award by by the world ;not taking servants and staff; it takes a healthy self esteem to get a job any job and keep it; even if that is baby sitting. Her marriage will be her career.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Kate had a job, and a better one than Dianas.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
it takes a healthy self esteem to get a job any job and keep it; even if that is baby sitting. Her marriage will be her career.
Yet we know from the evidence that Diana did not have a healthy self-esteem - her relationship to the press an example. Catherine appears to have it - she seems to have clear boundaries and knows where her priorities are - she is not playing to the press.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Courtier

Actual questions, not trying to make a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Kate had a job, and a better one than Dianas.
How long did Diana work? Kate seemed to work for only 3 months and for friends of her family. I don't remember but was Diana labeled work-shy? Did people have as many complaints or were as weary of Diana as they are of Kate?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

How long did Diana work? - I don't know.
Diana was a new thing, she was on the scene for a short time then became Charles' wife, there wasn't 9 years of waiting for an engagement and the public weren't that involved in the relationship as they are now.

Kate has/ still is as far as I know working for her family, Diana as someone said worked in a nursery for friends of her family.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana