The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think Kate will become more popular than Diana, times have changed and, sorry to be a bit morbid, Diana's popularity climaxed with her premature and tragic death.

Kate will be popular no so much in people's hearts but in terms of coverage. No other CP or future Queen will be able to touch her in that respect. Because of her place within the British monarchy, Kate will become one of the most photographed and recognizable women of her time, while all the Marys, Letizias, Maximas etc can only look on with open jaws.

Its a fact that the Brits are the only monarchy that known in almost every corner of the world, and Kate will be their flagship.

I absolutely agree.

I don't think Kate will be the icon Diana became. And I hope, for Kate's sake, that I am right. Her icon status ended up killing Diana in the end, as there would have been no car chase, etc, if not for the media.

My hope is that Kate will attain a steady popularity with the world but will maintain enough of a distance so that she does not have to contend with the monster of media intrusion that Diana had to deal with (and to be honest - Diana helped create the monster, at least initially).

I think the Duchess being almost a decade older than Diana when they each married will help Kate keep centred and she certainly appears to me to be very sure of herself and of who she is. (Please don't get me wrong, I adored Diana and miss her presence on the world "stage" to this day. But I don't put on rose-coloured glasses when discussing her, either.)

I am very confident that the new Duchess of Cambridge will "go the distance' and we will watch her being crowned Queen Consort next to King William IV. I think they put a lot of thought behind their decision and took the time to make sure she could handle the position and indeed, if she even wanted the position. I see her as accepting the position because she loves Prince William and he has an inescapable destiny but I think she'd have preferred him not to be the future King, but that just my opinion and I have no way of knowing if I am correct or not.:flowers:

I don't think Kate will be the icon Diana became. And I hope, for Kate's sake, that I am right. Her icon status ended up killing Diana in the end, as there would have been no car chase, etc, if not for the media.

I would argue that there would have been no car chase etc if not for her fans. Her fans killed Diana and no one else.

As a result I hope that Kate doesn't have that sort of fan base that prompts paparrazzi or others to chase her and kill her for a photo op.

I do hope that her popularity is more sane and normal and that will be the case unless she buys into the hype and thinks that she is more important than the institution into which she married.

I would argue that there would have been no car chase etc if not for her fans. Her fans killed Diana and no one else.

As a result I hope that Kate doesn't have that sort of fan base that prompts paparrazzi or others to chase her and kill her for a photo op.

I do hope that her popularity is more sane and normal and that will be the case unless she buys into the hype and thinks that she is more important than the institution into which she married.

While I do understand where your point of view is coming from, I would counterpoint that I split the blame 50/50 - on her fans and the media. Because her fans weren't the ones literally chasing her down that tunnel.

Ontopic I think it depends on how 'popularity' is measured. I don't think Catherine will (have to) endure the same thing, not in the least because she seems to be more subdued -but with more inner poise, a winner imo- and supportive of William.

Not ALL of Diana's fans ran out and bought copies of tabloid trash; I certainly never did. Some of her fans, and I have no idea how anyone could calculate percentages here, were responsible for feeding the media beast as well.

Nevertheless, I agree with the point you make, and also hope that Kate will not have that type of fan base with which Diana had to cope. I think they're starting the right way with the understated tone of the wedding, etc.

Well, I am getting a bit tired of the whole issue of Diana being accused of allways outstaging the other royals deliberatly. She merely dressed according to her age and as was expected of her. Fair or not, she was just much more beautiful, than any other lady of the family and could have worn a potato sack and being accused of eclipsing the Queen or Charles

The same can be said for Catherine. Her outfits are being discussed to death in these threads, and I have still to find ONE comment on Williams attire. Young, beautiful women, will always take the limelight over men in suits/tuxedos. The difference is here though, is that Catherines husband, don't seem to mind. Instead of being jealous of her, he seems very proud.

In my opinion, she will be as popular as her mother-in-law, but she will have more help navigating the media and have a supportive husband.

I agree with that. I think William learnt alot from watching what his mother went through and is very protective of Kate. I also don't think Kate wants to be another Diana! Her clothes etc will always be looked at. I do see in time the press turning on her as they had pre wedding with the whole waity Katie stuff. We will have to wait and see how she copes with this new life. Unlike Diana she has a husband who is far more protective and seems happy not to throw her in the deep end of things. I think the whole RF learnt some lessons with the Diana and Sarah years. Kate is older and has a very supportive family too which will help. We will of course get spikes in mass coverage like when she has a baby etc but I think she will be left alone to get along with things unlike Diana.

Not fastening her seat belt killed Diana, but I agree that if there hadn't been such an exaggerated interest in Diana the paps would not have been chasing her and Dodi would not have done this back entrance escape to avoid them.
It would be ideal if people would leave the Duchess of Cambridge a bit of space.
Today the DM is publishing her grammatical and spelling errors in a thank you letter she wrote. Perhaps this will mean that in the future she will give any letters she needs to write to a secretary to check.
No one expects a royal to write impeccably (the Duke of Windsor certainly didn't) but the Duchess went to a very good school and then to St Andrew's and it is expected that she should spell correctly. It is one word used wrongly, and the other mistake was adding an apostrophe which caused the following word to be wrongly spelt.
I think the Duchess will find that being royal and in the spotlight is not so attractive as it may have seemed before the marriage. With help she should survive and iit woulld be helpful if she can develop a thick skin to cope with what is surely to come.

Although this is a petty thing to make almost headlines in the DM it is a sample of what she will come up against in the future so it will be to her advantage to be strong and not fazed by criticism, she is certainly going to get it.

Agreed. As there are many people who admire and are happy for her, there are probably almost as many who are jealous and just waiting to sling arrows. I saw the letter referenced and it is quite easy when writing hurriedly, to use the wrong word or incorrect punctuation and it has nothing to do with what university one attended. Believe me, having worked most of my life at a major university I can attest to the fact that some faculty are among the most atrocious spellers. :ROFLMAO: As for the DM making much of it, I think that if one were to go through their pages that it would be very easy to pick up far worse errors. The fact that she wrote a thank you letter was something that many people would not have taken the time to do. I think she will become very popular and as to those complaints about Diana upstaging, I recall when she was on the public stage in the very beginning and the stories of Charles getting miffed because people were more interested in seeing her than him, and all she appeared to be doing was smiling, accepting flowers and talking to children. There are many admireres of Charles and I take noting away from that, BUT he had been around for a long time and was not new and refreshing. Diana was young and beautiful and all she had to do was stand there and people wanted to see her. Fortunately, William not only obviously loves his wife and is very protective of her, he also appears to have a lot of self confidence and doesn't seem to be the kind of person who takes offense because his wife is of interest to others. He is also younger and attractive as well and also has his fans. Though I didn't run out and buy tabloids I did follow with interest the Princess of Wales and I think it is sad that so many people in taking sides, have resorted to unkindnesses. That being said, I am sure that Catherine will come in for her share of criticism, as on occasion it seems to be just below the surface ready to bubble up at any moment.

:previous: At lot of readers did comment on the spelling or rather the misspelling that occurs in many DM articles. My spelling is awful as well..thank goodness for spell check.

But you are right...there are a number of people railing on her for spelling mistake or grammatical error..whatever...you would have thought she kicked a cat.

:previous: At lot of readers did comment on the spelling or rather the misspelling that occurs in many DM articles. My spelling is awful as well..thank goodness for spell check.

But you are right...there are a number of people railing on her for spelling mistake or grammatical error..whatever...you would have thought she kicked a cat.

My spelling is very good and I have a built-in-the-flesh spell checker :D, but even I make mistakes at times. Especially when I'm tired...

Of to Tower with her at once!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Wow, now it seems to start. At the ARK gala, she could walk on water, but now she is hazzeled for a spelling mistake. How short a memory the editors have. They seem hell bend on creating a new meal ticket, since the old one has been dead for a while.

I certainly do think Kate will be a very "watched" member of the royal family. She is already loved by most and has a lovely natural way about her. I think she will certainly be popular and very talked about but in a different way to Diana. If kate does become the new Princess of Wales, obviously the media will be all over the show. I think William and Kate would prefer to have a quieter life but do also seem to be aware of public demands that their role will require.

They do seem to be adapting well, but I hope it is at least another 10 years before they have to take on the burden of being Prince & Princess of Wales. Let then have time to adjust to married life and perhaps start a family together before everything falls onto their shoulders.

It's hard to say.Anyway I believe this kind of popularity will be different.The question is if Kate really needs it,I think she doesn't.I think a better question would be if William and Kate as a young and strong couple be more popular than his parents both did and I think they will,the Canadian Tour has proved it.
After all Diana came before this nice couple with something new for royals,she opened symbolically the gateway for them.

I don't really think that Kate will be as popular as diana was ... she's way too far from diana, there's no comparison. in my opinion, if she's ever been popular "which is actually happening" is because of her husband's popularity......

The people who saw her in person in Canada this summer would disagree with you. People were very impressed with her compassion, her dignity, her friendliness and her obvious love for William.

in my opinion, if she's ever been popular "which is actually happening" is because of her husband's popularity......

I think we also have to look at the kind of popularity that both Diana had and Kate has/will have.

Diana hit the media like a whirlwind and it was a strong blitz for what... 17 years or so? Kate has been steadily in the media since she was first discovered to be dating William 10 years ago and for the next 60+ (hopefully) years she will steadily be focused on.

In this respect, I honestly believe that Kate will surpass Diana as far as quality world icon status popularity goes but never with the blitz paparrazi quantity that Diana amassed.

i think the press will make next a next generation princess diana, she has already had her pic on mag covers,has a mag devoted to her style and dress, she has blogs site on how and what she buys on a daily basis so i think she is on her way to be just a popular as princess diana

yup

I think we also have to look at the kind of popularity that both Diana had and Kate has/will have.

Diana hit the media like a whirlwind and it was a strong blitz for what... 17 years or so? Kate has been steadily in the media since she was first discovered to be dating William 10 years ago and for the next 60+ (hopefully) years she will steadily be focused on.

In this respect, I honestly believe that Kate will surpass Diana as far as quality world icon status popularity goes but never with the blitz paparrazi quantity that Diana amassed.
i agree and well said

I also think that too many people think that Kate, because she is now married to William, will automatically become the new Diana. I do not think this will be the case at all. Diana will always be remembered for being the glowing person she was as well as for the wonderful work she pursued. However, whilst many feel that Kate should be striving to be out in the public and making her mark in society, she really needs to live her own life and be her own person. First and foremost she needs to be a good and supportive wife to William.

Last edited:
I hope Kate never seeks to be the kind of popular Diana was. There were time she sought and pursued that admiration of the masses to spite the Royal family and her and her husband. She lived off the love of strangers, and hopefully Kate will never need that.

I do not think she will become more popular than or even as popular as Diana.

Diana became a sensation at a time when she truly was The Only world-wide media sensation. Think of what media is like now. We have a new "superstar" shoved in our faces every few months.

She will become popular but only because she's the wife of Diana's eldest son.
She's nice but I don't believe she will be as caring and loving as Diana was!

I hope Kate never seeks to be the kind of popular Diana was. There were time she sought and pursued that admiration of the masses to spite the Royal family and her and her husband. She lived off the love of strangers, and hopefully Kate will never need that.

Agreed, Diana craved public attention. Kate does not seem to need or to seek such attention. I doubt she will ever ring up a reporter and say that she will be making a private visit to a friends house or taking her children to an amusement park to ensure her picture in in the papers the next day.

I think she will eventually just go about doing her official engagements and what ever attention comes with that is fair. Also their situations are a bit different in that Kate is married to the Queens grandson and not to the immediate heir to the throne. 2012 will be a year with attention devoted to The Queen and Philip so again it will hopefully be another year where the Cambridges will not be the ficus of the media and they can still enjoy some semblance of normality in their married life.

I don't know.. Aside from this forum and other royal forums, I don't hear her being talked about. Sure many watched the wedding and some loved it but that was months ago; and I feel that some have moved on to the next big topic. In my mass communications we were discussing events that happened around the world and I brought up the wedding. And almost everyone said it was nice and then a female classmate of mine said around the lines "She seems like a very nice girl but why should I take an active interest in her, she's only famous because she married a prince," and many other girls in my class agreed.

The media and celebrity has changed since Diana was around. Today there are so many celebrities and public figures living sensational lives, that wind up into the news.
Only time will tell but as of now imo no. But she is already famous and known.

Probably best for her and for the BRF if she does not generate the type of fame that Diana did. Lets leave that to the Beckhams and the Kardashians.

She will become popular but only because she's the wife of Diana's eldest son.
She's nice but I don't believe she will be as caring and loving as Diana was!

I think it will be shown in another way, as they are two very different women.

I do believe she will be very popular, immensely popular even, but I do not think it will be the same way as Diana. Diana was more of a celebrity and fashion icon. I don't think Kate craves that or is pursuing that. I think her popularity will be because of her compassion and love and the things she is involved in and her contribution to her country. Yes, Diana was all those things, but the media and individuals focused more on her style and even more so on her drama. Diana is remember for her contributions in charity and fashion and such, but she is more of a tragic figure where as Kate and William are more hope and kind of represent a very bright future. She will gain global popularity, but it will be different. She has a different vibe from Diana and not at all in a bad way. She's a different kind of icon in the same way that she is not what some fashion critics want or think she should be. I think she is refusing to travel the same beaten path as others and is garnering respect for a very different reason. She's not a fairytale, she's a real princess and she's Kate which makes her all the more desirable and popular and beautiful.

I do believe she will be very popular, immensely popular even, but I do not think it will be the same way as Diana. Diana was more of a celebrity and fashion icon. I don't think Kate craves that or is pursuing that. I think her popularity will be because of her compassion and love and the things she is involved in and her contribution to her country...... She's a different kind of icon in the same way that she is not what some fashion critics want or think she should be. I think she is refusing to travel the same beaten path as others and is garnering respect for a very different reason. She's not a fairytale, she's a real princess and she's Kate which makes her all the more desirable and popular and beautiful.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Catherine should not even attempt to "replace" Diana. Prince William even said that was not something she was even thinking of doing, but make a place in the world on her own strengths and merit. She is still figuring things out as to what her role is to be and that is fine by me. There is not rush for her to create her image right away. She is a modern young woman, but she appears to be level headed and is comfortable with following his lead for now. Once she has some experience, she will have the confidience to strike out on her own. I do think she is happy just being his bride for the time being and if rumors are true, she will be home with a baby next year. It may not be what her peers are doing, but if she is happy and he is happy, who are we to judge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom