The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
No, neither do I. I cannot recall any instance of reports of crowds wanting Charles rather than Diana. From the beginning, they all wanted to be near Diana.
That's very true, because she was herself, expressing warmth and concern and compassion to each person who was there to reach out to her. She exuded caring and the wish to help others, the masses were drawn to her sincerity and naturalness. She was never stiff and dismissive. She never wanted the attention, it was just showered on her because she was what the people wanted in a princess, down to earth and loving, not standoffish and dismissive. Her smile and her looks of concern and compassion were magnetic. She was devoted to the people, and they to her. She was never in competition with other members of the royal family. The people were drawn to her by her great love for them. She shook hands without gloves and was self effacing and humble.

Will Kate be like that? Quite posssibly to some degree. It may be partly what attracted William to her.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Aristocracy

I think we live in a different world these days, both in terms of the approach & style of the media & the way it's transmitted but also in terms of what the general public expect, want & will accept from their public figures/Royal family. I don't think we'd ever be able to get anyone who gets that Diana-mania reaction quite like she had, particularly like she had in the 80s just after the marriage to Charles. A lot has changed since then.

I also don't think Kate should aim to accomplish anything like that specifically, she should just be herself, find her own interests, causes, path, whatever it may be & don't try to emulate Diana purposefully. I think she's in a bit of a no win situation though as the media will (and already are) looking for any Diana link they can possibly musterwith Kate whether it be the ring choice, clothing & style choices, photographs etc. At least she doesn't look anything like Diana in superficial terms, at least the media can't do the thing they'd probably absolutely love to do which would be to have a 100% Diana clone turn up for them. At least Kate in a simple & superficial sense of just actually having different hair colour, style etc has a bit of obvious separation/distinctness from Diana. I only hope the media don't force the Diana comparison too much over the years whether in good terms or bad.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
What set Diana apart was her collusion with the press.
I think this is a very important factor to take into account when considering Diana's life and her relationship with the press and the people. From the start she involved the press, drawing attention to herself, and accordingly drawing them into her life. The press did not merely observe and report on her life, but were a part of it, there at her invitation, and it was therefore virtually impossible to exclude them from her life when she eventually decided to set limits on their access to her.

From that first report of her on the riverbank walking away from Charles towards the tree she hid behind and then looking at the photographers with a mirror, Diana was drawing attention to herself and inviting the press to pursue her. She was a dream come true for them. There was also that photo of her out riding with the Queen. HM was just riding, head down, facing the front, but Diana was looking back at the cameraman, drawing the press into her private life once again. These are two examples which have always struck me as particularly significant.

William grew up in that world with an unhappy mother who had this love/hate relationship with the press. One day she would phone them to tip them off to what she would be doing at a given time, and the next she would be complaining they were intrusive. I'm not surprised he doesn't trust them and wants to keep them at a respectful distance. The rest of his time he lived in his father's world where he didn't have a moment's privacy because of the ever-present servants. We know Diana didn't trust Charles' servants and her own "rock" has proven to be less than trustworthy. In the circumstances I am not at all surprised that William has decided he wants to limit the presence of servants in his life.

I don't think his declaration of intention to not have servants can be taken to mean he does not want to be Royal, just that his privacy in his private life is particularly important to him and his fiancee. I expect they'll have a cleaner and perhaps an occasional cook, but they'll want to be alone together most of the time. They know from experience that that they can survive very nicely without servants squeezing toothpaste onto their toothbrushes or setting out their morning cornflakes, and I am sure that even as Prince of Wales William and Kate will be able to organise their home life so they can have more privacy than Charles deems necessary.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Courtier

I don't think that Kate has the charisma that Diana had. Though as other posters have pointed out that can be both a good thing and a bad thing. Her popularity now seems to stem from her engagement. If that will change I have no idea, but I remember once reading that the palace told Diana that the media attention would decrease after she got married when in fact it increased. That could be the case for Kate as well. I would say it would determine how well she "sells" but I have read that the magazines with her on the cover are not selling as well as they thought they would and they still put them on the cover.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 AM
Serene Highness

I think in that respect the press are desperate for a 'new' Diana whom they can hound and pursue, all in order to sell.

Newsflash: there won't ever be another Diana, Catherine is Catherine and should remain that.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
From that first report of her on the riverbank walking away from Charles towards the tree she hid behind and then looking at the photographers with a mirror, Diana was drawing attention to herself and inviting the press to pursue her. She was a dream come true for them. There was also that photo of her out riding with the Queen. HM was just riding, head down, facing the front, but Diana was looking back at the cameraman, drawing the press into her private life once again. These are two examples which have always struck me as particularly significant.
Boundaries. She always crossed that boundary. Catherine does not appear to have a problem of boundaries. If anything, her sense of boundaries and private life will be interpreted as aloofness - and that will annoy.I have a hunch that Catherine will prove to be amiable, polite, well-dressed and well-mannered - in all ways acceptable - but she will maintain an aloofness which will get interpreted - perhaps - depending, as coldness. Danger for her lies with the vagaries of public opinion and the 'needs' of the tabloid press to sell copy, but we shall see. Likely she will have a grace period for the sake of William. It could tip either way - but my hunch is, it will tip negative if the PR is not exactly handled. What an interesting next few years it will be.

I think Catherine presages a profound change in the Royal Family in ways unexpected. A hunch.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Serene Highness

I suspect that much of Diana's early responses to the press which have been noted here were due to her youth. She was only 19/20 and very inexperienced. I think it was an openess and playfulness which got out of hand. Once the press got that "playful" response they were not going to let it go. I don't really think it was her intent, I think it was just a young girl being silly and not realizing the implications of what she was doing, which in any other life situation wouldn't have been a big deal, except here it was the Princess of Wales.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I suspect that much of Diana's early responses to the press which have been noted here were due to her youth. She was only 19/20 and very inexperienced. I think it was an openess and playfulness which got out of hand. Once the press got that "playful" response they were not going to let it go. I don't really think it was her intent, I think it was just a young girl being silly and not realizing the implications of what she was doing, which in any other life situation wouldn't have been a big deal, except here it was the Princess of Wales.
I think you make very good points here.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness

Kate will never be another Diana because Diana knew the inner workings of the royal machine and Kate apperas to be quite clueless.
If Kate has agreed to this not hiring of staff I would say that it is the first time she has royally made a mistake.You would think that both of them would show a bit more maturity and stop identifying with the masses to such an extent.
For how long will Kate get up to feed the baby and take the vaccuum to her home.?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Courtier

I don't agree that Daina knew the inner workings of anything, for that matter it is my opinion that she was very lost in the Royal Famiy.

I also don't agree that it is a mistake for Kate and William not to have staff in the first couple of years of the married life. Their alone time it very important to them.

Who do you think runs her vaccuum now? Lets let them get married before thinking of who will get up to fed the baby..
Old 12-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Kate will never be another Diana because Diana knew the inner workings of the royal machine and Kate apperas to be quite clueless.
If Diana knew the inner workings, why did she behave the way she did and made the mistakes she made?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Good points.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Aristocracy

Diana was amazed at how she was immediately hounded by the press, giving them no encouragement at all.

Quote:
You only have to look at the papers today to see the paparazzi are hounding Kate Middleton in the same way Diana was previously being hounded,” he said.
Prince William's girlfriend Kate Middleton being 'hounded like Diana' | The Australian

Already she is so popular that copies of Kate's apparel sell out in minutes. The travel bureaus are rushed with bookings to London for the wedding next April.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie of The Sea View Post
Diana was amazed at how she was immediately hounded by the press, giving them no encouragement at all.
That's not quite true - Diana gave tons of encouragement. She very quickly played peek-a-boo with the press. She may have gone in clueless (maybe) but she quickly acclimated to the game.

If you watch, Catherine has not given the press encouragement - head down and no eye contact from the period of your article, 2008.

Also, events like these are not about the individuals so much, I think. Bookings are for the event. Its not possible (or maybe for some it is) to like or dislike Catherine at this point. Its the event that is the draw.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Royal Highness

I think Prince Wiliam and Catherine suit each other as they appear to agree on these ideas about no staff and other things. I have to agree that I feel Catherine is a bit "aloof " and distanced from the "press".It maybe a tactical move on her part or she maybe just a bit removed from things. Anywhich way I cannot seem to understand much about her.Nor am I inspired to do so.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
I have to agree that I feel Catherine is a bit "aloof " and distanced from the "press".It maybe a tactical move on her part or she maybe just a bit removed from things. Anywhich way I cannot seem to understand much about her.Nor am I inspired to do so.
Now when you really think about it, who does this remind you of? To me, this statement also could very well be describing the Queen and her public persona. It really is quite rare that we get a glimpse into the private thoughts and actions of HM. The "raciest" tidbit on this lady was over the hat she wore to church on Christmas. Perhaps William and Kate are emulating the master of handling the press?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Boundaries. She always crossed that boundary. Catherine does not appear to have a problem of boundaries. If anything, her sense of boundaries and private life will be interpreted as aloofness - and that will annoy.I have a hunch that Catherine will prove to be amiable, polite, well-dressed and well-mannered - in all ways acceptable - but she will maintain an aloofness which will get interpreted - perhaps - depending, as coldness. Danger for her lies with the vagaries of public opinion and the 'needs' of the tabloid press to sell copy, but we shall see. Likely she will have a grace period for the sake of William. It could tip either way - but my hunch is, it will tip negative if the PR is not exactly handled. What an interesting next few years it will be.

I think Catherine presages a profound change in the Royal Family in ways unexpected. A hunch.
I am curious do you think that these changes are for the positive or for the negative?

Osipi, I think that while the "aloofness" works for the Queen it may not work for a more "modern" way of doing things. After all the Queen's "aloofness" centers around the times she grew-up in. The royal family was treated and behaved in a manner that no longer exists for the most part. Do you think otherwise?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 PM

for her sake, let's hope not.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Majesty

A succinct and sound comment, russian pretender. I wouldn't wish Diana's "popularity" on anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianpretender View Post
for her sake, let's hope not.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I am curious do you think that these changes are for the positive or for the negative?

Osipi, I think that while the "aloofness" works for the Queen it may not work for a more "modern" way of doing things. After all the Queen's "aloofness" centers around the times she grew-up in. The royal family was treated and behaved in a manner that no longer exists for the most part. Do you think otherwise?
I think after almost 2 decades of the media sensationalizing the ins and outs of the lives of the BRF and treating them more as celebrities that live their lives in the public eye for the public's entertainment than representatives of a nation, it would be a positive step forward to emulate not only the Queen, but also many other senior royals who keep their private lives just that... private. If William and Catherine are to be the eventual King and Queen Consort of a nation perhaps the earliest they do set the groundwork as to what will and will not be acceptable as far as intrusion into their lives is best done now. Being a bit "aloof" and setting limits could be a very positive thing.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana