The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
She will not be; there was only one Diana.

and thank god for that! As kind hearted and humanitarian as she was a troubled woman.

I don't wish Kate the kind of popularity that Diana had, cause much of it had to be because of her failed marriage and scandals

Old 11-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Aristocracy

I think Kate will become more regal and aloof than Diana. Kate very cleverly put herself into the position of being the indispensible partner of William. Her role will be to fulfil the role of Crown Princess and not to become her own person. Kate Middleton is dead long live Kate Middleton.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
IKate Middleton is dead long live Kate Middleton.
Excuse me?
Old 11-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Nobility

I think he meant long live Kate Windsor
Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
And with that in mind, it is possible that Kate can be more popular than Diana, who lets face it, has a lot of detractors as well.
With such level of fame and popularity, comes with detractors. Being popular does not mean to be unanimous, and be popular says it all, the detractors are in scaled down.

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis - the only person in the world the level of Diana's fame could be compared - also had her detractors, who said she was ambitious, calculating, greedy, only thinking of money, a neurotic woman who only thought about shopping on, on, on ... And after Jackie died, a biography by Sarah Bradford (I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure she was author of bio) come out stating that Jackie had an affair with RFK.

In other words, if Kate have the level of popularity, fame of Diana or Jackie O. surely she will have her detractors as well. This level of popularity/fame does not prevent detractors, but mean the detractors are inferior to her popularity. And with what I've heard about some members from Middleton family, I don't think that detractors will be very hard to show up.

But I definitely do not believe that Kate is at the level of Diana & Jackie. To this must have charisma, and foremost the "IT" factor & the Star Quality. And I dont believe Kate has these qualities. She may even be popular, well liked, appreciated, but to be compared to Diana she must have the "IT" factor & the Star Quality.

In my opinion, none of the current crown princess has the "IT" factor & the Star Quality. For me the only charismatic is Maxima and the only elegant/well dressed is Mary.

But of course, the press will try became Kate in a new Diana. They (the press) want/need replace their cash cow in fully measures.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
With such level of fame and popularity, comes with detractors.
Absolutely, I don't know that many high popularized people who do not have detractors.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Exactly. I never understood why people accuse William and Kate of being boring. What exactly do they want? Are people's perceptions of what is acceptable behavior so influenced by foul mouthed, trashy, attention seeking celebrities that dignity and class is outdated and boring? Or perhaps someone like Sarah Ferguson is more their cup of tea. Lord knows SHE was entertaining for the tabloids.

I just don't get it.
I've never really dug deep into the lives of royals and in a way a lot of people really haven't I think. I know many who still see Diana as a wonderful and graceful woman, but here I didn't realize people REALLY didn't like her much and felt she used the media for her own woe is me gain.

So I guess I have a layman's perception of royals and with that, unless I'm following their moves on this site or actually looking for them I don't know much about them so William and Kate seem very boring to me.

I don't think being popular means being trashy and tabloid fodder. I hear a lot about Queen Raina and that's because she doesn't just stay in Jordan but takes an active stance in global affairs and things that interest her. William seems to never do much but stay in England and Kate as well. And I think that's what made Diana so popular. Before her, I honestly just saw royals as just staying in their country and around the palaces then all of a sudden she was all over the world because she wanted to help and it interested her (here though I see a lot of people think a lot of that was fake but like I said, most don't dig that deep and analyze her shifty eye contact and batting eyes during interviews as playing a game).

So in that respect, they do seem boring. Truthfully, I just found out that Kate actually had a job. From what I've seen when they actually pop up doing something (William's getting a medal or what not) it looked like she was a professional girlfriend. Like all she did was stay glued to his side and never left.

I know William is pursuing his military career and that's why he doesn't seem to be doing anything because that's not something that's a media like focus unless it's a ceremony but with him doing that Kate just seems absent and not doing anything.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Royal Highness

No, and I hope she doesn't. I'd like to see her become more like current crop of Crown Princesses (Mary, Maxima, Mette-Marie).

Anybody and everybody has their detractors, regardless of their popularity: Diana, Jackie Kennedy, the Kardashians, Paris Hilton, your co-workers, you, etc.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Exactly. If you raise your head over the parapet, you inevitably get shot at.
(apologies for this military expression :-))

Even "Saint" Diana did not get it all her own way, no matter how hard she worked.

But this phenomenon doesn't just apply to "mediatised" people, but anyone who comes across as "different" or "popular - in one's own village or peer group.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense View Post
I think he meant long live Kate Windsor
I meane the opposite. She will always be the one who got her man.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
I meane the opposite. She will always be the one who got her man.
I tend to think of it as they both have got each other. From the way things seem to be progressing, they will both be very adamant as to what's what in their future from having a more public wedding, to the warnings to the press about invasion of privacy and also to the fact that both sets of in-laws will be equally as important to them.

This is one team that will very much be working with and for each other without their own agenda.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Kate will "play" well her role,but she won't be as popular as Diana was.Diana was the one who opened the gates of humanity,Kate and William will continue.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Serene Highness

i think she will be popular in her own right but not as popular as diana also, she seems to have a handle on who she is and has live some before marrage also she had a real career with its own set of stresses so i think she will do just fine in the popularity area and will be able to handle the stress that comes with it
Old 11-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate will be Kate. No more and no less. Her popularity will be determined by how she carries herself, the charities and organizations she throws her name and weight behind and overall how she stands the test of time as William's wife, and later consort.

I think it's damn impossible to determine whether or not she'll be more popular than __________ only because both Kate and whomever she's being compared to come from vastly different times with different expectations put upon them.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-29-2010, 03:40 AM
Commoner

I dont think Kate gonna be more popular than Diana .With Diana is totally different story in fame.But I do think Kate is gonna be popular in other things .

Prince Harry
Old 11-29-2010, 03:46 AM
Majesty

I think that Kate might end up being just as popular as Diana in the long run. She won't be thrust into doing a lot of engagements right away, because she won't be the Princess of Wales on the day she gets married. She'll have time to have more privacy with her growing family over the years and learn to be a Princess gradually. We might not even see her in a tiara for awhile--unless perhaps on her wedding day, because Prince William hasn't taken part in State Banquets as yet.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 AM
Royal Highness

As I see it, Catherine has had enough time to learn about Diana and how to avoid being the object of such mania. I personally doubt very much that she wants to be as popular as her late mother-in-law-to-be, for she surely knows what high price Diana payed for her fame. Plus Catherine comes from a stable family where she surely learned that it's much better to be part of the team than to be the star of it. Stardom makes lonely, while a good teamplayer always find the support of the others when needed. I hope she will form a good relationship with her future aunts-in-law Anne and Sophie and learn as much as she can from them and of course from Camilla. These are the female members of the family who can teach her how to become a valuable member of the family and help her to shape her own future as a Royal lady.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Kataryn, welcome! Like you, I too doubt whether Catherine will want to be burdened by the same or similar expectations. That would simply be cruel.
I think that, of the ladies you mentioned, she might find Sophie particularly amenable...
Old 11-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Courtier

I am more and more tempted to compare Kate with Camilla than with Diana. For me she is the "lucky Camilla" who knew exactly how to keep her man all the years and is now in the fortunate position to marry him without any scandals. No one, not even the media reports, could manage to keep Kate down or seperate them, just like between Charles and Camilla. I don't see so many similarities between Diana and Kate.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Apples and oranges. Different people, different circumstances. IMO all these two women have in common is their gender and love for William.

Kate is a mature, tertiary-educated woman from a close family and she has been with her man for 8 years and knows him - the real him - extremely well. She is marrying a man who is already her mate, not a fairytale prince she only knows on a superficial level. She is also marrying into a different Royal Family than the one which Diana took on. I am sure she knows she will need help adjusting and learning her job, and am equally sure she will have plenty of support from her husband and his family and their staff and will have no hesitation in seeking assistance from the appropriate source whenever she has a question.

Kate will not trigger the protective instincts that the young, naive, virginal, vulnerable Diana evoked, and is unlikely to have the same relationship with the media that Diana had. Diana touched people on an emotional level that I don’t think we will see happen with Kate. I don’t think Kate will reach out the public and "connect" with them in the same way Diana did. I don’t expect her to reach out to the media at all.

Kate seems pleasant and charming and I am sure that she will do her job well and be popular, but she’ll do it very differently from Diana and I don’t expect to see the extreme levels of public affection we saw with Diana so I don’t expect her to be as “popular” as Diana and certainly not more so.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana