The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you that the late Diana was so iconic, that it is hardly imagineable that someone would 'replace' her. But don't forget she died in her prime, so to speak. This year she would have celebrated her 50th birthday and maybe she was set to become grandmother. That is a completely different Diana than the beautiful slender youthful blonde aristocratic lady which has been set in our image, of course.

You are right in that the world will only remember the youthful, iconic image of Diana. Had she lived, it would have interesting to see if she would truely have been able to build a life for herself independent of the BRF. It would also have been interesting to see how she would have reacted to her sons growing up and finding partners, and the introduction of those partners to public life. How would Diana have coped with the fame of Princess William, and would she have been a meddlesome mother-in-law... these are all questions we would never have the answers to.

You are right in that the world will only remember the youthful, iconic image of Diana. Had she lived, it would have interesting to see if she would truely have been able to build a life for herself independent of the BRF. It would also have been interesting to see how she would have reacted to her sons growing up and finding partners, and the introduction of those partners to public life. How would Diana have coped with the fame of Princess William, and would she have been a meddlesome mother-in-law... these are all questions we would never have the answers to.

Indeed. It is intriguing. We will never know if the now 50-years old Lady Diana Al-Fayed would still be so iconic or slowly have faded away in some anonimity, living a quiet life on the countryside somehwere in England, France or Italy.

The iconic image of Diana (and James Dean, and Marilyn Monroe, and Maria Callas) is not for nothing connected with a worldwide appeal plus a premature death.

For the moment I do not really see that Catherine Middleton will 'replace' Diana. Not to the extent of her immense celebrity status. I think Prince William and Catherine will do everything to prevent such a celeb hysteria again around themselves or their children.

Last edited:
Indeed. It is intriguing. We will never know if the now 50-years old Lady Diana Al-Fayed would still be so iconic or slowly have faded away in some anonimity, living a quiet life on the countryside somehwere in England, France or Italy.

Somehow I doubt that she would ever :

a) have become Diana Al Fayed!
b) have been living a quiet life in the countryside!!!

I think Prince William and Catherine will do everything to prevent such a celeb hysteria again around themselves or their children.

:previous: I sincerely do hope that is the case.

Althorp Estate is 'very countryside' so Diana must have experienced the country life. People do change. I can very well imagine that a 50-years old Diana would have changed from a 'city girl' into the Lady of the Manor somewhere on the beautiful English countryside, in Dorset, Hampshire, Kent. Oh yes.

But okay, that is a bit getting off-topic in this thread.

Althorp Estate is 'very countryside' so Diana must have experienced the country life. People do change. I can very well imagine that Diana would have changed from a 'city girl' into the Lady of the Manor somewhere on the beautiful English countryside, in Dorset, Hampshire, Kent. Oh yes.

Diana did not live at Althrop for very long, and in any case, that was in her teenage years.

My point was that to me, she did not appear to be somebody who would be willing to live "quietly" at all - she loved the media attention far too much to shy away from it at all.

I'll restate my position that I believe Kate and PW will do just enough to appear to earn their keep...no more, no less.

I don't believe Kate will feel she needs to "prove" herself, as she will be a member of the BRF, no matter what.

No, I don't dislike her or PW, as I don't know them. Neither seems to be a ball of fire, champing at the bit to get out there and do the job. Sure, they did a bit of flitting around last week and I was glad to see them, but it was probably an "order" from BP.

She will never eclipse Diana, because she is not "needy."

In 5 years time, I'll eat my tiara if necessary.

Last edited:
I like to think of Kate Middleton stepping into the role so ably played by the Queen Mum. She will be in the Royal Family for a very long time, explore various ways to fulfill her role (and her own life), and by so doing, she will leave a mark on history. I think it will be very favorable, and that crowds will come out to see them in all parts of the Commonwealth - to see both of them.

I know that if they were to make any sort of public appearance in the United States, crowds would come out and media coverage would be intense. Kate will be exceptionally well known, but she needs to pace herself and not inundate us with daily details (she and Will clearly know how to keep a lower profile when they want to, good for them).

I like to think of Kate Middleton stepping into the role so ably played by the Queen Mum. She will be in the Royal Family for a very long time, explore various ways to fulfill her role (and her own life), and by so doing, she will leave a mark on history. I think it will be very favorable, and that crowds will come out to see them in all parts of the Commonwealth - to see both of them.

I know that if they were to make any sort of public appearance in the United States, crowds would come out and media coverage would be intense. Kate will be exceptionally well known, but she needs to pace herself and not inundate us with daily details (she and Will clearly know how to keep a lower profile when they want to, good for them).

I fully agree with you.

In 5 years time, I'll eat my tiara if necessary.

Would you like it dipped in chocolate....lol.... I only hope that I am right and you are wrong. That they will both step up to the plate and do their jobs as a united couple ...Never ment that you did not like them may you keep your own opinion. As I will keep mine.

Is there anyone in the BRF who hops out of car ready to do their engagements or "their job." They all act professional, steady and serious.

I think Kate and William will do what is necessary now before they become full time royals. I believe that the BRF (particuarly the Queen and Prince Charles) are very mindful of the missteps of Diana and Sarah and learning form Sophie and Camilla, are going to do a slow introduction of full time royal life. The Queen certainly remembers her early married life when she had time to enjoy being a wife in Malta.

Within three to five years or so, we should see the Queen, Prince Phillip, the Kents and the Gloucesters slow down in their royal engagements. At that time, I would imagine that Kate and William might have a child or two, and the real work begins.

We can not look in the future, but so far the matches Philippe - Mathilde, Haakon - Mette-Marit, Willem-Alexander - Máxima, Frederik - Mary, Felipe - Letizia and Victoria - Daniel looks like happy marriages.

There have been divorces (Joachim - Alexandra, Elena - Jaime) but I also have the feeling that Catherine will remain in the royal family for a looooong time.

For the moment I do not really see that Catherine Middleton will 'replace' Diana. Not to the extent of her immense celebrity status. I think Prince William and Catherine will do everything to prevent such a celeb hysteria again around themselves or their children.

I think one way too that the popularity that surrounds Kate will be immensely different than Diana's is that Diana's soared as a single iconic figure both in negative and positive ways whereas I think with Kate, we're going to see more of a united team with William and Kate. Just as Cher went on to become somewhat iconic without Sonny, Wills and Kate I think will always be iconic more as a team. I've noticed over the past year how now its a lot more Victoria and Daniel and they make a good team together without being reduced to come and go celebrities.. William and Kate and their family together I think will move them away from celebrity like status and restore the aura of majesty to royalty while still very much keeping in touch with the people. To me that's a very positive thing for the BRF in the future.

. . . . . . Wills and Kate I think will always be iconic more as a team. I've noticed over the past year how now its a lot more Victoria and Daniel and they make a good team together without being reduced to come and go celebrities.
That is a very perceptive analagy. William and Kate could do a lot worse than to follow their lead. But their lead is a young couple in love and sharing it with those they meet in the course of their lives. Now William and Kate are engaged they can just be themselves and don't have to hide how they feel about each other and just like the Swede's, the staid old British are not immune from falling in love with love.

I think one way too that the popularity that surrounds Kate will be immensely different than Diana's is that Diana's soared as a single iconic figure both in negative and positive ways whereas I think with Kate, we're going to see more of a united team with William and Kate. Just as Cher went on to become somewhat iconic without Sonny, Wills and Kate I think will always be iconic more as a team. I've noticed over the past year how now its a lot more Victoria and Daniel and they make a good team together without being reduced to come and go celebrities.. William and Kate and their family together I think will move them away from celebrity like status and restore the aura of majesty to royalty while still very much keeping in touch with the people. To me that's a very positive thing for the BRF in the future.

You make good points about chemistry and majesty. Unfortunately those points are very subjective. While I find Victoria and Daniel to be a couple that appears to be very much in love I don't get the same vibe from William and Kate. There are others that would disagree with me.

I will say that if the monarchy comes down to just two people then the institution itself may be in big trouble. I also have not seen anything to indicate that William and Kate will/are doing anything differently than the way things are currently going. I feel like these same grand ideas of changing the monarchy were also qualities attributed to the Charles/Diana marriage. The media and public thought that they were a couple very much in love. It is too soon to tell if William and Kate can make a go of it. By the way I am not advocating a break-up just trying to point out that for the most part we only know what the media is telling us and they are not unbiased sources.

There are different kinds of "being in love," surely. Prince William and Kate are in love, you can see it in their constant attention to each other, the way they follow each others' cues, their smiles. It may not be the kind of supreme romantic love that feels as if it's destiny (do Victoria and Daniel give off that vibe? I don't know them very well), but when a couple has been together 8 years, and their relationship dates back to college, there's a good deal of "buddy-ness" that usually sticks in the relationship.

I'd like to think that William writes her love notes and calls her angel, as Bertie did Elizabeth, but I somehow doubt it. I think that Prince William is very perceptive about his role and his wife's future role, and that Kate Middleton is a very astute young woman. They'll figure it out.

There are different kinds of "being in love," surely. Prince William and Kate are in love, you can see it in their constant attention to each other, the way they follow each others' cues, their smiles. It may not be the kind of supreme romantic love that feels as if it's destiny (do Victoria and Daniel give off that vibe? I don't know them very well), but when a couple has been together 8 years, and their relationship dates back to college, there's a good deal of "buddy-ness" that usually sticks in the relationship.

I'd like to think that William writes her love notes and calls her angel, as Bertie did Elizabeth, but I somehow doubt it. I think that Prince William is very perceptive about his role and his wife's future role, and that Kate Middleton is a very astute young woman. They'll figure it out.

That is part of my point. While you see "loving gestures" I don't. Does not make me wrong or even you wrong. Just a difference of opinion. Her future popularity is determined off people buying her ability to be an asset to the royal family by doing royal duties and genuinely loving her spouse. Whether or not that will happen is still an open book. The media is in the honeymoon stage where the two of them can do no wrong. One day that will all change and when it does the media could turn on them very harshly. They have yet to experience in major criticism in their relationship so I don't know how prepared they will be when the media tides turn.

Or perhaps they do not publicly discuss such matters as...love notes they wrote to one another

Whether or not William and Catherine show more love than other royals is not the subject of this thread.

Let's get back on topic.

Catherine Middleton: Will she become more popular than Diana?

Whether or not William and Catherine show more love than other royals is not the subject of this thread.

Let's get back on topic.

Catherine Middleton: Will she become more popular than Diana?

I get what you are saying. I guess I just feel that one of the reasons for Diana's popularity in the beginning was the love that the media thought she shared with Charles.

I dont think they have to behave like victoria and daniel kissing all the time. If you look at Daniel he doesnt interact with the people very much, he just keep on smiling, and smiling. They are engaged for two years and married for 9 months, we really cant say we are impressed with Daniel. No need to kiss each other again and again to be in love. Sometimes victoria and daniel are a bit annoying. it's too much for my taste ! William and Kate have to show they care for the others, the crowds, the people they meet, victoria and daniel show they care for each other, and for daniel more for victoria than for the other. William and Kate are perfect and in love.

I get what you are saying. I guess I just feel that one of the reasons for Diana's popularity in the beginning was the love that the media thought she shared with Charles.

And how misleading that turn out to be ??

exactly! :)

But going back to the actual topic about popularity the answer its NO. Nor ANY and, I really do believe that, any will be.

Maxima, Mette-Mari, Mary, Marie, Letizia as lovely as they are will never reach that level of popularity. And let's be honest nor should they try to (not that I think they will deliberately want that).

Last edited:
And how misleading that turn out to be ??

exactly! :)

But going back to the actual topic about popularity the answer its NO. Nor ANY and, I really do believe that, any will be.

Maxima, Mette-Mari, Mary, Marie, Letizia as lovely as they are will never reach that level of popularity. And let's be honest nor should they try to (not that I think they will deliberately want that).

I agree that was why I mentioned C & D. Chemistry is so subjective.

I agree about your views on the popularity question. Although I don't think that Diana always knew what she was dealing with. One of her misfortunes was her belief that she could control the media so I think those ideas contributed to some of the bad decision she made. Then again how do you deal with the media when you become as famous as she did? My belief is that you don't, it controls you. It is worth mentioning that Diana was not on the scene that long before she married Charles. People didn't know that much about her. As a result of her "blank slate" the media could fill it in however they liked. With Kate she has been around so long that for the most part people already know how they feel about her.

It's true, Jemagre. By the time Princess Diana became a household name in America, she was already "the chosen one," only people who followed British news more carefully knew of her before then.

Kate is one of several young British women now in the public eye, and there's so much more media coverage. It's rare to have as much focus on one person, these days, as Diana got back then (news magazines on television were in their start-up days; Diana helped make them what they are - and they are now a vehicle for thousands of celebrities).

Kate does seem to have already been our "girl next door" for quite some time. And the on-again/off-again, possibly mildly party-oriented college girlfriend.

I also don't think that Diana Spencer had much control over her very first photog images that became international (of her and the children in the nursery school), but the association between her sweet, demur demeanor, the cute little chidren, her nanny-like clothing, her blondness too - and the fact that she was of aristocratic heritage - all hit the international news at the same time.

Kate sort of gradually rose to the top of a bunch of pictures, replacing Harry as Wills's sidekick, so it seems to me. I think it must be much easier to deal with, that way, and that Prince William is rather aware that his own courtship should be handled different than that of his father.

It's true, Jemagre. By the time Princess Diana became a household name in America, she was already "the chosen one," only people who followed British news more carefully knew of her before then.

Kate is one of several young British women now in the public eye, and there's so much more media coverage. It's rare to have as much focus on one person, these days, as Diana got back then (news magazines on television were in their start-up days; Diana helped make them what they are - and they are now a vehicle for thousands of celebrities).

Kate does seem to have already been our "girl next door" for quite some time. And the on-again/off-again, possibly mildly party-oriented college girlfriend.

I also don't think that Diana Spencer had much control over her very first photog images that became international (of her and the children in the nursery school), but the association between her sweet, demur demeanor, the cute little chidren, her nanny-like clothing, her blondness too - and the fact that she was of aristocratic heritage - all hit the international news at the same time.

Kate sort of gradually rose to the top of a bunch of pictures, replacing Harry as Wills's sidekick, so it seems to me. I think it must be much easier to deal with, that way, and that Prince William is rather aware that his own courtship should be handled different than that of his father.

You make a lot of good points as well. When you mentioned Diana posing with the children part of it, I believe the press asked her to. Right? If not then they must have loved the pictures because it showed a maternal aspect to Diana and I believe that they really wanted Charles to get married so he could have children. Diana checked all of the boxes the media felt she needed to be a great royal.

I too hope that lessons have been learned by William and the palace in regards to the press attention inflicted on the family. While that help was too late in some ways for Diana hopefully it can be applied for future generations. Then again I worry with the creation of the global media this is a whole new ballgame for the family. Even though the media was strong during Diana's life, information did not reach people as fast as it does now. For example: during Diana's life the media was very much in the hands of the newspapers and respectable networks which are things you can work with to some degree. With the flourishing of the internet and blogs you can no longer exert such great force on the media. So it will be interesting to determine how this plays out. I admit the royal family is trying with their facebook, twitter, and youtube channel. I feel however that only royalists or people slightly interested in them look at those things so they don't have mass appeal like newspapers once did.

I agree that was why I mentioned C & D. Chemistry is so subjective.

I agree about your views on the popularity question. Although I don't think that Diana always knew what she was dealing with. One of her misfortunes was her belief that she could control the media so I think those ideas contributed to some of the bad decision she made. Then again how do you deal with the media when you become as famous as she did? My belief is that you don't, it controls you. It is worth mentioning that Diana was not on the scene that long before she married Charles. People didn't know that much about her. As a result of her "blank slate" the media could fill it in however they liked. With Kate she has been around so long that for the most part people already know how they feel about her.

As said here before , don't remember by who, sorry :). and also by you, one of the most endearing fact about Diana was how unknown she was and how perfect she seemed to be for the role (aristocratic with no past). With Kate, we have someone that has already been into the spotlight for sometime, we already have a notion about who she is so we can look at her and her relationship with William in a less "Fairy-Taly" way. That, IMO, can make their engagement loose a little of the appeal, at least for some.
Even if W&C are 2 very different people, the marriage and eventual divorce between C&D made people much more cautious, like: "I went there 30 ago, really believing they were the real deal, and look how it turned out?" I'm not doing that again!"
anyways, all of these factors, and some other, will impact Kate's popularity. Even if some of them are not directly related to her persona

I think Catherine is popular now only because of the wedding. If she acts like the past in her future royal role I believe in six months the media will be lesson her.:sad:

Previous to her engagement Kate Middleton was a private Person, and acted like a private Person .. with every right to do so.

Obviously she knows well what is expected of her as a royal - you can see that very clearly since her engagement.

I think to compare Pss Diana and Catherine M. in any way is like apples and oranges. They are (were) two totally different types of women in relationships with two totally different types of men. The relationships themselves are completely different as well. And the fact that Pss Diana was a very naive woman just out of her teens, while Catherine is what I would call a bit more worldly and closer to 30 makes a huge difference, imo. In terms of more media coverage, people need to remember that in the early years of Pss Diana's move into the BRF, there wasn't the Internet and/or any of the social networks there are now. Information was not so immediately available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom