The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittys_closet View Post
That is a great question since how can the British monarchy exist if it isn't popular with British taxpayers who are becoming increasingly Republican?
As other posters have said your statement is false as of 2009 an ICM poll, commission by the BBC, found that 76% of those asked wanted the monarchy to continue after the Queen, against 18% of people who said they would favour Britain becoming a republic and 6% who said they did not know.

Quote:
We even forgave her when she drank too much and flashed a little black underwear or when that God awful uncle turned up selling stories, cocaine and women less fortunate than his niece. We forgave her but we didn't forget either. It was the first chip at her mystique.

1. Who is the "we" you keep referring to?
2. When did she flash her underwear?
3. Her uncle didn't seel the stories as far as I can remember, he was discovered.

Quote:
Then Kate gave up looking for a job for the routine of a kept women: Gym, tan, shop, party, travel, and follow my man around with fierce vigilance. Suddenly, the college grad was kind of a bimbo. An odd sort of bimbo since her lifestyle isn't bank-rolled by her royal lover but her upper middle-class parents. Was she receiving a commission every time Party Pieces is mentioned in an article about William and Kate's relationship? Here was a deeper chip at her mystique.

When Kate has gone on holiday she has gone with her parents or with William, I see no problem with that. I've never seen her go into the gym, and wish a body like hers she doesn't need to. As to whether she was recieving a commission I doubt we'll ever know, but she has worked for her parents company and earned a wage.

Quote:
Dating since 2001, the relationship now seems tired and jaded. You never see them kiss, laugh or hold hands together. Instead, he looks sadly oblivious to how much he is hurting this girl and she looks too hard to care. If he has made her into a bimbo by refusing to be honest with her, then she has made him into a cad for not walking out on him sooner. The only way they can revive themselves from this death march is for Prince William to find a new girl he treats like a princess and for Kate to find a new man who treats her like a Queen.

Wow, you are making serious assumptions here. Like "William is hurting Kate" How do you know this? "Refusing to be honest with her" about what exactly?
IMO either person is strong enough to walk away from this relationship if they so wished.
I don't think I have ever noticed a public display of affection from any members of the royal family, except of the balcony on weddings days. Royals don't do displays, especially the British. Plus what does it matter?

Quote:
Now if this new girl happens to be a doe-eyed, pink-cheeked, teenage aristocrat and Protestant virgin who loves stuffed animals, works with children, and spends her weekends in the country with mother's pearl choker and a coterie of new Sloane Rangers instead of spending her nights in night clubs showing off her knickers, then yes, it will be Lady Diana Spencer all over again.

How can you assume that somebody like that would turn out to be like Lady Diana? William would not make the same mistake as his father, and I think it's harsh that you have assumed that.

Quote:
This new girl will be what the people expect of a fairy-tale princess and she will grow up and into the next icon of her time. Whether or not she will be happy, that's another story. However, expect a royal soap opera since that is what sells papers.

You are assuming that there will be a new girl obviously, not everyone will "expect her to be a fairytale princess" they will expect her to be a good wife to William, a mother to her children and act accordingly to how her country sees fit. Grow up? How old do you expect this "new girl" to be?

I doubt very very much that William's wife will be an Icon, and nothing on the scale of Diana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
This is a totally false statement, the British taxpayers are not becoming increasingly republican. Infact the support for a republic in the UK, (as evidenced by repeated surveys over the years) has remained static at less than 10%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post

The highest support for a republic in the UK was actually during the reign of Queen Victoria after she withdrew from public life with the death of Albert. (the 1860s)

Diana's death didn't 'shake the monarchy' it barely moved, there was no great increase support for a republic, nor was there after the abdication of Edward VIII.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Quite right. There does not appear to be any groundswell of republicanism in the UK

Agree with both statments, IMO the only time I thought something would happen was when Charles married Camilla.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Please provide supporting evidence on how the Middleton's use the press.
While there are lots of anti-Middleton articles in the tabloids, especially in the Daily Mail, the Middletons have found their niche in the sugar mags, especially HELLO. They have done several HELLO exclusives, eg James for his bakery, introducing Pippa as socialite and not to forget Kate during her sisterhood project.
Needless to say that HELLO isnt getting tired of presenting the family as "hardworking" and "normal" and a perfect match for William, suggesting that a wedding is a done deal, citing "close friends" praising their attitude and mentioning their family business between the lines countless times.

They know how to influence and they have never hesitated to go for it, when they get the chance, subtile enough not to annoy the Royal House, of course. Because the masterplan is to get that ring what takes priority above everything.

Quote:
Muriel Quite right. There does not appear to be any groundswell of republicanism in the UK
Wait until QEII is no more. Charles will have to fasten his seatbelt and he will have to say goodbye to various privileges that have only been kept so far out of respect for HM. Charles will be the first modern monarch to be openly questioned and I also believe that the anti Camilla resentment will come through again, people not wanting her to bear the title Queen, there already is a separate thread for this topic.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posts regarding the Middleton Family and the Press, have been moved to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...d-5991-31.html .

Again...this thread is not about the future of the British monarchy.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Gentry

No, Kate will not be more popular than Diana.

The only thing that she will be better at is boring people to death.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Majesty

I wasn't aware that Diana was good at boring people to death.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I wasn't aware that Diana was good at boring people to death.
hahaha!

Diana wasn't. That's why Kate would win the contest
Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well considering Kate hasn't got any competition, isn't really fair that contest.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness

Whose idea whas this?

May I change the question? Will she be popular???
Old 11-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Yes, she will be popular.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Hopefully Kate will not become more popular than Diana. Her popularity didn't bring her any happiness.
Hopefully William & Kate will enjoy a quieter and happier life than Charles & Diana.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I sincerely hope she will not become an icon of any kind.

Kate is Kate, and that should be enough for us. She will carve out her own workload. She doesn't need image-makers, just herself.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:38 AM
Commoner

I hope that Kate is popular in all of the positive ways Diana was. I hope that she gains popularity through her actions and the difference she strives to make in the world, and not simply because she is a royal. Diana was compassionate, and I think she touched lives because she truly cared about people. She was "The People's Princess," and no one should ever be compared to her.

It is unfortunate that Kate will undoubtedly be compared to Diana for many years to come. She deserves to make her own way and be acknowledged for her own choices and characteristics, irrespective of Princess Diana.

IMO
Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate/Catherine won't have to be an icon for anyone. Her fiancé will (hopefully) see to that.
She only needs to be herself.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Royal engagement: How Kate Middleton compares to 'Shy Di' | Mail Online
Old 11-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Commoner

I agree that there will comparisons to Diana, but her and Diana are obviously two different people. I don't know much about Kate, but I was excited to hear of them getting engaged and I am definently excited to learn more about her. She herself is a pretty girl and seems very excited to be getting her prince!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Catherine being compared to Princess Mary of Denmark.
Så meget ligner Mary og Kate hinanden | www.bt.dk
Old 11-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

First Diana now it's Mary. Who's next MM, Maxima, Letizia and Mathilde?

Can't they let Kate be Kate?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
First Diana now it's Mary. Who's next MM, Maxima, Letizia and Mathilde?

Can't they let Kate be Kate?
Now where would the fun be in that

If you let Kate be Kate than you can't have those nice little magazine titles:

Kate living in Di (Mary's shadow)
Kate and Diana the two women of William's life

Old 11-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

^ You are right.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well Diana was inevitably, Mary the comparisons I can understand. Mary would be a good role model for Catherine.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana