The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone should ever try to aspire to be like Diana. Diana was not a person to emulate IMO. Nor was Diana really as wildly 'popular' as people seem to believe. She was a scandal, she gained notoriety - not the same thing as 'popularity' - and it was the scandal that 'sold' the papers.

That is the opinion of a minority. The general opinion is that Diana was a victim of the Windsors, especially her husband, and that all her problems stemmed from the lack of love in her marriage, the coldness of her in-laws and the fact that her hausband cheated her from the day they were married. It is more than a human being can bear. People identified with Diana and took part.

I have the feeling that what Kate inspires is indifference. She will never be as popular as Diana because there are no bonds between her and the middle classes. What on earth can she do to make them like her? Do some charity? It takes more than that. She is an upper class spoiled girl who never had a decent job. She did all wrong from the beginning. Diana was humble and compassionate, and that is something you cannot feign.

Last edited:
:flowers: I'm with Tyger;

no, I realy don't think, that a lot of people still think Diana was a victim of the Windsors; I'm sure they know, it takes two to get it all wrong. :whistling:

I cant see, where you get your idea from, that Diana was "better" than Kate is; we don't know a thing about Kate .. and Diana, well - my opinion of her isn't as high as yours

That is the opinion of a minority. The general opinion is that Diana was a victim of the Windsors, especially her husband, and that all her problems stemmed from the lack of love in her marriage, the coldness of her in-laws and the fact that her hausband cheated her from the day they were married. It is more than a human being can bear. People identified with Diana and took part.

I have the feeling that what Kate inspires is indifference. She will never be as popular as Diana because there are no bonds between her and the middle classes. What on earth can she do to make them like her? Do some charity? It takes more than that. She is an upper class spoiled girl who never had a decent job. She did all wrong from the beginning. Diana was humble and compassionate, and that is something you cannot feign.

There goes the bashing again and you do not have evidence for your claims.

Diana, IMO, was a spoiled upper class girl who never had a decent job before she married.
Kate has someone to be compared to, Diana never.

There goes the bashing again and you do not have evidence for your claims.

It is not bashing! And neither you have evidence of anything you say as an opinion.

Diana worked in a kindergarden. She married at only 21.
And honestly, I don´t believe the story that Kate worked in the family business". Is it allowed here without being attacked?

Last edited:
Kate went to university and then worked for her family.

It is not bashing! And neither you have evidence of anything you say as an opinion.

Diana worked in a kindergarden. She married at only 21.
And honestly, I don´t believe the story that Kate worked in the family business". Is it allowed here without being attacked?

You state your opinion as facts, that is the difference.

Diana was not respected.

To you and some others do not state your opinion like its a fact. I do agaree that some of Diana's action should not be emulated but others like her charity work and the way she did them definetly should.

Not only did Kate go to University,she also worked while she was going. That shows me that kate is made of some strong stuff. Usually children with very rich parents rarely work while going to college. So the ones that keep bashing her because she did not have the career of their choice really needs to get over it. I think Diana was fine for her time and Kate will also be great. I bet those same people who keep bashing Kate endlessly would have done the same to Diana .Because it is more a poor reflection of them that anything else.
Since leaving college she has worked a couple of different places plus her family very sucesessful business .(That was a great choice in my opinion)

Catherine is older, better educated and comes from a much more stable family background. While I do think Diana was treated wrongly by her husband and possibly the Windsors (simple because they did not know what to make of her) she also came from an unstable family and very possibly felt a lack of affection from an early age. I think she learned to cope with her/those problems in her own fashion for survival. Her coping mechanisms were not always the best. I think Katherine has a much more mature and solid foundation from which to build upon. I would not want her to emulate Diana because she was a very unhappy person, though she did much good, and it is unfortunate that her life ended too early. I think she would have contributed many more positive things in her maturity. It is rather sad that much of what is left are the unhappy things in her life because I do think her life was getting better. I think Catherine has much more to fall back upon that Diana ever did. The marriage of Charles and Diana was a sad affair, IMO because both were very emotionally needy people who were not able to provide in any way what the other needed. Diana was also very young and romantic and to put it bluntly had no idea that she was coming into the marriage for primarily breeding purposes. It was no wonder she was bereft and felt alone.

That is the opinion of a minority.

I had written, in part: Nor was Diana really as wildly 'popular' as people seem to believe. She was a scandal, she gained notoriety - not the same thing as 'popularity' - and it was the scandal that 'sold' the papers.

I'm not sure that is a minority opinion but, of course, I have no proof.

The general opinion is that Diana was a victim of the Windsors, especially her husband, and that all her problems stemmed from the lack of love in her marriage, the coldness of her in-laws and the fact that her hausband cheated her from the day they were married. It is more than a human being can bear. People identified with Diana and took part.

That is the story Diana told and that is the story a lot of people believe because they are not inclined to look into the situation. If one looks into the situation it turns out to be quite another situation than what Diana said it was. I'll say this for Diana, she read her public to a tee and in this she was brilliant!

Diana was far from humble and she did feign a lot of things, from the get go. Those bonds between Diana and the middle classes - how did Diana forge them? What did Diana do to get the middle class to like her?

Why shouldn't the public like Kate? What has she done not to be liked? She is in fact part of the middle class - Diana was not. This is a contradiction to me. How is that? An aristocrat is liked as having a bond with the middle class - and yet someone from the middle class inspires indifference. :ermm:

To you and some others do not state your opinion like its a fact. I do agaree that some of Diana's action should not be emulated but others like her charity work and the way she did them definetly should.

The conversation was about popularity. I indicated that Catherine should aspire to being respected - as Diana was not respected. Had she been respected none of the media reports would have been happening. Diana's 'popularity' was at root sensationalism with salacious aspects. Pretty unsavory.

Diana's charity works and the way she did them is another questionable area. Having someone who is the center of 'notoriety' as one's patron has its drawbacks - as the director of that hospital decided when he removed her as its patron - I do not have the details but I recall it happening.

The conversation was about popularity. I indicated that Catherine should aspire to being respected - as Diana was not respected. Had she been respected none of the media reports would have been happening.

And I repeat that you shouldn't state your opinion like its a fact. The media hardly respects anyone. They report and publish stories that sell.

Let's try to keep the thread on topic.

There is no need to relive the Diana Chronicles (her marriage, her respectablity, etc.).

Whether one wants to accept it or not, Diana was popular (it can be argued that it was negative vs. positive) but that isn't the subject of this thread.

Last edited:
In that she was spectacularly successful. One wonders what would have become of her had Amanda Knatchbull said yes to Charles' proposal in the spring of 1980. Charles was being pressured to get a wife - Diana was keen on getting a husband - the Perfect Storm!

As for Catherine, its clear she loves William - it appears that they are both marrying their first love. Interesting - and they have had plenty of time to shake down the relationship. I think Catherine's intellect, education and artistic sensibilities (Italy!) will stand her in good stead as princess (or duchess, or lady - whatever they do with that). Catherine is older, has sound family ties and possesses inner resources that would have enabled her to have a professional life outside of being Royal. Catherine had a future whichever way the cookie crumbled.

In the end, I think Catherine will command more respect than Diana. I don't believe Diana's 'popularity' was really that in the larger scheme of things. She was more of a scandal really - that's not popularity. Diana reduced everything to salacious gossip and my view of her was that she had become an embarrassment. I don't think Catherine would ever engage in anything that low-brow - that's my 'read' of her. I may be wrong but I have hopes that she will conduct herself in an upright fashion. She has had good role models in her parents - and William is close with them - so it bodes well. I have a suspicion Catherine will be popular with the Queen. We'll see.

I agree with all you have said here... IMO Cathrerine will fall in line just as she should we will not see outlandish acts splashed all over the papers and TV. I think she has been forwarned of how to act and will be more then happy to do as she is told.

I agree with all you have said here... IMO Cathrerine will fall in line just as she should we will not see outlandish acts splashed all over the papers and TV. I think she has been forwarned of how to act and will be more then happy to do as she is told.

That is what the RF have done throughout the 20th century but the incomers haven't always obliged once in the fold. No guarantee that she will either, if she doesn't get her own way at times.

The current generation of Crown Princesses are under-educated (i.e., without master's degree, which is very important to me personally). Sadly, Crown Princess Masako has not completed her graduate degree. Ms. Middleton will join a downgraded circle of housewives with titles.

I don't think all of them excepting Princess Masako are under-educated:how about Princess Leticia who worked as a journalist before marriage.After all Kate has a university degree

Isn't Princess Masako one of the few with post-graduate work? She graduated magna cum laude from Harvard and started her thesis at Oxford. I believe most of the crown princesses have at least an undergraduate degree but I'm not sure about some of them. Education, maturity, and family support will all play a part in dealing with the media and stress from any issues that may come up. Catherine's stable family life and maturity level will help her here, assets that Diana lacked (I liked her too when all this started but it's obvious now there were issues that should have been addressed). No one could have foreseen the media frenzy surrounding Diana and even if she did bring it on by courting the press it would still be a double edged sword, difficult to control.

I think Catherine has already shown better judgment by not commenting on anything during their relationship even when it appeared to be off. She has not given the press too much information, either good or bad to sway opinion to her side. I hope she will learn from Diana's mistakes.

I don't know if anyone will ever be popular than Diana but time will tell.

I find Kate comes across as a strong, confident woman with intellect. She's kept herself out of trouble since it was known she was dating Prince William and has managed to hold her own from that time up until now. I think they are the perfect match! They look great together.
Kate also has a strong partner in William. Unlike his father, William seems outgoing and has great interaction with people.

I think Kate would do great! She's great for the monarchy at this time. I think alongside William she could achieve wonderful things. People will love her of course but as much as Diana? It's a tough one. I hope so because I honestly believe she could be the breath of fresh air the monarchy needs right now.

I don't know if anyone will ever be popular than Diana but time will tell.

I find Kate comes across as a strong, confident woman with intellect. She's kept herself out of trouble since it was known she was dating Prince William and has managed to hold her own from that time up until now. I think they are the perfect match! They look great together.
Kate also has a strong partner in William. Unlike his father, William seems outgoing and has great interaction with people.

I think Kate would do great! She's great for the monarchy at this time. I think alongside William she could achieve wonderful things. People will love her of course but as much as Diana? It's a tough one. I hope so because I honestly believe she could be the breath of fresh air the monarchy needs right now.

At 28 Charles was outgoing and interected brilliantly with the people.

The monarchy had a 'breath of fresh air' with Sarah Ferguson.

At 28 Charles was outgoing and interected brilliantly with the people.

The monarchy had a 'breath of fresh air' with Sarah Ferguson.

No, I do not ever remember dear Charles to be introverted.

The only vibe I get is that Catherine might turn out to be naturally "lazy." When I say lazy, I mean disinclined to activity or exertion; not shiftlessness. If that's the case, no one will be able to "make" her do things royal. She will probably do all she's asked in the beginning, but perhaps she will balk after just a few years -- especially if the becomes a mother. Just a vibe I get.

No, I do not ever remember dear Charles to be introverted.

The only vibe I get is that Catherine might turn out to be naturally "lazy." When I say lazy, I mean disinclined to activity or exertion; not shiftlessness. If that's the case, no one will be able to "make" her do things royal. She will probably do all she's asked in the beginning, but perhaps she will balk after just a few years -- especially if the becomes a mother. Just a vibe I get.

That's an interesting take on it. I don't get that lazy vibe at all from her. I thought she has shown how disciplined she can be by keeping out of trouble even under the intense scrutiny of the media. The few times I've seen her out in public with the BRF she seem to hold herself well.
I think with training, in time she will grow into her role as a Princess. I can only judge her from what I've seen of her and I honestly see a beautiful, intelligent woman who has potential to do great things if she really wants to.

The big difference between Kate and Diana IMO is Kate has a man in William who seems to genuinely love her and enjoy her company. They have had the chance to get to know each other for 8 years before they decided to tie the knot.
Kate has a strong anchor in William whereas Diana and Prince Charles seem to me to be the total opposite.

Last edited:
KittyAtlanta said:
...The only vibe I get is that Catherine might turn out to be naturally "lazy."
I get what you're saying but maybe 'lazy' in this case is not embracing her public role yet which I believe she will eventually do but it will be slow going I think-

Last edited by a moderator:

I share your vibe. I hope for Williams sake she'll shake the work-shy image and prove those who doubt her (myself included) wrong.

Unlike his father, William seems outgoing and has great interaction with people.

I have to agree with others on this. Charles 'back in the day' was very engaged - and still is. In fact, regarding William, I just viewed Charles' very first television interview on YouTube, and the contrast between the two men is interesting. Charles at 19 was more engaged with the interviewer and more intellectually adroit than William has demonstrated at age 28. Just two years ago (he was 26) I listened to an interview with William that was unintelligible, one could barely make out his words - a far cry from his father's interview at age 19.

The foregoing is one of the reasons that I question just how intelligent of a King William will be. He doesn't seem to be someone who takes a lively interest in the world - maybe he does, but right now he just seems a 'common bloke', nothing sets him apart except for associations. The most that can be said is that he is agreeable and pleasant. At 28 he seems a lot 'younger' than Charles at the same age.

With her interest in photography Catherine as a member of the BRF has all chances to interest people in modelling for her. I really liked the photos on the Party Pieces homepage, especially those with the children. If Catherine did these, she has a feeling for portrays.

But once she does these kind of pictures, she has something to bargain with the media. The Daily Mail for example will be crazy about publishing pics by a HRH. So they won't dare to write nastily about her because she can retaliate by not selling or giving her pics to them. Diana had only herself and information about herself to barter with the media. That didn't work out because she couldn't control it. Once Catherine has something other than herself to deal with the media, she can control the game. Sort of, at least.

I hope she doesn't ever consider going that route - that is way too commercial for a member of the royal family.
She should be looking at getting some sort of interest and then building on that but at this point in time I have no idea what interests she might have besides William.

Last edited by a moderator:
She should be looking at getting some sort of interest and then building on that but at this point in time I have no idea what interests she might have besides William.

I wonder if she even knows what her interests are....just my opinion

My guess is that she has an interest in Art and History, or she wouldn't have studied it :p

My guess is that she has an interest in Art and History, or she wouldn't have studied it :p

Did she study it out of interest or because that was what William was studying? The Art History course had a spike in enrolments at St Andrews after it was announced that William was going to be studying it.

How do you know that she wasn't already enroled when William decided what to study :p And why should she have gone to Italy after she received her degree??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom