The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Gentry

Longevity in the royal family... By the time William is king there will not be many around that even remembers Diana while she was living....Kate might not even be compared to her by then......

Who knows maybe Wlliam will put off marriage until the last possible time and marry someone years younger.....

Old 08-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

That's not strictly right. When William becomes King there will be a lot of people around who remember who Diana was. And he is more than likely to get married first then become King, so people will certainly know who she was.

Everyone, or nearly everyone will have at least heard Princess Diana's name, and many will know who she was.

When William marrys, her name and her life will be brought out again and the press will have a field day comparing his wife to Diana for many years, when he has children people will talk about his mother and how she treated them, family resemblances etc. When he becomes King, I imagine there will be quite a bit of talk about how things would be different if his mother were around.
So people who were born after she past away will still know who she was, William and Harry will make sure there mother isn't forgotten.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Gentry

Sorry, I really meant, will there be many who remember her when she was living....her wedding, her charities , etc.....

her memory will never be forgotten.....
Old 08-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There will be quite a lot of people IMO, who will be alive when William becomes King who will remember when Diana & Charles got married, when she had William and Harry etc.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think Diana will be forgotten. I agree with you Lumutq, William and Harry will keep her memory alive for as long as they can.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana is William's mother- so if someone wasn't born while she was around I'm sure they'd be curious to know who his mother is. Isn't there a memorial of Diana in London? William and Harry will keep her memory alive in one way or another.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sure there will still be people who remember her personally in say 30 years when William would be becoming King (assuming Charles only lives into his early 90s and he could possibly go for longer than that of course) but increasinly they will be fewer and fewer in number so that in 30 years time she will have been dead for 43 years and therefore the majority of people won't remember her as a living person.

People will be curious about her sure - but actual first hand remembrance - no the majority of people won't have that.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unless those who were alive during Diana's lifetime are wiped out I'm sure there will still be a majority of people who have memories of her alive and there will be a large group of others who do not.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Serene Highness

In 40 years from now, there still will be people around who remember Diana when she was alive. These people will be the minority rather than the majority.However, they will be fewer in number and youngest of them will be in their 60's and 70's age wise. A few baby boomers would still be around but they would be very old (well into their 80's and 90's).
Old 08-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Unless those who were alive during Diana's lifetime are wiped out I'm sure there will still be a majority of people who have memories of her alive and there will be a large group of others who do not.

You do realise that about 20% of the world's population now have no memory of her alive - that is those under 15 (I am assuming that 3 year olds would have a memory of her which is a stretch).

If we take it to 5 year olds then you would have to be nearly 18 now to remember her (and based on the kids I teach who are in their final year at school - 17 - 18 years old) most of them don't have any conscious memory of her alive now - none of my 17 - 18 year olds this year or last year could remember her - and that includes remembering the funeral despite being 4 - 5 when that happened.

Two years ago one or two of them remembered the funeral but most of that class didn't. These kids are now 20 and many of them don't have a concious memory of her alive but only of her death.

In 40 years time they will be 60.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Serene Highness

The only way a young child would remember this would be if their family talk about it a lot. Or it was on the news a lot. My older brother was 4 and he vaguely remembers when JFK died. He does remember Lee Harvey Oswald being shot (this was shown on TV over and over again). This was also talked about over and over again by the media.

I do know that when Princess Diana died and after her funeral, her death was talked about quite a bit, even years after her death. It would be interesting if you went into an American classroom and asked the student body who was between the ages of 5-8 at the time, if they remember this.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Basically from what I am finding the 5 years olds no but the 8 year olds yes - so somewhere between those ages would be the cut off - they are now 18 - 23 and the 18 year olds are definitely no but the 20 year olds some and the 23 years olds yes. These are also kids with the wall to wall coverage due to TV. Interestingly according to the wikipedia article although it does state that it needs a citation 27% of the US population are under 20 - and thus falling into the category of those who wouldn't actually remember Diana as a living being - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra..._United_States

If this holds up world wide (and remember in less developed countries there are people who wouldn't have heard of her anyway due to their access to news sources) then over a quarter of the population already, within 13 years of her death, fall into the category of those who don't remember her. At that rate then in another 13 years about 50% of the population won't and in 26 years nearly three quarters of the population - thus clearly a majority won't remember her if William becomes king in 30 years or more.

As for JFK I was 6 when he died and it made no impression on me probably because the town where I lived didn't have TV at that time - came 2 years later - so we only had radio and newspapers (one local per week and the nationals a day after the big cities) so it simply didn't rate with me or my colleagues. I remember talking to a friend about JFKs assassination when we were teaching it together and his comments were much the same as mine - we didn't know anything about it at the time but another colleage, who was also the same age, but lived in Sydney at the time had some vague memories of black and white images on the TV of the funeral.

I think that is a valid comparison actually as I was within the age range we are talking about and JFK wasn't on the radar (or anything to do with it). The first international happening I remember was the 1968 Olympics and I was 11 that year but with 24 hour TV and multiple channels and the internet now I do thinks that kids now about far more in the world at younger ages but there is still the fact that we don't remember much stuff from when we are younger than about 4 or 5.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I like it too as it will end the whole concept of monarchy sooner rather than later. If they keep marrying commoners then they are simply becoming commoners themselves and then their whole reason for been seen as different goes.
That's a very good point.
But the royal "blood" will still run through their veins.
I don't think marrying commoners will cancel it out.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think it's about the heritage and your standing when your born for the royals. Just because one parent is a commoner doesn't really make the child more common. If you have royalty running in your DNA then you're a royal.

Just my two cents on te subject.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm rather late to this thread so I may be expressing sentiments that have already been aired here.

IMO, the original title is quite misleading because it implies that Kate is already popular; just not as popular as Diana. I have yet to see anything that would suggest that Kate is popular or liked by the British people.

The only place Kate is "popular" is on MBs and usually then it's amongst people who aren't British (JMO). From what I can tell most Brits seem to have quite a low opinion of her, her lifestyle and her family and if she and William do marry then there will need to be a massive PR offensive to clean up her image. IMO.

Personally speaking, I have only ever come across 1 person who had a positive opinion of her and that was my hairdresser- he wanted to "cut some style into her hair" as she seemed "such a lady". His words not mine. 1 man in how many years? It's not exactly promising IMHO.

As for the suggestion that Diana's death won't be remembered by the younger generation, I agree with that to some extent. However, while you contnue to have newspapers like the Daily Express, which regularly run stories about her, then she will remain a part of the British psyche. When William does eventually marry then the press will be filled with comparisons between Diana and William's bride to be.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:

I think that is a valid comparison actually as I was within the age range we are talking about and JFK wasn't on the radar (or anything to do with it). The first international happening I remember was the 1968 Olympics and I was 11 that year but with 24 hour TV and multiple channels and the internet now I do thinks that kids now about far more in the world at younger ages but there is still the fact that we don't remember much stuff from when we are younger than about 4 or 5.

well, my mother was five when JFK died and I can remember her telling me that they announced it in the schools and they had to stop everything.

As for me I was about Five when Diana married and I can remember everything.. Before 5 I don't remember much about worldly things but I surely remember personal stuff that happened when I was about 4.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
well, my mother was five when JFK died and I can remember her telling me that they announced it in the schools and they had to stop everything.

As for me I was about Five when Diana married and I can remember everything.. Before 5 I don't remember much about worldly things but I surely remember personal stuff that happened when I was about 4.

Your mother was in the US whereas I was growing up in a very small country town in Australia. It didn't rate a mention amongst school kids of my age or even older.

Yesterday I was talking to a number of much older people - people now in the 70s and 80s and most of them only have a vague memory of it as the TV coverage here wasn't all that great across the country. A lot of the country simply didn't have any TV until the late 60s and even these people who were in their 20s and 30s didn't take much notice of Kennedy's assassination as it was half a world away and had no bearing on their lives here at that time. None could recall what they were doing when they heard but most assumed they were getting breakfast or simply getting up when they turned on the radio although some said that it would have been later in the day, after they had dropped the kids at school or arrived at work. My brother who was 10 at the time also told me that he had no memory of the event at all and has no memory of anyone talking about it or anything like that. His teachers didn't mention it.

Almost universal TV coverage certainly makes it easier to remember these things.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Sure there will still be people who remember her personally in say 30 years when William would be becoming King (assuming Charles only lives into his early 90s and he could possibly go for longer than that of course) but increasinly they will be fewer and fewer in number so that in 30 years time she will have been dead for 43 years and therefore the majority of people won't remember her as a living person.

People will be curious about her sure - but actual first hand remembrance - no the majority of people won't have that.
Quite right, Iluvbertie. Even nowadays, apart from her fans, not many people are talking about her anymore. Instant world.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
The only place Kate is "popular" is on MBs and usually then it's amongst people who aren't British (JMO). From what I can tell most Brits seem to have quite a low opinion of her, her lifestyle and her family and if she and William do marry then there will need to be a massive PR offensive to clean up her image. IMO.
What are "MBs"? Is that a British slang or am I out of touch with Internet abbreviations?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
What are "MBs"? Is that a British slang or am I out of touch with Internet abbreviations?
Looks like Monarchy Boards to Moi. However! I CAN be wrong!

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana