The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don´t think she will be popular like Diana.
I have the fear that Kate will be unhappy. William loves her, but he is still a Windsor. And she has to be independent from him!

Absolutely NOT!!! I'm sure the media will try to shove her down our throats as the new Diana, as they would anybody William marries, but I highly doubt she'll have the same effect on the world as Lady Di.

KATE HARDLY SELLING ANY MAGAZINES (Editor-In-Chief said this):
"Everyone hoped that Kate would be the new Kim Kardashian. Someone that almost guaranteed great sales,". "However, Kate turned out to be a disaster. She sold so few magazine that you shouldn't expect to see her face on another cover for a long time."

"She's no Diana for sure,". "In fact, she's not even a Kardashian. No one seems to care about her. For all the hype we are seeing on TV about the wedding, when it comes to getting someone to pay $3.99, you need to have a celebrity on the cover that is worth $3.99. I would argue Kate is a 99 cent star at best right now."

I think it's somewhat of a disgrace to compare the two, because Diana had a job before she married Charles, and Kate didn't. She seemed as though she was just waiting on a proposal.

FORMER CO-WORKER SAID THIS after she quit her job:
"Kate is a nice enough girl but she was never what you might call committed to the job. She never worked full-time and appeared to take an inordinate amount of time off to go jetting round the world with her boyfriend. It certainly rubbed a few people here up the wrong way. To be told she would be resting for a while 'looking at other things' didn't exactly come as a surprise. She has always been treated as a special case."

Last edited:
Absolutely NOT!!! I'm sure the media will try to shove her down our throats as the new Diana, as they would anybody William marries, but I highly doubt she'll have the same effect on the world as Lady Di.

KATE HARDLY SELLING ANY MAGAZINES (Editor-In-Chief said this):
"Everyone hoped that Kate would be the new Kim Kardashian. Someone that almost guaranteed great sales,". "However, Kate turned out to be a disaster. She sold so few magazine that you shouldn't expect to see her face on another cover for a long time."

"She's no Diana for sure,". "In fact, she's not even a Kardashian. No one seems to care about her. For all the hype we are seeing on TV about the wedding, when it comes to getting someone to pay $3.99, you need to have a celebrity on the cover that is worth $3.99. I would argue Kate is a 99 cent star at best right now."

I think it's somewhat of a disgrace to compare the two, because Diana had a job before she married Charles, and Kate didn't. She seemed as though she was just waiting on a proposal.

"Kate is a nice enough girl but she was never what you might call committed to the job. She never worked full-time and appeared to take an inordinate amount of time off to go jetting round the world with her boyfriend. It certainly rubbed a few people here up the wrong way. To be told she would be resting for a while 'looking at other things' didn't exactly come as a surprise. She has always been treated as a special case."
I think the era has changed from then also . We are a little too sophisticated too expect that anyone would become a media sensation by power of association and marriage. Diana was a special and extenuating case in point..

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yeah, I agree with you about that. In this era, today's Royalty are Hollywood and A-List Celebrities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry you make me laught :lol:; what job did Diana have prior to her wedding :lol: she was looking after some kiddies of family-friends .. for some hours a week - please, what job is that? it's Baby-sitting, I did that as a girl with 14years old :ROFLMAO:

Kate was also waiting around to get married - but honestly it would have asked a lot of determination to get a carrier, in the position she was .. as girlfriend of wiliam - she hadn't much choices left.

Sorry you make me laught :lol:; what job did Diana have prior to her wedding :lol: she was looking after some kiddies of family-friends .. for some hours a week - please, what job is that? it's Baby-sitting, I did that as a girl with 14years old :ROFLMAO:

Kate was also waiting around to get married - but honestly it would have asked a lot of determination to get a carrier, in the position she was .. as girlfriend of wiliam - she hadn't much choices left.
I tuly agree with this one......... but they just want to be considered for the normal award by by the world ;not taking servants and staff; it takes a healthy self esteem to get a job any job and keep it; even if that is baby sitting. Her marriage will be her career.

Kate had a job, and a better one than Dianas.

it takes a healthy self esteem to get a job any job and keep it; even if that is baby sitting. Her marriage will be her career.

Yet we know from the evidence that Diana did not have a healthy self-esteem - her relationship to the press an example. Catherine appears to have it - she seems to have clear boundaries and knows where her priorities are - she is not playing to the press.

Actual questions, not trying to make a point

Kate had a job, and a better one than Dianas.
How long did Diana work? Kate seemed to work for only 3 months and for friends of her family. I don't remember but was Diana labeled work-shy? Did people have as many complaints or were as weary of Diana as they are of Kate?

How long did Diana work? - I don't know.
Diana was a new thing, she was on the scene for a short time then became Charles' wife, there wasn't 9 years of waiting for an engagement and the public weren't that involved in the relationship as they are now.

Kate has/ still is as far as I know working for her family, Diana as someone said worked in a nursery for friends of her family.

Wasn't she a nursery-assistant?

Last edited:
my understanding is that Diana worked as a pre-school assistant and as a nanny for an american family prior to marrying charles.

How long did Diana work? Kate seemed to work for only 3 months and for friends of her family. I don't remember but was Diana labeled work-shy? Did people have as many complaints or were as weary of Diana as they are of Kate?

Diana had almost no actual work experience prior to becoming engaged to Prince Charles; to be fair, she was barely out of her teens when this happened. She didn't do especially well in school, according to biographies I've read, and she wasn't especially well educated. Diana's real job, as it was for a good number of well born young women at that time, was to find a suitable husband.

Kate, on the other hand, has a good degree from a good university and she's worked for much longer than 3 months. She said in the interview at the time of the engagement she's been working for her family's business. She's fortunate that was an option, IMO, as it would have allowed her to earn some income while being much more protected from the press than she would have been at any other job.

Based on what I Know now I LIKE Catherine better

I think this quote says it all. It appears impossible for those close - or even potentially close - to the monarch to have normal work lives. This is what comes of even the attempt to work. It seems that privacy is just not possible. She was lucky to have a family that could employ her where she could have some protection.

I think this quote says it all. It appears impossible for those close - or even potentially close - to the monarch to have normal work lives. This is what comes of even the attempt to work. It seems that privacy is just not possible. She was lucky to have a family that could employ her where she could have some protection.

Agreed, not only a privacy issue, but most likely a "jealousy" issue as well. Those comments, IMO, come laden with a certain agenda. I doubt anyone would be able to hold down a job and NOT come away without comments and attitude of those expressed. The woman would have had to work a 70 hour week in order not to get negative comments and even then there would be someone complaining about the possibility of her wanting to "take over". :lol:

Diana's real job, as it was for a good number of well born young women at that time, was to find a suitable husband.

In that she was spectacularly successful. One wonders what would have become of her had Amanda Knatchbull said yes to Charles' proposal in the spring of 1980. Charles was being pressured to get a wife - Diana was keen on getting a husband - the Perfect Storm!

As for Catherine, its clear she loves William - it appears that they are both marrying their first love. Interesting - and they have had plenty of time to shake down the relationship. I think Catherine's intellect, education and artistic sensibilities (Italy!) will stand her in good stead as princess (or duchess, or lady - whatever they do with that). Catherine is older, has sound family ties and possesses inner resources that would have enabled her to have a professional life outside of being Royal. Catherine had a future whichever way the cookie crumbled.

In the end, I think Catherine will command more respect than Diana. I don't believe Diana's 'popularity' was really that in the larger scheme of things. She was more of a scandal really - that's not popularity. Diana reduced everything to salacious gossip and my view of her was that she had become an embarrassment. I don't think Catherine would ever engage in anything that low-brow - that's my 'read' of her. I may be wrong but I have hopes that she will conduct herself in an upright fashion. She has had good role models in her parents - and William is close with them - so it bodes well. I have a suspicion Catherine will be popular with the Queen. We'll see.

Catherine's ..., education

The current generation of Crown Princesses are under-educated (i.e., without master's degree, which is very important to me personally). Sadly, Crown Princess Masako has not completed her graduate degree. Ms. Middleton will join a downgraded circle of housewives with titles.

Last edited:
I think that, for many people, Catherine will be respected for the way she waited patiently for her prince. Patience does not seem a virtue these days, but Kate has shown them how!

I don't think all of them excepting Princess Masako are under-educated:how about Princess Leticia who worked as a journalist before marriage.After all Kate has a university degree

:previous:
Different people, different standards.

Yes, and a prestigious degree, seeing as it comes from St. Andrew's.

As to the other crown princesses, they will each have had a "training programme" before marrying their spouses.

Interesting to read different views on this issue. I consider a bachelor's degree is a good education for a crown princess, especially of the consort variety. I think Kate's was a four year degree, too, and from a highly regarded institution. I would be surprised if someone with post-graduate qualifications would want the job, unless her spouse was equally well educated and they had a common interest in the subject studied.

I doubt that the fact Kate has a tertiary education will have any bearing on whether or not she becomes more popular than Diana.

Interesting to read different views on this issue. I consider a bachelor's degree is a good education for a crown princess, especially of the consort variety. I think Kate's was a four year degree, too, and from a highly regarded institution. I would be surprised if someone with post-graduate qualifications would want the job, unless her spouse was equally well educated and they had a common interest in the subject studied.

I doubt that the fact Kate has a tertiary education will have any bearing on whether or not she becomes more popular than Diana.

I agree with the analysis of Kate's degree and the lack of one for Diana. Diana knew that she wasn't book smart but that she loved children so she had two jobs: as a nanny and a worker at a school for young children. Diana was also very people-smart. That is something that can not be taught in school. This people-smart skills gave her the ability to succeed even excel in a humanitarian environment.

As for the degree requirement....I don't think you need one to be a good consort. Some people might not be able to afford a degree but still be very smart. The character of the person therefore is more important to me. I would also prefer someone with a work history instead. After all anyone with a degree can simply sit on their butts and do nothing.

:previous: I agree that a degree is not necessary to be a good consort. There are plenty of people out there who don't have a tertiary eduction but who have been very successful in various fields, and having a degree is no guarantee that the holder will spark or sparkle in any way.

I do, however, think that art history covers lots of topics that will add an extra dimension to Kate's understanding and enjoyment of her role. As well as painting, sculpture and architecture, she will have acquired a knowledge of world history, historical personalities, philosophy, religion, sociology and all the other subjects touched on in such a ourse. Instead of just being aware she is in a beautiful old mansion full of antiques, she will be aware of the style of the building, the political circumstances at the time it was built, and will recognise paintings, etc. she sees there. Assuming the owner or occupier has a similar interest in his/her surroundings, she will be able to discuss these things with them, or at least afterwards with William. When she travels, she will have advance knowledge of some of the history of the places she visits. I think that her education will be a big plus.

It has been a seemingly long time from the betrothal. And even with the announcement I do not think it generated any more liking of Kate.We have gotten to know her a bit by her actions.Certainly she is a discreet person but not highly captivating.Kate is about stability.
No one can ever be like Diana and popularity aside no one can match Diana.

As for the degree requirement....I don't think you need one to be a good consort. Some people might not be able to afford a degree but still be very smart. The character of the person therefore is more important to me. I would also prefer someone with a work history instead. After all anyone with a degree can simply sit on their butts and do nothing.

I agree!
A degree doesn't necessarily mean a person is well-educated. Many people simply coast along and do as little work as possible to graduate.

On the other hand, a person can educate himself through extensive reading.
I think this is more important that having a piece of paper from an institution.

Bottom line: train the press; co-operate when they are being good puppies, and punish them when they are not.

Exactly, and like with training a puppy, I think consistency will be key. :) They can't make nice with the press and relax their standards when it suits them and then push them away the next day. Some of the frenzy surrounding Diana was beyond her control but let's not forget there were plenty of times when she actively contributed to the madness. I think so far William has shown he has a very different attitude towards the media than his mother did - he's set up clear and consistent guidelines about what he'll tolerate and, (as far as I know), has never deviated from them. I see Kate as having a similar attitude.

So, no, I don't think either William or Kate will ever be as "popular" as Diana because that sort of popularity requires a level of cooperation and compromise with the British and international media that I think they'll go out of their way to avoid, especially since William witnessed the downside of Diana-mania first hand.

I agree that a degree is not necessary to be a good consort. There are plenty of people out there who don't have a tertiary eduction but who have been very successful in various fields, and having a degree is no guarantee that the holder will spark or sparkle in any way.

I do, however, think that art history covers lots of topics that will add an extra dimension to Kate's understanding and enjoyment of her role. As well as painting, sculpture and architecture, she will have acquired a knowledge of world history, historical personalities, philosophy, religion, sociology and all the other subjects touched on in such a course. Instead of just being aware she is in a beautiful old mansion full of antiques, she will be aware of the style of the building, the political circumstances at the time it was built, and will recognize paintings, etc. she sees there. Assuming the owner or occupier has a similar interest in his/her surroundings, she will be able to discuss these things with them, or at least afterwards with William. When she travels, she will have advance knowledge of some of the history of the places she visits. I think that her education will be a big plus.

While I agree that a degree does not guarantee anything, I think we can safely assume - given Catherine's exam results - that Catherine has intellectual curiosity and a well-trained mind - which bodes well for her children. Catherine is in fact potentially the saving grace for this monarchial line which got a dose of less than sterling intellectual genes recently.

Also, if indeed this marriage 'cools' and goes the route of accommodation, Catherine will be more likely to have the ability to really carve out an interesting niche for herself around the arts. She has the potential for being a very intelligent consort, having an impact as patroness in various areas - in her case, the arts - like Charles with his areas of interest.

No one can ever be like Diana and popularity aside no one can match Diana.

I don't think anyone should ever try to aspire to be like Diana. Diana was not a person to emulate IMO. Nor was Diana really as wildly 'popular' as people seem to believe. She was a scandal, she gained notoriety - not the same thing as 'popularity' - and it was the scandal that 'sold' the papers.

Diana was physically beautiful and had a fabulous fashion sense. She was also the consummate actress. That's it. She would have done well as a model. Those attributes are fine but I would hope Catherine has higher goals for herself. If Catherine is respected she will have achieved a lot. Diana was not respected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom