The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, neither do I. I cannot recall any instance of reports of crowds wanting Charles rather than Diana. From the beginning, they all wanted to be near Diana.

That's very true, because she was herself, expressing warmth and concern and compassion to each person who was there to reach out to her. She exuded caring and the wish to help others, the masses were drawn to her sincerity and naturalness. She was never stiff and dismissive. She never wanted the attention, it was just showered on her because she was what the people wanted in a princess, down to earth and loving, not standoffish and dismissive. Her smile and her looks of concern and compassion were magnetic. She was devoted to the people, and they to her. She was never in competition with other members of the royal family. The people were drawn to her by her great love for them. She shook hands without gloves and was self effacing and humble.

Will Kate be like that? Quite posssibly to some degree. It may be partly what attracted William to her.

I think we live in a different world these days, both in terms of the approach & style of the media & the way it's transmitted but also in terms of what the general public expect, want & will accept from their public figures/Royal family. I don't think we'd ever be able to get anyone who gets that Diana-mania reaction quite like she had, particularly like she had in the 80s just after the marriage to Charles. A lot has changed since then.

I also don't think Kate should aim to accomplish anything like that specifically, she should just be herself, find her own interests, causes, path, whatever it may be & don't try to emulate Diana purposefully. I think she's in a bit of a no win situation though as the media will (and already are) looking for any Diana link they can possibly musterwith Kate whether it be the ring choice, clothing & style choices, photographs etc. At least she doesn't look anything like Diana in superficial terms, at least the media can't do the thing they'd probably absolutely love to do which would be to have a 100% Diana clone turn up for them. At least Kate in a simple & superficial sense of just actually having different hair colour, style etc has a bit of obvious separation/distinctness from Diana. I only hope the media don't force the Diana comparison too much over the years whether in good terms or bad.

What set Diana apart was her collusion with the press.

I think this is a very important factor to take into account when considering Diana's life and her relationship with the press and the people. From the start she involved the press, drawing attention to herself, and accordingly drawing them into her life. The press did not merely observe and report on her life, but were a part of it, there at her invitation, and it was therefore virtually impossible to exclude them from her life when she eventually decided to set limits on their access to her.

From that first report of her on the riverbank walking away from Charles towards the tree she hid behind and then looking at the photographers with a mirror, Diana was drawing attention to herself and inviting the press to pursue her. She was a dream come true for them. There was also that photo of her out riding with the Queen. HM was just riding, head down, facing the front, but Diana was looking back at the cameraman, drawing the press into her private life once again. These are two examples which have always struck me as particularly significant.

William grew up in that world with an unhappy mother who had this love/hate relationship with the press. One day she would phone them to tip them off to what she would be doing at a given time, and the next she would be complaining they were intrusive. I'm not surprised he doesn't trust them and wants to keep them at a respectful distance. The rest of his time he lived in his father's world where he didn't have a moment's privacy because of the ever-present servants. We know Diana didn't trust Charles' servants and her own "rock" has proven to be less than trustworthy. In the circumstances I am not at all surprised that William has decided he wants to limit the presence of servants in his life.

I don't think his declaration of intention to not have servants can be taken to mean he does not want to be Royal, just that his privacy in his private life is particularly important to him and his fiancee. I expect they'll have a cleaner and perhaps an occasional cook, but they'll want to be alone together most of the time. They know from experience that that they can survive very nicely without servants squeezing toothpaste onto their toothbrushes or setting out their morning cornflakes, and I am sure that even as Prince of Wales William and Kate will be able to organise their home life so they can have more privacy than Charles deems necessary.

I don't think that Kate has the charisma that Diana had. Though as other posters have pointed out that can be both a good thing and a bad thing. Her popularity now seems to stem from her engagement. If that will change I have no idea, but I remember once reading that the palace told Diana that the media attention would decrease after she got married when in fact it increased. That could be the case for Kate as well. I would say it would determine how well she "sells" but I have read that the magazines with her on the cover are not selling as well as they thought they would and they still put them on the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in that respect the press are desperate for a 'new' Diana whom they can hound and pursue, all in order to sell.

Newsflash: there won't ever be another Diana, Catherine is Catherine and should remain that.

From that first report of her on the riverbank walking away from Charles towards the tree she hid behind and then looking at the photographers with a mirror, Diana was drawing attention to herself and inviting the press to pursue her. She was a dream come true for them. There was also that photo of her out riding with the Queen. HM was just riding, head down, facing the front, but Diana was looking back at the cameraman, drawing the press into her private life once again. These are two examples which have always struck me as particularly significant.

Boundaries. She always crossed that boundary. Catherine does not appear to have a problem of boundaries. If anything, her sense of boundaries and private life will be interpreted as aloofness - and that will annoy.I have a hunch that Catherine will prove to be amiable, polite, well-dressed and well-mannered - in all ways acceptable - but she will maintain an aloofness which will get interpreted - perhaps - depending, as coldness. Danger for her lies with the vagaries of public opinion and the 'needs' of the tabloid press to sell copy, but we shall see. Likely she will have a grace period for the sake of William. It could tip either way - but my hunch is, it will tip negative if the PR is not exactly handled. What an interesting next few years it will be.

I think Catherine presages a profound change in the Royal Family in ways unexpected. A hunch. :cool:

Last edited:
I suspect that much of Diana's early responses to the press which have been noted here were due to her youth. She was only 19/20 and very inexperienced. I think it was an openess and playfulness which got out of hand. Once the press got that "playful" response they were not going to let it go. I don't really think it was her intent, I think it was just a young girl being silly and not realizing the implications of what she was doing, which in any other life situation wouldn't have been a big deal, except here it was the Princess of Wales.

I suspect that much of Diana's early responses to the press which have been noted here were due to her youth. She was only 19/20 and very inexperienced. I think it was an openess and playfulness which got out of hand. Once the press got that "playful" response they were not going to let it go. I don't really think it was her intent, I think it was just a young girl being silly and not realizing the implications of what she was doing, which in any other life situation wouldn't have been a big deal, except here it was the Princess of Wales.

I think you make very good points here.

Kate will never be another Diana because Diana knew the inner workings of the royal machine and Kate apperas to be quite clueless.
If Kate has agreed to this not hiring of staff I would say that it is the first time she has royally made a mistake.You would think that both of them would show a bit more maturity and stop identifying with the masses to such an extent.
For how long will Kate get up to feed the baby and take the vaccuum to her home.?

I don't agree that Daina knew the inner workings of anything, for that matter it is my opinion that she was very lost in the Royal Famiy.

I also don't agree that it is a mistake for Kate and William not to have staff in the first couple of years of the married life. Their alone time it very important to them.

Who do you think runs her vaccuum now? Lets let them get married before thinking of who will get up to fed the baby..

Kate will never be another Diana because Diana knew the inner workings of the royal machine and Kate apperas to be quite clueless.

If Diana knew the inner workings, why did she behave the way she did and made the mistakes she made?

Good points.

Diana was amazed at how she was immediately hounded by the press, giving them no encouragement at all.

You only have to look at the papers today to see the paparazzi are hounding Kate Middleton in the same way Diana was previously being hounded,” he said.

Prince William's girlfriend Kate Middleton being 'hounded like Diana' | The Australian

Already she is so popular that copies of Kate's apparel sell out in minutes. The travel bureaus are rushed with bookings to London for the wedding next April.

Diana was amazed at how she was immediately hounded by the press, giving them no encouragement at all.
That's not quite true - Diana gave tons of encouragement. She very quickly played peek-a-boo with the press. She may have gone in clueless (maybe) but she quickly acclimated to the game.

If you watch, Catherine has not given the press encouragement - head down and no eye contact from the period of your article, 2008.

Also, events like these are not about the individuals so much, I think. Bookings are for the event. Its not possible (or maybe for some it is) to like or dislike Catherine at this point. Its the event that is the draw.

I think Prince Wiliam and Catherine suit each other as they appear to agree on these ideas about no staff and other things. I have to agree that I feel Catherine is a bit "aloof " and distanced from the "press".It maybe a tactical move on her part or she maybe just a bit removed from things. Anywhich way I cannot seem to understand much about her.Nor am I inspired to do so.

I have to agree that I feel Catherine is a bit "aloof " and distanced from the "press".It maybe a tactical move on her part or she maybe just a bit removed from things. Anywhich way I cannot seem to understand much about her.Nor am I inspired to do so.

Now when you really think about it, who does this remind you of? To me, this statement also could very well be describing the Queen and her public persona. It really is quite rare that we get a glimpse into the private thoughts and actions of HM. The "raciest" tidbit on this lady was over the hat she wore to church on Christmas. Perhaps William and Kate are emulating the master of handling the press?

Boundaries. She always crossed that boundary. Catherine does not appear to have a problem of boundaries. If anything, her sense of boundaries and private life will be interpreted as aloofness - and that will annoy.I have a hunch that Catherine will prove to be amiable, polite, well-dressed and well-mannered - in all ways acceptable - but she will maintain an aloofness which will get interpreted - perhaps - depending, as coldness. Danger for her lies with the vagaries of public opinion and the 'needs' of the tabloid press to sell copy, but we shall see. Likely she will have a grace period for the sake of William. It could tip either way - but my hunch is, it will tip negative if the PR is not exactly handled. What an interesting next few years it will be.

I think Catherine presages a profound change in the Royal Family in ways unexpected. A hunch. :cool:

I am curious do you think that these changes are for the positive or for the negative?

Osipi, I think that while the "aloofness" works for the Queen it may not work for a more "modern" way of doing things. After all the Queen's "aloofness" centers around the times she grew-up in. The royal family was treated and behaved in a manner that no longer exists for the most part. Do you think otherwise?

Last edited:
I am curious do you think that these changes are for the positive or for the negative?

Osipi, I think that while the "aloofness" works for the Queen it may not work for a more "modern" way of doing things. After all the Queen's "aloofness" centers around the times she grew-up in. The royal family was treated and behaved in a manner that no longer exists for the most part. Do you think otherwise?

I think after almost 2 decades of the media sensationalizing the ins and outs of the lives of the BRF and treating them more as celebrities that live their lives in the public eye for the public's entertainment than representatives of a nation, it would be a positive step forward to emulate not only the Queen, but also many other senior royals who keep their private lives just that... private. If William and Catherine are to be the eventual King and Queen Consort of a nation perhaps the earliest they do set the groundwork as to what will and will not be acceptable as far as intrusion into their lives is best done now. Being a bit "aloof" and setting limits could be a very positive thing.

I think that having an expectation of 'warmth and caring' from a person in that position is a mistake. Pleasant, polite, well-spoken - add in good grooming, always a plus - that seems as much as a 'public' has a right to. Maintaining boundaries is not 'old fashioned' - every celebrity worth their salt knows that the boundary between public and private is essential. Those who forget that line live exceedingly stressed lives - sometimes losing their sense of self, and being robbed of peace and normalcy in the private realm. I would suggest that what the public experienced with Diana was not normal nor healthy and should be striven to be avoided at all costs.

Regarding Catherine being a sea-change? Not in herself, or because of herself. She may wind up being the very best of royal wives - but because William, in choosing Catherine as his wife, breaks the 'deal' for being Royal. Unlike other commoners who have married into Royalty, she does not bring real-world accomplishments of any significance to the marriage - nor really does William. She does not stand in her own right - like does, say, oh, say Princess Maxima. :D :p At least Catherine is university educated - as Diana was not - but there is a de-intellectualizing of the Royal line happening, as well as other things, that leads one to surmise that the line might pass to another 'branch' of the family or simply get dropped altogether.

Yes, I think so too. I can't see how a person can possibly stay "grounded" when they're seeing their lives through someone else's lenses. It's sad that we've become such an image-oriented society, but we have. I think that I'd rather be accused of being aloof rather than being known as someone who puts altogether too much emphasis into what kind of public impression I'm making. William and Kate have shown that they can live their lives quite well away from the spotlight. And surely those who genuinely care about the monarchy and care about them as people would want them not to be torn down by the same media that first builds them up; and I think that happens most to people who court the media. K & W should start as they intent to go on IMO.

it would be a positive step forward to emulate not only the Queen, but also many other senior royals who keep their private lives just that... private. ....Being a bit "aloof" and setting limits could be a very positive thing.

QUOTE from Tyger: "I would suggest that what the public experienced with Diana was not normal nor healthy and should be striven to be avoided at all costs."

Absolutely agree, I bet if Diana could have went back in time she would have done things differently. Toward the end I recall Diana at some event she was at where she just breaks down in tears with everyone staring and cameras on her and that said everything. She seemed to have everything and nothing all at once. Those extreme highs and lows and so much praise and blame and just no personal space with the press would terrorize anyone.

If Kate/Catherine did manage to "achieve" that level of attention suddenly we all know the press would behave in the same way. So in my mind it is good she does not seem anywhere near as likely, or motivated to do that. As of now anyway.

I have fun reading about the royal/princely families and take most things good or bad with a grain of salt and trust my instincts which are usually right, so I don't even need that so invasive, too sugary sweet, or too harsh reporting as there was with Diana.

Last edited:
Regarding Catherine being a sea-change? Not in herself, or because of herself. She may wind up being the very best of royal wives - but because William, in choosing Catherine as his wife, breaks the 'deal' for being Royal. Unlike other commoners who have married into Royalty, she does not bring real-world accomplishments of any significance to the marriage - nor really does William. She does not stand in her own right - like does, say, oh, say Princess Maxima. :D :p At least Catherine is university educated - as Diana was not - but there is a de-intellectualizing of the Royal line happening, as well as other things, that leads one to surmise that the line might pass to another 'branch' of the family or simply get dropped altogether.

I personally feel we haven't yet seen the accomplishments of Catherine. She came to London to work but instead she was hounded and harrassed by the media till she quitted her job and London and "retired" to her parents' home and firm. As I see it, she tried very hard not to attract negative comments for what she did and in doing so she attracted negative comments about her lack of doing something.

It still remains to be seen what kind of personality Catherine has once she can do things that interest her in public. I mean, noone in his right mind goes to Italy and then studies history of art for 4 years if that person is not interested in art.

So I hope for pics of Catherine and William attending vernissages etc. I hope they'll give the media enough opportunities to photograph their love and their life as a young couple but I hope as well that their private life will remain just that: private and theirs alone.

Yes, I think so too. I can't see how a person can possibly stay "grounded" when they're seeing their lives through someone else's lenses. It's sad that we've become such an image-oriented society, but we have. I think that I'd rather be accused of being aloof rather than being known as someone who puts altogether too much emphasis into what kind of public impression I'm making. William and Kate have shown that they can live their lives quite well away from the spotlight.

But will they be allowed to?
I think the engagement may have changed many things in that regard; Kate is no longer just another girl dating William, but a presumably future queen.

I'm not so certain the press will back off just because they will try to stay out of the spotlight.
(Yes, Edward and Sophie manage, but only because nobody much cares, in their case. They never have been able to sell papers, at least in the USA.)

But William? He has been a media darling all his life, and now that he's marrying, I can't see the press bowing out politely to allow him to go about his business.

But I suppose time will tell.

:previous: I think William will be very firm about this. He has seen first hand the results of allowing the press to intrude into a person's life, and I suspect he might consider that the ultimate blame for his mother's death lies with the paparazzi photographers who were chasing her car. I think he will set very definite limits for the press and will not tolerate transgressions. We will see what William wants us to see of their lives, and no more. I would not underestimate his determination on this issue.

:previous: I think William will be very firm about this. He has seen first hand the results of allowing the press to intrude into a person's life, and I suspect he might consider that the ultimate blame for his mother's death lies with the paparazzi photographers who were chasing her car. I think he will set very definite limits for the press and will not tolerate transgressions. We will see what William wants us to see of their lives, and no more. I would not underestimate his determination on this issue.

What can he actually do to set limits for the press?
They do as they please, no matter what any of the RF say.

Sure, he can ask them to leave him and his wife alone, but if they ignore his request, he's helpless.

What can he actually do to set limits for the press?
They do as they please, no matter what any of the RF say.

Sure, he can ask them to leave him and his wife alone, but if they ignore his request, he's helpless.

There's a limit to what they can do, but he's not helpless.

He can be aloof, not smile, not stop for photo-ops, set police perimeters way back from them at official events so the press pests can't hound them up close, have their press liaison people not give the press information about what they're doing, times of arrival and departure, etc. Generally not co-operate with the press, just issue press releases and pre-recorded interviews and be availasble only when it suits them. And complain and sue when there's a breach.

Bottom line: train the press; co-operate when they are being good puppies, and punish them when they are not.

I think after almost 2 decades of the media sensationalizing the ins and outs of the lives of the BRF and treating them more as celebrities that live their lives in the public eye for the public's entertainment than representatives of a nation, it would be a positive step forward to emulate not only the Queen, but also many other senior royals who keep their private lives just that... private. If William and Catherine are to be the eventual King and Queen Consort of a nation perhaps the earliest they do set the groundwork as to what will and will not be acceptable as far as intrusion into their lives is best done now. Being a bit "aloof" and setting limits could be a very positive thing.

Agreed..I just think that once you open the door you can't close it again. So I have my doubts about whether or not they would be successful.

Tyger, I agree with your analysis of William and Kate. Although I would disagree about your caring comment. The royals should be seen as caring just don't go overboard. If they act indifferent then people would accuse them of being too "royal"

Last edited:
Indifference is exactly the opposite way they should act.

They will need to show empathy [which seems like something so many can't practise nowdays :cool:] in order to compel people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom