The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Serene Highness

I think Wills has exploited Kate.I feel he has dragged this relationship on for a very long time now.Kate is going to be twenty nine next year- in a couple of months as a matter of factnext January and I think she should seriously crack that whip before time flies and she really has become a "waitie katie".
I wish these two- and if it depends on Wills would speed it up just a bit- thank you very much
As for Kate's popularity I await the day of the announcement and then I may say.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

You only have to look at the history of the Vanderbilt family and their quest to become a part of the Social Register in NY.
Ah! Alma Vanderbilt! William's first wife. A more social climber I do not know if there was one. Totally destroyed her daughter Consuelo's life so she could railroad (no pun intended!) her daughter into marrying the Duke of Marlbourgh.
It was told she threw a party once, when she wasn't accepted, where she invited everybody except Mrs. Astor. It was to be a heck of a shindig and everybody who was anybody was invited. Except Mrs. Astor. So! One day Mrs. Aston came calling. . . and Alma had arrived. . . .

Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I feel like he's dragged the relationship for too long too.
I think they should wait as long as they want, but I do think it's wrong to drag it on if he has no intention of marrying her. That's wrong to me.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Gentry

Kate Middleclass shouldn't be with the future King, whatever happened to marriage within Royalty or nobility?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest008 View Post
Kate Middleclass shouldn't be with the future King, whatever happened to marriage within Royalty or nobility?
I don't think Kate should marry Will, but I definitely do not think he should marry within royalty. Thank God those days are over. Like I said before, I like the way they're marrying commoners now.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Majesty

I like it too as it will end the whole concept of monarchy sooner rather than later. If they keep marrying commoners then they are simply becoming commoners themselves and then their whole reason for been seen as different goes.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest008 View Post
At least someone from the nobility would be nice. I think it's unlikely he'll marry another royal lady.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic.......remember.....Will Kate be more popular than Diana?

Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Nobility

I think she will be at least as popular as Diana was. I think we will see her transition into role of Princess just as Mary has in Denmark; before her engagement, Mary was fiercely private about her relationship with Frederick. Following the engagement, it became clear how solid their relationship is, how much they love each other, what a great team they make and how much she has prepared for her role as princess. I think we will see Kate go through a very similar transition. Just like Mary, Kate has a natural elegance, beauty, and warmth about her. When she transitions from a private role into a public role, I think the public will forgive whatever misgivings or criticisms that exist now.

There are very few "stars" in the British Royal family these days. I don't see Harry and his future wife taking a major role and his cousins Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie seem to be very happy having their own lives and settling into the background. This will all place Kate and William very naturally into the spotlight. Camilla is never going to be a dazzling member of the royal family- even when she becomes Queen. In contrast, I think Kate is going to be very popular.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

^ Well said.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think she will, no. Kate has too many negative labels already and too much criticism. It would take a major PR overhaul at this point.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Will Kate be more popular than Diana?
Yes, because of modern tabloid culture--it's grown far more than when Diana rose to prominence. Besides, Kate is representing something aspirational for other middle-class girls, well the ones who aspire to have that kind of life anyway. But it was a road to fame and nowadays kids want to be famous in any way they can.

Will she be as worshiped as Di? No. Will she be obsessed over? Yes. She's far more mysterious.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Let's get back on topic.......remember.....Will Kate be more popular than Diana?
I say no, there are people who just have the It Factor. Diana did have it, in spades, but Kate doesn't. I'm sure she's a nice girl and all, but she doesn't grab my attention the way Diana did.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really don't know if she will be more popular than the Princess but we shall wait and see. Perhaps she will be as popular as Diana. I don't see the it factor that Diana had in Kate maybe she'll grow into it. Kate is not that popular here in the states which surprises me.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Serene Highness

When I think about it, I don't know that much about Kate. If she marries Williams, perhaps we will get to know her better.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
If she marries Williams, perhaps we will get to know her better.
Get to know her better? Maybe not, but we'll never hear the end of it. From the engagement announcement on, the circus will start and the more colour and movement up front the more the real Kate/Catherine Middleton will tend to withdraw to protect her sense of private self while learning to greet the public with the expected princess poise and practiced warmth. She'll have the Windsor minders and advisers and PR ops at every turn and she'll be careful not to let her guard down too much or let slip anything too revealing. Her copy of the Princess Handbook will highlight discretion and be quite clear that neither public exuberance nor media-tarting are approved activities in the twenty-teens.

"Will we get to know her better?" Superficially, but probably not that much. It's unlikely we'll ever know exactly what she thinks or what her attitudes to social and political issues of the day may be and she'll avoid exposing herself to detailed scrutiny. It may come to the stage where we've "known" her for many years but know nothing much about her at all. Sort of like now.

But it may not really matter. Most of us have no experience of any British Monarch other than Elizabeth II. Almost sixty years on the throne and likely quite a few more to come. And what do we know about her? Surprisingly little. It's much the same with the late and beloved Queen Mother: in the public eye for close on 80 years and the "real" person was almost as opaque behind the chiffon in 2002 as she was when she married.

In other words, we don't need to know that much, but only that which we observe or believe them to possess: a sense of duty, decency, steadfastness and kindness, with a hint of largely unseen mischievious fun and humour that adds to the personal appeal. That's probably enough for most people to feel they "know" a major royal figure. Less is more and if anything else is required, we can always project it onto them.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

IMHO the question should not be if she becomes as or more popular than Diana. We should wonder if she earns the respect HM and the QM earned throughout their service to their country. William will after all become King and the question is, if Kate would be a worthwhile Queen consort. This is a lifelong career and perhaps not too many commoners can live up to its standards.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
IMHO the question should not be if she becomes as or more popular than Diana. We should wonder if she earns the respect HM and the QM earned throughout their service to their country. William will after all become King and the question is, if Kate would be a worthwhile Queen consort. This is a lifelong career and perhaps not too many commoners can live up to its standards.
We shouldn't compare KM to The Queen, she isn't going to be Queen in her own right and she's not going to have to go through everything she has.
Also QM was Queen through a World War, I don't honestly think KM will be. The attitude towards the royal family when Elizabeth, The Queen Mother was alive was completely different as to how any wife of William's will be treated.

Yes some wife of William's is going to be Queen Consort and yes they should prove to the country that they are worthy of the title. But whoever they are shouldn't have to live up to how HM and QM were because they were both Queens at very different times in history.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

In her own right as the Queen or as a consort as the QM, William's wife will always be compared to her predecessors. One cannot read the future and cannot say if she is going to live through another war but having said that, the QM's service extended much longer than the war years. William's wife will have big shoes to fill and she better (whoever she ends up to be) be prepared to do a stellar job. The more things change the more they stay the same and even with all those modern winds blowing through the royal houses of Europe, if royalty is to remain in the Palaces they have to continue traditions the old fashioned way.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Yes she will have a lot to live up to, but you can't say ask will she get the same respect as her pre-decessors because the people who gave them respect, are more than likely no longer around. KM will live in a different age, and the people who might/will give her respect are completely different from the people who were around in the Elizabeths era.
I cannot read the future, which is why I put I honestly don't think we are going to go through another war yet.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana