The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I meane the opposite. She will always be the one who got her man.

I tend to think of it as they both have got each other. From the way things seem to be progressing, they will both be very adamant as to what's what in their future from having a more public wedding, to the warnings to the press about invasion of privacy and also to the fact that both sets of in-laws will be equally as important to them.

This is one team that will very much be working with and for each other without their own agenda.

I think Kate will "play" well her role,but she won't be as popular as Diana was.Diana was the one who opened the gates of humanity,Kate and William will continue.

i think she will be popular in her own right but not as popular as diana also, she seems to have a handle on who she is and has live some before marrage also she had a real career with its own set of stresses so i think she will do just fine in the popularity area and will be able to handle the stress that comes with it

Kate will be Kate. No more and no less. Her popularity will be determined by how she carries herself, the charities and organizations she throws her name and weight behind and overall how she stands the test of time as William's wife, and later consort.

I think it's damn impossible to determine whether or not she'll be more popular than __________ only because both Kate and whomever she's being compared to come from vastly different times with different expectations put upon them.

I dont think Kate gonna be more popular than Diana .With Diana is totally different story in fame.But I do think Kate is gonna be popular in other things .

I think that Kate might end up being just as popular as Diana in the long run. She won't be thrust into doing a lot of engagements right away, because she won't be the Princess of Wales on the day she gets married. She'll have time to have more privacy with her growing family over the years and learn to be a Princess gradually. We might not even see her in a tiara for awhile--unless perhaps on her wedding day, because Prince William hasn't taken part in State Banquets as yet.

As I see it, Catherine has had enough time to learn about Diana and how to avoid being the object of such mania. I personally doubt very much that she wants to be as popular as her late mother-in-law-to-be, for she surely knows what high price Diana payed for her fame. Plus Catherine comes from a stable family where she surely learned that it's much better to be part of the team than to be the star of it. Stardom makes lonely, while a good teamplayer always find the support of the others when needed. I hope she will form a good relationship with her future aunts-in-law Anne and Sophie and learn as much as she can from them and of course from Camilla. These are the female members of the family who can teach her how to become a valuable member of the family and help her to shape her own future as a Royal lady.

Kataryn, welcome! Like you, I too doubt whether Catherine will want to be burdened by the same or similar expectations. That would simply be cruel.
I think that, of the ladies you mentioned, she might find Sophie particularly amenable...

I am more and more tempted to compare Kate with Camilla than with Diana. For me she is the "lucky Camilla" who knew exactly how to keep her man all the years and is now in the fortunate position to marry him without any scandals. No one, not even the media reports, could manage to keep Kate down or seperate them, just like between Charles and Camilla. I don't see so many similarities between Diana and Kate.

Apples and oranges. Different people, different circumstances. IMO all these two women have in common is their gender and love for William.

Kate is a mature, tertiary-educated woman from a close family and she has been with her man for 8 years and knows him - the real him - extremely well. She is marrying a man who is already her mate, not a fairytale prince she only knows on a superficial level. She is also marrying into a different Royal Family than the one which Diana took on. I am sure she knows she will need help adjusting and learning her job, and am equally sure she will have plenty of support from her husband and his family and their staff and will have no hesitation in seeking assistance from the appropriate source whenever she has a question.

Kate will not trigger the protective instincts that the young, naive, virginal, vulnerable Diana evoked, and is unlikely to have the same relationship with the media that Diana had. Diana touched people on an emotional level that I don’t think we will see happen with Kate. I don’t think Kate will reach out the public and "connect" with them in the same way Diana did. I don’t expect her to reach out to the media at all.

Kate seems pleasant and charming and I am sure that she will do her job well and be popular, but she’ll do it very differently from Diana and I don’t expect to see the extreme levels of public affection we saw with Diana so I don’t expect her to be as “popular” as Diana and certainly not more so.

Kate seems loyal, mature and discreet. If she will stay this way, she will definitely be an asset for the family. Actually, that's all that matters. People are fed up with scandals in the BRF, no? Kate is also a young, fashionable and pretty woman, that's at least enough to sell papers with her for a while. I simply don't wish her the ""popularity"" Diana had. :flowers:

I think Kate is mature enough (or at least one hopes) not to seek out media attention like Diana did. So here is hoping that there is no Andrew Morton like book in the future. And most of her friends (as well as Williams) appear to be loyal. There is a lot we know about Kate (or we think we do) and a lot we don't know about Kate.

The press is certainly looking for a Diana clone as it relates to magazine sales. Let's face it....whenever Diana appeared on the cover...it was a good seller.

NO!!!!!! Kate is her OWN person and I don't think she will ever try to be as popular as Diana and I hope she doesn't become as popular as the popularity of diana sometimes is NUTS and really quite werid

I'm not sure.
I can't help thinking of what an asset Diana seemed before her marriage, how well she behaved in public and handled the press. She seemed so lovely and gracious.
But later, it was a different story!

So who knows how it will be for Kate?
I do think she'll be all over the papers; look how fast her engagement dress sold out when she was photographed in it.
I really hope she is able to cope better than Diana did.

No one expected Diana, to be Diana. The attention she got was unprecedented. She walked into marriage unprepared for the attention she received. She was also very young.

Kate is much more experienced. She is prepared for what she will face. The Royal Family is prepared. It will be different.

No one expected Diana, to be Diana. The attention she got was unprecedented. She walked into marriage unprepared for the attention she received. She was also very young.

Kate is much more experienced. She is prepared for what she will face. The Royal Family is prepared. It will be different.

Agreed, and also Diana's "behavior" seemed to decline in line with the decline of her marriage. Who knows if things had gone differently if she had not needed that extra attention. Clearly, she did feel at all cherished in her role. All very sad. I agree that William AND the family seem to be much more aware of how to handle things.

The "Diana days" were a special time that will never be repeated by Kate or anyone else. I think half the facination with Kate is that people want another Diana to worship/admire/dislike/victimize. It's been awhile since her death and now her son is to be married. The press will always compare Kate to Diana.

Last edited:
The press will always compare Kate to Diana.

Maybe they will, but I wish they wouldn't. Kate is a very different woman from Diana; she is a university graduate for one thing, and because of that fact alone I expect her to behave very differently from Diana. It's rather insulting of the press to expect all women to dance the same way to the tune they play.

Maybe they will, but I wish they wouldn't. Kate is a very different woman from Diana; she is a university graduate for one thing, and because of that fact alone I expect her to behave very differently from Diana. It's rather insulting of the press to expect all women to dance the same way to the tune they play.

Agreed. The press doesn't seem to understand that whether or not you like either woman they are different characters who grew up in different "worlds" with different expectations placed on them. They also had entirely different relationships with their intended's prior to their marriage.

It is also interesting to note that Diana grew-up in a family that had close ties to the royals and therefore was in some ways more prepared for the society that she is married into.

Diana was only a teenager so who could have expected how things would turn out there?

I've been told that in the early days when Charles and Diana went on walkabouts fans were yelling for Charles to come to their side of the street when Diana was right in front of them. Kind of hard to imagine now, but Diana wasn't even quite "Princess Diana" when they first were married.

Diana was around for a while as a kid, but not as his girlfriend of course. She had a title "Lady Diana", but wasn't on anybody's radar. She just seemed to suddenly be there and I think that helped with the mystery.

Truly I think it would be hard for someone who has been hanging around for years to sweep everybody off their feet. I thought there could be a chance some of that "magic" interest and revival in the Royal family might come about if William was to suddenly meet and marry someone extremely sweet, beautiful, warm, someone who really stood out.

A lot of little ducks would have to be in a row for anything close to that to happen again....

Last edited:
Diana was only a teenager so who could have expected how things would turn out there?

I've been told that in the early days when Charles and Diana went on walkabouts fans were yelling for Charles to come to their side of the street when Diana was right in front of them. Kind of hard to imagine now, but Diana wasn't even quite "Princess Diana" when they first were married.

I remember right from the first walkabouts after the wedding the exact opposite - disappointment being expressed if they were on Charles' side - comments like 'oh no she is on that side' and 'we have only got Charles'.

I don't remember ever hearing of people calling for Charles once he married Diana.

Diana was around for a while as a kid, but not as his girlfriend of course. She had a title "Lady Diana", but wasn't on anybody's radar. She just seemed to suddenly be there and I think that helped with the mystery.

Truly I think it would be hard for someone who has been hanging around for years to sweep everybody off their feet. I thought there could be a chance some of that "magic" interest and revival in the Royal family might come about if William was to suddenly meet and marry someone extremely sweet, beautiful, warm, someone who really stood out.

A lot of little ducks would have to be in a row for anything close to that to happen again....

Fortunately I doubt if I will see that phenomenon again - the last thing the BRF needs is someone who wants to take all the attention away from the monarch.

I remember right from the first walkabouts after the wedding the exact opposite - disappointment being expressed if they were on Charles' side - comments like 'oh no she is on that side' and 'we have only got Charles'.

I don't remember ever hearing of people calling for Charles once he married Diana.

No, neither do I. I cannot recall any instance of reports of crowds wanting Charles rather than Diana. From the beginning, they all wanted to be near Diana.

This is more evidence, to me, that William simply doesn't want to be royal.

I have had that thought. Or he might not want to be king - especially as people seem to be thinking that he should shove aside his loved father (and remaining parent) to get to the throne (this not being Medieval times, I know if it were me I would find that so off-putting!). In this hesitancy around his future position would this be a throwback to his great-grandfather, the Queen's father, perhaps? Or would it be more directly attributable to his own life experiences? He's a complicated bloke as he was put into the camera's glare so early and young - plus all the scandal, which must have been searing. He has the unenviable background that he was given 'normal experiences' but in very un-normal ways - there must be considerable cynicism.

It will be interesting to see how William and Catherine decide to live their lives in earnest over the years. I think its realistic that the heir to the heir has a more low-key life. More important for them is to create their own life, because in the end that will be what sustains them, not being Royal. As the King of Sweden said to his daughter Victoria about her marriage - that it was more important to have a happy marriage with someone you love, because being sovereign may never happen, one never knows and one will have sacrificed having a life of one's own for an illusion, a maybe.

Last edited:
This comes across to me as if you want the glitz of the Charles and Diana days back.
It is all much more low-key now, perhaps you miss a feeling of grandeur?
Just my opinion/thoughts of course.

There is a function of psyche taking place with such phenomenon. What Diana was or what eventuated around her was her psyche turned inside out. She had that 'something' - as people mention - because she was manifesting internally that way. William and Catherine have different internal set points - they are not living in the external event around them - in fact, they withdraw from it - so that the external reactions/impressions will reflect that. Am I being too obscure?

There is a function of psyche taking place with such phenomenon. What Diana was or what eventuated around her was her psyche turned inside out. She had that 'something' - as people mention - because she was manifesting internally that way. William and Catherine have different internal set points - they are not living in the external event around them - in fact, they withdraw from it - so that the external reactions/impressions will reflect that. Am I being too obscure?

I am not really sure what you mean by this post? I know that those kinds of phenomenons play tricks with the mind - I was just replying to angieuk's post and wondering whether she sort of 'misses' that feeling with them.

:previous:

I am not really sure what you mean by this post? I know that those kinds of phenomenon play tricks with the mind - I was just replying to angieuk's post and wondering whether she sort of 'misses' that feeling with them.

The lack/need is reflected outwardly. For example, if there is a lack/un-met need of sex, the person will present as sexual. Diana had enormous needs that got experienced as 'charisma' - her need was flowing out and that magnetized the 'audience', of one or two or thousands. There were other dynamics at play - relating to money, etc. - outside of her that used her need but that is another thread. It is why someone without these needs will appear 'lackluster'. It is the essential difference between Diana and Sophie.

I may have stepped into deep water here by bringing this up. I play with these ideas a lot because the phenomenon fascinates me.

Last edited:
Hi,

The calling for Charles thing was told by me by my mother who dislikes Charles. Very soon after the wedding she believes they were someplace local and Diana is standing right in front of people taking little flowers but women especially are calling past Diana to Charles. Specifically they were something like: "Come on Charlie! Come over here luv!" Etc. She says Diana sort of looked a bit sheepish and smiled. My mother was astounded because she does not think well of Charles, but really liked Diana. It was also included in a documentary about them or her as well where they show this clip.

Diana would do things while watching him play polo and hop up onto his Astin Martin hood. The press would come running for shots like that. Early on she was of course covered but she really worked to get the press in a fever over her. Later on of course that press became her nightmare.

The lack/need is reflected outwardly. For example, if there is a lack/un-met need of sex, the person will present as sexual. Diana had enormous needs that got experienced as 'charisma' - her need was flowing out and that magnetized the 'audience', of one or two or thousands. There were other dynamics at play - relating to money, etc. - outside of her that used her need but that is another thread. It is why someone without these needs will appear 'lackluster'. It is the essential difference between Diana and Sophie.

Interesting observation Tyger.Maybe it will be the essential difference between future royals in BRF and what Diana, Princess of Wales' charisma- need to be loved. I hope Prince William and Ms Middleton meet each others needs. :flowers:

Interesting observation Tyger. Maybe it will be the essential difference between future royals in BRF and what Diana, Princess of Wales' charisma- need to be loved. I hope Prince William and Ms Middleton meet each others needs. :flowers:

Thank you for saying so, georgiea. i've become a bit hesitant about having made the comment, so just to be clear: my remark is in regard a very specific phenomenon. There are others, like the couple deeply in love engendering tremendous love in the on-looker. The whole world loves a lover as the saying goes references this truth. When someone is in the state of love, people are drawn - loving marriages can break up because of the the stress, but that's another topic. I am aware that one has to be cautious about declaring 'lacks', etc. Its just that the Diana situation is very clear and I tender the observation with more confidence than usual.

'Charisma' on the scale of a Diana, or a Jackie Onassis, or a Marilyn Monroe, or an Eva Peron - surely there are countless examples of this kind of galvanizing attention of a populace on one woman in every culture - is, I believe, in our media driven time a media driven phenomenon more often than not. What set Diana apart was her collusion with the press. It is very unlikely, I think, that there are many people in the population that will have her constellation of inputs to make another such phenomenon occur. Catherine does not appear to be a woman with these tendencies at all. It looks to be a very normal relationship.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom