The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? With all the coverage she's been getting lately I think it's possible.

She's been getting coverage now because no one knows who she is and they've just got engaged. Engagement fever will die down, then we will have wedding fever, then possible baby fever. But I don't think she will be as popular as Diana just because she married into the BRF. Diana was made popular because of who she was, not because of who she married.

I dont think she will be as famous & as popular as Diana. I don't think anyone will ever be. It doesn't mean because Kate is marrying into the family she will be more popular. Diana at her time was something that in todays world wont happen and I guess the royal family wont allow it to happen. Diana IMO became more popular than the whole family and out shinned them. I don't see Kate doing that nor trying to do that.

I only see her becoming quite famous (not as famous as Diana) because she is marrying Prince William and Diana's son.

I don't think she will be as famous as Diana just because she marries into the BRF.

I think Kate will be in the public eye for a longer period of time than Diana ever was but the difference between the two is going to be that the press coverage will be more or less similar to what Charles and Camilla's is now. What they do officially, maybe a little bit of scuttlebutt stories and such but there won't be intensive stories about the inner workings of William and Kate's private affairs. We've already seen for 8 some years how much they value their privacy and how discreet the both of them are. William has already made statements to the press that she will NOT be hounded the way his late mother was.

I do think fashion wise we're going to see Kate set some trends as she already has somewhat. I've read where her engagement dress sold out in 24 hours after the announcement and there are copies to be found as well as a resurgent of copies of the engagement ring.

I think that Catherine will be popular but I think that Diana's popularity also had to do with when she appered on the scene.In the early 80s the women of the british royal family were a little boring in terms of style of dress etc,as well there were very few non royal consorts in the Gotha at large so to many people Diana seemed like one of the firsts.Nowadays we have many women from all sorts of backgrounds serving as regal consort and the public at large knows these women.So in a way Catherine is luckier than Diana because she will share a spot in the media spotlight with many more of her comtemporaries and not be the one and only, as unfortunately Diana was.

This is true - when Diana came along, there hadn't been a glamorous young Princess in the BRF for quite some time. Princess Anne, admirable as she is, had other interests, and naturally people focused on Diana as a style setter. Not that Diana was particularly stylish in the beginning, she wore some awful clothes in the early days, but nevertheless people still copied her - those dreadful frilly stand-up collars flattered very few people! :unsure: But there wasn't really anyone else sharing the limelight, so Catherine's situation will be easier, one hopes.

Re-telling the story Diana and now Kate.

I don't think she will be as famous as Diana just because she marries into the BRF.

Exactly. She will have to be spectacular and innovative to eclipse Diana's fame. Though it's a bit doubtful it is possible in the next 35 years or so that Kate will capture the hearts of millions. At this point there is no means of accurately predicting what will take place.

Exactly. She will have to be spectacular and innovative to eclipse Diana's fame. Though it's a bit doubtful it is possible in the next 35 years or so that Kate will capture the hearts of millions. At this point there is no means of accurately predicting what will take place.

I think it depends on what people mean. Catherine probably won't have Diana's fame, because I don't think she'll court it the way Diana did. BUT, I have a feeling that people will look at Catherine twenty/thirty years from now and think the Son made a better choice than his father.

Catherine unlike Diana, is stable, discrete, and grounded. For all the good Diana did, she also brought instability to the monarchy. I think Catherine will work with William, not against him.

I think it depends on what people mean. Catherine probably won't have Diana's fame, because I don't think she'll court it the way Diana did. BUT, I have a feeling that people will look at Catherine twenty/thirty years from now and think the Son made a better choice than his father.

Catherine unlike Diana, is stable, discrete, and grounded. For all the good Diana did, she also brought instability to the monarchy. I think Catherine will work with William, not against him.

And with that in mind, it is possible that Kate can be more popular than Diana, who lets face it, has a lot of detractors as well.

And with that in mind, it is possible that Kate can be more popular than Diana, who lets face it, has a lot of detractors as well.

I hope Catherine will be Catherine,something she'll easily be able to do.She outstands the late lady in many a field,not the least for cheap attention.Catherine is different,un-comparable,and that is a bit much of a silly thing to do...Do you all look like your mother-in-law?Or even want too?:p

And,Catherine has another extra....a huge amount of grey cells and she knows how they work other then just when photographers are around...She'll be OK,and I truly think she will be a great asset to the House of Windsor.

I agree with bekalc.

I hope Kate doesen't become more popular than Diana. That level of fame comes with such a high price. Catherine should just be herself and not aim to be more famous than her iconic mother in-law which I don't see happening right now.

I hope Catherine will be Catherine,something she'll easily be able to do.She outstands the late lady in many a field,not the least for cheap attention.Catherine is different,un-comparable,and that is a bit much of a silly thing to do...Do you all look like your mother-in-law?Or even want too?:p

And,Catherine has another extra....a huge amount of grey cells and she knows how they work other then just when photographers are around...She'll be OK,and I truly think she will be a great asset to the House of Windsor.

I agree with bekalc.

I totally agree with what you say.

There are ways to be popular without being associated with the scandals and tabloids.

If Kate maintains her silence, does her duties, produces a heir or two and supports Prince William on behalf of Great Britian...there is no way she shouldn't be popular. Of course, we will hear those who claim she is just too boring for words. Which goes to show that you can't please everyone.

Last edited:
There are ways to be popular without being associated with the scandals and tabloids.

If Kate maintains her silence, does her duties, produces a heir or two and supports Prince William on behalf of Great Britian...there is no way she shouldn't be popular. Of course, we will hear those who claim she is just too boring for words. Which goes to show that you can't please everyone.

Absolutely.

Last edited by a moderator:

If Kate maintains her silence, does her duties, produces a heir or two and supports Prince William on behalf of Great Britian...there is no way she shouldn't be popular. Of course, we will here those who claim she is just too boring for words. Which goes to show that you can't please everyone.

Ab-so-lu-te-ly True Zonk!

She will not be; there was only one Diana.

Exactly. I never understood why people accuse William and Kate of being boring. What exactly do they want? Are people's perceptions of what is acceptable behavior so influenced by foul mouthed, trashy, attention seeking celebrities that dignity and class is outdated and boring? Or perhaps someone like Sarah Ferguson is more their cup of tea. Lord knows SHE was entertaining for the tabloids.

I just don't get it.

I think Kate is totally different in every way. A large part of Diana's magic was the way she related to children, the elderly, sick and poor. I think Kate is far more reserved and reminds me a great deal of CP Mary of Denmark. I think that surely any magazine with Kate on the cover will sell out and she'll always be popular but her draw may just be that return to the mystique the RF used to have in the old days. I feel that unlike Charles and Di, William will be as popular as Kate and people will continue to be interested in him for who he is and will appreciate his work. I think he and Harry have inherited their mother's way of relating to people and the public will respond to that.

She will not be; there was only one Diana.

and thank god for that! As kind hearted and humanitarian as she was a troubled woman.

I don't wish Kate the kind of popularity that Diana had, cause much of it had to be because of her failed marriage and scandals

I think Kate will become more regal and aloof than Diana. Kate very cleverly put herself into the position of being the indispensible partner of William. Her role will be to fulfil the role of Crown Princess and not to become her own person. Kate Middleton is dead long live Kate Middleton.

With such level of fame and popularity, comes with detractors. Being popular does not mean to be unanimous, and be popular says it all, the detractors are in scaled down.

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis - the only person in the world the level of Diana's fame could be compared - also had her detractors, who said she was ambitious, calculating, greedy, only thinking of money, a neurotic woman who only thought about shopping on, on, on ... And after Jackie died, a biography by Sarah Bradford (I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure she was author of bio) come out stating that Jackie had an affair with RFK.

In other words, if Kate have the level of popularity, fame of Diana or Jackie O. surely she will have her detractors as well. This level of popularity/fame does not prevent detractors, but mean the detractors are inferior to her popularity. And with what I've heard about some members from Middleton family, I don't think that detractors will be very hard to show up.

But I definitely do not believe that Kate is at the level of Diana & Jackie. To this must have charisma, and foremost the "IT" factor & the Star Quality. And I dont believe Kate has these qualities. She may even be popular, well liked, appreciated, but to be compared to Diana she must have the "IT" factor & the Star Quality.

In my opinion, none of the current crown princess has the "IT" factor & the Star Quality. For me the only charismatic is Maxima and the only elegant/well dressed is Mary.

But of course, the press will try became Kate in a new Diana. They (the press) want/need replace their cash cow in fully measures.

Last edited:
With such level of fame and popularity, comes with detractors.

Absolutely, I don't know that many high popularized people who do not have detractors.

Exactly. I never understood why people accuse William and Kate of being boring. What exactly do they want? Are people's perceptions of what is acceptable behavior so influenced by foul mouthed, trashy, attention seeking celebrities that dignity and class is outdated and boring? Or perhaps someone like Sarah Ferguson is more their cup of tea. Lord knows SHE was entertaining for the tabloids.

I just don't get it.

I've never really dug deep into the lives of royals and in a way a lot of people really haven't I think. I know many who still see Diana as a wonderful and graceful woman, but here I didn't realize people REALLY didn't like her much and felt she used the media for her own woe is me gain.

So I guess I have a layman's perception of royals and with that, unless I'm following their moves on this site or actually looking for them I don't know much about them so William and Kate seem very boring to me.

I don't think being popular means being trashy and tabloid fodder. I hear a lot about Queen Raina and that's because she doesn't just stay in Jordan but takes an active stance in global affairs and things that interest her. William seems to never do much but stay in England and Kate as well. And I think that's what made Diana so popular. Before her, I honestly just saw royals as just staying in their country and around the palaces then all of a sudden she was all over the world because she wanted to help and it interested her (here though I see a lot of people think a lot of that was fake but like I said, most don't dig that deep and analyze her shifty eye contact and batting eyes during interviews as playing a game).

So in that respect, they do seem boring. Truthfully, I just found out that Kate actually had a job. From what I've seen when they actually pop up doing something (William's getting a medal or what not) it looked like she was a professional girlfriend. Like all she did was stay glued to his side and never left.

I know William is pursuing his military career and that's why he doesn't seem to be doing anything because that's not something that's a media like focus unless it's a ceremony but with him doing that Kate just seems absent and not doing anything.

Last edited:
No, and I hope she doesn't. I'd like to see her become more like current crop of Crown Princesses (Mary, Maxima, Mette-Marie).

Anybody and everybody has their detractors, regardless of their popularity: Diana, Jackie Kennedy, the Kardashians, Paris Hilton, your co-workers, you, etc.

Exactly. If you raise your head over the parapet, you inevitably get shot at.
(apologies for this military expression :))

Even "Saint" Diana did not get it all her own way, no matter how hard she worked.

But this phenomenon doesn't just apply to "mediatised" people, but anyone who comes across as "different" or "popular - in one's own village or peer group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom