The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
Charity work has nothing to do with being royal. Millions of ordinary people are active in their communities. That would not show her to be presumptuous but caring about something else other then her self-interests.

What would be presumptuous would be to do charity the way royals do, i.e., in the form of patronage, showing up to glamourous charity galas as the headliner, etc. ( which, ironically, is exactly why she has been rumored to be preparing to do starting the fall). I see absolutely no issue with her doing some hand-on charity work.

Actually yes, this is what I meant--that Kate could volunteer somewhere.

I have no idea how Kate spends her free time, but even if she works full-time, there`s still a fair number of hours in the day and on weekends. I guess it sounds overly critical to expect her to do more, and she certainly doesn`t have to--she is a private citizen. But doing more with her time would, I agree, shows that she cares about the world outside herself and her relationship with William.

The idea that she can`t volunteer because of press intrusion is kind of ridiculous to me. I mean yes, if she volunteers, the Daily Mail will make up headlines about Kate trying to be a princess before she has the ring on her finger. They already make headlines out of her parents`company selling princess-themed items...they`ll make headlines out of anything! Kate is dating the future king of England, she has to get used to some kind of media attention.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
^???

1. What a pathetic headline that would be. As I already said, hand-on charity work does not scream 'princess', it screams 'charitable person'.

2. You think doing charity work would harm her reputation and get her bad press? I can't see how it would but even so, it's not like she's getting good press these days doing nothing.
Wonderful idea, if they say anything about being a presumptuous princess it'll be because they don't have a leg to stand on. Kate will finally be doing something and they have nothing to report on.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Actually yes, this is what I meant--that Kate could volunteer somewhere.

I have no idea how Kate spends her free time, but even if she works full-time, there`s still a fair number of hours in the day and on weekends. I guess it sounds overly critical to expect her to do more, and she certainly doesn`t have to--she is a private citizen. But doing more with her time would, I agree, shows that she cares about the world outside herself and her relationship with William.

The idea that she can`t volunteer because of press intrusion is kind of ridiculous to me. I mean yes, if she volunteers, the Daily Mail will make up headlines about Kate trying to be a princess before she has the ring on her finger. They already make headlines out of her parents`company selling princess-themed items...they`ll make headlines out of anything! Kate is dating the future king of England, she has to get used to some kind of media attention.

Of course we don't know that she isn't doing volunteer work privately e.g. she could be knitting squares to make rugs for disadvantaged people, which uses a lot of time and is for charity and no one would know - as you say you don't know what she does in her free time.

Of course some here will immediately jump up and down and say that she wouldn't spend her time doing that but we really don't know what she does so she could be doing charity stuff as a private individual without any of us knowing but she isn't doing publicly which is a good thing at this stage.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Gentry

Hi, my god this forum is huge...
i'd think will and kate are aware that the public sees her as a person who's waiting without a purpose in life. why then doesn't she go and find something to do. that way she will make people critisize her less and she will have a job. why aren't they dealing with this. it's so easy to solve this
Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by solsol View Post
i'd think will and kate are aware that the public sees her as a person who's waiting without a purpose in life. why then doesn't she go and find something to do. that way she will make people critisize her less and she will have a job. why aren't they dealing with this. it's so easy to solve this

What evidence is there that she doesn't have a job? We have been told that she works for her parents. Why don't people want to believe that? I do. If she is working for them then she has a job and a real one at that.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Of course we don't know that she isn't doing volunteer work privately e.g. she could be knitting squares to make rugs for disadvantaged people, which uses a lot of time and is for charity and no one would know - as you say you don't know what she does in her free time.

Of course some here will immediately jump up and down and say that she wouldn't spend her time doing that but we really don't know what she does so she could be doing charity stuff as a private individual without any of us knowing but she isn't doing publicly which is a good thing at this stage.

I for one can´t see why Kate should do charity work, she hasn´t even really done anything with her degree yet. Surely she didn´t go to University just with the hope of finding a well to do husband?
She doesn´t need to knit little squares for sick soldiers, but it would be nice if she actually did something besides staying beautiful for when William needs company. She could even continue her education.
The family business seemed to prosper when she was away and I am sure that it will continue to without her. Wasn´t there talk about her being a photographer? Why doesn´t she study this seriously and then her parents wouldn´t have to get in a professional to do anything special?
In my opinion she is wasting her youth, perhaps it will all work out in the end, but then perhaps it won´t. I will be sorry for her if it doesn´t work out but if it doesn´t I believe (same as an opinion) that she has aimed too high.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsol View Post
Let me as a question here. If the public deemed that all TRF members should wear rainbow wigs and bow down, chant moo and eat purple grass, would you? I think they don't deal with it because frankly they live their lives the way they want to. Kate is under absolutely no obligation at this point to please the public.

Welcome to the forums solsol!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I for one can´t see why Kate should do charity work, she hasn´t even really done anything with her degree yet. Surely she didn´t go to University just with the hope of finding a well to do husband?
She doesn´t need to knit little squares for sick soldiers, but it would be nice if she actually did something besides staying beautiful for when William needs company. She could even continue her education.
The family business seemed to prosper when she was away and I am sure that it will continue to without her. Wasn´t there talk about her being a photographer? Why doesn´t she study this seriously and then her parents wouldn´t have to get in a professional to do anything special?
In my opinion she is wasting her youth, perhaps it will all work out in the end, but then perhaps it won´t. I will be sorry for her if it doesn´t work out but if it doesn´t I believe (same as an opinion) that she has aimed too high.

She could do a lot of things.

She could be doing a lot of things.

But...

We don't actually know what she is doing so we are simply speculating about what she could, should it doing because we don't know.

Her family say she has a job with them but a lot of people don't believe them - I do.

Some people say she should be doing charity work. I am saying she could be but as we don't know what she is doing with her time we don't know.

She might be spending all day making herself beautiful for William - we don't know.

She might be learning foreign languages, doing more study, doing craft work, doing a lot of things but the bottom line is - we don't know what she is doing other than that her family says that she is working for them.

Yes I am aware of press reports that she is now living with William in Wales and thus is no longer working but I don't see that those two things are mutually exclusive and her family, to my knowledge, haven't come out and said 'Kate is no longer working for us' and until I hear that I will believe that she is still maintaining the website from wherever she is (she could do that from Timbuktu these days.)
Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

If Kate were doing volunteer work somewhere the Middleton's would make sure we found out about it. They wouldn't miss an opportunity to make Kate look good.

Just because the press (which started with the tabloids) say they're living together doesn't mean they are.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can't remember where, but I read an article that said HM The Queen wished Kate (who now wants to be called Catherine) would get a full-time job, as laying about was not a good image to project during the current economic turndowns.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Courtier

She should work as a nurse! It´s perfect for a future queen.
It´s shows: I care about people!

Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
She should work as a nurse! It´s perfect for a future queen.
It´s shows: I care about people!

Why is being a nurse 'perfect for a future queen'?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I can't remember where, but I read an article that said HM The Queen wished Kate (who now wants to be called Catherine) would get a full-time job, as laying about was not a good image to project during the current economic turndowns.
I remember that. Problem is that no matter what she starts to do while being with William, she will be followed like a hawk. As an employer I don't think I'd want all that attention drawn towards one of my employees.

What she is probably doing is working with her parents in the business from wherever she can get an internet connection. Its private and it works for both Party Pieces and Kate without the media attention.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Why is being a nurse 'perfect for a future queen'?
Well because they are efficient (one would hope) sympathetic as well as empathetic, strong, can command/lead when need be and lots of queens and princesses have volunteered as nurses in the past.
That's Russo's take on it anyway.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Courtier

Yes, Russo, that´s what I meant.

http://i29.tinypic.com/1ywbj9.jpg

Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Well because they are efficient (one would hope) sympathetic as well as empathetic, strong, can command/lead when need be and lots of queens and princesses have volunteered as nurses in the past.
That's Russo's take on it anyway.
Would definitely endear her to Prince Philip. His mother, Alice, was a very empathic soul that did a lot of this kind of work.

Volunteering as a nurse in this day and age is not as easy as it was in Alice's time...other than what we call in the US as Candy Stripers or Grey Ladies. Because of lawsuits and such, you need the training and certification. If Kate was to perhaps go into this kind of training, she'd also have the press all over her once they got wind of what she was doing.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

The problem with her going into nursing is that it now generally takes a minimum of three years of education in order to be certified in the UK. It's not something that someone can approach casually as some royal women in the late 19th and early 20th century could.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Honestly in this day and age, Kate could be a doing a lot of things in the privacy of her home that we dont know about. I am in the process of applying to be a customer service rep working from home. I could never leave the house again to to go "work". I have also taken graduate courses on line. This could be the case for Kate and we would never know.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
The problem with her going into nursing is that it now generally takes a minimum of three years of education in order to be certified in the UK. It's not something that someone can approach casually as some royal women in the late 19th and early 20th century could.
I know here in the US its a 120 hour course to be an EMT, 2 years of study for a LPN (licensed practical nurse) and 4 years to be a RN (registered nurse). However... with having first aid/cpr/aed certification one can run as a third person on an ambulance to assist an EMT or a paramedic.

Come to think of it... if Kate did go into studying this stuff, she'd know what William is doing. I took EMT training for my own personal knowledge. My husband does it as his profession and I know what goes into what he does. Being hearing impaired I'd never put anyone that is hurt in my hands but I know what needs to be done should it be needed to.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Honestly in this day and age, Kate could be a doing a lot of things in the privacy of her home that we dont know about. I am in the process of applying to be a customer service rep working from home. I could never leave the house again to to go "work". I have also taken graduate courses on line. This could be the case for Kate and we would never know.
I think you've said it best. For one, there is no reason why Kate should be in the public eye right now.. she's not obligated to be at all and I think that's the way both Will and Kate want it. Just as its never been publicized what certification William holds as a rescue pilot as far as what he can do medically or not.. Kate's private works aren't public either. These two are very much wanting to keep their private lives just that.. private.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana