The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
emily62_1 said:
PS- I suggest you search for Blenheim Palace on the Net, it's in Woodstock, near Oxford.

Now I am truly puzzled. What has Blenheim got to do with Di or Kate?:confused:

Skydragon said:
Even I have to agree with most of what you have written but, the family didn't have liquid assets or a massive portfolio, that's why Johnny and Rayne had to sell some of the heirlooms.:)

No Diana was not middle class, nor is Kate considered upper class.:)

The Spencers had plenty of money invested, but Raine Spencer shrewdly helped Johnny Spencer make Althorp self-sustaining, which otherwise would have eventually drained their fortune.

Diana not only inherited money from her father, but also her maternal grandfather, Baron Fermoy, whose mother was an American heiress. So, she always had her own money and was wealthy.

Perhaps Emily meant to say Charles II? Most of the British aristocracy is descended from him and one or other of his mistresses!

Where are people getting the information about the contents of Kate's bank account?

Elspeth said:
Where are people getting the information about the contents of Kate's bank account?
Perhaps from the same sources that breathlessly reported Kate was moving into Clarence House? :)

branchg said:
The Spencers had plenty of money invested, but Raine Spencer shrewdly helped Johnny Spencer make Althorp self-sustaining, which otherwise would have eventually drained their fortune.

Raine and Johnny had to sell a lot of the heirlooms to maintain their lifestyle and to pay for Raines redecorating costs, having had to part with a lot of the family investments to pay the dreaded death duties.

I didn't say that Diana was middle class:) I did say that IMO Kate would be classed as upper middle class, as we all know, how much money you have does not always determine which class it is perceived that you belong to.:)

Kate won't get as much media coverage as Lady Di cuz the BRF won't let that happen again cuz they know the consequences.

kaydura0717 said:
Kate won't get as much media coverage as Lady Di cuz the BRF won't let that happen again cuz they know the consequences.
Perhaps I'm just thick. I can't understand whom are you referring to in the BRF who could/would control media coverage of Kate? If Kate marries William, wouldn't she be a member of BRF herself?

Incas said:
Perhaps I'm just thick. I can't understand whom are you referring to in the BRF who could/would control media coverage of Kate? If Kate marries William, wouldn't she be a member of BRF herself?

I was puzzled as well, so I don't think you are thick.:)

Hello, this is my first posting here.

On the subject that Kate will be more popular than Diana, Princess of Wales I do not think so. I do belive that Prince William will try to emulate his grandparents HM The Queen and Prince Phillip. Prince William will be very protective of her.

Willie

nope, for my kate never can will be more popular than diana, diana had a estraordinary charisma, william have a charisma similar but not the same.
and william protect very much kate od the media.
he see the relaction of his mother with the press and he know everything that the press do with the ''product'' diana, and I am sure that william not want the same for kate.

wamaldonado said:
Hello, this is my first posting here.

On the subject that Kate will be more popular than Diana, Princess of Wales I do not think so. I do belive that Prince William will try to emulate his grandparents HM The Queen and Prince Phillip. Prince William will be very protective of her.

Willie

Welcome wamaldonaldo.

I truly believe that the days of idolising any member of a royal family have gone. No two people are the same (thank goodness) and Kate should be allowed to be her own person.
What some people admire, others detest!:D

I think William will be protective of Kate,and their relation would be more felxible that how it was between Charles and Diana,as Wills suffred from the relation between his parents,and as he was very close to his mom, so he will behave in order to take revenge for that.

There weren't as many photos as of William with his father as he was with his mother, but that didn't mean his relationship with his father suffered in contrast. As evidence of his and Harry's happiness for their father upon his second marriage, I doubt there was ever any need for revenge on behalf of his mother. It does seem he is trying to build a more stable relationship than that of his parents.

Of course, if she becomes Princess of Wales, Kate will be more popular than Diana. People always like what is fresh and new. (Remember, at one time Elizabeth was adored and glamorous, but she grew older and then Diana exploded on the scene).

And for many people, Diana is a distant memory already.

iowabelle said:
Of course, if she becomes Princess of Wales, Kate will be more popular than Diana. People always like what is fresh and new. (Remember, at one time Elizabeth was adored and glamorous, but she grew older and then Diana exploded on the scene).

And for many people, Diana is a distant memory already.

Well said iowabelle.:)

I should think Kate just wants to be Kate!:D

emily62_1 said:
well, Kate will marry a man who is in love with her, he himself chose her, while dDi was not chosen by her future hubby, she was not even wanted by Charles as his own wife, , she was given by her family to P. Charles, Lady Fermoy and Queen Mum planned it all, she was only 19, not at all experienced, no1 who could advice her, having her no mum, or better she had a mother who only minded her own business, and ,being so naive, she thought she would have been able to make her hubby forget Cam and love her, instead -

I agree with what emily62_1said. I think Kate would be a wonderful addition to the royal family. I think one thing that make Diana so popular was that Charles lacks charisma so Diana really shined. Wlliam is very charismatic so the spotlight will be shared. I hope he learns from his fathers mistakes and marries the woman he loves.

yeadonite said:
Wlliam is very charismatic so the spotlight will be shared. I hope he learns from his fathers mistakes and marries the woman he loves.

William is considered by most to be boring.

There was great interest in Prince Charles, in the UK, long before Di came on the scene, as there is interest in him now.

It is however, a natural progression that the young replace the old, as iowabelle pointed out.

Lets all hope that both Kate and William marry the people they truly love (afatk)!

Skydragon said:
William is considered by most to be boring.

I can see why. He NEVER does anything exciting. I mean it's the same old same old. Let's hope Kate brings some excitement to the family--which I highly doubt. As for the press looking for another Diana, I can believe that. However, I still think that the press has moved on from that craze. Yes, they are still crazy for someone like her, but I think it's been too long and over the years they have found ways to fill up that gap, with the common celebrity. Yes, if Kate DOES marry William, she will be famous, but I highly doubt she will be anything NEAR to what Diana was. Diana was exciting. She brought the whole "ROYAL" culture to another level, a level to which everyone could relate to. But then you have Kate trying to create "BABYKINS" ??? I don't know, in my eyes they don't even come close. :)

Laraib said:
I can see why. He NEVER does anything exciting. I mean it's the same old same old. Let's hope Kate brings some excitement to the family--which I highly doubt. As for the press looking for another Diana, I can believe that. However, I still think that the press has moved on from that craze.

I hope she doesn't bring too much excitement to the royals, if indeed they do get married. Lets hope everyone has moved on from those days. We have Mary, Maxima, Letizia and all the other young royals now.:)

Laraib said:
NO.:)
Diana, on the other hand truly was a middle class girl, which made people relate to her even more. I, personally don't find my self relating to Kate. She seems one of those rich girls who had it all and were given more. Diana on the other hand was someone who you wanted to succeed because she was also coming from nothing. I don't know, I just don't see Kate being MORE or even AS famous as Diana.:) ;)
Its the other way around dear, Kate comes from a middle-class family while Princess Diana came from the wealthy,Aristocratic Spencer clan..She was known as Lady Diana Spencer before she married William's dad..you wouldnt say she came from nothing..

Last edited:
yeadonite said:
Wow I didnt know that!!

Well, he's considered by many to be boring; he's considered by many more to be wildly exciting. It just depends. I'm not sure I'd agree with "most," but I think that as he grows into an adult and develops his own personality, and as time marches on and Diana becomes increasingly distant, the intense interest in him simply as Diana's son is becoming diluted.

Mahoogie said:
Its the other way around dear, Kate comes from a middle-class family while Princess Diana came from the wealthy,Aristocratic Spencer clan..She was known as Lady Diana Spencer before she married William's dad..you wouldnt say she came from nothing..

Yes, Iam sorry.:eek:

Iam sorry if anyone took that offensively.I don't know I guess I was trying to make a point and in turn conveyed the wrong idea. Sorry.:eek: :)

I don't think anyone could REPLACE Diana. Even so, iowabelle made a good point. It's what's fresh and new, but Diana will always be in the hearts and minds of people everywhere. She did so much and went through so much that it would be hard to forget her.

I think no matter who Wills marries, he will have a more private family life than his parents, more along the lines of the younger royals in other countries. They are very popular but aren't allowed to intrude too far. Of course it will also depend on how Kate, or whoever, play the media. Alot of Diana's coverage was actively sought by her.

I don't really know if Kate will be more popular than Diana. I think that she is more private than princess Diana was which could be a good thing. She doesn't seem to have the charisma that Diana had though.

I don't think Kate wants to encourage the celebrity status, she wants to be a normal young woman at the moment, without all the fuss. If she marries William, I don't think, even then that we will have the constant media encouragement from her.

qui mal y pense said:
I think no matter who Wills marries, he will have a more private family life than his parents, more along the lines of the younger royals in other countries. They are very popular but aren't allowed to intrude too far. Of course it will also depend on how Kate, or whoever, play the media. Alot of Diana's coverage was actively sought by her.
I hope Wills and his future wife can lead a more quiet life than his parents. He deserves it and also I do think whoever he marries (he seems to have a good head on his shoulders when picking a girlfriend) will be as popular as Diana but in a different way. She may not be an international icon but that has a lot of drawbacks as we've seen. If they are a low key couple who represent Britain with class then that would be the best. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom