The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Courtier

[QUOTE=muriel;1112395]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

In the new liberal Britain, we are no longer ashamed when people "make it" in life, so the Middletons should be commended for their success.
Exactly so there is absolutely no need to invent an aristocratic background for Miss Middleton.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I doubt Kate will ever become as popular as Diana, let alone more popular. Times have changed, I'm sure the press and people will see her as a celebrity (commenting on clothes, mood, relationship with this or that person etc.). Apparently, this is more or less the destiny of all these modern Cinderellas. I see no 'legends' in the 'royal' future.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Exactly so there is absolutely no need to invent an aristocratic background for Miss Middleton.
Sure.

But lets not be under any illusion, Alison is a relatively new member (<200 posts), so I really don't think there is any need to suggest that she is trying to invent an aristocratic background for the Middletons. It may just be a mistake.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Courtier

Who mentioned names? I surely didnīt.
As far as Kateīs background, it is as it is. Definitely not aristocratic so it is better to scotch the rumours before someone reading this thinks differently, it would only make it difficult for Kate to have gossip about her that can so easily be found to be false by a simple visit to Google.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison20 View Post
CaliforniaDreaming - the class system in the UK is very subtle and complex. No way is Kate Middleton working class. Her mother's background is county/aristocracy and her father is middle class. They live an upper middle class lifestyle.

as did the Countess of Essex.
Countess of Wessex.
Kate comes from a working class background, her parents have worked there way up so that Kate and her siblings can live a middle class and in some ways upper class lifestyle.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Don't forget Allison, that Victoria had a slew of children and needed to marry them off which was why she was "relaxed". William has his pick of anyone, anywhere if he (and they) choose.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Commoner

I don't think we should compare Kate to Diana because you know we are all different. Diana and Kate are two totally different people. Diana will never ever be replaced. Diana was and is and will forever be Diana, Princess of Wales and the people's Princess. Diana was something I think alot of people admire. If Kate marries William then she will be something new and different and I think that it will be a good thing.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

No way Hosea!
Kate will not reach that legendary status like Diana. Diana was a unique individual and her popularity cannot be copied. The circumstances surrounding Diana's life, her attitude and her willingness to help and comfort needy people is what made her special. Also, her death skyrocketed her to a legendary status that Kate can't achieve. She doesn't have the aura Diana had. The aura that draws people to you...myself and others don't feel really drawn to Kate.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There's a major difference for me, between the way Diana acted before her marriage, and the way Kate has. That's what makes Kate more unapproacable.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate has kept out of the spotlight as much as possible. I'm quite sure that this indicates that Kate doesn't "need" the press in quite the same way that Diana did. If she and William marry, it will be because they want to marry and not because Kate has been "sold" to William via the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There's a major difference for me, between the way Diana acted before her marriage, and the way Kate has. That's what makes Kate more unapproacable.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think it's impossible to tell whether Kate would be as popular as Diana if she were to marry William. They are two entirely different women, in very different circumstances.

Anyway, would Kate want to be as popular as Diana? Quite possibly not.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Aristocracy

It would be great if Kate would be more popular than Diana. 'Cause I'm fed up with the Diana-mania.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Nobility

Diana sold papers and the press are waiting for someone to fill her vacancy. Kate could be just the girl for the job regardless of whether she's considered more popular than Princess Diana or not.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Kate will sell papers, but not for the reasons Diana would IMO.
She may fill the vacancy, during her possible engagement and wedding period.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Kate will sell papers, but not for the reasons Diana would IMO.
She may fill the vacancy, during her possible engagement and wedding period.

She will sell them throughout her life if she marries William. Whether she will be the cash cow that Diana was is another question - and I hope not for her sake and that of the royal family who simply don't need another showboat like Diana.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She will sell them throughout her life if she marries William. Whether she will be the cash cow that Diana was is another question - and I hope not for her sake and that of the royal family who simply don't need another showboat like Diana.
I said she'd fill papers yes, but she will IMO only fill them as often as Diana did during her engagement and wedding period. Kate doesn't have the approachablilty that Diana had, so she won't become the new "peoples princess"
You can tell that Kate knows her place now, and will know it if she marries William.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I said she'd fill papers yes, but she will IMO only fill them as often as Diana did during her engagement and wedding period. Kate doesn't have the approachablilty that Diana had, so she won't become the new "peoples princess"
You can tell that Kate knows her place now, and will know it if she marries William.

So what you are saying is that after the wedding people won't be interested in her and she won't sell papers. That means that about six months after the engagement is announced her saleability goes down the drain to you.

I think she will sell throughout her life, if she marries William, simply because she would be the wife of the 2nd in line to the throne, then the wife of the heir and then the Queen Consort. Remember also that there are a whole lot a young people growing up now who have no memory of Diana and they are approaching their teen years and for them Kate will be the royal woman of their teen years and early 20s.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate will sell papers because the British press will hound her, but I do not think she'll be selling papers because she's the "people's princess". I think she'll be selling papers because the press will want to be up in her business and private life and they will want to see if she could cope with being royal. Thats the only reason why she would be selling papers if she were married to William. Kate is not Diana. She doesn't have the tendency to draw people to her the way Diana did.

Bottom Line: Kate will sell papers because people are nosy, not because she's the most liked person in the world.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with this, Iluvbertie. As personally attractive as Kate might be once we get to know her better, I hope that the media and the buying public will be able to give her and William some space to enjoy a personal life before William becomes the Duke of Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Whether she will be the cash cow that Diana was is another question - and I hope not for her sake and that of the royal family who simply don't need another showboat like Diana.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Kate will be popular because of who her husband is and will be. She and William and their children will sell papers because everyone is curious and want to know what's going on in their lives. No matter what Kate does, if she does marry William, every split ends in her hair down to her patronages will make the headlines.

She won't have the "Diana effect" but she'll be popular.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana