The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She should work as a nurse! It´s perfect for a future queen. :flowers:
It´s shows: I care about people!

I can't remember where, but I read an article that said HM The Queen wished Kate (who now wants to be called Catherine) would get a full-time job, as laying about was not a good image to project during the current economic turndowns.

I remember that. Problem is that no matter what she starts to do while being with William, she will be followed like a hawk. As an employer I don't think I'd want all that attention drawn towards one of my employees.

What she is probably doing is working with her parents in the business from wherever she can get an internet connection. Its private and it works for both Party Pieces and Kate without the media attention.

Why is being a nurse 'perfect for a future queen'?
Well because they are efficient (one would hope) sympathetic as well as empathetic, strong, can command/lead when need be and lots of queens and princesses have volunteered as nurses in the past.
That's Russo's take on it anyway.

Well because they are efficient (one would hope) sympathetic as well as empathetic, strong, can command/lead when need be and lots of queens and princesses have volunteered as nurses in the past.
That's Russo's take on it anyway.

Would definitely endear her to Prince Philip. His mother, Alice, was a very empathic soul that did a lot of this kind of work.

Volunteering as a nurse in this day and age is not as easy as it was in Alice's time...other than what we call in the US as Candy Stripers or Grey Ladies. Because of lawsuits and such, you need the training and certification. If Kate was to perhaps go into this kind of training, she'd also have the press all over her once they got wind of what she was doing.

The problem with her going into nursing is that it now generally takes a minimum of three years of education in order to be certified in the UK. It's not something that someone can approach casually as some royal women in the late 19th and early 20th century could.

Honestly in this day and age, Kate could be a doing a lot of things in the privacy of her home that we dont know about. I am in the process of applying to be a customer service rep working from home. I could never leave the house again to to go "work". I have also taken graduate courses on line. This could be the case for Kate and we would never know.

The problem with her going into nursing is that it now generally takes a minimum of three years of education in order to be certified in the UK. It's not something that someone can approach casually as some royal women in the late 19th and early 20th century could.

I know here in the US its a 120 hour course to be an EMT, 2 years of study for a LPN (licensed practical nurse) and 4 years to be a RN (registered nurse). However... with having first aid/cpr/aed certification one can run as a third person on an ambulance to assist an EMT or a paramedic.

Come to think of it... if Kate did go into studying this stuff, she'd know what William is doing. I took EMT training for my own personal knowledge. My husband does it as his profession and I know what goes into what he does. Being hearing impaired I'd never put anyone that is hurt in my hands but I know what needs to be done should it be needed to.

Honestly in this day and age, Kate could be a doing a lot of things in the privacy of her home that we dont know about. I am in the process of applying to be a customer service rep working from home. I could never leave the house again to to go "work". I have also taken graduate courses on line. This could be the case for Kate and we would never know.

I think you've said it best. For one, there is no reason why Kate should be in the public eye right now.. she's not obligated to be at all and I think that's the way both Will and Kate want it. Just as its never been publicized what certification William holds as a rescue pilot as far as what he can do medically or not.. Kate's private works aren't public either. These two are very much wanting to keep their private lives just that.. private.

Fact is that Kate Middleton is dating the future King of England for eight years or so and because of that she is in the public focus. People are interested, want to know what their possible-future-Queen does, what she is like...And I know some people really seems to hate this but most people judge Kate by her actions, what she does with her life.
We all watch her for years...so what does she do????? Kate finished university where she met and caught William. Great for her. And then????:eek: For the last 5 years? She never had a real job in her life. Might be enough for William but people deserve better.
Her image will not change because she got married after public watched her for soooo long. Kate will need years of hard work and another heir to the throne to change that. It´s simply too much time. Camilla´s image changed...she´s now tolerated but not loved and I guess never will be.
If Kate does something "great in private" her trashy family will let us know. They loved to talk to the press or even pose for mags to show what great princess-material Kate is.
I don´t believe that is was Kate´s decision to live privately in Berkshire with her parents. Not after all that partying and posing in London. Guess, she simply had to change her life or William would have dumped her. :ermm:

People keep saying that she has never had a real job but I have yet to see any evidence of this.

Her family runs a very successful business from home and she has been working there for years so unless you are actually in that home and able to see that she does nothing there how can you say she hasn't had a real job - unless you regard working for the family firm as not having a real job in which case I know heaps of people who haven't had a real job as they have only ever worked in their family firms.

Kate's family have insisted that she is working for them and I see no reason to doubt them.

She was partying - with William most of the time - while he was on his gap 18 months after leaving uni but once he started at Sandhurst she stopped the partying a lot as he wasn't there. Of course when they broke up she went out with her friends, just as he did, but other than that they have usually gone out together partying and so on in London.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the anti-Kates base their opposition on things that she did 3 or 4 years ago. OK, yes she wasn't really working (meaning that part-time job at Jigsaw that revolved around William's training), she was partying and shopping a lot, she did pose for the paparazzi, etc. But that was so long ago. If you're going to be against someone, you ought to base it what that person is doing now not then. People do have a tendency to change and grow up.

Sonjapearl, as you seem to be in the know could you please tell me what Kate Middleton is doing right now?
By the way I am not anti- Kate, I am anti -Kate becoming a future Queen of Great Britain and the Commonwealth.
I wish her well but far from the throne in an official capacity. If she continues to be
William´s "petite amie" I am fine with that, I just don´t want the heir to the heir marrying into that family.
If you are going to answer and say that she is putting her photographs together for an exhibition I believe there are many non-professional photographers who would welcome the opportunity to have their work shown but as only one of them is living with a royal prince I think they will not be so lucky.

I don't want her as a future Queen either! And I won't waste my time trying to compare Miss Nothing Special to the late Princess Diana. There's no contest as far as I'm concerned.

If you are going to answer and say that she is putting her photographs together for an exhibition I believe there are many non-professional photographers who would welcome the opportunity to have their work shown but as only one of them is living with a royal prince I think they will not be so lucky.

So, you think she's exploiting her relationship with William?

Last edited:
Facts:
Katie has a nice figure, has a university degree, has not been involved in any scandal, and William’s friends seem to like her.
William has a tight schedule.
Deductions:
William must love her, why would he be with her for such a long time if it were otherwise?
He probably wants to be with her whenever he is able to.
If she had a tight schedule the way he does, would they be able to be together as much as they want to?
Somebody has to give…
Let’s suppose:
She loves him as much as he loves her.
Since the beginning of their relationship he has told her how much he hated private life media exposure.
There is already a date set for their marriage and because of that she is being privately couched on how to be a princess the same way Princess Victoria’s husband was.
Then, there is nothing wrong with Katie.
The one “to shine” has to be William. She can only “shine” when she is his wife.
So far, I think she has the potential of being a good Queen as long as she continues to support William and to make him happy ; and if he turns up to be a charismatic leader, she will not compromise the Monarchy.
And who knows? When the time comes for her to speak and act, she might turn up to be charismatic too!

Well said, but just not the interpretation of all the Kate haters out there!

I can understand all the reasons that William does not marry Kate at this point: the press, the fear of his private life being more public then it already is, the fact that once they are married he along with her will have public duties that will be a must. My opinion is diffrent, that for her sake he should marry her and make her offical before she is torn to peices and becomes a joke. Of course this is my opinion only.

In the next couple of years either Prince William will marry Kate or he will not. Eight years is a long time to be in a relationship. I hope they do get marriage. That is my opinion as she seems to be a nice woman.

If they do marry, it's hard to say if she will be more popular than Diana. A lot of it would depend on how people perceive her. If she is perceived as a people's princess like Diana was, then she will be as popular, perhaps more so. Regardless, she probably will grace a lot of magazine covers. In the United States it's been quite a while since a British royal has graced the cover of a woman's magazine. It's probably been a couple of years, perhaps several years (I can't recall the last time that a British Royal was on the cover of a woman's magazine).

I feel sorry for her. If she marries William people and the media will always compare her to Diana. I just think its unfair.

I feel sorry for her. If she marries William people and the media will always compare her to Diana. I just think its unfair.
It is unfair. Just like Charlene is going to be unfairly compared to Grace. Life is unfair and if Wills marries Miss Kate lets hope she has the gumption to over come it.

InIn the United States it's been quite a while since a British royal has graced the cover of a woman's magazine. It's probably been a couple of years, perhaps several years (I can't recall the last time that a British Royal was on the cover of a woman's magazine).

Well, believe it or not if your talking about real woman's magzines it was Diana on the cover of Good House Keeping 2007, or ones like Time... I would have to say in 1997 when Diana Died and then in 2007 on the 10 year death mark. Diana again.. Camillia, was when she married Charles so I guess she would be the last British royal and she is often on magazine covers not so much as the main story but, Kate has graced the cover of people already I think more the once and she is not yet a royal..

One small point here:

a poster has alluded to Kate Middleton's 'trashy family'. I do object to this.

Her father is an ex-airline pilot, her mother an erstwhile stewardess. Since working in business, they have flourished and become millionaires. Their children were given a prestigious education which would have been neither trashy nor cheap.

Whatever other family connections do or don't do is nothing to do with Kate Middleton.

Overall, I believe that Kate is the child of good, honest, hard-working parents. There is nothing which gives anyone of us any reason to assume otherwise or attempt to demean her by attacking her perfectly acceptable family.

Will she be more popular than Diana? No, I wouldn't think so: Diana was an exceptional woman of a particular time, and times change. But if Kate does become William's wife, she'll be loved and valued, of that I'm confident.

She doesn't seem to be very popular now so I'm not sure how much it would change if she married William. I think she would have to work very hard to prove herself.

Kate has a universary degree. That's very important. I think that anyone who is an heir to a throne preferably should marry someone who has a college degree or at the very least someone who has had some type of higher education. When you are meeting with people all over the world, it's important that you have interest in their country or know something about them. This is part of the job.

Sorry - but a university education won't guarantee an interest in other people's country or knowledge about them.

People without these things can do that quite well and the best example would be HM The Queen who had no higher education and barely an acceptable high school one but she does very well on learning about countries and showing interest.

It is important to want to have that interest but going to university and getting a degree won't guarantee that interest at all.

That's true. However, even though HM the Queen didn't have higher education, she probably had a better education than most people who went to college. I imagine she learned about World Affairs and World History and things that someone who is heir to the throne would need to know. For most of her life she was being prepared to be Queen.

My understanding is that the Queen had a dire and restricted education; however, she speaks beautiful French, a decided asset, and has learnt, from wide and long experience to evaluate the world as it is and to make appropriate judgements. Her lack of any formal education certainly hasn't dulled her intellect. We should note, however, that she determined that her chidren did receive a formal and regular education.

None of this, however, is to do with the constant and demeaning comments made about Kate Middleton, most of which seem unjustified, to me.

Her only 'fault' that I can see is that Prince William chooses to spend the bulk of his free time with her. There are many, no doubt, eager to take her place should HE so wish, but he obviously doesn't, at this stage. Give her a break!

:previous:
Well said, Polly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom