The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I like Kate for these reasons as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
She has behaved 'royally' around the media packs, has never spoken of her relationship with William and I can't see her bareing her soul to the media. Her dignity and decorum will gain her fans across the globe.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Courtier

I hope Kate will adjust better to the royal family than Diana, but I'm not sure she'll ever be as popular. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think Diana had an extraordinary sense of how to manipulate public perception in her favour and make herself look vulnerable/admirable/beautiful to an extreme degree. She sought out a public following. Kate, because of her very discretion/reservedness that is criticized by some, probably won't be inclined to seek attention in the same way. And as a result, she probably won't get it.

I just don't think people attract Diana's level of popularity for being loyal and hardworking. If Kate turns out to be a princess like this, that's excellent, but it won't make her into the media star that Diana was. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Serene Highness

Would anyone ever be more popular than Diana? I mean Diana was loved by people all over the world, she was the princess of hearts, loved by soooo many people, that I doubt Kate or anyone else for that matter could ever become as popular as Di. She doesn't have to be though, does she? As long as people respect and accept her by William's side, that's all she needs IMO!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Aristocracy

Hey ppl check this out!

Kate Middleton Versus Princess Diana - Page: 1 of 1
Old 05-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Those comparisons between Kate and the Princess of Wales are ridiculous.

Imo I don't see Kate beeing as popular as Diana was; it's possible that she might be but I just don't see it right now.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Nobility

I think we should wait and see if they get married first. You never know what might happen. In the article they said she is Prince William's ex-girlfriend, but they are waiting for them to name the date.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Commoner

She probably will be more popular because she's still nobody and see all that can be written about her......
Old 05-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Nobility

Do you think she will always be a little popular even if she doesn't marry William, and somebody else?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Commoner

Of course .. she will ....But first , I really think she's going to marry W.In the other case (for the daydreamer) she will marry in his circle of friends because she's IN...
Old 05-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
Do you think she will always be a little popular even if she doesn't marry William, and somebody else?
Yes. She would always know as William's first big love or William's ex or the girl who almost become a queen.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Royal Highness

In these days of mass media, being "popular" doesn't mean the same to everyone. Personally, I don't think just because someone is being written about in the papers constitutes "popularity". If that's the case, one may be excused for thinking Heather Mills as the most popular person in UK today. As to popular in terms of being well liked by people, I don't think there is a lot of evidence of that either.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Aristocracy

A large part of Diana's popularity was her fashion sense, her seeming empathy and particularly how amazingly photogenic she was. These are trivialities, they certainly aren't the things that make a person whole or good or lovable, but they are, in this media age, the makings of celebrities. Kate doesn't have the extreme photogenicness, and she's displaying a rather boring fashion sense, and we have no idea of her sympathetic nature. As long as she remains this black and white blank slate, she'll never be a celebrity in her own right, as Diana became. She'll be an adjunct to her Prince, and that's not a bad thing. If she and Wills marry, remember, she'll be the "Prince Phillip" to his reigning monarch.

I'm not a huge fan of Kate's but she may be right as a consort.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
. . . . . . Kate doesn't have the extreme photogenicness, and she's displaying a rather boring fashion sense . . . . .
Diana was no fashion prize in her early years, and certainly not during her engagement. Who could ever forget the dowdy see-through cotton dress?

Diana became a style icon by virtue of time and accessability. Only someone with the money of Paris Hilton (Heaven forfend) could dress on the cutting edge of fashion as a single woman.

After Diana was married designers were lining up to "dress" her. I don't know if she ever paid for those clothes or whether designers saw her as the ultimate living, breathing fashion advertisement. IMHO she should have been the one paid. . . . that sort of advertising money just can't buy.

If and when Kate and William get engaged I think she is going to have to fight off the designers and stylists.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Commoner

I think to me, the appeal of Diana was her innocence at the very beginning. She was young, naive, charming, unsure of herself, in love, bashful, shy, all the things that I would think I could be if I had been that age, and that much in love with a future King of England.

To me, Kate Middleton, is not clearly the chosen one. She is 'fiance in waiting' but for how long? How long she can put up with waiting and being on William's beck and call. She is stylish, but is she necessarily empathetic to others less fortunate as Diana was. Diana KNEW what it was like to have family issues, confidence and marital issues, and what it was like on the other side of the Palace. From what little we are shown of Kate in the States, the most we see are glimpses of her leaving a club or walking to and from somewhere, her appearances when William has graduated from wherever, but in reality, Diana showed at an earlier age, true concern and compassion for those less fortunate. One does not have to be 'Royal' to be involved in the welfare of others.

So, my vote, which could change at a later date, to me, Kate will never be a Diana.....
Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by baguetteprincess View Post
To me, Kate Middleton, is not clearly the chosen one. She is 'fiance in waiting' but for how long? How long she can put up with waiting and being on William's beck and call.
Just think princess Lilian of Sweden - she accepted for ages that prince Bertil would not marry her but stayed with him anyway as his "girlfriend" (an American friend told me "girlfriend" is the right word, even if the lady in question is over 70 yo.).

But, coming back to popularity: we know today that Diana actually wanted that popularity and presence in the media that she catered for it directly and with efforts. Catherine doesn't want it and doesn't do anything to durther the media's interest. She knows IMHO that she doesn't need the media to back William into a corner, that in her case an offer, if it will be made, is made out of the free will of the groom and not enforced like it was with Charles.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana had her flaws but regardless she was loved by so many and showed she was different and special even early on, Kate has yet to show those IMO she may later on, I don't know maybe we just don't really know her and what's shes like but right now so I'm trying not to form sudden conclusions.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Commoner

Diana had CHARISMA. and found it very difficult to cope with the Windsors.

Kate is way too often in the spotlight and at quite an early stage. She might be smart, have the looks and ambitions but by the time (and if) she marries Prince William we might be not so much interested in her.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by baguetteprincess View Post

To me, Kate Middleton, is not clearly the chosen one. She is 'fiance in waiting' but for how long? How long she can put up with waiting and being on William's beck and call. She is stylish, but is she necessarily empathetic to others less fortunate as Diana was. Diana KNEW what it was like to have family issues, confidence and marital issues, and what it was like on the other side of the Palace. From what little we are shown of Kate in the States, the most we see are glimpses of her leaving a club or walking to and from somewhere, her appearances when William has graduated from wherever, but in reality, Diana showed at an earlier age, true concern and compassion for those less fortunate. One does not have to be 'Royal' to be involved in the welfare of others.

So, my vote, which could change at a later date, to me, Kate will never be a Diana.....
I agree with you. I also have the feeling that Kate is pursuing her own goal of becoming a princess and that does not impress me.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by inka7 View Post
Diana had CHARISMA. and found it very difficult to cope with the Windsors.
Only to some, others had the same feelings that some on here now exhibit towards Catherine. I suppose it depends on whether you prefer your lettuce limp or crispy.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Only to some, others had the same feelings that some on here now exhibit towards Catherine. I suppose it depends on whether you prefer your lettuce limp or crispy.
Oh you really are awful . . . but I like it. You obviously prefer to call a spade a bl**** great ditch digger than witter around the point, which in this case was both pointed and pithy.

I really fail to understand why it is that mature adults refuse to admit that one can agree to disagree. That being the case, I find your point well made and do, in fact, concur.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana