The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
A question for those with knowledge of genetics:

Should we be considering the proportion of males to females in Spencer line breeding? This discussion has been about the Windsor line, but in each case the father of the children in question had a mother who contributed genetic material to that father. Is any of the genetic material inherited from the mother relevant to the subsequent production of progeny by her male child or is all the gender-determining genetic material only inherited from the male parent?

If I understand it right, William has a 50/50 shot of providing the Y chromosome.

After that, the variation is determined by the conditions of the woman's womb. One set of swimmers (I can't remember which) is said to be faster than the other, so the depth of penetration can affect the gender (deeper penetration increases the chance of the slower swimmers hitting the end goal). When ovulation occurs can affect things - one set of swimmers will last longer in the womb, so having sex the day before as opposed to the day of ovulation can affect the gender. The overall acidity of the womb can affect it, as one set prefers a less acidic environment.

I think in considering family history it would be most relevant to consider the paternal line of the father - that is the male ancestors of the DoE - to see their son-to-daughter ratio, and the female ancestors of the mother to see their son-to-daughter ratio.

If I remember correctly, looking at the line from Christian IX to the grandchildren of the DoE there was a fairly close ratio, but I haven't looked at it since before George was born so I could be remembering wrong. I don't know enough about Kate's extended family to comment on that ratio.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent

If you look just at the paternal line of Prince Philip-

Father Prince Andrew of Greece. Four daughters, one son.

Grandfather King George 1 of Greece. Five sons three daughters.

Great-grandfather King Christian of Denmark. Three sons, three daughters.

Great-grt-grandfather Duke Friedrich Wilhelm of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg. Seven sons. Three daughters.

Grt-grt-grt grandfather Duke Friedrich Karl of S.-H-S-G. Two daughters, one son.

So, Prince Philip's ancestors in the paternal line produced 17 sons and 15 daughters for five generations.
Prince Philip sired three sons and one daughter.
He has four grandsons and four granddaughters.
So far he has three great-granddaughters and one great-grandson.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If you look just at the paternal line of Prince Philip-

Father Prince Andrew of Greece. Four daughters, one son.

Grandfather King George 1 of Greece. Five sons three daughters.

Great-grandfather King Christian of Denmark. Three sons, three daughters.

Great-grt-grandfather Duke Friedrich Wilhelm of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg. Seven sons. Three daughters.

Grt-grt-grt grandfather Duke Friedrich Karl of S.-H-S-G. Two daughters, one son.

So, Prince Philip's ancestors in the paternal line produced 17 sons and 15 daughters for five generations.
Prince Philip sired three sons and one daughter.
He has four grandsons and four granddaughters.
So far he has three great-granddaughters and one great-grandson.

It's not accurate to count all of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren - Anne's descendants aren't male-line.

The DoE has 3 male line grandsons, 3 male-line granddaughters, and 1 male-line great-grandson.

So the ratio is 25 to 19 in favour of the men.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Nobility

If another boy is born, they will try for a girl...IMHO
Old 09-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree. I'd even go as far as saying that I think they would pull a Joachim and Marie and try until they have a girl. A daughter/granddaughter/niece seems to be much wanted within the family.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

And what if a girl won't come? Imagine them with 10 sons
Old 09-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
And what if a girl won't come? Imagine them with 10 sons
Exactly. My Parents had Four Sons. I being the youngest, My Paternal Grandmother also had Four in a row after Her First Child that was a Daughter.

William and Catherine could have Four Daughters following George or another Nine Sons!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Exactly. My Parents had Four Sons. I being the youngest, My Paternal Grandmother also had Four in a row after Her First Child that was a Daughter.

William and Catherine could have Four Daughters following George or another Nine Sons!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Everyone has their preference: boy or girl, it's natural but I am sure that if Kate and William will have all sons they will be happy because the only thing thaat matters is that they children are healthy!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
If another boy is born, they will try for a girl...IMHO
I believe the Duchess has indicated she wants to have multiple children. I can easily see her having three children, or maybe even four as the Queen.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Courtier

In our neighbourhood lived a Family with 18 sons .... just one daughter *lol*
Old 09-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Courtier

Well, if the Cambridges only have sons - Harry will be our last hope for a Wales line Princess/daughter - wouldn't a ginger daughter of Prince Harry be something?
Aren't all of Princess Anne's granddaughters blonde?
I can't quite decide what color Prince George's hair is - maybe light brown?
Old 09-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

If it's another boy I'd love them to try again for a third child as no doubt the comparisons to Princess Diana having 2 sons will no doubt soon follow.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Courtier

A question with no answer I suspect.

If there is a 50 / 50 of either girl or boy, who decides the winner?? And why are they the winner?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
If it's another boy I'd love them to try again for a third child as no doubt the comparisons to Princess Diana having 2 sons will no doubt soon follow.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
You are right but if they will ended up with 2 kids the comparison will always follow: sons like Diana or a daughter compared to Diana...

After all the comparison have been drawn since they start dating
Old 09-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Majesty

Maybe the baby will be born in April. It will be amazing if the baby is born on the Queen's birthday!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Every baby is a roll of the dice. So every time the dice are loaded with not only the sex determining chromosomes, but so many other which determine height, eye color, just everything.
Also, I was taught in biology and by my obstetrician that there are slightly more boys born in the world, but they carry more genetic diseases and are slightly less hardy than female babies and therefore slightly likely to survive than females. so their numbers are about even when they are old enough to reproduce.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Nature is a wonderful thing!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

It would be lovely to have a little princess, but another boy would be a playmate for George just as Harry was for William.

I think it's a win/win situation!
Old 09-13-2014, 05:59 AM
Courtier

Meet Kate Middleton and Prince Will's new Norfolk neighbours | Mail Online

What I find interesting about this article, is all these people have sons here, and sons there, and no daughters at all!
Old 09-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Not true; Tom and Polly Coke have three daughters and one son.

Closed Thread