The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Commoner

what about Kate's family? Carole & Mike have 2 daughters and one son.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't.

I think people in their position should set a good example, and limit reproduction to two children.

What they can afford is moot. Even the wealthiest cannot buy more resources. Many problems in the world today are directly attributable to overpopulation.
mirabel, can you expand on your thoughts? i find this interesting: why do you believe people should limit to 2 children? i am not against it, or for it, i don't really have an opinion on the matter and i heard very few people strongly addressing little / lots of children, so i am curious as to what the reasons behind this are.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
mirabel, can you expand on your thoughts? i find this interesting: why do you believe people should limit to 2 children? i am not against it, or for it, i don't really have an opinion on the matter and i heard very few people strongly addressing little / lots of children, so i am curious as to what the reasons behind this are.
Just to give an answer to this (because it is an issue that people discuss, and I'm sure Mirabel can elaborate), but basically, two children per couple is the generally the "replacement rate" for fertility - it would sustain current population levels, rather than increasing them and leading to overpopulation issues.

In my view, it's a personal issue for William and Kate; they're the ones who can best decide what is right for them. I doubt the number of children they have is going to have that much of an impact on other people's choices.

Right now, my thoughts are mostly on this baby. I'd love for them to have a girl, as there have been so many boys born into that branch of the family (i.e., the 3 of the Queen's 4 children are boys; Diana and Charles had 2 boys, and William and Kate of course have George). However, a new member of the family is a happy thing either way, and I hope that the baby is healthy and that Kate is back to feeling better soon.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I don't.

I think people in their position should set a good example, and limit reproduction to two children.

What they can afford is moot. Even the wealthiest cannot buy more resources. Many problems in the world today are directly attributable to overpopulation.
Most resources are bought by the wealthiest people in Europe, Australia, the USA, etc. And they have fewer children in average. But people in the poor areas of the world have lots of children cause its a way of living, survival, labour force in families. So, it doesn't' matter how many babies will be in Cambridge's or other wealthy families.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellin View Post
Most resources are bought by the wealthiest people in Europe, Australia, the USA, etc. And they have fewer children in average. But people in the poor areas of the world have lots of children cause its a way of living, survival, labour force in families. So, it doesn't' matter how many babies will be in Cambridge's or other wealthy families.
But people in the wealthier countries use far more natural resources than in poorer ones, so you might say their children have a much greater impact on the environment. Therefore the argument that the number of children they have doesn't matter isn't the case.

I don't want to get into a huge discussion on this, and I realize that opinions vary; I just meant that if educated, high-profile couples don't set a good example, why should we expect anyone else to do so?
Old 09-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Just to give an answer to this (because it is an issue that people discuss, and I'm sure Mirabel can elaborate), but basically, two children per couple is the generally the "replacement rate" for fertility - it would sustain current population levels, rather than increasing them and leading to overpopulation issues.

In my view, it's a personal issue for William and Kate; they're the ones who can best decide what is right for them. I doubt the number of children they have is going to have that much of an impact on other people's choices.

Right now, my thoughts are mostly on this baby. I'd love for them to have a girl, as there have been so many boys born into that branch of the family (i.e., the 3 of the Queen's 4 children are boys; Diana and Charles had 2 boys, and William and Kate of course have George). However, a new member of the family is a happy thing either way, and I hope that the baby is healthy and that Kate is back to feeling better soon.
However, 3 out of 4 great grandchildren are girls! Agree 100% with your last statement.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I agree.I don't know what they were thinking. This trip has been months in the planning and even if she didn't think she would get HG again it was always a possibility. If I had been in her shoes knowing that I was due to visit another country who had put in a great deal of effort to host me there is no way I would have let this happen knowing that I could be too ill to go. These two though often seem to put their own desires before duty so it's nothing new. I just hope she still makes it and doesn't throw up the whole time she is there.

Wow! Now I've seen it all. She's a horrible person for having a baby I'm stunned.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

The male parent determines gender...so it really doesn't matter about Kate's family when it comes to boy/girl ratio.

LaRae
Old 09-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Fan_2013 View Post
what about Kate's family? Carole & Mike have 2 daughters and one son.
It doesn't overly matter about Kate's family when it comes to gender as it is the male gamete that determines the gender. William is one of two boys and his father is one of 3 boys. Statiscally you could say he is likely to have another boy but then Andrew had two girls and Edward had one of each.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

And Philip was one of 5 with 4 sisters and yet he fathered 3 boys out of his 4 children. His father had more brothers than sisters but his paternal grandfather was one of 6 - 3 boys and 3 girls.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Tanit Lee Lascelles, born in 1981, has an ambiguous name, but is a girl.
Thank you - I will edit my post accordingly by adding 1 more girl to the Lascelles and to the total.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
But people in the wealthier countries use far more natural resources than in poorer ones, so you might say their children have a much greater impact on the environment. Therefore the argument that the number of children they have doesn't matter isn't the case.

I don't want to get into a huge discussion on this, and I realize that opinions vary; I just meant that if educated, high-profile couples don't set a good example, why should we expect anyone else to do so?
But it is already the case that educated people of higher socio-economic levels are the ones having fewer children (I don't know the stats on high-profile couples). And I'm not sure that people are necessarily looking to educated, high-profile couples for setting such examples, as there are obviously a number of components that contribute to the size of families. Though I do understand your general concerns, I think that, for William and Kate, so much of their lives already get decided for them, and the size of their family is one area that they should have some freedom in (and not worry about serving as some kind of PSA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
However, 3 out of 4 great grandchildren are girls! Agree 100% with your last statement.
Yes, that's true. I was just mostly thinking of the children of family members who are direct heirs to the throne because, obviously, they become the focus of attention and lead public lives. Also, I know Charles would very much like a girl in the family. But, of course, these are things I don't take too seriously - it's just interesting to discuss the possibilities. It's all exciting either way.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

One can also say that the duties of wealthier countries is to lower their impact on the environment by lowering their standard of living and excluding of their lives everything useless or vain, not to have less children. I am working about environment concerns and everything is leading to the same conclusion : the earth would go better if we would learn to live much more frugally. That is the point on which we could set a good example. Having less children and keeping the same way of life will only lead to a disaster.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
If you go back further
Elizabeth II Three Sons One Daughter
George VI Two Daughters
George V Five Sons One Daughter
Edward VII Three Sons (one Died shortly after Birth) Three Daughters
Victoria Five Daughters Four Sons
George III Nine Sons Six Daughters

In almost every Generation Going back To George I (Including Fredrick The Prince Of Wales) The Monarch (Or Heir) had at least One Son and One Daughter. Of the 65 Legitimate Children (not counting George IV as he is Victoria Uncle) born to Monarchs or Heirs in the last 300 Years 41 have been Sons and 25 have been Daughters.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
William IV was Victoria uncle.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Courtier

The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant with a second child

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofMontpelier View Post
William IV was Victoria uncle.

He never had any legitimate Children. Correction he had one but didn't live long

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Courtier

The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant with a second child

This is Bile and Disgusting! this person get everything She deserves:

Scottish woman posts Duchess of Cambridge miscarriage post on Facebook | UK | News | Daily Express

She has been Fired from her Job
Old 09-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Nobility

What a NASTY NASTY witch!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

As I read that woman's comment, all she was doing was suggesting the pregnancy wasn't genuine and that the announcement was designed to get sympathy for the English case in the Scotting referendum. I didn't read it as her hoping that Kate would really have a miscarriage.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Royal Highness

The baby needs to be a boy to even out the greatgrandchildren. If Kate has twin boys then everything will be even.

Princess Anne 1 boy & 1 girl
Prince Charles 2 boys
Prince Andrew 2 girls
Prince Edward 1 girl & 1 boy

Hopefully William is not a trouble maker...
Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

A question for those with knowledge of genetics:

Should we be considering the proportion of males to females in Spencer line breeding? This discussion has been about the Windsor line, but in each case the father of the children in question had a mother who contributed genetic material to that father. Is any of the genetic material inherited from the mother relevant to the subsequent production of progeny by her male child or is all the gender-determining genetic material only inherited from the male parent?