The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant with a second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
I am old enough to remember women being criticized for having careers outside of raising a family. That they were being selfish, preferring working over caring for their children. Women who were able to quit working to raising their children were praised as being better than those who worked.

Now women are being criticized as slackers because they put raising their children over a career.

Catherine will be dealing with a 2 year old and a newborn/infant in 2015. I see nothing wrong with giving her some slack on public duties. While many complain that she is not out and about cutting ribbons on this and that 7 days a week, her primary duty is to ensure the Windsor line continues... Giving birth to heirs. So she likes being a mom. I would think many would praise her for her devotion to her child, soon to be children. The alternative would be the Queen's method of raising children, joining your husband in Malta for months while leaving your child behind in London with nannies.

I also seem to recall criticism that she did did not get pregnant sooner.

Catherine just can not seem to please people no matter what she does.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
:previous: Excellent comments and I wholeheartedly agree.

I've always understood that Kate and William keep a small staff (relatively speaking) and that she does at least some of the usual household chores etc. I have someone come in a couple times a month to help out and I don't even have kids at home anymore!

Frankly I say let her be a stay at home mom as long as she and William decide...if that means minimal appearances then people need to deal with it. Her most important 'job' is being a mom. She is fortunate enough to be able to stay home without worrying about the money....no one should begrudge her that.

LaRae

I whole-heartily agree, LaRae. THE most important job in the world is being a mother.

I am old enough to remember women being criticized for having careers outside of raising a family. That they were being selfish, preferring working over caring for their children. Women who were able to quit working to raising their children were praised as being better than those who worked.

Now women are being criticized as slackers because they put raising their children over a career.

Catherine will be dealing with a 2 year old and a newborn/infant in 2015. I see nothing wrong with giving her some slack on public duties. While many complain that she is not out and about cutting ribbons on this and that 7 days a week, her primary duty is to ensure the Windsor line continues... Giving birth to heirs. So she likes being a mom. I would think many would praise her for her devotion to her child, soon to be children. The alternative would be the Queen's method of raising children, joining your husband in Malta for months while leaving your child behind in London with nannies.

I also seem to recall criticism that she did did not get pregnant sooner.

Catherine just can not seem to please people no matter what she does.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

That is an excellent comment, Catherine will never please all the people and I doubt is she really cares. She is married and raising her son and having another baby:lol:, oh the woes of 2 small children running around a home getting into everything, how delightful and stressful this will all be for her and William. Naysayers will always be around and I doubt if they could do the job that she is doing, some people just like to complain about nothing so they can heard and possibly be seen, ignore them and they will go away.
I think she and William have a very strong relationship and their job is loving and nurturing these children...
I am hoping for a healthy baby first and a princess second..............

Millions of women go back to work shortly after baby #2 is born, with a daycare center being their only help. And "work" consists of 40 hours a week, not being chauffeured to an event for an hour of small talk once or twice a month. So yes, I think the Duchess could step up her engagements, even with 2 small children. For starters, she might drop in at each of her charities for a change.

No need for her to work with two small children if she doesn't want to. The fact that some women have no choice is totally irrelevant. Making the Cambridges into lower/middle class Americans is useless.

Millions of women go back to work shortly after baby #2 is born, with a daycare center being their only help. And "work" consists of 40 hours a week, not being chauffeured to an event for an hour of small talk once or twice a month. So yes, I think the Duchess could step up her engagements, even with 2 small children. For starters, she might drop in at each of her charities for a change.

And why should she go back to work if she doesn't have to, all to give the naysayers something to grip about......a woman's most important job in the world when having children is to raise the child to be a productive human being which I think she and William are doing for George sure seems like a child who is well loved and cared for. Fortunately she is in the position of having money to stay home and care for her child/children which doesn't make her caring less about her duties in the family. She isn't like the average person because of whom she married so she certainly shouldn't be judged by anyone just because they want to see her cut another ribbon or say a word to have a picture taken so that the people can satisfy their curiosity as to what she is going..

Every time someone complained about her lack of engagements after George was born we kept being told she was on mat leave and no doubt it will be the same after this one is born. But unlike mat leave for other women she doesn't have to do domestic chores or struggle to pay the mortgage on reduced mat pay on top of looking after her screaming children.

So what is the point you are making?

And why should she go back to work if she doesn't have to, all to give the naysayers something to grip about......a woman's most important job in the world when having children is to raise the child to be a productive human being which I think she and William are doing for George sure seems like a child who is well loved and cared for. Fortunately she is in the position of having money to stay home and care for her child/children which doesn't make her caring less about her duties in the family. She isn't like the average person because of whom she married so she certainly shouldn't be judged by anyone just because they want to see her cut another ribbon or say a word to have a picture taken so that the people can satisfy their curiosity as to what she is going..

While I agree with you when you say that Kate doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to, I do want to be a bit nitpicky and say that it's a parents most important job to raise their child. Wether that parent is a woman or a man shouldn't matter. I do get a bit tired every time someone or some media outlet acts like a father is some optional hanger-on that's only good to bring in the money.

No need for her to work with two small children if she doesn't want to. The fact that some women have no choice is totally irrelevant. Making the Cambridges into lower/middle class Americans is useless.

There are actually more and more mothers of the middle class - at least in my country - who are staying at home to bring their children up even if it means earning less and lowering their standards of living. So the DoC's choice may be a trending one in our society.

Here in the US we are seeing more of that too and even lower income moms are staying home along with the middle income moms.

LaRae

Catherine will be on maternity leave at some point down the road during the pregnancy but she will continue on with her official duties in the meantime. She did with her first pregnancy, so I expect the same now.

I like Angela Epstein's closing statements:

George will gain more than just a brother. He'll gain a life-long friend.

Very well expressed!!

Who's to say he won't gain a lifelong friend in a sister? You don't have to be same-sex siblings to be close to one another. I am sure that George and his new sibling, regardless of the gender, will find a lot of support in each other.

Who's to say he won't gain a lifelong friend in a sister? You don't have to be same-sex siblings to be close to one another. I am sure that George and his new sibling, regardless of the gender, will find a lot of support in each other.

Agreed completely and I disliked that article- made some pretty intense assumptions about importance of gender.

Duchess of Cornwall and her late brother are an excellent example of siblings being friends.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree 100%. We'll see her now and then. There seems to be an assumption that if there aren't new videos and pictures of HRH, it means that she isn't doing anything. I've said over and over again that I'd rather see less of William and Catherine now if it means that we'll have a stable marriage and family life to look at 10 years in the future. Catherine does a terrific job when she makes royal appearances. She seems to give her all.

.....a woman's most important job in the world when having children is to raise the child to be a productive human being which I think she and William are doing for George sure seems like a child who is well loved and cared for. Fortunately she is in the position of having money to stay home and care for her child/children which doesn't make her caring less about her duties in the family. She isn't like the average person because of whom she married so she certainly shouldn't be judged by anyone just because they want to see her cut another ribbon or say a word to have a picture taken so that the people can satisfy their curiosity as to what she is going..

Mind you, there will be times when they might just try or that it sounds like they're trying to kill each other, but in the end will have a bond for life.

I was a late in life surprise to my Mom (43) and my much older Half Sister Judy's first Pregnancy w/my Nephew David overlapped w/Mom having me. There's a picture from my 1st Christmas where Judy's holding me while sitting on the floor beside the Tree, and whenever I see it, I always wonder what must have been going through her mind at that moment. She would have just found out about expecting David, so...Anyway...

I was born October 30, 1972 and David on August 1, 1973 and although there were moments over the years, such as when he stole my dump truck one day, he would not give it back, so I slammed him face first into the sandbox**, but now...He knows I've got his back and vice versa. When I lost my first Kidney Transplant and there was a fair amount of time between learning the news and going to the OR, David was the first to call after my Sister got the word out. When we learned the horrible news of his Dad's Cancer diagnosis this Spring, I reminded him he only needs to call/E-mail.

George and this little one will have the same deep bond regardless of whether or not this sweet one is a Prince or Princess. I can't wait to watch it all happen over the coming years. :D:D:D

**I was 5 and David was 4. I still feel I was justified in my actions at the time however. ;) :D

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Agreed completely and I disliked that article- made some pretty intense assumptions about importance of gender.

Duchess of Cornwall and her late brother are an excellent example of siblings being friends.

There is also the assumption that a girl will be all 'barbie' and not want to get involved in a brothers rough and tumbles. What a load of rot. I have yet to see a young girl who doesn't want to run around and play in the mud and climb things, if their parents would let them.

Zara and Peter are a perfect example of brother and sister being good friends and being rough and tumble while little.

A boy will probably have an easier time in the royal spotlight. He gets sent to Eton, University and then the armed forces as a career. He doesn't have to worry about weight, hair and fashion that a royal girl would.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

There is also the assumption that a girl will be all 'barbie' and not want to get involved in a brothers rough and tumbles. What a load of rot. I have yet to see a young girl who doesn't want to run around and play in the mud and climb things, if their parents would let them.

I totally agree, though I do think there are some "girly" girls who don't want to do the fun things you describe, and boys who are very "blokey", but they are extremes and most people fall somewhere in the middle. I was a tomboy as a child and preferred animals to dolls.

It's always possible that George will be a very blokey type and this new sibling, if a boy, will be totally different and perhaps even want to pursue a career in something like fashion or ballet. And if it is a girl, she may want to cut her hair short and join the army and fly helicopters.

Whatever the case, I hope their parents encourage them to do what they want to do and what makes them happy, and not force them to behave in accordance with gender stereotypes.

Last edited:

Prince George can also gain a life-long friend in a sister.
It is important that brothers and sisters care about each other.

Prince George can also gain a life-long friend in a sister.
It is important that brothers and sisters care about each other.
I agree. Brothers and sisters can form Life Long friendships. I have two Cousins (one is 7 Years older then me and the other only six months younger then me) who are very close. My Younger cousin look up to his sister kind of as a motherly type and has lot of respect for her. He has always done what she tells him to do.

Some close Royal Sister-Brother in the pass have been:

Princess Victoria, The Princess Royal (Later German Empress) and Prince Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (Later Edward VII)

Prince George of Wales (Later George V) and Princess Victoria Of Wales (Later The Princess Victoria)

Mary, Princess Royal and Edward Duke of Windsor

I don't know...I was a very girly girl...hated getting dirty and insisted on wearing lacy party dresses on all occasions.

Nothing to do with my parents, it was a personal preference.

On my last trip to Disneyland, I was astounded at all the little princesses running around, many fresh from the Disney beauty salon.

Never say gender doesn't matter, I'm convinced it's innate! ;)

I agree. It's innate in each individual. Each of us is born with our own set of personal characteristics.

Yes, indeed, Roslyn. One of my cousins was as tomboy as girls come and yet she's got two of the most adorable girly-girls in the world.

What wonderful news!
I was very close to my brother, despite a wide age difference, until I unfortunately lost him two years ago, but no question, brothers and sisters can be very close.

I don't know...I was a very girly girl...hated getting dirty and insisted on wearing lacy party dresses on all occasions.

Nothing to do with my parents, it was a personal preference.

On my last trip to Disneyland, I was astounded at all the little princesses running around, many fresh from the Disney beauty salon.

Gender is a characteristic that is highly varied. For every girl obsessed with princesses, there is a girl obsessed with sports.

And there are a ton of girls who have very varied interests.

Gender isn't fixed. Never has been.

Here in the US we are seeing more of that too and even lower income moms are staying home along with the middle income moms.

LaRae

The only thing to say to women not working is that they are very welcome in my book - but I don't want the state to pay subsidy to these women.

And a general warning. A woman that is not working have to be much nicer :ROFLMAO:
I'm referring to a radioprogram where this subject was discussed. And a man said that he would like women to take care of the home and not work - because then they would have to treat their husbands much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom