The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. I'd be a little wary of this spray tanning stuff. If it can harm unborn babies, what does it do to you anyway?

Roslyn said:
Hmm. I'd be a little wary of this spray tanning stuff. If it can harm unborn babies, what does it do to you anyway?

I don't know that it's been proven conclusively that it will harm a fetus, it's just that pregnant women are generally advised to stay away from anything that possibly could. Same with hair dye.

I tend to stay away from any chemical that can be absorbed through the skin and could possibly be harmful, let alone considering the side effects for a fetus.

Last edited:
I don't know that it's been proven conclusively that it will harm a fetus, it's just that pregnant women are generally advised to stay away from anything that possibly could. Same with hair dye.

Same reasoning applies though. It it can possibly harm a fetus, it can possibly harm you. If women are being warned to refrain from using something while they are pregnant, it raises the question of whether they should use it anyway. Like alcohol. I was only thinking about that last night when there was a bouncy ad on TV promoting giving up smoking and applauding people for saying no. It occurred to me that a similar long-term campaign encouraging people to cut down drinking alcohol would be good, too, since relatively small amounts can be harmful and we don't need it. But that will never happen - too much pressure from the industry.

I'm wandering too far off the track though. :blush:

Actually, more and more research suggests that alcohol in moderation will not harm a pregnancy. Many women prefer to err on the side of caution, which is understandable, but light to moderate alcohol consumption will generally not cause harm to a pregnancy.

I think "generally" is the key word there. How much is too much? I think it would only take reading one article on fetal alcohol syndrome to stop a pregnant woman from drinking any alcohol at all.

I asked my doctor about the spray tan thing when I was pregnant and he said it wouldn't do any harm to use it so I did and my babies were both fine.

I got sick after using spray tan all over in high school. I was playing a "native" in The Desert Song. Of course I did not know I had Porphyria, in which many chemicals can be triggers (but not all--one has to know which ones, and of course I was ignorant, for many years). I now avoid all skin lotions except those I buy at the Health Food Store. And I deliberately absorb aspirin through my skin after powdering it myself and mixing it in cream (I do this to reduce the platelets in my blood, as I cannot take the aspirin by mouth without severe stomach pain). Some doctors say one can't absorb the aspirin this way, others say it's the best way to absorb it. More ignorance.

Please don't use that spray tan. It isn't worth the chance.

I severely doubt that Catherine has ever used spray tanning, she has always looked the same pale colour to me it's one thing I like about her. Except when she left hospital, she hasn't looked 'sick' or 'ill' to me. We don't know what she feels like on a day to day basis and that's probably why we won't see her until the end of February.

I asked my doctor about the spray tan thing when I was pregnant and he said it wouldn't do any harm to use it so I did and my babies were both fine.

Mine told me not to use spray tan. There it is different doctors have different opinions.

However when I was pregnant I was so sick that even the spray tan's smell made be sick. I couldn't apply any cream on my face

Again, we don't know if this story about the duchess is true

I feared she would be sick until the end of her pregnancy!

Despite the fact she really looks paler than ever she's still beautiful and doens't look unhealthy:flowers:

Agree with you hkittybaby, she didn't look ill at all during the portrait unveiling!

I feared she would be sick until the end of her pregnancy!

Despite the fact she really looks paler than ever she's still beautiful and doens't look unhealthy:flowers:

Agree with you hkittybaby, she didn't look ill (IMO) during the portrait unveiling!

I think that both TRH have enough intelligence not to expose their child to chemicals. No Spray Tans, Hair Dyes or raw fish. There is a reason for the warnings people. There is a vast amount of oral medications that pregnant women should not touch. They are 30 and educated. Spray tans, really?

I think everyone have to be careful about believing this story.

Kate looks like she wears lots of makeup. Those rosy cheeks are not natural. But she's smart enough to stay away from most drugs and heavy makeup. She's on a marathon to have a healthy heir, and she will win.

I think that both TRH have enough intelligence not to expose their child to chemicals. No Spray Tans, Hair Dyes or raw fish. There is a reason for the warnings people. There is a vast amount of oral medications that pregnant women should not touch. They are 30 and educated. Spray tans, really?

I thought she used organic hair color. Would think it would be okay for her to continue dyeing her hair.

Most of the warning pregnant women get make little sense. It's impossible to avoid all risk and it seems to me there is more risk in driving or crossing the road than in wearing make-up or some of the other things pregnant women are told not to do.

pregnant women cant wear makeup? i have never heard that one.

Actually, more and more research suggests that alcohol in moderation will not harm a pregnancy. Many women prefer to err on the side of caution, which is understandable, but light to moderate alcohol consumption will generally not cause harm to a pregnancy.

I'd love to see this research of which you speak. As far as I'm aware current evidence-based practice stipulates that absolutely NO amount of alcohol in pregnancy is safe. You cannot infer that no damage has been done simply because the child does not show the signs of fetal alcohol syndrome.

My mother didn't wear a lot of make up, did not drink alcohol or use fake tan...and look what happened to me!!!:alien:

Common sense dictates cigarettes, alcohol and elicit drugs are proven to be a factor in fetus issues. My mum probably smoked!

I think Catherine is erring on the side of caution to prevent any possible risk to her child. "Better safe than sorry" is another cliche appropriate to this situation as well.

Last edited:
I just continue to hope and pray Catherine and the baby will be okay.

She's better and I'm sure she'll have a healthy baby :)

She will have the best care at least.

I just want to see that baby bump!

I had HG back in 1950's and it lasted the entire pregnancy. All 4 of them. When I delivered the first time, I was given drop ether for pain control, and still wanted food immediately after. Nothing tasted as good as that toast and butter. It was 3 am and I couldn"t wait for a proper breakfast. It is a wonder I ever had a second child, but this was before birth contol pills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom