The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I had rosana on my ignore list? Hmm that's weird. Anyway how can someone say "I'm sure Kate and William" want to know the gender of the baby? Have you met them? Do you have any experience with their personalities?

They still show up when someone else quotes their post in a reply.

I thought I had rosana on my ignore list? Hmm that's weird. Anyway how can someone say "I'm sure Kate and William" want to know the gender of the baby? Have you met them? Do you have any experience with their personalities?

Interesting that Tanna knew abut the pregnancy but the RF didn´t. It is always been very strange how this journalist has so much information on the Middletons, like Kate plying tennis on Christmas, as if someone were leaking info all the time. And he always knows beforehand where Pippa is going to be. Really classy.:)

Very interesting also that William seems to have little communication with his blood family to the point of not informing his father and the Queen that a heir was in the way. I wonder if the palace had handled the pregnancy from the beginning, so many "problems" would have been avoided.

You shouldn't believe everything you read on Royal Dish.

Kate and William had no intention of telling anyone this soon. They were waiting until the standard 12 weeks to inform their families. It's because Kate happened to be with her family when her morning sickness became much more serious that the Middletons were told first. I'm sure Carole and Michael had a pretty strong suspicion of what might be causing the sickness and seeing their daughter being unable to eat or drink will have caused them great concern.

If I started vomiting all day and all night I have no doubt my parents would be asking me what was going on. The fact Kate was rushed to hospital on the advice of her doctor would have made keeping the pregnancy secret almost impossible.

If you throw up non stop for a day people around you might think you have a bug; doing it for multiple days would raise suspicions of a pregnancy in anyone.

Even leopards get morning sickness? I saw an episode of Nature on PBS in which a leopard who was said to be expecting a baby was having morning sickness. Nature is odd.

I believe I heard years ago that when royals were expecting they "retired" from public view. That must have been a way back. They didn't talk about "expecting." If they said anything, they were "enceinte", a French word which was considered more polite.

Even leopards get morning sickness? I saw an episode of Nature on PBS in which a leopard who was said to be expecting a baby was having morning sickness. Nature is odd.

I believe I heard years ago that when royals were expecting they "retired" from public view. That must have been a way back. They didn't talk about "expecting." If they said anything, they were "enceinte", a French word which was considered more polite.

That sounds to me like 18th century custom, or at least Victorian.

Leopards!!! No freakin way; poor little kitties.
Also I believe all women were expected to retire if you were pregnant royal or not royal. It was also indelicate to mention a woman's "condition".

I've just posted on Kate's current events thread that BBC Radio 5 Live has confirmed that Kate will attend the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year show this evening which will be broadcast live on BBC1.

I think we can take from this that her health has improved significantly.

I very much doubt that her health has 'improved significantly.' Once HG starts I wouldn't expect a proper improvement until at least the end of the first trimester, which she is not at. I expect that they've found the right balance of medications to allow her to somewhat carry on with her life, which is indeed excellent news, but its a stopgap, not a cure.

Still, I'm happy to hear that she will turn out. Resuming the normal schedule is a good feeling.

If she was too unwell to attend any of her other engagements last week but feels well enough to attend the SPOTY award and present the prizes on live television, surely she has to be feeling better than she previously did?

For those who haven't heard of it before, the Sports Personality of the Year award is probably the most prestigious award that any British sportsperson can win. The show will be watched by many millions tonight and has a huge profile. I very much doubt Kate would be attending, let alone presenting the main prizes on live TV, if she was not feeling significantly better.

If she was too unwell to attend any of her other engagements last week but feels well enough to attend the SPOTY award and present the prizes on live television, surely she has to be feeling better than she previously did?

For those who haven't heard of it before, the Sports Personality of the Year award is probably the most prestigious award that any British sportsperson can win. The show will be watched by many millions tonight and has a huge profile. I very much doubt Kate would be attending, let alone presenting the main prizes on live TV, if she was not feeling significantly better.
you're right!:flowers: she's feeling better for sure

I assume William is back to work and with Harry deployed, I'm sure she is making more of an effort for 1 of the 3 Royal Olympic Ambassadors to attend. Regardless - she may not be 100%, but she is well enough to attend and participate - very happy for her.

DCVO said:
I very much doubt that her health has 'improved significantly.' Once HG starts I wouldn't expect a proper improvement until at least the end of the first trimester, which she is not at. I expect that they've found the right balance of medications to allow her to somewhat carry on with her life, which is indeed excellent news, but its a stopgap, not a cure.

Still, I'm happy to hear that she will turn out. Resuming the normal schedule is a good feeling.

We actually don't know how far along she is- that info wasn't released. 10 weeks was speculated though- and that was two weeks ago. If that's the case, she's either at the end of the first trimester or very close.

She may simply have severe morning sickness rather than HG. I would agree that if she had HG, by definition, she wouldn't be feeling so much better - but the diagnosis is always provisional and includes longitudinal data.

It's entirely possible the original diagnosis was overly cautious. It's a fine line. Some obstetricians have a grading of HG (mild to severe) so even if it is HG, it's not clear (ever) what form a person has until the pregnancy progresses.

The condition resolves itself in any case (and in some people, it resolves itself earlier in the pregnancy than in others),

Really? Wow...You learn something new everyday. You're right. Nature certainly is odd.

I only hope that Kate's symptoms are if not easing up, then at the very least not getting any worse. It's Christmas time after all and no one wants to be sick at Christmas time. Even if it's for this very special reason. :)

:previous:
Risking to go off-topic, many pregnant animals display symptoms similar to morning sickness. Morning sickness (nausea and vomiting) in most women is the body's way of protecting the foetus from potentially harmful illnesses and chemicals. It is assumed that the same applies to animals.

#i've watched the SPOTY awards and I think that she doesn't look that well. Her face is noticeably thinner than when she left hospital. She looked as of she had to make a reall effort so well done to her - now go and put your feet up!

Artemesia, I agree that morning sickness may rid the body of harmful chemicals which could harm the fetus. I had some harmful chemicals in my body when I had HG, in other words, I had some degree of excess porphyrins, even though I was not in a major attack.
(this was from my hereditary illness, Porphyria). Therefore my body would not allow even modest toxins, such as those from medications or coffee, not to speak of alcohol, to stay down even 30 seconds. After recovering fully from HG at 3 l/2 months, I was able to eat normally and gained a lot of weight, giving birth to a 9 l/2 pound baby whom the nurses said looked like he was already a month old (he was two weeks late). But having had to avoid minor toxins in the first 3 l/2 months, I did not return to taking pills or drinking coffee or even drinking the very rare alcoholic beverage. I ate healthy food. I walked miles a day. I relaxed. It was a wonderful time, never to be repeated.
I remember thinking one day, sitting by the Lake in the Lake Washington Arboretum, "you will never feel this well again." And that's right, I didn't, until recently.
So Kate's HG is probably good for the baby, but only if she pulls out of the HG in the next few weeks, which I think is on the horizon.

There are several photos of Catherine at the awards on: newmyroyals.com
I think she looks lovely in that green dress. She must be feeling much better to be there.

She did look a little worn out around the face but I only saw 3 pix and couldnt tell anything for sure.

She looks very thin and not well, which is just what you would expect from her illness. If she gets well, she will bloom.

She has been throwing her guts up for days, she is allowed to look a little tired I suppose but personally I think she looks beautiful and I'm glad she made the effort and the athletes appreciated Catherine being there

Last edited:
Well, it was good to see Catherine attending this event and even staying to chat with the winners. Obviously she's getting better and really wanted to show everyone that.

She's a beautiful mum to be.

She's feeling better for sure, but it's a long process..

Of course we discuss Kate's pregnancy in a thread entitled 'the Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant'. If you don't want to read about it, don't click on any of the threads about the future Cambridge baby. If it's being discussed in threads on other topics on this site, it should be reported to the moderators as off-topic.

I don't think they will find out the gender of the baby before it is born, solely because it would create the opportunity for the information to leak out. If they and her doctors don't know, then nobody else will either. IMO that is the best way for them to proceed to safeguard their privacy. They would also know that any speculation in the media is just that, speculation.

How would a modern doctor perform routine ultrasound and not know the sex of the baby? The doctor will know and he should ask them if they want to know (if they can't tell from the ultrasound).

They could find out and keep it a secret. The Dr will be able tell all pregnant mothers have ultrasounds. It is usually hard to miss. Most parents like to keep the sex as a surprise I'm sure we will get rumours. I remember people predicting Harry would be a girl but Diana actually said she knew he was a boy she had seen it on one of her scans but didn't tell anyone. I hope it's a girl I think it would be much needed to have a break from 2 Kings. Speculation about the gender an baby names is all part of the fun Royal Baby or not.

They could find out and keep it a secret. The Dr will be able tell all pregnant mothers have ultrasounds. It is usually hard to miss. Most parents like to keep the sex as a surprise I'm sure we will get rumours. I remember people predicting Harry would be a girl but Diana actually said she knew he was a boy she had seen it on one of her scans but didn't tell anyone. I hope it's a girl I think it would be much needed to have a break from 2 Kings. Speculation about the gender an baby names is all part of the fun Royal Baby or not.

Most parents I know choose to know the sex of the baby.

However, yes, they can keep a secret (or try to). Most doctors ask ahead of time if the parents want to know, but once they're explaining what is shown on the ultrasound, the parents can often figure it out themselves.

We shall all proceed to speculate in any case! They could know and tell us the opposite! (Or leak it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom