The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Kate does not take any anti-nausea pills, unless they have better ones than when I was pregnant 50 years ago. Not long before I was pregnant, Thalidomide was a drug used for morning sickness, and it caused children to be born with deformed limbs. By the time I was pregnant, Thalidomide was not used much, but there was another one that was also harmful that had arrived. I knew I could not keep it down, so didn't bother trying. Every pill they gave me came up. Today possibly they have better anti-nausea pills. If by any remote chance the baby has porphyria (it runs in the royal family, although probably much less predominant now) some of these drugs would be a disaster for the baby. I expect the princess' doctor knows about these things as I have read that all royal children are tested for porphyria now, just in case, so they can avoid unsafe drugs, a few unsafe foods, and many unsafe environmental chemicals. I pray for the baby to have NO drugs not necessary. Prince Charles supports homeopathy, probably knowing the possibilities. This baby will have a good start in life whatever its "genes", due to being born in good circumstances with knowledge. Knowledge is power.

When I first heard that Kate had HG, my first thought was "uh-oh, how taxing it must be for both of them."
It's debilitating not only physically but also emotionally as well -- with all the press watching everything, it can take a lot of toll. HG can have other negative consequences such as:

1) health risk for both mother and child

2) some people do not believe in HG (no doubt Kate will be met with naysayers who are basically under the assumption that it's a 'mind over matter' situation. even worse, there will be those who will accuse her of overreacting or even faking her condition in order to get attention -- this is one common response HG sufferers get from friends and families)

3) strain on the relationship between husband and wife (I have heard from other HG women how their pregnancies had a very bad impact on their marriage. Husbands are often required to be both physical, mental, and emotional support for their wives. I know I couldn't do anything without my husband - he made food, washed me, did all the household chores, and took care of our two dogs all on his own while working on his doctorate. This results in stress for both man and wife and if it isn't handled properly, HG can lead to serious resentment or even divorce. I really do hope William will be patient, gentle, and supporting throughout Kate's HG)

4) disrupted family plan (it is not uncommon for people to have only one child nowadays, but as a royal Kate might be under pressure to have at least two. Depending on the severity of the HG and how long it lasts, she might be very hesitant to have a second one. while most of us are free to make our choice about the matter for ourselves, Kate might not.)

Depending on how it works out, HG might bring Will and Kate closer, and will be the first big test on how strong their relationship actually is. It's a real team effort, so both need their family and friends more than ever.

Thy have my best wishes for strength in unity. They are fortunate to be able to get help for daily tasks if needed - they won't have to worry about the financial impact of this illness. But their relationship strain is heightened by public scrutiny. So here's to them leaning on each other for emotional support and coming out stronger for it.

Does anyone else notice how the tabloids are playing up the 'Kate is in danger' angle?
Doctors are stating that although its very uncomfortable and miserable, her condition isn't a danger to her child or herself.

Well the press have never been known to let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I never had much morning sickness....It helped to eat something before I did anything. But obviously Duchess Kate has it much worse.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :)

Does anyone else notice how the tabloids are playing up the 'Kate is in danger' angle?
Doctors are stating that although its very uncomfortable and miserable, her condition isn't a danger to her child or herself.

Just an excuse to add drama. I mean, she's really not far along and at this early stage anything can happen, but why let the fact that the released statement says she's getting better and that the Drs say her condition isn't a danger to her and Baby Cambridge get in the way?!

I can already imagine the conspiracy theorists if she were to have boy & girl twins with the boy born first. They will claim it was done on purpose to remove the boy baby first to insure male succession and probably say Charles was behind the plot. Some people love to live in a world of delusion.

I hope Kate does not take any anti-nausea pills, unless they have better ones than when I was pregnant 50 years ago. Not long before I was pregnant, Thalidomide was a drug used for morning sickness, and it caused children to be born with deformed limbs. By the time I was pregnant, Thalidomide was not used much, but there was another one that was also harmful that had arrived. I knew I could not keep it down, so didn't bother trying. Every pill they gave me came up. Today possibly they have better anti-nausea pills. If by any remote chance the baby has porphyria (it runs in the royal family, although probably much less predominant now) some of these drugs would be a disaster for the baby. I expect the princess' doctor knows about these things as I have read that all royal children are tested for porphyria now, just in case, so they can avoid unsafe drugs, a few unsafe foods, and many unsafe environmental chemicals. I pray for the baby to have NO drugs not necessary. Prince Charles supports homeopathy, probably knowing the possibilities. This baby will have a good start in life whatever its "genes", due to being born in good circumstances with knowledge. Knowledge is power.

There are lots of options for medications now! Unless it is contraindicated in your particular situation, Drs should be able to give you something that can work for you.

Queen Penelope, there are specific "safe" drugs for people with Porphyria, and specific non-safe ones, and there are lists, such as NAPOS list online. The lists are not perfect, as they sometimes don't list the more recently developed drugs. But they are so helpful that this is how I got my dx. They thought I might have MS, but a researcher suggested I check the safe-unsafe drug lists to see if I should be tested. I fit to a T, even though I had never given Porphyria a thought, and neither had my doctors, as it is rare and is not "taught" well in medical schools. I hear from a Porph in Australia that the training of physicians to recognize and treat Porph in Oz is greatly enhanced in the last four years. Her grandson was just born and was put on a porph-caution regime immediately. And she has a great Porph "prof" there who knows all there is to know, a rarity.
I expect the royal obstetrician knows all, or as much as anyone can know who doesn't have it.

Last edited:
Queen Penelope, there are specific "safe" drugs for people with Porphyria, and specific non-safe ones, and there are lists, such as NAPOS list online. The lists are not perfect, as they sometimes don't list the more recently developed drugs. But they are so helpful that this is how I got my dx. They thought I might have MS, but a researcher suggested I check the safe-unsafe drug lists to see if I should be tested. I fit to a T, even though I had never given Porphyria a thought, and neither had my doctors, as it is rare and is not "taught" well in medical schools. I hear from a Porph in Australia that the training of physicians to recognize and treat Porph in Oz is greatly enhanced in the last four years. Her grandson was just born and was put on a porph-caution regime immediately. And she has a great Porph "prof" there who knows all there is to know, a rarity.
I expect the royal obstetrician knows all, or as much as anyone can know who doesn't have it.

Just replying to the bit about antiemetics in pregnancy and that there are much more options out there than generations ago. Thanks to the forums, I'm hearing and learning about things, and now porphyria is another one of them! Didn't realize it was a concern within the BRF, but it has ben mentioned in a few other threads as well.

I love this quote!
He has vowed to do everything in his power to protect Kate from the media frenzy surrounding her pregnancy and Heaven help anyone who crosses the line. At William’s behest, the Queen instructed Palace bigwigs to individually call all of the chiefs at the British newspapers immediately following the pregnancy announcement and warn them, in no uncertain terms, that if any lines are crossed, any intrusive paparazzi shots are purchased and published, or if Kate feels hounded in anyway there will be hell to pay.
— Palace insider on Prince Williams vowed protection for his pregnant wife (via celebritygossipbyrangi)(via royallyobsessed734)

I love this quote!

As much as I don't tend to trust "palace insider" reports, this scenario does sound very plausible and very much like something that Papa Bear William would do. He's not only drawing a line in the sand, he's building foxholes and booby traps around it. I do think for the most part, the couple will spend most of the time in Anglesey hibernating until the birth of the child.

On an off note, it occurred to me what a possible fitting quip would be from Harry on the announcement of the impending birth. "Its about time he grew a heir or two". And a repeat from Charles "They've been practicing long enough." :D

ghost_night554 said:

That Daily Mail article claims that Prince Vincent is the future monarch of Denmark, but there was speculation because he's a twin. Apparently the author did not bother to do any fact checking on the fact that the twins have two older siblings and Prince Christian will be king.

Sigh.

♔ Royal Central ♔ ‏@RoyalCentralUK BREAKING NEWS: Michael, Carol and Pippa Middleton (Catherine's parents and sister) are expected to visit Catherine in Hospital today.

I've also just read that the Duke may have to return to work today

Last edited:
Haven't the British papers been respectful of Kate and William? It's foreign papers that I thought were the problem. Also is you have this chronic morning sickness for one pregnancy will you have it for others?

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal Things looking up at hospital where #Kate is - they just brought out platter of bacon butties for reporters. #earlybirdcatchesworm

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal @RoyalKateDebate: @SkyNewsRoyal Morning Paul. Who were the butties from? Hospital, or the royals?” I'd like to think it was #Kate's idea!

No live stream today and apparently it's begun snowing!

Learn about the dr's caring for Kate
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Jill-Dandos-fiance-expert-treated-Sophie.html

Camilla, her cheeky name for the in-laws and two very formidable grannies

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2243121/Camilla-cheeky-laws-formidable-grannies.html

got an exam tomorrow so need to get some rest see you guys in a few hours

Last edited:
When I first heard that Kate had HG, my first thought was "uh-oh, how taxing it must be for both of them."
It's debilitating not only physically but also emotionally as well -- with all the press watching everything, it can take a lot of toll. HG can have other negative consequences such as:

3) strain on the relationship between husband and wife (I have heard from other HG women how their pregnancies had a very bad impact on their marriage. Husbands are often required to be both physical, mental, and emotional support for their wives. I know I couldn't do anything without my husband - he made food, washed me, did all the household chores, and took care of our two dogs all on his own while working on his doctorate. This results in stress for both man and wife and if it isn't handled properly, HG can lead to serious resentment or even divorce. I really do hope William will be patient, gentle, and supporting throughout Kate's HG)

I don't think we have to fear for their relationship unless there are severe external factors playing in, which I can't see there are or William is very inconsiderate, which is not my impression either.

However a pregnancy, especially a first time pregnancy is a pretty stressful period for the man too. If for no other reason that you feel helpless. You can't do anything to take away the obvious occasional comfort of your wife and you often don't know what foot to stand on and there are times when, no matter what you do, it just isn't right.
It gets even worse if there are complications or the pregnancy is hard (as would appear in Kate's case) or just when your wife is alarmed, because she's just as inexperienced as you - that can really freak out any husband even though you try to hide it.
You think you are fairly prepared because you've read all the books, talked to friends and listened to the advise from nurses and doctors - you ain't!
And you think, the next time will be easier - it won't, you are just more experienced.

But that is weighed up against the positive experiences, reinforced I guess by something hormonal or biological which the pregnancy triggers. Apart from loving you wife, which you do, your protective and caring instincts go into overdrive and there is also very much a macho feeling of pride. You do get a different status among the other males from becoming a dad.
And if you think pregnant women can act irrationally, dads are up there as well! - Like going out to buy a remotely controlled car for your infant son.
It gets even more irrational if/when you get a daughter. I don't know what biological mechanism sets in, but the thing about "daddy's little girl" is absolutely true!

And then there is the grandparent-factor.
You will as a firsttime parent to be experience with amasement how your otherwise sane parents and parent-in-law go completely ga-ga.

Oh yes, Kate and William are in for some interesting months. :lol:

I wonder if it wasn't William's anxiety that drove both to have Catherine admitted to hospital. Her vomiting must have caused terrible memories to come up in William - his own mother suffering from it when under stress and Catherine was pretty busy these days with all the commuting between Wales, London and the places she visited.

I can imagine that it was a very hard decision for the both of them to go public, so there must have been real anxiety. Poor William, poor Catherine - that the backfire when you love so much. You fear so much as well in case something goes wrong.

In media there is the discussion if the baby might be a twin. And it is said that the first born twin will be the future monarch of GB. Would the children be different educated (the first to his future role and the second like usual)?

Feel free to move this post to another thread if it is wrong here!

In media there is the discussion if the baby might be a twin. And it is said that the first born twin will be the future monarch of GB. Would the children be different educated (the first to his future role and the second like usual)?

I would guess so, they'd be an heir and a spare whether they have 10 years, two years or a minute between them wouldn't matter.

I hope there won't be twins. Just imagine Catherine needs a cesarean and her doctor decides who's going to become the heir and who the spare! There's such an amount of potential conflict in this scenario, so I hope it won't becoem a reality.

^A doctor on one of the morning shows said that picking one baby over the other, is unlikely to happen. She said that with the way twins are usually positioned, the doctor has no choice but to pull the first one they can get to.

Haven't the British papers been respectful of Kate and William? It's foreign papers that I thought were the problem. Also is you have this chronic morning sickness for one pregnancy will you have it for others?

I've read that you have over a 50% chance of getting it in the next pregnancy. Some women that have gone through it, chose to only have one child, or adopt because they were afraid of going through it again.

Last edited:
I hope there won't be twins. Just imagine Catherine needs a cesarean and her doctor decides who's going to become the heir and who the spare! There's such an amount of potential conflict in this scenario, so I hope it won't becoem a reality.

Well, the discussion happened as well with Vincent and Josephine from Denmark..... what will happen in case of a Cesarian (which did NOT happen in the end of course)? A specialized doctor has been interviewed, who said, that in 99% of the cases after the cut one twin is directly in front of you and "easily taken out", whereas the second twin is "hidden" underneath the other.....

So there should not be a problem for any doctor, having 2 babies in front of you and you need to decide, whether he first picks the right hand or left hand twin :lol::lol::lol:

BYe Bine

No live stream today and apparently it's begun snowing!

Walked past the hospital this morning (it was on my way), and whilst there are still a big number of reporters and camera crews, there are fewer today compared to yesterday.

Also, it is very cold this morning, but there has been no snow in central London today, or at any other time this winter.

Think that is so dumb someone would prank call the hospital.

georgina brewer@Georginaitv
King Edward hospital admits it fell victim to a hoax as Australian radio show phone and talk to Kate's nurse.

Richard Palmer@RoyalReporter
Mr Lofthouse on the Kate prank call: "We take patient confidentiality extremely seriously and we are now reviewing our telephone protocols.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom