The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hmm. I'd be a little wary of this spray tanning stuff. If it can harm unborn babies, what does it do to you anyway?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
Hmm. I'd be a little wary of this spray tanning stuff. If it can harm unborn babies, what does it do to you anyway?
I don't know that it's been proven conclusively that it will harm a fetus, it's just that pregnant women are generally advised to stay away from anything that possibly could. Same with hair dye.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I tend to stay away from any chemical that can be absorbed through the skin and could possibly be harmful, let alone considering the side effects for a fetus.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I don't know that it's been proven conclusively that it will harm a fetus, it's just that pregnant women are generally advised to stay away from anything that possibly could. Same with hair dye.
Same reasoning applies though. It it can possibly harm a fetus, it can possibly harm you. If women are being warned to refrain from using something while they are pregnant, it raises the question of whether they should use it anyway. Like alcohol. I was only thinking about that last night when there was a bouncy ad on TV promoting giving up smoking and applauding people for saying no. It occurred to me that a similar long-term campaign encouraging people to cut down drinking alcohol would be good, too, since relatively small amounts can be harmful and we don't need it. But that will never happen - too much pressure from the industry.

I'm wandering too far off the track though.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Royal Highness

Actually, more and more research suggests that alcohol in moderation will not harm a pregnancy. Many women prefer to err on the side of caution, which is understandable, but light to moderate alcohol consumption will generally not cause harm to a pregnancy.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think "generally" is the key word there. How much is too much? I think it would only take reading one article on fetal alcohol syndrome to stop a pregnant woman from drinking any alcohol at all.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkittybaby View Post
Yes they can't do it I used to use some spray tan but when I got pregnant I had to stop it as the chemicals can harm the baby
Ah, I see, I thought Catherine's skin has been looking paler recently. Now I know why!
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Serene Highness

I asked my doctor about the spray tan thing when I was pregnant and he said it wouldn't do any harm to use it so I did and my babies were both fine.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness

I got sick after using spray tan all over in high school. I was playing a "native" in The Desert Song. Of course I did not know I had Porphyria, in which many chemicals can be triggers (but not all--one has to know which ones, and of course I was ignorant, for many years). I now avoid all skin lotions except those I buy at the Health Food Store. And I deliberately absorb aspirin through my skin after powdering it myself and mixing it in cream (I do this to reduce the platelets in my blood, as I cannot take the aspirin by mouth without severe stomach pain). Some doctors say one can't absorb the aspirin this way, others say it's the best way to absorb it. More ignorance.

Please don't use that spray tan. It isn't worth the chance.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Ah, I see, I thought Catherine's skin has been looking paler recently. Now I know why!
She really looks paler recently and her pregnancy sickness doesn't help and I'm happy she's feeling better
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I severely doubt that Catherine has ever used spray tanning, she has always looked the same pale colour to me it's one thing I like about her. Except when she left hospital, she hasn't looked 'sick' or 'ill' to me. We don't know what she feels like on a day to day basis and that's probably why we won't see her until the end of February.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I asked my doctor about the spray tan thing when I was pregnant and he said it wouldn't do any harm to use it so I did and my babies were both fine.
Mine told me not to use spray tan. There it is different doctors have different opinions.

However when I was pregnant I was so sick that even the spray tan's smell made be sick. I couldn't apply any cream on my face

Again, we don't know if this story about the duchess is true
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
She really looks paler recently and her pregnancy sickness doesn't help and I'm happy she's feeling better
Me too
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Me too
I feared she would be sick until the end of her pregnancy!

Despite the fact she really looks paler than ever she's still beautiful and doens't look unhealthy
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Despite the fact she really looks paler than ever she's still beautiful and doens't look unhealthy
Agree with you hkittybaby, she didn't look ill at all during the portrait unveiling!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Agree with you hkittybaby, she didn't look ill (IMO) during the portrait unveiling!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Nobility

I think that both TRH have enough intelligence not to expose their child to chemicals. No Spray Tans, Hair Dyes or raw fish. There is a reason for the warnings people. There is a vast amount of oral medications that pregnant women should not touch. They are 30 and educated. Spray tans, really?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Majesty

I think everyone have to be careful about believing this story.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Serene Highness

Kate looks like she wears lots of makeup. Those rosy cheeks are not natural. But she's smart enough to stay away from most drugs and heavy makeup. She's on a marathon to have a healthy heir, and she will win.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I think that both TRH have enough intelligence not to expose their child to chemicals. No Spray Tans, Hair Dyes or raw fish. There is a reason for the warnings people. There is a vast amount of oral medications that pregnant women should not touch. They are 30 and educated. Spray tans, really?
I thought she used organic hair color. Would think it would be okay for her to continue dyeing her hair.

Tags
cambridge, catherine, pregnancy, william