The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I guess the royal couple and palace wanted to be honest about what's going on.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Aristocracy

Awwww, I wish mother and baby well. My coworker is currently in the hospital for the same reasons and she is very ill for 5 weeks now. hopefully, Catherine will not suffer for so long.

Nobility

I gathered all the confirmed info and post it here which was mainly a post about her fashion choices this week, it's now about the pregnancy and I update it once other news are confirmed
Heir Apparent

I'm sure William will be there for his wife and just want her to rest.
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The Duchess of Cambridge is Pregnant!

I heard on BBC news today that the Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant! St James's Palace announced that Catherine was in hospital because she had been suffering from bad morning sickness.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Aristocracy

Very exciting news! Feels like we haven't had a royal baby in a while....
Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Nobility

hurrrrrah!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't see how, they could have easily passed this off as something other than a baby and waited.
From what I have gathered from BBC News 24, it reports that in order to control as much as possible information on the couple, it was decided to make the announcement straightaway before any speculation or rumour arose as to the Duchess's admittance to hospital. I tend to agree with their stance - can you imagine the media would have a field-day of innuendo and gossip all at the Duchess's expense as to what's going on!
It would be pointless to advise the world that the Duchess was in hospital due to an in-growing toenail and then a couple of weeks later say "well, actually we lied, she's pregnant" - then instead of everyone being happy, the press would criticise them for making up stories and they would be no better than a common newspaper.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparent

FINALLY! My mom just woke me up our local news just broke the great news. I am SOOOO happy for them!! Best way to start my week
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparent

The Prince of Wales will be grandfather. I know he's excited but hoping Catherine get well soon.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Aristocracy

Hyperemesis Gravidarum

As I'm studying this RIGHT NOW for my Maternity final I thought I'd give a quick run down on hyperemesis gravidarum for those who wish to know more, and want more than what Wikipedia has to offer.

Definition: severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy that results in weight loss, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, nutritional deficiencies and ketonuria

It occurs in 0.5% of all live births.

Risk factors include: First pregnancy, multifetal gestation(!), psychological factors (such as being under a lot of stress), female fetus (!), and family history (among others that are more disturbing so I won't list them)

Etiology is uncertain, though it may be related to high levels of hCG or hyperthyroidism, stress, gastric reflux, and reduced gastric motility

Management includes being NPO (not eating or drinking anything) initially, followed by IV hydration, and medications such as B6, Reglan (helps with nausea and gastric motility), Phenergan (best antinausea med EVER but causes sedation), Zofran (pretty safe/standard antinausea med), and in severe cases it warrants parenteral (IV such as TPN) or enteral (gastric tube) nutrition.

While she does have a great prognosis with excellent nursing care and other medical care, the risks to the fetus include: low birth weight, intrauterine growth restriction, and pre-term labor.

So you see it is a very serious condition. She's probably been vomiting continuously for the past 2-3 days, and I'm very happy to hear that she has sought treatment.

[Source: Maternity & Women's Health Care, Lowdermilk et al (2012)]
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Congratulations Catherine! The first baby Cambridge and the Queen's third great- grandchild is on it's way!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Was expecting this announcement today actually - after her engagements last week her fuller face and the use of bags/flowers round her tummy area and reading things on twitter the last few days.

Hope all goes well with Kate as this annoucnement has been forced on them early due to her hospitalistion

Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch

From what I have gathered from BBC News 24, it reports that in order to control as much as possible information on the couple, it was decided to make the announcement straightaway before any speculation or rumour arose as to the Duchess's admittance to hospital. I tend to agree with their stance - can you imagine the media would have a field-day of innuendo and gossip all at the Duchess's expense as to what's going on!
It would be pointless to advise the world that the Duchess was in hospital due to an in-growing toenail and then a couple of weeks later say "well, actually we lied, she's pregnant" - then instead of everyone being happy, the press would criticise them for making up stories and they would be no better than a common newspaper.
Of they could have just kept quiet about the admittance and announced the pregnancy when it was at a safer stage. They practically forced their own hand.

If she's 12 weeks gone she'll probably be due at the end if June beginning of July. My sister is approaching her 18th week and is due of 11th May.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry's going to be a uncle, James is going to be a uncle, Pippa is going to be an aunt. Mr. & Mrs Middleton is going to be grandparents.

Okay, I'm too excited.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Serene Highness

The couple had to announce. What excuse could they give for Catherine missing her engagements this month?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am actually really excited and I didn't think I would be this excited. They are not my favourite Royals, but I am literally jumping up and down, haha.

I hope it all goes smooth sailing for her and William. Hyperemesis, if she has true Hyperemesis, is horrible and I hope she feels better soon.

I am thrilled for them and both their families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
The couple had to announce. What excuse could they give for Catherine missing her engagements this month?
Sophie's pregnancy with Louise was announced well before 12 weeks because she was not going to go to the Cayman Islands with Edward, so they had to announce it or people would speculate. Though people always speculate. I am glad they have announced it though, as I was a bit sick of people speculating.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

I also agree that the couple had no choice, and had to announce now. Kate has an engagement on Wednesday and two other engagements next week. There was no way they would have been able to keep this quiet. The media would have been all over it.

I see that 'Kate Middleton' and 'royal baby' are trending on twitter
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Kate Middleton pregnant: Prince William and wife Kate expecting their first baby as palace confirms the Duchess is pregnant. - hellomagazine.com
Commoner

Congratulations to the entire family, I'm very happy for them!!

I've never heard of acute morning sickness before, but after looking it up, it sounds like poor Kate has a rough time ahead of her. Hopefully everything will turn out fine in the end and both she and Baby Cambridge will be healthy and happy.

Tags
cambridge, catherine, pregnancy, william