The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can remember when the Duke and Duchess were dating seeing pictures of the Duchess, open purse with a pack of ciggarettes in it and the press going nuts that she smoked... I guess they could have been someone elses and she was just holding them. Anyway, if she did smoke lets be thankful that she is not now...

LOL! Someone gave the Duchess of Cornwall their cigarettes to hold. Wouldn't believe it if my kids gave me that excuse, and I surely don't believe it here.

Not sure of the no support story is true, but if so it could be because the hospital is in London and the family live in Bristol. The hospital is establishing a fund for the family.

from the BBC
"King Edward VII's Hospital said it "has at all times offered to provide whatever assistance and support it can to Mrs Saldanha's family".
Her family made a private visit to the hospital on Monday, which has now set up the Jacintha Saldanha Memorial Fund. This will offer financial support to Mr Barboza and her children."

Last edited:
There seems to be an awful lot in the press these days about the Cambridges not having a nanny or at least not a full time one as if this is a fact. Have they ever actually said in an interview or released a statement saying this themselves or is it just a lot of speculation by the usual "palaces sources" starting all this up?

The DM and the Telegraph have printed this story - the same story because they feed stories between each other.

Catherine and William do not talk to anyone about their personal lives - except perhaps their parents. This story, in my opinion, has been made up. Its like setting a trap *rather like the incident with CP Mary). The Cambridges will undoubtedly need a nanny and then the DM (followed by the Telegraph) will say that they have gone back on what they had said about bringing up their children "normally" without a nanny. As the majority of working mums in the Uk use nannies/au pair or child minders - that's a joke.

EDIT: Other papers will pick up on the story as well. If there is one thing about reporting that I would like is that they have to name their source - even if it is another paper. A give away is the suual "it has been reported" - that's another newspaper but they are never specific.

Last edited:
The DM and the Telegraph have printed this story - the same story because they feed stories between each other.

Catherine and William do not talk to anyone about their personal lives - except perhaps their parents. This story, in my opinion, has been made up. Its like setting a trap *rather like the incident with CP Mary). The Cambridges will undoubtedly need a nanny and then the DM (followed by the Telegraph) will say that they have gone back on what they had said about bringing up their children "normally" without a nanny. As the majority of working mums in the Uk use nannies/au pair or child minders - that's a joke.

EDIT: Other papers will pick up on the story as well. If there is one thing about reporting that I would like is that they have to name their source - even if it is another paper. A give away is the suual "it has been reported" - that's another newspaper but they are never specific.

This was well stated - and I agree completely. If anyone ever meets a "normal" child these days, please let me know. :lol: Thank heaven, they and we are all unique!

Why are some people acting like they have never hold their friend items (wallet, keys, etc) in their purse for their friend? I have when I was carrying a bigger purse than my friends and we were going to the same events

Last edited:
I can imagine them being brilliant grandparents. I'm sure we'll see lots of cute pictures after the baby is born! :) :flowers:

I'm in agreement here. The Duchess of Cornwall is excellent with children, and the Prince isn't far behind. The baby will be very, very loved.

The royal family seems to be doing a fairly first rate job of raising children, despite the difficulties of being in the public eye.

The Hospital is getting fried in the press for not provinding counseling to the family of the nurse that died. Can some explain for those of us not covered by the NHS...

There are articles in the press about how the family of the nurse who died had not received an offer of counseling from the hospital.

Here in the US, counseling would be covered under our healthcare plan offered by our employer (if our employer offered one). Additionally most US employers have an additional service called an EAP (for Employee Assistance Program) that offers counseling for all the things employees run into in their lives. They can call the EAP and get limited help with everything from financial issues to a child having behavioral issues to depression. If the employer offers mental health care (and most that offer insurance do) and the issue needs more attention, the EAP can refer to providers.

In addition, many employers will offer special employee counseling (usually sourced through the EAP or the healthcare plan) for special workplace issues - a fire, a death at work, whatever. It's offered as a one off and is discretionary but deductible for tax purposes. Technically - it is for employees, but in special circumstances they will field relative calls and sort them out and refer to care givers. It also has significant PR value.

From a NHS coverage and business perspective - what is the prevailing practice for counseling in the UK when there is a work related death? Is the family usually counseled by employer provided services and if so is that through NHS - or is it an additional offering and what is customary for a significant employer?

Often as not here in the US, a family of an injured employee wants the employer to be hands off and prefers to make their own decisions about counseling. Of course, they want the tab to be picked up - but they often do not trust counselors offered by employers in these cases.

How is it different in the UK and with NHS?
Well, I am in the U.S. and we don't offer counseling to families of deceased employees. I just help them to fill out life insurance paperwork since I am the benefits person.

About 20 years ago I worked for a different college, and a coworker was murdered. They did bring in some counselors for us, but not the family. Where I am, at least, even EAP is only offered to employees, not their families.

So it surprises me that anyone expects the hospital to offer counseling to the family.

Last edited:
Grief counseling is part of the employee's life insurance policy for the surviving family members...

Every morning I wake up there's a story about Kate's illness and morning sickness. I'm getting really annoyed hearing about these stories. I'm happy for the couple but I don't know if I can handle another 7 or 8 months of continuous baby talk and talks of morning sickness! I don't mean to offend anyone, but this is all becoming too much.

Grief counseling is part of the employee's life insurance policy for the surviving family members...

Interesting, but that's not the case where I work. We must have the cheap package. ;)

So the Duchess has an official engagement tomorrow with the Duke but from what I've heard no official decision has been made and it's basically going to end up being a last minute decision depending on how Catherine is feeling tonight.

Until then I am off to bed

Last edited:
Who cares if Kate used to smoke; who cares if she still does or did before she found out she was pregnant. God I hate this new idea that smoking is the greatest sin known to man.
This story about the nanny is going to cause people in a few months to quote it like its the truth and Kate and William actually said it themselves.

But why not a day care school! I will consider first a day care school...everything is "open" we can see what really happens there...otherwise I will consdier a nany inside my family...I will not trust anyone due to this circunstances...beeing a royal...

Who in either William or Kate's family could be a nanny to their child? Both their siblings have lives of their own to lead and families of their own to start. William had nannies so I'm sure he appreciates them more than people who have never had experience with them.

Why wouldn't William and Catherine trust their child to a nanny that isn't a family member? William had several nannies himself, I'm sure this baby will have at least one nanny too in his/her lifetime.

We must remember that so much of what is reported is tabloid spin/innuendo

Max Foster‏@MaxFosterCNN
Duchess of Cambridge pulls out of Hobbit premiere tomorrow - 'will continue to rest privately'

St James's Palace said:
"The Duchess of Cambridge will not attend The Hobbit premiere tomorrow evening and will continue to rest privately. The Duke of Cambridge will attend as planned."

Every morning I wake up there's a story about Kate's illness and morning sickness. I'm getting really annoyed hearing about these stories. I'm happy for the couple but I don't know if I can handle another 7 or 8 months of continuous baby talk and talks of morning sickness! I don't mean to offend anyone, but this is all becoming too much.

So then don't read them, simple as that. If they're causing you so much distress, don't click on any articles about it or switch the TV channel if they mention it. Nobody's forcing you to read about this story. There are untold numbers of articles about the Kardashians, for example, but as I have zero interest in them I don't read them.

There is so much coverage of William and Kate because the demand for that coverage is substantial. If people weren't interested, the stories wouldn't attract hits, sell newspapers or attract viewers and the amount of coverage would dwindle. The media are responding to what their customers demand.

One thing I am not impressed by are the rumours that they wont attend Christmas. If that is true, if I were Sophie, Camilla and the other wives as they aren't allowed to spend Christmas with their family.

Who says they aren't allowed? Does Camilla not leave Sandringham after Christmas lunch to spend time with her children and grandchildren?

If Kate is feeling deeply unwell (which, as many of the truly harrowing stories of HG sufferers on this forum suggest she probably is), it would be entirely understandable for Kate to stay with her family resting. The RF don't 'rest' at Christmas, it's a major Downton Abbey-style undertaking by all those attending, including at least 3 or 4 outfit changes per day. That alone must be very stressful for female members of the family.

I totally agree. Spending Christmas with the Middletons rather than at Sandringham would seem more logical for someone not feeling 100% up to par. If she wanted to, at her parent's home, she could sit back in sweats and pink fuzzy slippers all day easier at Sandringham where there's a strict itinerary and dress codes. It wouldn't surprise me though if they did head to Sandringham after the feasting is done to spend time with Will's family though.

Right now, Kate really has to do what is best for Kate.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is known that when you marry into the family, Christmas lunch is spent with the Queen. The wives families are allowed to stay on the estate, but they attend Church and have lunch with the Queen. Autumn attends every year, even though her family live in Canada. If Catherine is allowed to spend the day with her family this year then it isn't fair on the other wives. Sophie stayed with the Queen over Christmas even though she had just given birth to her son, and she stayed when she had suffered an ectopic pregnancy.

It is just my opinion that if Catherine is allowed to not attend the Church service and spend Christmas with her family then the other wives do not have to go and their husbands and them can spend the day with their families. I have no doubt that when Charles is King, Andrew and Edward's families will likely not attend Sandringham as much though, so I suppose it isn't really a big loss if Catherine doesn't go this year as we will see her every year after that no doubt.

Might not be a good presentation if she is throwing up at lunch and during Church.
By Christmas she might have a few hours of freedom, but she would have to be careful eating the lunch. Maybe not worth the risk?

She must be feeling a bit better, she is taking medicines for that....Medicine works these days...:)

From what I understand, Camilla attends the church service with the royal family and have Christmas lunch there but then she goes and spend Christmas with her own family at her country house. Last year I remember William & Catherine attended the church service with the royal family and had lunch but then there were pictures released of them at the Middleton's.

I'm guessing it's okay with The Queen for some members of her family to split their time with the families for Christmas. The Wessex's usually stay at Sandringham for awhile. Charles & Camilla usually go back to Birkhall.

I just hope Catherine will be well enough to attend the church service with the family at Sandringham. If not, William & Catherine just may miss this years Christmas celebrations. I'm just hoping everything will be okay by that time.

But why not a day care school! I will consider first a day care school...everything is "open" we can see what really happens there...otherwise I will consdier a nany inside my family...I will not trust anyone due to this circunstances...beeing a royal...

How odd that you would consider a public day care centre, which look after many children and where staff come and go, safer than having a nanny that you have personally interviewed and reference checked and who will live in your own home looking after only your child. Given that royals both work and live in the same place, and that their public engagements can happen at any time of the day or night a nanny seems the most practical solution. The parents also get to see the nannies interaction with their children at different times during the day and night. A public day care centre could also present rather unique security issues and exposure to the paps.

Exactly, especially as any royal nanny will probably already have history with either the Royal Family or their close friends and will come with impeccable references. It wouldn't be surprising if they choose someone they already know.

Also- their security team will thoroughly vet this person. All in all, a nanny with the references, experience, and security clearance that a a royal nanny will require will probably be the safest hands anyone could leave a child in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom